• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remote ‘Kill Switch’ Added to Intel’s Newest Processor.

MohawkAngel

It's not new. Far Far long time ago the old intel had each one a serial number to recognize them over internet and used for transactions. But after people complained for privacy they stopped using this feature. My Celeron 1.2 still have it and i remember that even pentium 667 had it.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
No matter what they say it's intended for, in the end it is just another form of control. I initially planned to move to Bulldozer anyways.

A "Remote Kill Switch" and a "Clock Limiter" that comes with the CPU you've spent hard earned money for, the idea just really sucks to me, so this is the last straw for me. Although my current i7 CPU is definitely worth every cent I've worked for so I don't know why they just couldn't keep things as they are :(

System Name Gearbox || Server
Processor i5 3570K @ 4.0Ghz || E8400 @ Stock 3Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 || Gigabyte EP41-UD3L
Cooling Stock || Stock
Memory 8GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 @ 1600mhz || 4GB Kingston Value DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270X Direct CU II TOP @ 1120/1500 || N/A
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB || 1TB WD Green, 2TB WD Green, 3TB WD Red
Display(s) HP x23 LED 23" Full HD Panel
Case Corsair 200R || Open-Air
Audio Device(s) Audioengine D1 + Logitech Z623/Audio Technica ATH-M50 || N/A
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650 W || Antec Neo Eco 450 W
Software Windows 8.1 Update 3 Pro 64 || Ubuntu Server 14.04 64
I guess they'll figure out the hard way when people move to bulldozers to shovel sandy bridges out of the way...Get it! That was a PUN!

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Remember, Google (and other search providers) has an unbelivable amount on of data on virtually everyone that uses the Internet. The reason why they keep that information safe and secure is so that they don't alienate their customers (everyone who uses their software).

Intel is going to behave the same way with this. If it isn't the owner of it calling it in, it should take nothing short of a court order for Intel to do it for anyone else. Most likely, the feature will be completely disabled unless you register your processor with Intel (the software aspect of it) much like OnStar is useless without first registering your VIN with OnStar.

Still, I could see that technology being very useful on a $40,000 stolen vehicle moving at 80+ MPH on the highway with five cops in pursuit but I can't really see that being useful on a $1000 laptop that typically doesn't pose any serious threat to anyone. As such, the "fear" comes into play when Uncle Sam twists what "threat" means and tries to pressure Intel into killing some poor hacker's computer. The sad thing is that such behavior isn't a stretch of the imagination. My hope is that Intel would fight tooth and nail to protect their customers from governmental oppression.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
Still, I could see that technology being very useful on a $40,000 stolen vehicle moving at 80+ MPH on the highway with five cops in pursuit but I can't really see that being useful on a $1000 laptop that typically doesn't pose any serious threat to anyone.

The whole concept of this is not aimed for controlling people (although it could definitely be used for that) but rather for disabling stoled corporate property. Our laptops at work already have a similar remote disable ability in their chipsets somewhere - It is nothing new. Intel's main customers are large OEMs, and they are probably the ones who requested in on behalf of their large corporate customers. This thing needs to be enabled from the machine itself, and if it is not enabled, it will not function.

Last edited:
System Name Micro Mule
Processor Intel i7 950 Stock + Noctua NH-C14
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Gene MicroATX
Cooling Noctua 120mm/80m Fans
Memory Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus nVidia GTX 580
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD
Display(s) LG 42LD650 42" LCD HDTV
Case Silverstone Fortress FT03
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD + Sennheiser PC360 Headset
Power Supply Corsair AX850 - 850W Modular Gold
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
... Sandy Bridge CPUs are made in occupied Palestine (aka Israel), right? Could the Zionists have something to do with it? :D ... it seems like one of their ideas in their continuous efforts to control the world ... they already control most of the world's media, so why stop there? ;) ...

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I think we should avoid runaway diarrhea of the mind here. That's how you get most conspiracy theories and ancient alien programs on the history channel. Yukikaze's explanation makes sense and has the plus of not being insane.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Not a traitor, but they are talking espionage. The person that stole the info,however is an american at the pentagon, in the army and is a traitor.Assange has the right to print it, but the person who gave him the info should be prosecuted. And yes, this coincides quite nicely with the internet regulation they are wanting to pass. Problem though is this: the FCC is voting on Dec 21 amongst themselves whether they will regulate the internet, without a bill from congress, who previosly voted it down, and without permission from the courts, who already ruled they could not do it. No matter what, they are gonna regulate the internet, whether we like it or not. They are simply going to deem themselves as having the power to do so, just like the EPA has deemed themselves to have the power to decide what gasses are harmful to the environment, with no oversight. Sorry a bit off topic..

So the US is trying to become the new China.... the very country the Western World has been criticising for the past 30 years for their Human rights record :laugh:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
please dont tell me anyone who read the original article assumed "can be remotely disabled via 3g" means that the cpu has a little cellphone chip inside that is always on and is just waiting for "kill" input

also it seems this feature is for a special processor called "core vpro" that you probably have to pay extra for

Last edited:
System Name Micro Mule
I think we should avoid runaway diarrhea of the mind here. That's how you get most conspiracy theories and ancient alien programs on the history channel. Yukikaze's explanation makes sense and has the plus of not being insane.

... I was clearly joking, and I'm surprised that you didn't get it, was it so hard to understand? :wtf: Anyway; for the second part; the Zionists control over world media is a fact and not fiction, and definitely not a part of any conspiracy theory. If you are interested I can refer you to some enlightening references :nutkick: ...

PS ... why were you offended? using terms like "diarrhea of the mind" and "not being insane" is uncalled for ... please keep the discussion within the limits of decency ...

Last edited:
System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
please dont tell me anyone who read the original article assumed "can be remotely disabled via 3g" means that the cpu has a little cellphone chip inside that is always on and is just waiting for "kill" input

also it seems this feature is for a special processor called "core vpro" that you probably have to pay extra for

I heard of the vpro series of the Intel Processors too, their main purpose though is to be disabled in the event that the system it is a part of, such as a laptop, is stolen so that the system it is a part of cannot be accessed. Also with the cell phone chip you would find that it would mean that the processor can be traced without the need of the internet which does traces through the use of IP addresses, not a bad way to counter proxies and those hiding behind them.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
... I was clearly joking, and I'm surprised that you didn't get it, was it so hard to understand? :wtf: Anyway; for the second part; the Zionists control over world media is a fact and not fiction, and definitely not a part of any conspiracy theory. If you are interested I can refer you to some enlightening references :nutkick: ...

PS ... why were you offended? using terms like "diarrhea of the mind" and "not being insane" is uncalled for ... please keep the discussion within the limits of decency ...

And I'm surprised you didn’t realize it was a general statement, as there was no @ and plenty of conspiracy crap was mentioned before your post. As for the joke, how could someone know you're not serious when you're seriously going on about zionists. The media is naturally controlled by the wealthy, the religious label they’re stuck with at birth is irrelevant as most are non-practicing. They align their religious views with whatever will get them the most reader/viewership to maintain that wealth, regardless of their personal beliefs. Or at least that’s how it works in the states. Now when someone brings some random polarizing off topic crap into a thread you can always expect me to respond negatively. Hot button issues should simply never be mentioned here unless directly relating to tech.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
I guess they'll figure out the hard way when people move to bulldozers to shovel sandy bridges out of the way...Get it! That was a PUN!

Perhaps the two CPU's are then very aptly named.

My mind was made up for quite some time to get a 2600K the very minute I could get my hands on one. But now, bulldozer all the way (Unless I hear something similar about AMD).

oops...erm..what Wizzard and Yakiyuze said.

But I will keep my eyes peeled to see if the remote kill switch is a default feature on the Sandy Bridge chips or not. The article seems to suggest or at least states nothing to suggest that it isn't.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Not even.
Device serial number is all they would need, and of course that the driver for the chipset in the OS was enabled to look for the kill bit.

They would also have to know where to send the kill bit. If it is over a 3G network, the machine obivously has to have a 3G reciever, and they have to know the IP for the 3G reciever given by the network provider or the MAC address.

If they are doing it over wireless or LAN connection again they have to know MAC address or IP of the interface card to send the signal to.

The processor by itself isn't smart enough to constantly be monitoring the airwaves for the kill command, it has to be specifically sent to the machine.

It has nothing to do with the driver for the chipset in the OS being enabled to look for anything. Read the article again, the kill switch can be activated even why the OS isn't running. Meaning it can be activate when sitting at the BIOS screen, or when booted off a bootable CD to bypass the original OS.

I think that is exactly what the "AMD is the way to go because of this" people are assuming.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
The only people this seems good for is those who have extremely private data and don't want anyone to see whats on their HDD/SSD.

Otherwise its completely moot. If someone steals your laptop and you turn it off, they are just going to steal another one.

System Name Micro Mule
And I'm surprised you didn’t realize it was a general statement, as there was no @ and plenty of conspiracy crap was mentioned before your post.

Sorry, I thought that you were replying to me since it was sent directly after my post, my mistake.

As for the joke, how could someone know you're not serious when you're seriously going on about zionists.

The big grin should have given me away there!

The media is naturally controlled by the wealthy, the religious label they’re stuck with at birth is irrelevant as most are non-practicing. They align their religious views with whatever will get them the most reader/viewership to maintain that wealth, regardless of their personal beliefs. Or at least that’s how it works in the states.

Not all Jews are Zionists, in fact only a few are, and there are some non-Jew Zionists as well. Zionism has nothing to do with religion, it's only about power and influence, although it uses religion often to facilitate achieving certain objectives.

Now when someone brings some random polarizing off topic crap into a thread you can always expect me to respond negatively. Hot button issues should simply never be mentioned here unless directly relating to tech.

In this point you are right; one should not bring in controversial political topics to a tech forum, it just doesn't fit. Then again, you are not a moderator, so don't self-appoint your self as one.

Thatguy

I support this feature for users who like to remotely turn on and off the computer. However, if other 3rd parties have this feature, and it is known to the public, I will simply not buy the processor, cause I am paranoid, as well as scared to death of the government.

I understand that some modern computers do in fact have a kill switch already, such as shown when Israel flew in planes under the Iranian radars, only to have the radars not fire on them, and mysteriously not work.

anyone who would leave their computer setup for such things is a absolute fucking fool.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Yeah I'm sure intel has nothing better to do than disable their customers CPU's for lols and lose billions. Get a grip people, there is obviously a demand and a reasonable explanation for it.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i remember seeing a presentation that "security in case of loss/theft" is the 2nd most requested feature for mobile users, like 60%

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah...lost a phone or laptop with sensitive info? No problem.

However, real security requires all hardware have some sort of function like this..I suppose a TPM module might be the second part of it.

I understand why they'd so this, and how it's useful, but that doesn't mean I like it.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
Yeah I'm sure intel has nothing better to do than disable their customers CPU's for lols and lose billions. Get a grip people, there is obviously a demand and a reasonable explanation for it.

No.

They are not going to to do that as that would be suicidal. But the implementation of this technology is definitely a step further towards a situation where censorship by remote CPU locking is possible.

I for one don't want to live in a world like the world that is slowly developing around us and oppose any incremental measures that serve towards the creation of a tightly controlled and suppresed global population.

This is one of them.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Holy shit people, take off the tinfoil hats.

MohawkAngel

Conspiracy going on! Intel and Santa Claus working hand in hand to kill random computers to make more sales! They will control what you buy over the net to share it with publicist and make you expense!!! Intel make money, Santas make money with transport and big corporations makes moneys by selling their products....Damns thats one of a hell conspiracy going there !!!!

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
Conspiracy going on! Intel and Santa Claus working hand in hand to kill random computers to make more sales! They will control what you buy over the net to share it with publicist and make you expense!!! Intel make money, Santas make money with transport and big corporations makes moneys by selling their products....Damns thats one of a hell conspiracy going there !!!!

Yeah yeah. Whilst the creeping confiscation and infringment of basic freedoms spreads, lets all just laugh at people who dare to notice the changes that are going on.

I will no doubt see you and all the other ignorant asses in the Happy Work Camp for ignorant stupid proles in 20-30 years time.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Yeah yeah. Whilst the creeping confiscation and infringment of basic freedoms spreads, lets all just laugh at people who dare to notice the changes that are going on.

I will no doubt see you and all the other ignorant asses in the Happy Work Camp for ignorant stupid proles in 20-30 years time.