• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces I3-945GSE-D Fanless 3.5'' Mainboard with Atom-based Solution

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
In the view of the demand for an ultra mini size platform with fanless design strongly inquired from customers, MSI IPC announces the latest 3.5" small form factor, I3-945GSE-D, based on the Intel Atom N270 processor and the Intel 945GSE chipset which gives devices based on it enhanced graphics and power-saving capabilities.

MSI I3-945GSE-D is fanless and comes to meet the requirements of an ultra-low power platform, especially in power input design, MSI I3-945GSE-D support wide range DC 9V ~ 36V inputs, and it also supports for numerous display, includes VGA and LVDS.

MSI I3-945GSE-D is a premium, industrial 3.5" small form factor mainboard touting an impressive feature set for its size. The board offers a full range of I/O, including GPIO, 4 USB 2.0 ports, 5 RS-232 COM connectors, and a powered SATA connector. It supports SO-DIMM memory slots for DDR2 SDRAM and up to 2GB. Networking is provided by one Intel 82574L GbE LAN. Moreover, it features one compact flash slot and one mini-PCIe slot for easy expansion. It also supports onboard watchdog timer for added system redundancy and security. MSI I3-945GSE-D has onboard power and a fanless design, making it an excellent all-in-one, high-end solution for use in custom enclosures and embedded applications.

Key Features:
  • CPU and Chipset: Intel Atom N270 processor and Intel 945GSE chipset
  • Wide Range Voltage Input for DC Sku (9~36V)
  • Memory: DDR2 400/533 SO-DIMM, maximum up to 2.0 GB
  • VGA Interface: built-in Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
  • LVDS interface: Onboard 24-bit Dual channel LVDS connector
  • SATA: one SATAII interface with 3Gb/s transfer rate
  • LAN Interface: Intel 82574L Gigabit Ethernet
  • Audio: Realtek ALC887 HD audio codec
  • GPIO interface: Onboard 8-bit Digital I/O interface
  • Extended interface: CF Slot and Mini-PCIe slot

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
at first i thought cool - its a stripped down cheap nettop. then i saw the spec and....

fine its a nettop, not a netbook - it doesnt need all these powersaving features because it needs to be constantly plugged into mains

but a Atom N270? can someone from MSI please tell me why an old N270 and not something more upto date from the Atom range???

even Intels ULV or AMD's V series netbook processors would be cool - ontop on that, its a Intel built in GPU which will stuggle to run anything above 360p an ION based chipset would have been fucking ownage

so what is the purpose of this nettop? how can they expect any of this shit to sell when there are so many better options available with better features then this crap??

honestly wtf - really WTF

NETTOP = FAIL

----

the good:

power saving/low power consumption

the bad:

-can only be upgraded with a maximum of 2Gb ram
-N270 Atom - performance severely limited
-Cant put your own GPU in
-struggles to play anything above 360p = youtube-fail
-Not ION platform

- in otherwords - DONT BUY THIS CRAP!!

bear jesus

System Name Gaming temp// HTPC
Processor AMD A6 5400k // A4 5300
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 PRO4// ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1284 // stock phenom II HSF
Memory 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance // 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance low profile
Storage 64gb sandisk pulse SSD and 500gb HDD // 500gb HDD
Display(s) acer 22" 1680x1050
Power Supply Seasonic G-450 // Corsair CXM 430W
at first i thought cool - its a stripped down cheap nettop. then i saw the spec and....

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/files/2010/07/demotivational-posters-prenatal-facepalm.jpg

fine its a nettop, not a netbook - it doesnt need all these powersaving features because it needs to be constantly plugged into mains

but a Atom N270? can someone from MSI please tell me why an old N270 and not something more upto date from the Atom range???

even Intels ULV or AMD's V series netbook processors would be cool - ontop on that, its a Intel built in GPU which will stuggle to run anything above 360p an ION based chipset would have been fucking ownage

so what is the purpose of this nettop? how can they expect any of this shit to sell when there are so many better options available with better features then this crap??

NETTOP = FAIL

----

the good:

power saving/low power consumption

the bad:

-can only be upgraded with a maximum of 2Gb ram
-N270 Atom - performance severely limited
-Cant put your own GPU in
-struggles to play anything above 360p = youtube-fail
-Not ION platform

- in otherwords - DONT BUY THIS CRAP!!

Umm i though it was not for home usage, as in it was designed to be used in an industrial setting?

Mainly embedded into random machines used for mass production, they why its ultra low powered so can't really do anything that anyone here would want :laugh:

I have no idea.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss

I tend to agree, in the same form factor they could have a dual core atom and the ion chipset making this MUCH much more attractive for a micro PC, that or the new zacate platform even.

oh well, for its size it's still a useable PC. I could see this making its way into solutions for tills at businesses or home automation needs.

Belated huge post

Although from an enthusiast's perspective you're 100% right, the target market is POS/Businesses, and therefore you kind of need to step back and take a different look at it.

Whenever you develop solutions for that kind of market, you need to have a stable platform that's predictable, thus explaining the use of rather archaic hardware. In these cases MSI knows pretty well the issues that exist with the chipset and as well as solutions.

If we went with kind of what obviously is the better option performance wise, the CULVs, ions, you'd find that you'd be turning businesses/OEMs into lab rats with the increased point of failures. For this kind of product, I don't think that's really tolerable.

Heres an extreme case; the space shuttle, they use the 8016 Intel CPUs or something in them because they're so predictable, and reliable.