• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help : My Sapphire HD 5670 1GB died during bios update

mmmeijer0

Hi guys ,

first of all i want to tell you exactly what happend ..

My screen flickert from the day i installed my Sapphire HD 5670 1GB videocard .And i've been looking for a solution to that problem (The screen was lightning up and dimming all the time while websurfing etc) .So today i game across this website and found 2 bios updates for this vga card .I downloaded Sapphire.HD5670.1024.100111.bin and the winflash20113 file ,i ran the WinFlash ATI tool and selected my new bios .bin .Than i pressed programm (i don't know if that was the clever move) .Than a pop up came up with a message like "Vbios loaded succesfully" .Than the system hang ,i left it for 10min to see if the process was still running but nothing more happend .I couldn't restart Windows (7 Ultimate x64) the normal way so i gave my PC a soft reset .And quess what ,nothing more than a black screen and the end of the fun .

I installed my 7300GS card to get online again for now ..

Does anybody have a tip for me? I don't have the option to start my PC with 2 vga-cards installed because i only got 1 PCI-e slot ,no AGP slots and no PCI-VGA-cards to work with :banghead:

I hear my PC booting up (but without screen) zo maybe i can get it to boot to Windows or DOS without my vision .But it's hard to flash a bios/firmware without seeing what i'm doing ..

Ok guys ,i hope to hear something from you .

Greetings ,Martin

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Does your motherboard have onboard graphics by any chance? if it does i think you can use that to boot the pc and then you should be able to flash your ati card.

Wish i could give you more info but i havent flashed a GPU before so i don't know any of the commands needed.

System Name Zen2600
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Captain120EX
Memory 2x8 GB Patriot Viper Steel 360000 @3400MHz [18-19-19-39-80] DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ @stock
Storage WD Black 500GB NVME
Display(s) LG 32GK850F
Case NZXT H440 EnvyUS
Audio Device(s) Custom HP AMP + Sennheiser HD380
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard ElE Game1
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
My screen flickert from the day i installed my Sapphire HD 5670 1GB videocard .And i've been looking for a solution to that problem (The screen was lightning up and dimming all the time while websurfing etc)

You sure it wasn't monitor's fault in the first place? ATI Winflash can brick your card if other programs are running in background. -I know, it's too late now....
If you are lucky, you can go to a friend who has two PCIE slots and flash the card;).

mmmeijer0

Hi ,

thanks for the fast responds .No i don't have an onboard vga card on my motherboard :(

I am burning a Hiren's Boot CD at the moment and see if i can get to a dos-prompt with that .I placed a map called flash on my d: drive and created a .bat to start the flash operation .So i'm gonna boot my PC like a blind man and run the .bat tho i can't see anything .Via youtube i managed to see how the Atiflash tool works and it doesn't require you to say y or n or anything ,so the running of flash.bat will be enough .

I'm gonna try this in a sec .And check the forum later if that didn't work out :(

Greetings ,Martin

mmmeijer0

Hi guys ,

i got great news .I've red that i could boot my pc with another vga-card and my Sapphire in it .I just knew i got an S3 Virge 4mb PCi card around here (never used new in the box ,just couldn't find it ever more) .Today i woke up pissed of like an idiot and searched for that S3 Virge ,i found it!

I installed both cards and told the bios to use the PCi card ,i got to windows with both cards in it and tried to flash with an older bios than "Sapphire.HD5670.1024.100111.bin" ,this worked and the card was alive again .Than i wanted the lastest bios on it and flashed again using "Sapphire.HD5670.1024.100111.bin" and quess what ,broke the damn thing again :(

So i had to start over again and put "Sapphire.HD5670.1024.100103.bin" on it and it was alive again .So it wasn't a bad flash ,it was a bad bios file .I got it from this site by the way :)

So use "Sapphire.HD5670.1024.100103.bin" and don't even try "Sapphire.HD5670.1024.100111.bin" ..

Thanks all!

Greetings ,Martin

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Memory 6gb DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD6870
Storage Seagate 1tb
Display(s) Acer AL2216W
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Ultra LS-550
It may be a case of the later BIOS being made for a specific model of Sapphire card but won't work with others even based on the same chipset. I've seen at least 4 different part numbers for the Sapphire HD6870 and all of them are supposed to be reference designs as far as I know (at least I haven't seen a Toxic or Vapor-X version of these in retail yet). I don't know if they all use the same software, but I would think there would be at least minor differences or else why 4 different part numbers?