• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows needs to format this disk

speedy11131

Processor Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-M68MT-SP2
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB
Storage Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB
Display(s) JVC 32"
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply RP-550
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
That message pops up, even though it was formatted with NTFS before.
Now Disk Manager states that it has the RAW filesystem, even though it worked just the other week fine as NTFS. Is there a way to repair the file system on the fly, or do I have to recover files? because atm, I don't have enough space to recover all the files on it, so I was wondering if there was an on-the-fly method.

I'm not limited to Windows programs and tools, as I have a laptop running Linux Mint, so if any linux centered methods exist I'd like to try them as well...

I do have it running through a USB to SATA adapter, so could that be the issue?

streetfighter 2

Is there a way to repair the file system on the fly, or do I have to recover files? because atm, I don't have enough space to recover all the files on it, so I was wondering if there was an on-the-fly method.
I'm not currently familiar with any "on-the-fly" method (as you described it), but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Anyway about it you should always make an image of a drive that you're trying to recover just in case the recovery tool screws up and makes it worse.

I do have it running through a USB to SATA adapter, so could that be the issue?
It's possible. I'd try attaching it via some other means before performing any recover operations.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
I had it happen before, on a HDD and a memory stick. I did the same thing both times:
Formatted the disks (quick format) then run Recuva on them both. All of the files were intact and working perfectly; except for some Reason save files (Reason didn't like it and wouldn't open them).

I searched high and low for the same sort of program you're looking for but I couldn't find one so I had to settle for the format :(

EDIT: The HDD was in a USB external caddy and I forgot to click safely remove (I always forgot). Did you forget to safely remove?

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
TestDisk

TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk can:
Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
Fix FAT tables
Rebuild NTFS boot sector
Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
Fix MFT using MFT mirror
Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
Undelete files from FAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
Copy files from deleted FAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.

TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know little or nothing about data recovery techniques, TestDisk can be used to collect detailed information about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.

This recovery example guides you through TestDisk step by step to recover a missing partition and repair a corrupted one.

I have not had to use it, but others have with good results, from want I have read.
Goodluck.:)

Edit:

I don't know if you have tried yet, but... did you try running Windows error checking on it with the fix options enabled?
How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7

Last edited:
System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
TestDisk
I have not had to use it, but others have with good results, from want I have read.
Goodluck.:)
Edit:
I don't know if you have tried yet, but... did you try running Windows error checking on it with the fix options enabled?
How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7

It's worth a go. I tried TestDisk before, it didn't help with my problem but this was about 6 months ago, so the newer version might just do it.
I wish I had a dodgy memory stick now, just to try and fix it :laugh: