• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CM Storm Sentinel: Right Click stuffed

Sensi Karate

System Name l The '1 pvvn j00 ^oobeh?!? l
Processor l Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz @ 4.2GHZ l
Motherboard l Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.1 l
Cooling Corsair H20 Watercooling l 6 Fans l Thermaltake DualOrb VGA Cooler
Memory l Kingston Hyper X 1066MHZ DDR2 6GB l
Video Card(s) MSI R6870 1GB Twin Frozr II
Storage l OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD l 2x1TB WD Caviar Green 7,200RPM Raid 0 l My Book WD 500G External l
Display(s) l BenQ E2200HD 21.5" HD l
Case l HAF 922 l
Audio Device(s) l Realtek ALC889A l Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound Headset
Power Supply Corsair 750W HX
Software l Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit l
Benchmark Scores I ownz tehmz n00bez! >:D
Hey all, haven't been active on this forums since April due to real life and other things but its great to see its still alive and kicking. :)

Anyways I came on because I knew someone here would have a solution to my problem. I've had my CM Storm Sentinel Mouse for about a year now and its been great for me and helped me get those BOOM HEADHSOT moments on BFBC2 and most recently own up in LoL. However yesterday my good luck with the mouse turned around when it started acting up on me. The right click slowly deteriorated yesterday from really easy to press down right click (not much applied force needed compared to the left side) to absolutely NO force needed to press down the right and finally to it sticking on right click and couldnt stop right clicking. Eventually it completely stopped right clicking and now the right click doesnt even work even with as much force I apply to it as possible.

I took off the clicker covers on-top of the mouse and looked at the two tiny green clickers (dont know the technical term for them). The one on the left side which is working perfectly, when pushed down needs the correct amount of applied force to click and makes a 'clicking' kind of sound and then pops back up when let go. The right side however is completely weak and when pressed down no 'clicking noise' is made and barely moves.

I tried taking off the outer shell of the mouse (the case of the mouse I guess) and nearly took it off completely (there is like three sections to the outside case which confuzzled me) however their are these 'snap in' or 'click in' parts which join the inner and outer case (which im trying to get into) together, and its impossible to click them out since there is no room for me to get something in their to unclick it.

I really want to fix this mouse as soon as possible and RMA and other manufacturer warranties are a no go zone since I don't have the receipt or anything else and its warranty is nearly gone (to my knowledge) in Australia.

If you have any knowledge of how to dissamble the CM Storm Sentinel Mouse or any mouse similar or have had a similar problem on your mouse which you fixed/know how to then please share. :D

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It sounds like either the microswitch has failed, or there are dry solder joints connecting the switch. I don't think getting another microswitch is going to be possible, because these are usually custom parts and not easily (or cheaply) obtainable.

Does that button have the normal "clicky" feel to it, or does it feel degraded? If so, then the switch is certainly faulty and you're out of luck.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, then you can try touching up the solder joints and hoping for the best.

I reckon your best bet is to just get another mouse. I'm sorry I can't give better news on this one.

But hey, welcome back to TPU. At least some things are looking up! :toast:

Sensi Karate

Storage l OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD l 2x1TB WD Caviar Green 7,200RPM Raid 0 l My Book WD 500G External l
Case l HAF 922 l
It sounds like either the microswitch has failed, or there are dry solder joints connecting the switch. I don't think getting another microswitch is going to be possible, because these are usually custom parts and not easily (or cheaply) obtainable.

Does that button have the normal "clicky" feel to it, or does it feel degraded? If so, then the switch is certainly faulty and you're out of luck.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, then you can try touching up the solder joints and hoping for the best.

I reckon your best bet is to just get another mouse. I'm sorry I can't give better news on this one.

But hey, welcome back to TPU. At least some things are looking up! :toast:

Thanks for the warm welcome back qubit. :toast:

The button does have a sort of degraded feel to it and doesn't click as it used to. It degraded from perfect clicking yesterday to where I am now, with not able to right click at all. Yesterday when it started showing signs of losing its normal click I took off the cover of the right clicker and it still had 'some' clicky feeling to it. Im just staggered at how fast it went from good to bad. :ohwell:

If anyone else has any information privvy to help I'd be more then welcome to it. I don't really want to fork out another $100 on another gaming mouse.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Same thing happened to my right-click and middle-mouse button (my mouse is years old). I took it apart with a screwdriver and cleaned a ton of dust and dead skin out of it and it's back to almost-new again.
Hope this helps man :)

Sensi Karate

Case l HAF 922 l
Same thing happened to my right-click and middle-mouse button (my mouse is years old). I took it apart with a screwdriver and cleaned a ton of dust and dead skin out of it and it's back to almost-new again.
Hope this helps man :)

Thanks for your help man. Im'ma try and take it apart again to see if I try and get it apart this time. :p

Any more information would be invaluable. :)

System Name Benny
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Thanks for your help man. Im'ma try and take it apart again to see if I try and get it apart this time. :p

Any more information would be invaluable. :)

If you're having troubles getting it apart, take off the rubber feet on the bottom, screws are sometimes hidden under there. I never bothered putting the rubber feet back on as it slides better without them (they were very worn).
Other than that, it's an easy job ;)

Sensi Karate

Case l HAF 922 l
If you're having troubles getting it apart, take off the rubber feet on the bottom, screws are sometimes hidden under there. I never bothered putting the rubber feet back on as it slides better without them (they were very worn).
Other than that, it's an easy job ;)

Do you have the same mouse as me? Since this mouse has three different outer shells all joined together and they are all joined to the inner shell. The two joints are exactly in the middle of each outer shell and need to be 'clicked' to remove them, and its impossible to get anything in there.

System Name Benny
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Software Win7 Pro x64
Just noticed that the mouse is supposed to come with a 2 year warranty. I know you said about it being a no go, but people have RMA-ed mice and been sent another with no questions asked. Someone RMA-ed one and just told them what shop he bought it at (the shop had since closed and they managed to get out of showing a receipt).
Someone emailed logitech about a broken mouse that was yeeeears old and got sent an RMA number, he went through with it and got a new one well outside of warranty.

Personally, I'd try the RMA before taking it apart. If unsuccessful, I would just force it apart and get the superglue out :p but then I've never spent money on a mouse, so I wouldn't feel like I'm losing out if I broke it ;)

Can't seem to find any guides on the net about getting it apart, unfortunately.

Sensi Karate

Case l HAF 922 l
Just noticed that the mouse is supposed to come with a 2 year warranty. I know you said about it being a no go, but people have RMA-ed mice and been sent another with no questions asked. Someone RMA-ed one and just told them what shop he bought it at (the shop had since closed and they managed to get out of showing a receipt).
Someone emailed logitech about a broken mouse that was yeeeears old and got sent an RMA number, he went through with it and got a new one well outside of warranty.

Personally, I'd try the RMA before taking it apart. If unsuccessful, I would just force it apart and get the superglue out :p but then I've never spent money on a mouse, so I wouldn't feel like I'm losing out if I broke it ;)

Can't seem to find any guides on the net about getting it apart, unfortunately.

Thanks for all the help man, much appreciated. :D

The reason I didn't want to RMA was because I couldn't find the receipt and had nothing to say I actually bought it. However after scrounging around my wardrobe I found the receipt and after ringing up, they actually had documents themselves of my purchase so I'm RMA'ing the bitch and getting a brand spankin' new one. :D

Cheers for your help. :D

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You got the receipt, brilliant. :D No more messing, just get that replacement. :)

Sensi Karate

Case l HAF 922 l
You got the receipt, brilliant. :D No more messing, just get that replacement. :)

Haha yeah I just want to have my 5600 dpi twin lazer back so I can start Booming Headshot's and getting First Blood's. :D

Thanks for the help all, much appreciated. :)