• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Virus problems? read this

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I figured i'd write up another little help guide, since we get people asking this stuff all the time.

I just had to disinfect 3 XP machines, so all this info is fresh in my mind, as well as information on the latest wonderful viruses designed to screw us all over.

Here is my antivirus howto

First step: Isolation

Disconnect from any and all networks. isolate the machine.

That means you connect NOTHING to it, not even flash drives or USB drives. If you want to get an antivirus on there, burn a CD.

modern viruses write to flash drives and hard drives, and auto execute upon connecting to other machines.

Second step:
Manually trim the startup.

use MSCONFIG to stop anything starting with windows you dont recognise - some viruses and malware start with windows via here, so its a good starting place.

Secondly, use Hijack this. Its more complex, but also a great way to stop things starting with windows, that shouldnt be. It also shows objects that sneakily attach themselves to windows explorer and/or internet explorer.

Disinfection

Optional step:
One possible way to disinfect systems is to remove the hard drive and connect it to your system (do NOT boot from it, use it as an external/USB drive) and scan from there.
Its faster and can disinfect system (Windows) files easier, but puts your system at risk. I suggest doing this AFTER the other steps, when there is less risk to your own machine.
Its also possible to do this, copy all important files off the drive (scan them afterward!) and format the infected hard drive.

1. Save yourself some time, and clean all temporary files from your web browsers and windows. empty all caches. Ccleaner is a great help there. Lots of viruses hide there, so you might as well delete them all instead of wasting time disinfecting them.

2. Disable system restore. While you may think this is contradictory to a safe system, viruses LOVE hiding in system restore files. You restore your system, think all is well and those keyloggers and trojans just keep on working...

3. Try and use an offline antivirus, or get offline database updates. Kaspersky has a bootable recovery CD, and MSE has downloadable updates you could apply via a burned CD.

4. Use a real antivirus. If it was free, its likely not that good. Not being told you have a virus is not the same as not having a virus.

On that topic, MBAM (malwarebytes anti malware) is poor. I find it recommended all the time here on the forums so i tried it first - and while it found 8 viruses on the first machine, it missed 26 others that kaspersky and microsoft security essentials (MSE) both discovered.

While it may seem contradictory, never trust just one product for your AV needs - over time, they may become worse or others may become better. when a machine is really in trouble, try more than one. I used MSE, kaspersky AV 2011, hijack this, MBAM, spybot S&D, and CCleaner on each machine.

Out of those, kaspersky found the most infected files, but is also the only one to cost money. Without it i'd have been screwed, because a hidden startup file tied into explorer redownloaded some of the viruses the minute the PC had internet - MSE and MBAM didnt catch the redownloaded files, while kaspersky did (and kaspersky didnt stop the startup file because it linked to a website, NOT to a harmful virus that could be removed)

Finally: prevention

1. Get an antivirus with a realtime scanner. MSE or kaspersky are my choices there.

2. Dont use high risk programs like Internet Explorer, or outlook express. Firefox and Thunderbird are two great alternatives there, but many others exist.

3. Use a web based email, not a local client. Gmail for example, scans all attachments before they get anywhere near you - so the viruses dont even get a chance to download to your PC.

4. use a program with URL based blacklists. Kaspersky offers this, blocking known bad URL's from even loading, thus preventing viruses from getting anywhere near your machine.

Spyware blaster is a good freeware program that helps immunize browsers from known bad sites as well, but in a passive way - it never alerts you that your system tried to access the bad sites.

5. use vista or windows 7, and leave UAC on. Its a great way to prevent many viruses from actually doing any damage. Seriously, rootkits cant infect a system with UAC on since they cant give themselves admin privileges.

6. Avoid being played. Put simply if something is offered free on the internet, don't trust it. Google it first to find out. Free games, music, or small crap like emoticons in MSN or smilies for yahoo are great targets for viruses - the crap you downloaded might even be real, but the nasties are likely embedded inside. Play it safe.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
if anyone wants to help me add more to this, feel free to post your suggestions - but no guarantees your stuff will make it in to the first post.

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

It's funny, I was going to write an article about advanced antivirus removal methodologies. :laugh:

hijackthis is technically an advanced tool, as are:
Process Explorer* -- use this to enumerate process modules and look for anything funny
Process Monitor* -- if anything nasty is happening, it's going to show up here! Best. Program. Ever.
GMER -- rootkit tool, shouldn't need it often but it's nice to have when you need it
ComboFix -- the cure for the "oooh shhhiiii*" scenario

If the virus got onto your USB drive:
Flash Disinfector

MBAM is nice because it only runs when you want it to. It's not a particularly good antivirus.

Here's a recent comparison of Antivirus software (check out the second page for effectiveness charts):
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp
FYI I only read part of that and it appears that NOD32 is notably absent.

*These aren't antivirus tools, but they sure can be useful for identifying infected files.

Last edited:
System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
I knew my choice to switch from Avira to Kapersky would be a good idea.
very useful post. :toast:

I had a coworker come to me regarding her computer won't funtion properly, won't even log her on.
I did as you described, hooked her main HDD as a slave to a computer that wasn't connected to the net. Well I found like 500 viruses, worms and so on lol. I transfered a few important files that weren't infected to my computer, and wiped her HDD clean. Wasn't any use to try and desinfect a freakin epidemic.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
best is do not let virus enter your rig
if the virus is damage your system. one that always work is killing your os, make clean install so coz of that back up no matter is very important

5. use vista or windows 7, and leave UAC on. Its a great way to prevent many viruses from actually doing any damage. Seriously, rootkits cant infect a system with UAC on since they cant give themselves admin privileges.

6. Avoid being played. Put simply if something is offered free on the internet, don't trust it. Google it first to find out. Free games, music, or small crap like emoticons in MSN or smilies for yahoo are great targets for viruses - the crap you downloaded might even be real, but the nasties are likely embedded inside. Play it safe.

The above is the sum of it all, Mussels :) Finally someone who says do NOT run UAC off.

Win7 also has the autorun in USB sticks etc. solved. My wife brings sticks with viruses from school (WXP...) everyday but they do no harm here.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Yep UAC and Firefox is the way to go.
I hate antivirus programs as they act like viruses themselves - take away performance.
I have McAfee preinstalled on my job laptop as it gets in contact with different stuff but for home gaming Im not really affraid as I dont have much to loose even if its total annihilation of my hdd. Have pictures backed up on 3 diffrent hdd's/pc's so Im safe.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Very good guide. I already use some of those techniques (plus others) and software that you listed, plus some of the ones streetfighter listed.
I'd like to add that for those without Process Explorer, but have Windows Defender installed (It's a good idea to have it and running, if you use any other security suite besides MSE), should use it as an alternative. It can provide the same type of full description of what is loaded in the RAM, accessing the network and loaded in winsock. it provides a very detailed information about every process, too. That's basically the only thing I use WD for anyways. :p

Also, Mussels, I know AV choices are always personal, but can you arrange a table of the best ranked paid and non-paid security suites, still keeping your choices.
And link those choices in the table to known independent sites that test these AVs, like Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives, as a reference.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Also, Mussels, I know AV choices are always personal, but can you arrange a table of the best ranked paid and non-paid security suites, still keeping your choices.
And link those choices in the table to known independent sites that test these AVs, like Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives, as a reference.

no possible way to do that, because there is no best.

kaspersky and nod32 are my two picks - kaspersky causes slowdowns, while nod32 breaks P2P programs (including some games, mostly RTS) - which one is better depends on the user.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Nice OP, Mussels. :)

If you find one malware, then you never know what other malware you've missed and that includes using multiple scanners.

Therefore, if I find malware on a PC I go for the nuclear option and reformat/reinstall or reimage. I even did this a while back on my Windows 7 64-bit PC as a precaution, because it was acting a bit strange like it could have had a virus, but I couldn't pin it down for sure.

This is the only 100% guaranteed way of being sure that you've got rid of all malware from it and I just don't want to take a chance.

However, if you have 100 infected machines in a company, reimaging may lead to a lot of difficulties and may not be very possible or practical, so a disinfection is usually done and fingers are crossed that there's no nasties left.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
If you have a badly infected OS drive, IMO, it is often quicker to pull the drive and shove it into a USB enclosure/sharkoon hdd dock. Then connect it to another machine that is clean and is LOCKED DOWN. Make sure it is running something like COMODO at the highest level (i like comodo because it is free for ALL windows os, incl. server editions. I also like the sandboxing feature). Naturally your locked down machine has all auto-play services denied.

Then connect the HDD over USB and scan it.

Trying to fix a PC with a rootkit and jumping through CD booters, safe mode, etc. is fine... but docking the bad drive as a slave is usually much faster than trying to tackle it while still the primary boot drive.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Use USB Antivirus to immunize your drives.
this works by creating an autorun.exe folder in each partition and drive(including HDD ones) so you there is less risk of viruses there.

I use WinRAR to check if there are any viruses. have you noticed viruses show up there? LOL!

Processor i9 11900k
Motherboard Maximus XII Apex
Cooling Custom Liquid W/ 360x60 Radiator
Memory 32Gb Team XTREEM ARGB 3600 b-die
Video Card(s) Waterblocked MSI RTX 4070
Storage Intel 900p 480Gb + 4tb Intel 670p
Display(s) LG C2 evo 42"
Case Geometric Future Model 8
Audio Device(s) HD58X + Sennheiser GSX 1000
Power Supply Corsair RM 750x
Mouse Steelseries Aerox 5 wired
Keyboard Akko Mod 007b HE
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+
Software Windows 11
Dont forget, safe mode is your friend when battling viruses good antivirus programs WILL run in safe mode

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
5. use vista or windows 7, and leave UAC on. Its a great way to prevent many viruses from actually doing any damage. Seriously, rootkits cant infect a system with UAC on since they cant give themselves admin privileges

The above is the sum of it all, Mussels :) Finally someone who says do NOT run UAC off.

Win7 also has the autorun in USB sticks etc. solved. My wife brings sticks with viruses from school (WXP...) everyday but they do no harm here.

Which level of UAC do you recommend? AND Thank you.

streetfighter 2

I'm the last person (or maybe the first?) that should be giving advice about keeping a system clean because I'm currently running as an Admin with UAC off. :laugh: If you're wondering I've not reformatted my computer since I bought it and I do not have any viruses. What's my trick? I've been doing this since Windows 3.11. :pimp:

One of the best steps in virus prevention is testing any questionable files/programs in a virtual machine or on a test system. This is such a common practice in industry that it goes without saying and though it's become incredibly easy to do, I find lots of consumers do not bother with it. I can't encourage people enough to download VirtualBox or vmware and start testing every app in a virtual machine. If you're really nuts about security you should do all of your web browsing in a virtual machine.

I virtualize whole systems but it is possible to run extremely light virtual machines that contain only a couple of apps. If you're interested in virtual browsing check this out:
http://www.kace.com/products/freetools/secure-browser/
Notes: You can use a mailinator.com address and fake info to register for the download. The file is called Secure-Browser-Firefox.msi and weighs in at 74.8MB. I have not tested it.
Which level of UAC do you recommend? AND Thank you.
Any of them but off is fine. The highest setting is when you don't trust yourself to change your screensaver :roll:

Last edited:
System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
A nice free online virus/spyware scanning tool is Microsoft's Live Scan. If your able to get online however since some rogue spyware like to setup proxy settings. It does work with XP SP2/Vista/ and 7

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
regedit is also your friend
i'e after you've found a nasty, you may find you can't delete it :eek:

well if you search for said file in the registry (advanced users only) then delete it from there it should then be removable

(remember foolin with your registry can poop your pc up, so only delete a file if ya know what your doing)

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
if anyone wants to help me add more to this, feel free to post your suggestions - but no guarantees your stuff will make it in to the first post.

i was going to add... don't download "codecs" when asked by a site that plays flash type videos. i've had friends do this for ... adult... sites and next thing they know they're computer has a fake antivirus claiming they have 50,000 viruses and such and they end up buying the fake program... well until i told them it was fake anyway lol

what do you guys think of CA antivirus? a local computer shop sells em for about $20.

agreed about the system restore files... usually the first thing i turn off, saves space, and kills a hiding spot for viruses.