• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice for new build [UK] - £2000 budget

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Yeah I've seen then too,is it still OCZ the only brand doing them?

There are others but they're usually aimed at enterprise/server/workstations more than they are the gaming enthusiast.

I like the idea that you stick it right to the MOBO and it meant to be really fast,a lot faster than a classic SSD..there may be one problem however,you know that by current way of the MOBO layout(any brand) the PCI slot is wether covered by the VGA card or it too damn close which could cause heat problems on the PCI SSD card.

Yeah, choosing the right board or GPU will really make a difference, generally they all use pretty similar layouts but even though these current PCIe SSDs are only 4 or 8x - they'll still fit in a full size slot. Forward thinking is key here.

Personally, if I was in Igg's position I'd most likely get a new GPU first and then the PCIe SSD as they'll most likely get smaller when more companies start releasing theirs.

here you can consider these companies

UK:

Aquacooledpc.co.uk
Unknown location / not listed on site, fair range of components from all major brands.

Candccentral.co.uk
Located in Worcs, again most of their range is made up of well known brands but they also carry plenty of Phobya products.

Chilledpc.co.uk
Located in bridgend, offering many well known brands and some self branded items along with modding services such as case powder coating, also known to have produced custom blocks. Good range of bitspower fittings.

Overclockers.co.uk
Located in Stoke, OCUK carry regular PC components and have a separate, limited water cooling section carry a decent selection of parts from Dtek, XSPC and others.

Specialtech.co.uk
Located in Wales, they offer conventional PC components along with a wide selection of major brand watercooling parts and in particular a large range of AC Ryan modding products.

Scan.co.uk
Located in Bolton, this is another large e/retailer with a large stock of PC components and a smaller water cooling section with many popular brands, much of the Feser range can be found here.

Thecoolingshop.com
Located in Lincoln with their own selection of pre built ready to go cases and broad selection of most of the bigger manufacturers especially Koolance.

Thewatercoolingshop.co.uk
Located in Redditch, good selection of parts from all well known brands.

Watercoolinguk.co.uk
Located in Manchester, offering most prominent manufacturers products along with their own pre-modded WC cases. Good range of Thermochill options.

Watercooledpcs.co.uk
Located in Brigton, broad range of parts and offering case modding services along with a large compliment of Zalman's line.

Watercoolingshop.co.uk
Based in Durham, supplies almost exclusively XSPC products.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I would just like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions for this build - Thanks all, much appreciated!

Secondly I thought I would update you with my progress....

As of 5 minutes ago I ordered the parts from Scan (I managed to get them to price match most stuff if cheaper on other sites). Thumbnail attached of ordered parts.

There are a couple changes from original spec and I changed a couple of the bundle parts:

The Fortress case I wanted (with the uprated air penertrator fans) is out of stock everywhere and not due til Jan 17th, so I opted for the Raven instead - basically the same case but steel rather than Aluminium and no sound dampening on side.

I changed the CPU cooler to the Noctua D14 as it seems to be a great choice for cooling and silence.

I changed the RAM to Dominator - just to give a bit more headroom for OCing and also it matches the mobo colours a bit better.

The OCZ Ibis SSD is out of stock but due in a few days so should not hold up shipping too much.

And now the plan:

I intend to build and test before xmas, but once done it will go under the tree untill xmas day...boooo :p

However on or around xmas I intend to post some benches of the SSD performance in Win 7 64bit pro.

I also intend to post some screens etc of the Iphone app that connects to the mobo over bluetooth to allow access to BIOS for OCing, monitoring temps, voltages etc.
There is also a Windows app that does the same that connects over a dedicated USB port on the mobo.

Best regards all

Iggy.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 413

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Nice! enjoy your new rig :D

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
I'm jealous!

:p

System Name this_is_so_leet_it_needs_no_name
Processor Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus P8 P67-M Pro
Cooling MUX-120 with Dual Fan
Memory Samsung Memory DDR3 2133 Overclocked (non LP)
Video Card(s) XFX ATI/AMD 5870 1gb @ [tbc]
Storage 2*2tb Samsung Raid 0 + 64gb Kingston SSD
Display(s) BenQ G2420HDBL LED monitor
Case Lian Li PC-60 old skool alu case
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX/XD PCI-Express (great)
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Win 7 64bit
So close to sandy bridge too! I hope it works out for you, that SSD looks great :)

Need to find a good job lol

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
So close to sandy bridge too! I hope it works out for you, that SSD looks great :)

Need to find a good job lol

I considered sandy vag err bridge but the PC i've ordered should be good for 2-3yrs if I throw another GPU at it at some point.

Good luck with the Job - always remember quality of life > job, no point earning lots of cash if you have zero time to engoy it! :toast: