• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple starting to use new screws to prevent users from upgrading their hardware!

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
@Easy Rhino

I don't sound like a child. I make a good argument. Please don't be so dismissive and accusing me of just having "nerd rage" and offering me to have a heart atteck. It is really quite insulting. :slap:

I still haven't had that example showing how an iPad can be better in any particular scenario. How is it better for designers and what sort of "designers" are we talking about?

streetfighter 2 has just made a good example of someone that's got one and doesn't actually find it useful. So my question stands. I would really like a concrete example/scenario of where an iPad is superior to the laptop/netbook that it's edging out. I still haven't had this.

To show you what sort of answer I'm looking for, I can certainly make a few concrete examples of where laptops are superior:

Better than an iPad: more CPU & GPU power & compatibility with the vast range of PC apps and utilities. Better all round spec, in fact (including screen resolution). Some expensive ones even have enough processing power to play modern games very well eg the Eurocom brand: www.eurocom.co.uk

Better than a desktop PC: highly portable. Can be used to do work in a variety of locations, such as on a airplane or ship. Can be used "in the field" for data gathering in scientific situations where data has to be monitored, processed and possibly transmitted in realtme.

Modern laptops also have enough CPU/GPU power nowadays and contain a keyboard and trackpad, so that they can be used to completely replace a desktop and without any external support if someone prefers to. Some of my colleagues at work have this arrangement. I'd really like to see an iPad do that, or any keyboardless iPad style computer do that for that matter (attaching a keyboard or other peripheral is cheating. The computer must be used with the native functionality it came with).

You claim that Apple are meeting customer demand simply because they're selling a lot of their stuff. My point and that of others is that they're not, people are just getting suckered into buying their intentionally restricted products based on image and marketing. That's not meeting needs, it's a sly con on the clueless, non-technical person instead. Again, I refer to Mussels' example of how many people convert to a PC when he shows them the difference.

while i dont want to spend any more time defending the tens of millions selling ipad, i will tell you that i never called you specifically a raging nerd. and i never offered for you to have a heart attack. you must reread my reply for context clues :nutkick:

Easy likes OSX because it's Unix-based. He likes anything Unix-based.

/sarcasm

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Easy likes OSX because it's Unix-based. He likes anything Unix-based.

/sarcasm

actually that is very true. the main reason i love OSX is because it uses a ton of similar code from BSD. many of the BSD developers have also worked developing OSX. :toast:

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
I honestly don't like the iPad either. It's like iTouch only bigger, when they should've made it iMac w/touch screen, only smaller. People seem to suck them up for whatever reason tho. I wouldn't mind having a capacitive touch screen tablet, but not at that price. Some Android ones are releasing as well, and the ones with good gpus and capacitive screens seem to be the same price as iPad, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

I feel exactly the same way, and this is what other manufacturer are going to do.

Ipad is a brillian idea, but limiting it to Ipod Touch functions is just damn stupid. Still, they marketed the idea, everyone loved it, therefore the tablet to buy is the expensive and barely useful Ipad

and about Easy Rhino's "raging nerd" thing, it is aboutall of us raging on Apple n stuff. It is true, we are acting like raging nerds :) and it was obviously not targeted to one person, but to all of us :roll:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
while i dont want to spend any more time defending the tens of millions selling ipad, i will tell you that i never called you specifically a raging nerd. and i never offered for you to have a heart attack. you must reread my reply for context clues :nutkick:

Well, it certainly came across that way - and it still does on rereading it. However, I accept you didn't mean it that way. Such are the vagaries of the written word, lol.

Not sure why you gave me a :nutkick: but hey, whatever, no offense taken. :)

And on the subject of the iPad, no problem, Easy. I'm not surprised that you don't want to spend any more time defending the iPad: I asked a very pertinent question and gave some killer examples to back up my argument. Yours is a fairly typical answer from someone that has just lost the argument (as in discussion, not rant or flame. :) ) and doesn't want to admit it. Yup, there is no situation where the iPad is better than a laptop. If so, it really shouldn't be so hard to prove it, now should it? I'm still keen to see some examples of its alleged superiority.

The iPad is just an overpriced (way overpriced) toy from Apple, just as myself and others have been saying all along. It's Apple and their clueless customers that deserve the :nutkick: for distorting the market with high-priced junk devices and edging out genuinely useful ones.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Well, it certainly came across that way - and it still does on rereading it. However, I accept you didn't mean it that way. Such are the vagaries of the written word, lol.

Not sure why you gave me a :nutkick: but hey, whatever, no offense taken. :)

And on the subject of the iPad, no problem, Easy. I'm not surprised that you don't want to spend any more time defending the iPad: I asked a very pertinent question and gave some killer examples to back up my argument. Yours is a fairly typical answer from someone that has just lost the argument (as in discussion, not rant or flame. :) ) and doesn't want to admit it. Yup, there is no situation where the iPad is better than a laptop. If so, it really shouldn't be so hard to prove it, now should it? I'm still keen to see some examples of its alleged superiority.

The iPad is just an overpriced (way overpriced) toy from Apple, just as myself and others have been saying all along. It's Apple and their clueless customers that deserve the :nutkick: for distorting the market with high-priced junk devices and edging out genuinely useful ones.

just because YOU can't come up with a reasonable use for the iPAD does not mean it is a pointless device that tens of millions of people have bought because they are brainwashed by steve jobs marketing.

some people just like cool devices. some people like not having to lug a cumbersome notebook around with them. why is that wrong? you did not give me any reasons why i should not buy an iPAD that actually disproved what i just said. honestly, if you dont like the iPAD then fine, don't buy one. it isnt the end of the world because people like to spend their money on cool and hip devices.

System Name Beast
Processor Core i7 10700K 4.5GHZ 24/7
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
Cooling Master Liquid 240
Memory 32 gigs DDR4 3600Mhz Gskill RipJaws
Video Card(s) AMD Raedon 5700XT
Storage 1TB Samsung NVME, Western Digital 4TB storage
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" HD
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1000 Watt full modular
Software Win10 ENT 64Bit
I like my iPad and use it all the time in meetings for taking notes, use it to check my e-mail and a bunch of other things. It is light weight and easy to use. I also have a laptop but prefer to carry my iPad because it doesn't weigh much and it's does just about everything a laptop will do.
I use Mac's and Windows machines, both are specific to a different application or job. Enough fighting about iPad's or laptop's get what you want to use and enjoy it.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
just because YOU can't come up with a reasonable use for the iPAD does not mean it is a pointless device that tens of millions of people have bought because they are brainwashed by steve jobs marketing.

some people just like cool devices. some people like not having to lug a cumbersome notebook around with them. why is that wrong? you did not give me any reasons why i should not buy an iPAD that actually disproved what i just said. honestly, if you dont like the iPAD then fine, don't buy one. it isnt the end of the world because people like to spend their money on cool and hip devices.

It's YOU who can't come up with one or two simple examples of how the iPad is better than a laptop/netbook, after I have posed this reasonable question several times now. I think you'll agree that it's the sort of question that any company would pose to justify their business case, should they contemplate buying them. Therefore, it's quite an important and standard question, no?

It's obvious you don't have the answer, or you wouldn't start accusing me. Come on Easy, I know you're better than this.

Saying that laptops are more cumbersome* and claiming that iPads are "cooler" - oh god :shadedshu - as reasons to buy isn't a compelling argument in their favour. The Cult of Apple and their Reality Distortion Field, indeed.

*Netbooks are arguably less cumbersome than the hallowed iPad, because they're real small and can be set down on a table and used with both hands, or used with one hand while holding with the other. With the iPad, one hand is always tied up (and getting fatigued) from holding it - remember extra keyboards and stands not allowed, we're talking about the basic functionality of the device.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
Metal rod + file = no problem

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg

Lets be fair though most people become pretty stupid when it comes to shiny things.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Last edited:
System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
I'm proud to say that Apple doesn't have single red penny in their pockets from me.

So am I.

See, I fixed it so it makes sense. :roll: Here's my proof. :D

That doesn't mean there aren't at least a couple people who do find the iPad useful, like TeXBill. :toast:

Your link doesn't work for me 'cause I am non-US and I dont know a US proxy addy that I could use. Any other source for the video?

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It's YOU who can't come up with one or two simple examples of how the iPad is better than a laptop/netbook, after I have posed this reasonable question several times now. I think you'll agree that it's the sort of question that any company would pose to justify their business case, should they contemplate buying them. Therefore, it's quite an important and standard question, no?

It's obvious you don't have the answer, or you wouldn't start accusing me. Come on Easy, I know you're better than this.

Saying that laptops are more cumbersome* and claiming that iPads are "cooler" - oh god :shadedshu - as reasons to buy isn't a compelling argument in their favour. The Cult of Apple and their Reality Distortion Field, indeed.

*Netbooks are arguably less cumbersome than the hallowed iPad, because they're real small and can be set down on a table and used with both hands, or used with one hand while holding with the other. With the iPad, one hand is always tied up (and getting fatigued) from holding it - remember extra keyboards and stands not allowed, we're talking about the basic functionality of the device.

You didn't read Texbill's post? I've read similar stories from guys "in the field" who love them because it makes everything the netbook does (even if it's not as powerful, but most guys working out there don't need alot of power) but it's easier to use. Need to place an order? Just tap away. Need to take notes? Just tap away. You can do all those things with a netbook, and if you have a table + mouse at your disposal you can do it as easy as with the iPad but at many times these guys don't get that.

And it's a lot easier to hold a tablet and writing on that than to hold a netbook and use the keyboard imo.

BTW, the Galaxy Tab is just as expensive as the iPad but it's not as easy to use. Do you hate Samsung as much as you hate Apple for that?

I get what you are saying. You went for it cause it's shiny... listen, I don't blame you. It's still pointless though

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

these are your opinions about the usefulness of the ipad. apparently in your small mind it simply cannot be possible for anyone to enjoy the ipad for being smaller than a latop/netbook and being a cool cutting edge piece of hardware. open up your mind. i believe you have been brainwashed by the typical apple hating e-nerds who have made it their mission to shit on products that they deem unacceptable or worthless. please get a life.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
You didn't read Texbill's post? I've read similar stories from guys "in the field" who love them because it makes everything the netbook does (even if it's not as powerful, but most guys working out there don't need alot of power) but it's easier to use. Need to place an order? Just tap away. Need to take notes? Just tap away. You can do all those things with a netbook, and if you have a table + mouse at your disposal you can do it as easy as with the iPad but at many times these guys don't get that.

And it's a lot easier to hold a tablet and writing on that than to hold a netbook and use the keyboard imo.

BTW, the Galaxy Tab is just as expensive as the iPad but it's not as easy to use. Do you hate Samsung as much as you hate Apple for that?

TexBill made his post while I was writing mine, so I only saw it when I posted. He does give some fair reasons why he thinks it's useful and is the sort of answer I was looking for from Easy. As one can see, I wasn't asking a trick question at all.

It doesn't really change what I'm saying to Easy though. I never did get a straight answer from him on where an iPad is better than a laptop or netbook, which kinda proves my point. He's welcome to give me that straight answer any time and I'll be happy to talk about it with him in a fair and reasonable way, without any stupid accusations.

Re the Samsung thingy: look, I particularly hate Apple for the way they lock you into their walled garden using DRM in all their products, in a way that other companies don't and I've explained this previously in this thread. I'm happy to go over it again here though with you.

As we all know, if one company starts being successful at flogging their stuff in a particular market using a particular business model, then all the others start copying them. Therefore, when Apple starts being successful at flogging overpriced, useless gadgets with very obvious walled garden lock-ins and restrictive control-freak policies, it only encourages the rest of them to follow suit with the same kinda crap. And we're seeing this now.

This marginalizes the genuinely useful devices in the market, making them rarer, more expensive and eventually obsolete at the hands of an inferior product. And this shit gets my goat.

I'm sure that I'd prefer the Tab to the iPad if I compared them (it likely has more standard interfaces such as USB for a start) but I doubt that I'd find the Tab much more useful in a real-world situation than the iPad, because of the inherent limitations of a handheld touch screen device. And it's bloody expensive.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
these are your opinions about the usefulness of the ipad. apparently in your small mind it simply cannot be possible for anyone to enjoy the ipad for being smaller than a latop/netbook and being a cool cutting edge piece of hardware. open up your mind. i believe you have been brainwashed by the typical apple hating e-nerds who have made it their mission to shit on products that they deem unacceptable or worthless. please get a life.

Obviously, I didn't see your post, as I was writing mine and guess what, here you go again with the insults. :shadedshu I see now that you're obviously not better than this. You have spectacularly failed to answer why the iPad is better and replaced it with personal insults, while I have been reasonable and nice to you throughout.

Frankly, I could say a few choice words about you my friend, but don't worry, I won't give you the satisfaction of having an excuse to nail me with an infraction. I'm sure you'd love that right now, wouldn't you?

However, I can say that you are being offensive and inflamatory and are making a bad example of a moderator.

streetfighter 2

Your link doesn't work for me 'cause I am non-US and I dont know a US proxy addy that I could use. Any other source for the video?
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/macheads/

It's really not worth watching IMO. It's exactly what you'd expect; a bunch of people who exhibit the same level of zeal as any religious fanatic. One woman even says that she has never knowingly slept with a Windows user :roll:.

The people in the documentary are annoying as hell and I only made it through it because I was writing code and drinking beer the whole time. Several of my friend's have macs, and none of them think highly of herr Jobs (or act like a goofy condescending dick). Anyone who is older than five knows Steve Wozniak is the real god :D.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/macheads/

It's really not worth watching IMO. It's exactly what you'd expect; a bunch of people who exhibit the same level of zeal as any religious fanatic. One woman even says that she has never knowingly slept with a Windows user :roll:.

The people in the documentary are annoying as hell and I only made it through it because I was writing code and drinking beer the whole time. Several of my friend's have macs, and none of them think highly of herr Jobs (or act like a goofy condescending dick). Anyone who is older than five knows Steve Wozniak is the real god :D.

Oh god these people are sad! :eek: :shadedshu

What about the woman who has never knowingly slept with a Windows user? What a basket case.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Obviously, I didn't see your post, as I was writing mine and guess what, here you go again with the insults. :shadedshu I see now that you're obviously not better than this. You have spectacularly failed to answer why the iPad is better and replaced it with personal insults, while I have been reasonable and nice to you throughout.

Frankly, I could say a few choice words about you my friend, but don't worry, I won't give you the satisfaction of having an excuse to nail me with an infraction. I'm sure you'd love that right now, wouldn't you?

However, I can say that you are being offensive and inflamatory and are making a bad example of a moderator.

i dont care if the ipad is better or not than a notebook. the ipad is found to be more useful for some people as it is smaller than a netbook and it is cool new technology. clearly you do not understand this. this entire thread is about people who are brainwashed into buying apple products. i am saying it is YOU who are brainwashed by the apple hating e-nerds. if you take that as an insult than i must have touched a nerve.

your idea that somehow apple's success will lead to the downfall of computers as we know it short sighted and obtuse. in the past 20 years microsoft has exploded around the globe despite the presence and resurgence of closed apple products. what's more the open source movement has made amazing traction over the past 15 years thanks to linux. so your entire argument is incredibly off base and wreaks of tin-foil hat conspiracies in 4chan.

furthermore, you didnt have to bring my mod status into this whole debate. it is clear now that you would like nothing more than for me to infract you so that it would bolster your pathetically small minded argument. now please, move along.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
As we all know, if one company starts being successful at flogging their stuff in a particular market using a particular business model, then all the others start copying them. Therefore, when Apple starts being successful at flogging overpriced, useless gadgets with very obvious walled garden lock-ins and restrictive control-freak policies, it only encourages the rest of them to follow suit with the same kinda crap. And we're seeing this now.

This marginalizes the genuinely useful devices in the market, making them rarer, more expensive and eventually obsolete at the hands of an inferior product. And this shit gets my goat.

I do kinda agree with you on this one, but I wouldn't say it makes other products less useful. And the reason others are mimiking Apples business model (at least when it comes to apps and the use of them) is because it's brilliantly easy. Most people find iDevices to be genuinly easy to use. I'm not sure I agree, I rather use Windows Mobile actually, but it's how things are. When it comes to that I cannot debate with millions of users who likes iOS and the way it's run. And if you want to make things easy for the non technical user (who are and will forever be the main target) you kinda have to wall it in and make the world narrower and more streamlined. IMO. Maybe there are models that would be truly open AND super easy to use, but I can't figure out what that would look like. Even the so-called open Android have a lot of restrictions AFAIK, but they are there for a reason.

When I first heard of Android I was like "ZOMG Linux hacking on a phone awesome!", but it's not like that. Why aren't Linux the most used OS in the world? it's free for gods sake! But it's also difficult to use for the avarage user. At least thats how I see it. I'm not a fan of the Apple way either, but people like it. Like ALOT of people, even techies that are aware of the entire "Walled Garden" thing.

BTW, if you want a phone that you can use anyway you want you might want to check out OpenMoko. It's a phone thats all open source, from the hardware up. ;)