• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

xbox help

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
i know this isnt a console forum but i aint a member on any others, plus most of you own a 360.

I got the three red lights the other day and searched the net and found a ton of stuff saying taking it apart replace the xclamp thing and all will be dandy. Is there any truth in these claims or are they just scams to get your money? Has anyone else on here had the same problem and managed to successfully fix it?

Or do i now own an expensive xbox shaped paper weight?

System Name Flow
Processor AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Motherboard MSI 790fx GD70
Cooling Water
Memory 8gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer Blue ddr3 1600 c8
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX 6850 - Yet to go under water.
Storage Corsair s128
Display(s) HP 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom Lian-Li V2110b
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
I had the rrod, tried the xclamp and new thermal paste, and even wrapping it in a towel fix as a last ditch effort. None of it worked.

I ended up buying one of the newer arcade models that were much more reliable (not the S design)

Now I have the 250gb S model.

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
meh not what i wanted to hear, oh well new i should have stuck to pc gaming

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
how old is it?

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
My older brother fixes xboxes, and he's had loads of success with the xclamps. He swears by them. I can get him to write a quick guide with the best places to buy the clamps etc. if you like?

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
My older brother fixes xboxes, and he's had loads of success with the xclamps. He swears by them. I can get him to write a quick guide with the best places to buy the clamps etc. if you like?

that would be amazing if he would theres so much on the net about it and on ebay im a bit swamped by the idea of doing the x clamp thing, i mean if its a cheap fix its worth trying, better then the 60 quid microsoft want to fix a problem they made,

Plus its one of the first ones not too sure of its age but i got it of a mate, had it a few months and been fine but im certain its out of warrenty

edit: Didnt event get to finish fallout:(

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
the warranty is 3 years.

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
the warranty is 3 years.

To be onest i dont know when the 360 was first produced, it being the first ones would it still be covered? i dont have any original reciept though

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
I did the X-Clamp fix on mine and it worked for a while. You can find the parts at a good hardware store for just a few dollars. I was looking into getting it (the BGA) properly re-flowed but it didn't seem worth it since a lot of people were saying that most of the time the re-flow fixes aren't a permanent fix either. I tried to find someone or a company who would guarantee it but couldn't at the time. If anyone knows of a good place that will, please reply with a link or something.

At the time I just didn't want to deal with the hassle (and more $) so I just bought a new one.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
To be onest i dont know when the 360 was first produced, it being the first ones would it still be covered? i dont have any original reciept though

if you have owned it less than 3 years your warranty is still good. I don't think you need a receipt or packaging. if you send Microsoft your XBOX 360 in it's original packaging they send it back without it lol

System Name Benny
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Look on the back of the xbox, there should be a sticker that states the manuf. date.
I'm getting onto my brother now.

K

kyle2020

My father in law does Xbox repairs and I can say it does work, he purchased 3 RROD boxes and all of them work fine, if not as if brand new now hes done the x clamp fix, I even purchased one off him in the end.

It does work, as long as its done properly.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
i know this isnt a console forum but i aint a member on any others, plus most of you own a 360.

I got the three red lights the other day and searched the net and found a ton of stuff saying taking it apart replace the xclamp thing and all will be dandy. Is there any truth in these claims or are they just scams to get your money? Has anyone else on here had the same problem and managed to successfully fix it?

Or do i now own an expensive xbox shaped paper weight?

There are MANY fixes for a RRoD, but there are also MANY causes. Most of the fixes are only temporary (sometimes you can get 6+ months worth of gaming out of a fixed up console). If it is less than 3 years old get MS to fix it for free. If it's older, sell it on ebay (because some idiot will buy it to fix it up) and put the cash towards a 'slim' type model.

Register your console @ xbox.com and see if the warranty is valid. Bur remember, if the site states it is out of the standard warranty, if it's still under 3 years old you're eligible for the FREE extended warranty (just put the problem down as 3 red lights) ;)

PS: Im not a 360 noob. I've been dabbling with them for YEARS. The oven method works nice. But it still doesn't mean the same problem (or another one altogether) wont arise :(

My father in law does Xbox repairs and I can say it does work, he purchased 3 RROD boxes and all of them work fine, if not as if brand new now hes done the x clamp fix, I even purchased one off him in the end.

It does work, as long as its done properly.

There are success stories. But most of the time the repaired console will fail again. If the said console is still within the 3 year warranty from MS, it would be silly not to let them fix it.

I picked up a console a few weeks back for £20. 3 red lights, but it was under 3 years old. So instead of messing about with it myself I returned it to MS. In just over a week I had a fully working console back. Plus, the console they returned had all new guts but the same old case :D Result!

You don't need one. The manufacture/service date will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
yea hookey be right

RROD can be fixed sometimes by the xclamp mod but its pretty much always temporary when its not done professionally, and it will be louder than it was before because MS uses a thick thermal paste, mine RROD'd the last time about 2 years ago, and I replaced the fans with better ones and bought the newer heatsink and it hasn't RROD'd since then but it always makes me feel like its gonna do it again.

just sell it and get a newer one, the older ones are shit, don't waste your time, you don't wanna be worrying about it dying everytime you turn it on.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
yea hookey be right

RROD can be fixed sometimes by the xclamp mod but its pretty much always temporary when its not done professionally, and it will be louder than it was before because MS uses a thick thermal paste, mine RROD'd the last time about 2 years ago, and I replaced the fans with better ones and bought the newer heatsink and it hasn't RROD'd since then but it always makes me feel like its gonna do it again.

just sell it and get a newer one, the older ones are shit, don't waste your time, you don't wanna be worrying about it dying everytime you turn it on.

Yeah. They tend to die when you power them up after an hardcore gaming session lol

System Name Benny
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Software Win7 Pro x64
My brother just sent me this:
yh man reflows are the way to go for a more than 3 month fix, but will sort you a link now for cheap xclamp fix boxsets.
I read everywhere its actually cheaper to buy all the bits in the kit cheaper from most decent tech hardware stores, but anyways, here's a link
http://www.ck3.co.uk/xecuter-rrod-360_pro-repair-kit-new-version.html
It's a quick delivery, UK based modding company. I get all my bits from CK3. If you shop around you might be able to get these kits cheaper but make sure they are the newer version.
A reflow is always the best bet but will cost you 35 quid from gameworld direct if he is not confident to do it himself or if he does not have a reflow bench. But plus side to that is they give you six months warranty on that repair. Let me know what you finally decide on doing though man, I'm interested.

So, it seems the best option might be to contact Gameworld Direct, if they offer a 6 month warranty on thier fix for only £35.

System Name Ultra 64
Display(s) 720x576
thanks guys ill look into finding if its still under the tree year warrenty, only problem is i no longer have the original packaging either, got damaged in a basement flood will any of the stickers on the machine itself be usable? And i dont know what a reflow is? Id love to just be able to sell it and buy a new one but i dont have the funds its either fix it or no xbox.

Thanks for all the replys and ill have a look at your link scaminatrix if it is out of warrenty which i think it may be. Just a bit gutting never had an xbox till recently was rather pleased to own one and quite happy with it, yea i didnt pay loads to my mate for it but it was a lot of money to me.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
thanks guys ill look into finding if its still under the tree year warrenty, only problem is i no longer have the original packaging either, got damaged in a basement flood will any of the stickers on the machine itself be usable? And i dont know what a reflow is? Id love to just be able to sell it and buy a new one but i dont have the funds its either fix it or no xbox.

Thanks for all the replys and ill have a look at your link scaminatrix if it is out of warrenty which i think it may be. Just a bit gutting never had an xbox till recently was rather pleased to own one and quite happy with it, yea i didnt pay loads to my mate for it but it was a lot of money to me.

You don't need the original packaging. MS prefer you to NOT send it back in the original box. Just a plain one. All of the details you need are on the sticker located on the reverse of the console.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
just mail it in and get a new one for FREE.... (Refurbished probs... but its free and works so shut ur mouth sir :) )

and contact tech support and say u got it 2 xmas's ago.. Unless theyve changed the way they do things, that should be good enough for them to send u the shipping info.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
just mail it in and get a new one for FREE.... (Refurbished probs... but its free and works so shut ur mouth sir :) )

and contact tech support and say u got it 2 xmas's ago.. Unless theyve changed the way they do things, that should be good enough for them to send u the shipping info.

LOL when did just telling them its x months old get you anywhere :roll: You have to tell them the serial number and from this serial number they can tell the exact date it was manufactured. It's been like this from day one ;)

Processor Intel Xeon x5660 (4.2ghz)
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 24gb (6x 4gb DDR3 1600) Kingston Hyperx
Video Card(s) XFX Black r290x 4gb ddr5 OC
Storage 6x 2tb 64mb WD drives, Patriot Pyro sandforce2 drive ,intel 180gb ssd
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Corsair Carbine 500r
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Pro Fatality
Power Supply XFX 750 watt
Mouse Thermaltake Theron ee Sports+
Keyboard Corsair Vengence k70 RGB Cherry Red
Software Windows 8.1 x64
My brother just sent me this:

So, it seems the best option might be to contact Gameworld Direct, if they offer a 6 month warranty on thier fix for only £35.

i agreee, re-flowing is the way to go.

all other methods are band-aids.

check your local craigslist for adds advertising this. it typically ranges from $65 to $80.
Just make sure if you leave the xbox with the person, get a receit stating that a) they are going to reflow, b) has your xbox serial numbers on it.

But in all honesty. Pony up the 150$ for a new xbox arcade. They are much much quieter now.

I have 2 xboxes that i have done the clamp trick on. it works for a few months and then i had to do the process again. i got to the point where now they sit and collect dust, and i have a new xbox arcade.

Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
LOL when did just telling them its x months old get you anywhere :roll: You have to tell them the serial number and from this serial number they can tell the exact date it was manufactured. It's been like this from day one ;)

That doesnt make any sense, cause manufacturing date and selling date can differ by ALOT.

I just told them my problem and they mailed me a shipping label.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
what 3 red lights is it? i get 3 red lights sometimes but mine is caused by my power brick failing,i turn it on its side and it works again.

Case [Fractal Meshify-C]

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
That doesnt make any sense, cause manufacturing date and selling date can differ by ALOT.

I just told them my problem and they mailed me a shipping label.

At some point you must have given them your serial number. They need this to register the console to you.

Trust me, I've returned over 20 consoles to MS. So I know what info they require ;)