• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple starting to use new screws to prevent users from upgrading their hardware!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You are referring to EFI which requires the driver to be built into it basically. For the longest time Apple said only they can make Apple OS computers. There was a brief time they allowed others to create Mac OS computers and I had one when they came out. They were branded PowerMacs and they had IDE rather than the overpriced SCSI at the time. They were cheaper and performed the same. I put PC optical drives in it. I even installed an IDE CD burner and an IDE dvd rom in it from a PC build I had. Saved alot of money that way. :laugh:

Restricted graphics cards was true even before they went EFI. When (if?) EFI becomes standard on PCs, you will still be able to choose from the whole market and Apples will still be restricted, I reckon.

Locking out other companies from building clones is a classic example of their control freakery to keep the computers high priced and under their total control. Man, I aint paying for that.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Unfortunately, that's not necessarily true. Brand image and marketing are more important to a product's survival than geniune technical excellence. Think VHS v Betamax.

I'd still like to see just one example of how an iPad is genuinly superior to a notebook or netbook, which it's edging out. I'm not being funny with this question, I'd really like to see somone try and defend this. I doubt that I'll get a convincing answer.

And no, you can't just brush off the anti Apple sentiment as being because they can't be overclocked or modded by a fringe group of enthusiasts. And yes, being ripped off by being locked into buying "Apple only" overpriced upgrades is a genuine reason to criticise them. They also have limited hardware choices with things such as graphics cards. You have a choice of hundreds for a PC from the whole market, but only a few "Apple approved" ones with a special BIOS for a Mac. This sounds like a dictatorship to me.

Can you even put a GTX 580 in an Apple, for instance? Or does it need a special "Apple" BIOS? Does an Apple desktop even have a PSU beefy enough to run one? I doubt it. You can't buy one either, not even an Apple made one at an inflated price. This is definitely something to bitch about.

These are all fine examples of the market being led by the will of Steve Jobs, rather than Apple meeting customer demand, which is what should be happening. No wonder phrases like "Cult of Mac" and "Reality distortion field" are bandied about so much.

First, not all Apple products are overpriced. We can go into specifics if you like, but Mac Mini, iMac and MacPro are very fairly priced in their base configs.

Second, you have to compare them to other OEM computers with the same features and specs, not home built, as that's not a fair comparison.

Third, iPad serves a niche that a netbook does not. Those that want a touch screen tablet, are not looking to buy something with a keyboard. Show me a capacitive, multi-touch netbook for cheaper, and we'll talk. I do feel it's overpriced, but then again, I'm not it's target market. I would never own one unless it came in under $300.

Fourth, Apple does not cater to an upgrader. Doesn't mean you can't upgrade. I can throw a 580 into a MacPro no problem, and most of the models have plenty of juice to run it, too. You can also throw upgraded cpus in them, or upgraded ram. Plenty of things. As much as a regular PC? No, but that doesn't change the fact that they are upgradeable.

And how is it a dictatorship? Is anyone forcing you to buy Apple products? No they are not.

I own an iMac, and an iPhone 3GS 16GB. I don't suffer from the walled garden problem, because I do my research. That said, I'm going Android for my next phone.

Last edited:

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
I would glue the damn thing together :D.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
Restricted graphics cards was true even before they went EFI. When (if?) EFI becomes standard on PCs, you will still be able to choose from the whole market and Apples will still be restricted, I reckon.

Locking out other companies from building clones is a classic example of their control freakery to keep the computers high priced and under their total control. Man, I aint paying for that.

I believe they are taking advantage of the people that fall victim to its closed market propaganda. They have been doing that for years. I believe you may be looking at it wrong though. Your perspective is the minority. You don't need a GTX 580 for what Macs are built for. Although steam may create a larger Mac gaming demographic and change that.

I know man. I used to flash them to use them on Mac(Quake baby! :cool:). It was common for techies at the time. :D

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
To everyone correcting me for saying Apple products are top notch: I will bend a bit, but I will still maintain they generally have a higher quality than other things (maybe not enough to justify the pricing on lets say the Macbook Pro, but still!). :p

MohawkAngel

Looks like the "if you don't know computers inside-out you should be shot dead" mob is out doing crazy dances again.

Guess what? whatever you do in life there's always a group of people looking down on you too.

You are right on that one. Can I just know what the hell are you reading to have of signature like that?

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it then does it make a sound?

As apples use the latest quantum technology, the tree doesn't actually fall until you heard it.

OT: I helped a mate fix a mac earlier this year. TBH I was a little sad in the end that the parts were exactly the same a standard laptop parts. It wasn't even very difficult to fix.

I like Apple stuff though because they have got the right way of selling consumer goods. They make sure the hardware is compatible with the software and then make it wasy to use. There are some PC OEM's that could learn a bit from this.

I wouldn't pay the extra for a Apple product because there is no benefit for me. i'm quite happy to support my friends who have bought them though.

As for the funny lil screws, well that just adds more $ to the price and I'm not too sure this benefits anyone really.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
As apples use the latest quantum technology, the tree doesn't actually fall until you heard it.

OT: I helped a mate fix a mac earlier this year. TBH I was a little sad in the end that the parts were exactly the same a standard laptop parts. It wasn't even very difficult to fix.

I like Apple stuff though because they have got the right way of selling consumer goods. They make sure the hardware is compatible with the software and then make it wasy to use. There are some PC OEM's that could learn a bit from this.

I wouldn't pay the extra for a Apple product because there is no benefit for me. i'm quite happy to support my friends who have bought them though.

As for the funny lil screws, well that just adds more $ to the price and I'm not too sure this benefits anyone really.

Theirs plenty of laptop and desktop manufacturers that offer a fairly simple setup (ala all of them).

Apple's marketing is, "WERE BETTER! DONT ASK WHY THO"

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Theirs plenty of laptop and desktop manufacturers that offer a fairly simple setup (ala all of them).

So what? I really don't understand why their marketing gimmicks are constantly used as an argument against them. It doesn't magically make all of their products bad all of a sudden, which is really all that's important, not their commercials.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1

Apple is still the simplest - it's not for me though.

And Apples marketing is targeted at people who don't want to ask why, or want to waste their time hearing an answer. It all seems ok to me.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
i laughed hard at that article, apple is so stupid they rip people off so much, people just accept it cause there too ignorant to be like hey i could get a better pc/desktop for 1000's less. *massive facepalm* i dont even try to talk to mac users anymore, i just let them wallow in there self righteousness, its not my money let them be dumb

i laughed hard at that article, apple is so stupid they rip people off so much, people just accept it cause there too ignorant to be like hey i could get a better pc/desktop for 1000's less. *massive facepalm* i dont even try to talk to mac users anymore, i just let them wallow in there self righteousness, its not my money let them be dumb

I'm sure a lot of people in the world think the same of you for things you don't even remotely care about.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
I have a friend who recently bought a MAC Book pro for around $2k. He bought it as he thought everything was simple to use.
He's had nothing but problems since, He couldn't figure out how open office worked and got me to install MS Office on there. He can't connect to the internet at home as the ip setting are borked or something and no one here knows how to fix macs when they have problems. The nice shiny white case looks good, but get scratched real fast. It's only 6mo old and it looks like it's been through a few wars.

So now he is stuck with an expensive word processor that can only connect to the net when he is in a wi-fi area. He still thinks it's easier to use than a PC (all he does is browse the web and word process) and i just quietly laugh to myself.

Apple's marketing makes users believe that they really are easy to use. But just because they lack the advanced functionality of other computers and OS' doesn't mean that PCs are less easy. It just means they have more advanced features IF you want to use them.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Prices aren't THAT bad anymore, as long as you stick with the base and upgrade yourself (except for Macbook air as you can't upgrade yourself really)

The price [premium people pay for Macs aren't like they were a year or 2 ago

and I agree with the above.

How many times have I heard the zom in thing with 2 fingers though? why not implement it on laptops? seriously?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Unfortunately, that's not necessarily true. Brand image and marketing are more important to a product's survival than geniune technical excellence. Think VHS v Betamax.

it is true almost all of time. and even if the product that is not "as good" lasts longer then oh well. that is life. you can't always get what you want. go out and make your own better product.

I'd still like to see just one example of how an iPad is genuinly superior to a notebook or netbook, which it's edging out. I'm not being funny with this question, I'd really like to see somone try and defend this. I doubt that I'll get a convincing answer.

they are not superior to a notebook or netbook from a technical point of view. but from a usefulness point of view they are. especially for designers who dont want to lug around their laptops to every site they visit.

And no, you can't just brush off the anti Apple sentiment as being because they can't be overclocked or modded by a fringe group of enthusiasts. And yes, being ripped off by being locked into buying "Apple only" overpriced upgrades is a genuine reason to criticise them. They also have limited hardware choices with things such as graphics cards. You have a choice of hundreds for a PC from the whole market, but only a few "Apple approved" ones with a special BIOS for a Mac. This sounds like a dictatorship to me.

people make their own decisions about buying computer products. you are complaining because their reasons are different from yours. you sound like a child.

Can you even put a GTX 580 in an Apple, for instance? Or does it need a special "Apple" BIOS? Does an Apple desktop even have a PSU beefy enough to run one? I doubt it. You can't buy one either, not even an Apple made one at an inflated price. This is definitely something to bitch about.

exactly, you are bitching. nerd rage i call it. get over it. or have a heart attack. your choice.

These are all fine examples of the market being led by the will of Steve Jobs, rather than Apple meeting customer demand, which is what should be happening. No wonder phrases like "Cult of Mac" and "Reality distortion field" are bandied about so much.

apple clearly is meeting customer demand considering the hundreds of millions of units they have sold.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Replying to a guy like that calling him a raging nerd doesnt make you a nerd also? :nutkick:

when i first stated nerd rage it was a general observation so it was not directed at anyone in particular. he spoke up in defense. but i never called anyone a raging nerd.

streetfighter 2

they are not superior to a notebook or netbook from a technical point of view. but from a usefulness point of view they are. especially for designers who dont want to lug around their laptops to every site they visit.
One of my friends got an iPad for school. Ever since we've been trying to figure out what it's used for. It's pretty tough to write papers on it; it doesn't make sense to watch movies on it unless you're commuting; it makes a decent ereader but the battery life isn't so hot; you can browse the net with it easily enough but you're limited in your actions.

It just sits on his coffee table and we joke about how it is only decent when used for porn. On the other hand he brings his laptop everywhere.

(I don't want/expect anyone to tell me what the iPad is used for. I was merely making a joke/point.)

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
And you are comparing a home built rig to an OEM rig. Not a fair comparison. Compare Macs to other OEM computers with all teh same features and performance, and most of them cost exactly what they should. Laptops seem to be the main exception.
I have a friend who recently bought a MAC Book pro for around $2k. He bought it as he thought everything was simple to use.
He's had nothing but problems since, He couldn't figure out how open office worked and got me to install MS Office on there. He can't connect to the internet at home as the ip setting are borked or something and no one here knows how to fix macs when they have problems. The nice shiny white case looks good, but get scratched real fast. It's only 6mo old and it looks like it's been through a few wars.

So now he is stuck with an expensive word processor that can only connect to the net when he is in a wi-fi area. He still thinks it's easier to use than a PC (all he does is browse the web and word process) and i just quietly laugh to myself.

Apple's marketing makes users believe that they really are easy to use. But just because they lack the advanced functionality of other computers and OS' doesn't mean that PCs are less easy. It just means they have more advanced features IF you want to use them.
First off, him not being able to use Open Office has absoltuely nothing to do with it being a Mac. That only has to do with open office.

Secondly, being easy to use is purely subjective.

Lastly, all those "advanced features" are there in OS X as well. It's built on BSD, and you can open terminal, and do a shit load of things with it. You can even install Linux and BSD apps if you install the libs needed. You can use OS X just like you would BSD or Linux if you choose.

One of my friends got an iPad for school. Ever since we've been trying to figure out what it's used for. It's pretty tough to write papers on it; it doesn't make sense to watch movies on it unless you're commuting; it makes a decent ereader but the battery life isn't so hot; you can browse the net with it easily enough but you're limited in your actions.

It just sits on his coffee table and we joke about how it is only decent when used for porn. On the other hand he brings his laptop everywhere.

(I don't want/expect anyone to tell me what the iPad is used for. I was merely making a joke/point.)
I honestly don't like the iPad either. It's like iTouch only bigger, when they should've made it iMac w/touch screen, only smaller. People seem to suck them up for whatever reason tho. I wouldn't mind having a capacitive touch screen tablet, but not at that price. Some Android ones are releasing as well, and the ones with good gpus and capacitive screens seem to be the same price as iPad, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@Easy Rhino

I don't sound like a child. I make a good argument. Please don't be so dismissive and accusing me of just having "nerd rage" and offering me to have a heart atteck. It is really quite insulting. :slap:

I still haven't had that example showing how an iPad can be better in any particular scenario. How is it better for designers and what sort of "designers" are we talking about?

streetfighter 2 has just made a good example of someone that's got one and doesn't actually find it useful. So my question stands. I would really like a concrete example/scenario of where an iPad is superior to the laptop/netbook that it's edging out. I still haven't had this.

To show you what sort of answer I'm looking for, I can certainly make a few concrete examples of where laptops are superior:

Better than an iPad: more CPU & GPU power & compatibility with the vast range of PC apps and utilities. Better all round spec, in fact (including screen resolution). Some expensive ones even have enough processing power to play modern games very well eg the Eurocom brand: www.eurocom.co.uk

Better than a desktop PC: highly portable. Can be used to do work in a variety of locations, such as on a airplane or ship. Can be used "in the field" for data gathering in scientific situations where data has to be monitored, processed and possibly transmitted in realtme.

Modern laptops also have enough CPU/GPU power nowadays and contain a keyboard and trackpad, so that they can be used to completely replace a desktop and without any external support if someone prefers to. Some of my colleagues at work have this arrangement. I'd really like to see an iPad do that, or any keyboardless iPad style computer do that for that matter (attaching a keyboard or other peripheral is cheating. The computer must be used with the native functionality it came with).

You claim that Apple are meeting customer demand simply because they're selling a lot of their stuff. My point and that of others is that they're not, people are just getting suckered into buying their intentionally restricted products based on image and marketing. That's not meeting needs, it's a sly con on the clueless, non-technical person instead. Again, I refer to Mussels' example of how many people convert to a PC when he shows them the difference.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
@Easy Rhino

I don't sound like a child. I make a good argument. Please don't be so dismissive and accusing me of just having "nerd rage" and offering me to have a heart atteck. It is really quite insulting. :slap:

I still haven't had that example showing how an iPad can be better in any particular scenario. How is it better for designers and what sort of "designers" are we talking about?

streetfighter 2 has just made a good example of someone that's got one and doesn't actually find it useful. So my question stands. I would really like a concrete example/scenario of where an iPad is superior to the laptop/netbook that it's edging out. I still haven't had this.

To show you what sort of answer I'm looking for, I can certainly make a few concrete examples of where laptops are superior:

Better than an iPad: more CPU & GPU power & compatibility with the vast range of PC apps and utilities. Better all round spec, in fact (including screen resolution). Some expensive ones even have enough processing power to play modern games very well eg the Eurocom brand: www.eurocom.co.uk

Better than a desktop PC: highly portable. Can be used to do work in a variety of locations, such as on a airplane or ship. Can be used "in the field" for data gathering in scientific situations where data has to be monitored, processed and possibly transmitted in realtme.

Modern laptops also have enough CPU/GPU power nowadays and contain a keyboard and trackpad, so that they can be used to completely replace a desktop and without any external support if someone prefers to. Some of my colleagues at work have this arrangement. I'd really like to see an iPad do that, or any keyboardless iPad style computer do that for that matter (attaching a keyboard or other peripheral is cheating. The computer must be used with the native functionality it came with).

You claim that Apple are meeting customer demand simply because they're selling a lot of their stuff. My point and that of others is that they're not, people are just getting suckered into buying their intentionally restricted products based on image and marketing. That's not meeting needs, it's a sly con on the clueless, non-technical person instead. Again, I refer to Mussels' example of how many people convert to a PC when he shows them the difference.

But you haven't made any good arguments. All you have proven is that YOU have no use for them. You haven't proven anything else at all.

iPad (and any capacitive touch screen tablet) can be held, and used in a different portable manner than a netbook and laptop, making them less cumbersome. Nice try, laptops and tablets are a different market altogether. Why no animosity towards the likes of the Samsung Galaxy Tab? You might as well compare a smart phone with a netbook, as it's about the same as what you are doing now.

You are comparing 2 completely different things.

And again bitching about marketting? Why? All companies stretch the truth to sell things to you, but so many focus their attentions on Apple. I just don't understand the logic.

I am actually an owner of Apple products, because, at the time of purchase, they represented a great value. They are not the godawful evil, overcharging company you are trying to make them out to be.

I bought a 20" iMac w/Core2 when they first released them back in the day. It was $200 more than a PC version with all the same specs, with one major exception. The PC had a crappy Tn-Film screen, and the iMac has an IPS. Worth the extra $200. Actually, at the time, the price premium between a 20" tn-film and 20" IPS monitor averaged $300 or more. I'd call that a bargain. Today's iMacs still have that advantage.

I have an iPhone 3GS 16GB. When it was new, no other phone came close for LCD and touch screen abilities, or built in storage for that matter. All other choices had far inferior screens, and the OSes were locked by AT&T themselves to be a walled garden. At least the iPhone could be jailbroken. This is finally changing however, and it looks like some really good Android phones are due to hit the market. I will be making the switch.

The point is, Apple does make some good products if you do your research, instead of blindly hating them based on advertising.