• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any 6850s with its pci-e connector pointing upward?

It seems I do need a video card with its pci-e connector pointing upwards like it's seen commonly from 460 GTX series.

Well, I can get 460 GTX, but I kinda want 6850 instead, so I am asking. I've searched Newegg and NCIX without any luck. I am willing to import from Asia or Europe.

I just want a HD6850 with pci-e power connector pointing upwards.

Anyone seen any ?

Here is a shot of my pc interior. The case is Lian Li PC-Q11s (silver).

Attachments

• IMG_2134.jpg
    IMG_2134.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 570

joeyck

i dont think any exist man :( i just went through new eggs refrence and non refrence... soz.

6870 has it pointed up if that could help u out... :(

Nah, I don't want 6870. It's way overkill for me and most importantly, it's too long and won't fit in the case.

joeyck

dam... how bout u use a converter? then just stretch the molex part up and make it seem like it actually is up?

Well, my PSU is Silverstone SSF 450w with just enough cables to feed all my devices. I don't have a spare molex cable off PSU. lol.

Actually, I do have a spare one, but it's being used for something else and I hate to suck power off that line. It may be too much.

joeyck

wrong link

Athena Power 6" PCIE 6 pin "Y" Split to Two PCIE 2...

here

sorry for double post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros: - Decent build quality.
- Can split to any combination of two 6/8 pin connections.
- Adds a bit of length to the cable you attach it to.

Cons: - Extra cable means more cable management headaches. If this is what you need though, this con is unavoidable.

Other Thoughts: Used this with my antec BP550 plus PSU, antec 300 case, and MSI 1GB GTX 460 cyclone GPU. Was able to tuck most of the cable into a little compartment in the case specifically for hiding cables.

Make sure you have enough power going into the splitter to support everything you are hooking it up to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he used it for an MSI as well... u should be able to use it on ur 6850... u should def, look to upgrading PSU though but for now it should get it done.

Last edited:
No, I am not upgrading my PSU. I chose such a small SFF for my specific purpose. The PSU is about 1/3 size of a normal PSU. It saves me a lot of headaches of cable management and space management.

Thanks for the link. I am looking at it. It might work, but I am not a diehard AMD fan. As long as something works for my need, I go for it. Though since I used HD 5770 for quite a long time, I just want to stick with AMD (or ATI for that matter).

I guess I might wait for 560 also which is rumored to be right around the corner.

System Name WTF it actually turns on!
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard MSI 990fxa-gd80
Cooling Raystorm swiftech mcp655 xspc dual bay res Rx240 Rs240
Memory 16gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Power color R9 280x
Storage 2x1tb+2x2tb seagates
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case Tt core v51
Power Supply CORSAIR GS700
What do you mean by upwards?

out of the side like this:

or the back like this:

both of these 6850's are on newegg

The first one I am looking for, but it's out of stock. ETA may be 4th of Jan, but it keeps on delaying ETA numerous times, so I am not counting on it.

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
System Name WTF it actually turns on!
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard MSI 990fxa-gd80
Cooling Raystorm swiftech mcp655 xspc dual bay res Rx240 Rs240
Memory 16gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Power color R9 280x
Storage 2x1tb+2x2tb seagates
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case Tt core v51
Power Supply CORSAIR GS700
I think the asus and SAPPHIRE Toxic 100315TXSR are the only ones with the connector like that.

Thatguy

Dude I don't think you have enough case airflow for this card. I don't think you have enough case airflow period for any extended gaming use at all.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Dude I don't think you have enough case airflow for this card. I don't think you have enough case airflow period for any extended gaming use at all.
It wouldn't be too bad if the OP actually do some wire management.
Right now it is really a mess in there.

The first one I am looking for, but it's out of stock. ETA may be 4th of Jan, but it keeps on delaying ETA numerous times, so I am not counting on it.
The MSI Cyclone maybe?

System Name Omen
Processor i7-4710HQ
Cooling Dual fan/heatpipe
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 4GB GTX 860M
Storage 256GB PCIE SSD/256GB PNY UHS-1 SD Card
Display(s) 15.6' 1080P
Case Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Brick
Software Win 10
Wow, that is one of the most cramped cases I've ever seen. You should really pull out the clip ties and organise your case a bit.

Thatguy

he should really get a bigger case and deal with it. the airflow in that small case will cuase problems.

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
At first I thought of 90º PCIE adapters, but googled around and only found one. But then I though I'd just suggest you hardwire the sucker in place!!!!

lol, the rig has run torture runs for a week fine (CPU, GPU at 100% for a week). You guys are really underestimating hardware and what they are built for. The rig is smaller than my printer. Can't do much management.

Try building 1U/2U servers for datacenters. It gets worse than tbis.

Thatguy

lol, the rig has run torture runs for a week fine (CPU, GPU at 100% for a week). You guys are really underestimating hardware and what they are built for. The rig is smaller than my printer. Can't do much management.

Try building 1U/2U servers for datacenters. It gets worse than tbis.

1u and 2u racks usually have good cross flow cooling.

Um no there are tempature specs on the hardware, your about to exceed them, think of it this way, your putting a 400w hairdrye in something the size of a shoe box and providing near zero ventilation.

I'd bet you cpu idle temp will be nearly 50c on the low side if your lucky. gpu could easily be in the 70's.

get a properly sized case with good airflow, this isn't a data center with downclocked cpus running at 40% of the power of a standard home pc.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
try pulling the main fat power cable that is blocking the front fan to the side of the psu and flattening it a bit. It looks really :shadedshu right now...

1u and 2u racks usually have good cross flow cooling.

Um no there are tempature specs on the hardware, your about to exceed them, think of it this way, your putting a 400w hairdrye in something the size of a shoe box and providing near zero ventilation.

I'd bet you cpu idle temp will be nearly 50c on the low side if your lucky. gpu could easily be in the 70's.

get a properly sized case with good airflow, this isn't a data center with downclocked cpus running at 40% of the power of a standard home pc.

70c is fine. I've had WCG rigs running in 80s for years and still running fine with minimum air flow.

So what if my cpu idles at 50c? As long as I have 10 degree headroom from T-junction, it isn't going to explode, and hardware will be fine even if they may not be server-grade.

Even with good airflow, especially 1U servers run in 70 ~ 90c until the end of their life. I've personally had a P3 rig running in close to 90c for 8 years before it was deemed "unproductive" anymore.

Yes, hardware have specs, but 70c isn't going to kill or decrease it's longevity significantly enough.

try pulling the main fat power cable that is blocking the front fan to the side of the psu and flattening it a bit. It looks really :shadedshu right now...

Not going to, at least not for now, because I keep changing stuff inside. The CPU heatsink I have is physically touching the back of my video card. I've placed a piece of anti-static paper as a temporary solution, but I don't like that. I've ordered few more heatsinks and they are on the way. I have to pull out the mobo to change heatinks, so I am not going to deal with cable management until heatsink is settled for good.

Oh..., by the way, why am I defending myself? lol I've built plenty of SFF builds previously, so I *think* I know what I am doing at least, heh.
I will check the MSI Cyclone out. I don't think I saw it at Newegg and NCIX though.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Memory 6gb DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD6870
Storage Seagate 1tb
Display(s) Acer AL2216W
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Ultra LS-550
I think you'll be able to maintain lower temperatures with some form of external exhaust video card. The reference 6870 might be a bit overkill, but could save you some money in the longer term by not leaking heat inside the case. More heat=shorter component life. You can find 6870's for the same price as a 6850, so it's not like it's going to cost you any more for the card. Mine was $210 after $20 rebate, which is the same price as a fast 6850, and cheaper than some.

Last edited:

Over50

System Name Self Built May 2008
Processor Intel E8500 Duo 2 Core 3.16GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500
Memory OCZ3P2000EB4GK DDR3 2000MHz (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) ATI HD 6870 Twin Froz II (MSI)
Storage Seagate 1TB SATA (x3)
Display(s) Acer P243W 24in LCD
Case Thermaltake Armor Plus
Power Supply Zalman ZM850-HP 850W
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit OS
Modification is needed

Uhm .. looks like your focusing on a certain GPU which your Tower /Case isn't large enough for and possible lack of air ventilation.
Appears you need many Upgrades. How about saving your money until you can afford a better System or one that you can Build for future upgrades.

My best suggestion is to buy a cheap ATX Tower so you have more room which you might be surprised has included a Higher Watt Power Supply and cables / connectors to support your current rig. Look for the Special Deals like on NewEgg or TigerDirect.

Uhm .. looks like your focusing on a certain GPU which your Tower /Case isn't large enough for and possible lack of air ventilation.
Appears you need many Upgrades. How about saving your money until you can afford a better System or one that you can Build for future upgrades.

My best suggestion is to buy a cheap ATX Tower so you have more room which you might be surprised has included a Higher Watt Power Supply and cables / connectors to support your current rig. Look for the Special Deals like on NewEgg or TigerDirect.

Sigh, no offense dude, but I know what I am doing, and I did not chose to build a SFF (Small Form Factor) machine just because of lack of fund. I am no extreme OCer. I am rather an extreme SFF builder. I find pleasure in pushing hardware to its limits not by OCing, but by pushing their physical limit with minimal space and air flow.

Anyway, I ordered GTX 460. All current HD6850 are reaching length limit.

Last edited: