• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Have you got pie today?

T

twilyth

16 core or 16 thread? Does Intel make 8 core Xeons? I didn't know there was a commercially available 8-core processor. Anyway, awesome! That will burn through WU's.

I think the Magny-Cours line from AMD has at least a 12 core server chip and those normally come in 2P and 4P configurations (2 and 4 socket server boards).

Not sure about Intel. I've been assuming that they max out at 6 core/12 threads, but I don't know.

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) ASUS HD4850 TOP
Storage Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Dual 1280x1024
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Antec NeoPower 550
I think the Magny-Cours line from AMD has at least a 12 core server chip and those normally come in 2P and 4P configurations (2 and 4 socket server boards).

Not sure about Intel. I've been assuming that they max out at 6 core/12 threads, but I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron#Opteron_.2845_nm_SOI.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon#6500.2F7500-series_.22Beckton.22

AMD has 12 core Opterons, Intel has 8 core Xeons. Thanks for the info twilyth. So, theoretically, with a 4P hyperthreaded Xeon config, you could run 64 WUs at once! (8 cores * 2 threads/core * 4 processors) That would be one amazing server! :)

T

twilyth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron#Opteron_.2845_nm_SOI.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon#6500.2F7500-series_.22Beckton.22

AMD has 12 core Opterons, Intel has 8 core Xeons. Thanks for the info twilyth. So, theoretically, with a 4P hyperthreaded Xeon config, you could run 64 WUs at once! (8 cores * 2 threads/core * 4 processors) That would be one amazing server! :)

It's something to drool over, at least until you realize that just one cpu will set you back 4 grand. So you would be talking about a whole system that would probably be pushing $20k.

You could probably build 8 2600k rigs for about 1/4 of that and do twice as many ppd since the Xeon only runs at about 2.3gig and server boards are not known for their OC'ing features.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but that's why I always stay away from server chips. I've been tempted many times but the numbers just never work out compared to a couple desktop rigs with consumer grade chips.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
If someone wanted to balance production and e-peen, could put together a 4P system for under $3K with AMD's cheapest 8-core (6128, 2Ghz). Certainly not the most points for the money, but could throw a couple decent video cards on the board too for massive points overall and quite the conversation piece ;)

Edit- Oh, thought this was in FAH. Oh well, it can be a mixed WCG/FAH box with the additional video cards.

I should probably get some sleep. Yeah, that would be a good idea jizz. Alright I will. See you tomorrow.

T

twilyth

If someone wanted to balance production and e-peen, could put together a 4P system for under $3K with AMD's cheapest 8-core (6128, 2Ghz). Certainly not the most points for the money, but could throw a couple decent video cards on the board too for massive points overall and quite the conversation piece ;)

Edit- Oh, thought this was in FAH. Oh well, it can be a mixed WCG/FAH box with the additional video cards.

I should probably get some sleep. Yeah, that would be a good idea jizz. Alright I will. See you tomorrow.

Only 2 voices in your head? Lightweight. I usually need a moderator. :shadedshu :D

Yeah, the call of the e-peen is strong with crunchers. Oh the times I've dreamed of a 4P system with 32gig of ram. I've gone slumming on ebay to get my fix with used components, but I could never make the numbers work. But fuck the numbers man, it's not always about the numbers. Oh yes, "heresy" I hear you say - but you know it's true. {testify brother} :rockout:

Processor Intel i5-6600
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
The rest had already passed out. The remaining one was determined to raise enough points to craft an Exquisite Superior Flute for the wife's hot elf minstrel.

Yes! Just think of the time we live in now. Four cores under $10K was dream back in the day. The only time I had quads, got them off eBay when they were several years past their prime (built a new quad P3-Xeon once, but it was for a client). Sucked down power cracking RC5 keys, but who cared about power usage back then? They looked massively awesome! Now a new 32 core box can be had for $3K! A big thanks to AMD for getting rid of 2P/4P tiering.

T

twilyth

A big thanks to AMD for getting rid of 2P/4P tiering.

Tru dat. I was looking on the egg at G34 Mangy-Cours chips and noticed that there weren't different classes and model numbers. How cool is that? Too bad they only have one 4P G34 board though.

On a different topic, did you see that since the recall they have **0** 1155 boards? WTFOMGBBQ. I registered my Asus P8P67 Pro to get a replacement but I know it's going to be weeks - at least. That sucks hard man.

I'm a lazy shit sometimes but that's due mainly to intermittent reinforcement of such behavior. If I had jumped right on that board when I got and build the new 2600k system as planned, I'd be down a rig and tearing the new one down to extract the m/b for RMA. And god knows what would have happened to the box with the serial number. But procrastination does at times pay off. Everything is still in the box. All I have to do is slap a label on it and send it back - well, you know, some day.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I noticed, was just there getting all the info together to send in rebates (FUUUUUUUUU) for items from my last order.

Ouch. Guess I was lucky by making this threat earlier. Now I wait for Ivy or a cheap LGA-1366 six core to be released.

T

twilyth

IDK. The earliest to see Ivy Bridge would be 2H, and that would mean only 6 months for the new architecture before the die shrink. Doesn't Intel normally take longer than that? Although a lot will depend on the timetable for Bulldozer. If AMD can launch in 2H then that would put pressure on Intel.

I don't mind taking a hit on selling used equipment to crunchers and the fact that I can recoup at least part of my investment makes me more willing to shell out for new equipment. I was even thinking about a second 2600k with a board to support the graphics features since I'm really concerned about my power usage. It would be easier to make these decisions if we had some firm dates.

T

twilyth

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Stick to the desktop equipment.... Even an SR2 sounds cool but at the cost of the cpu's it's useless.

Servers are designed around huge I/O, folding and crunching doesn't require this in the least... You just need speed.

T

twilyth

Stick to the desktop equipment.... Even an SR2 sounds cool but at the cost of the cpu's it's useless.

Servers are designed around huge I/O, folding and crunching doesn't require this in the least... You just need speed.

Excellent point. :toast:

Processor Intel i5-6600
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
IDK. The earliest to see Ivy Bridge would be 2H, and that would mean only 6 months for the new architecture before the die shrink. Doesn't Intel normally take longer than that? Although a lot will depend on the timetable for Bulldozer. If AMD can launch in 2H then that would put pressure on Intel.

I don't mind taking a hit on selling used equipment to crunchers and the fact that I can recoup at least part of my investment makes me more willing to shell out for new equipment. I was even thinking about a second 2600k with a board to support the graphics features since I'm really concerned about my power usage. It would be easier to make these decisions if we had some firm dates.

Oh, forgot about Bulldozer in my list. I'll certainly look at it too. Maybe Intel will also get around to dropping the LGA-2011 chips as well.

I'll continue to play the waiting game. Career changes, kids growing up, etc, and I'm still on my 'transition' box from a couple years ago. Just means that I'll be getting a monster built when I can finally hit the buy button at Newegg :D

Here comes that voice of logic and practicality :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah, if I was seriously looking at dedicated 4P machines for folding/crunching, I'd already have an SR2 (or Supermicro) for my main machine, as well as the kids and wife's systems :D

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
Yeah, I personally hope Bulldozer will put AMD back in the playing field, as far as top performance goes. I miss the days of the Athlon 64. Not that I am particularly an AMD fan (I have an Intel processor), I just like it when the two companies are neck in neck in performance. Makes things interesting and drives the prices down for us consumers.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
Why did he quit? Did he switch teams, or quit WCG altogether?

Processor just a few i7's all AMD's gone to friends
Motherboard Mother F%#@& am I board
Cooling It's called Alberta Canada.
Memory Don't remember.
Video Card(s) Hope for blckjack
Storage hurt my toe's when droped
Display(s) never big enough
Case I think they call it a lost case
Audio Device(s) What speek up I'm old.
Power Supply Good old coffee
Software when you get this old everything is soft
Benchmark Scores Always on the bench never on the field.
Would be nice to see him again, Hope things work out. On the plus side He is a smart kid.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
Why did he quit? Did he switch teams, or quit WCG altogether?

He was forced to take some time off from WCG and the forums, personal problems.

Processor just a few i7's all AMD's gone to friends
Motherboard Mother F%#@& am I board
Cooling It's called Alberta Canada.
Memory Don't remember.
Video Card(s) Hope for blckjack
Storage hurt my toe's when droped
Display(s) never big enough
Case I think they call it a lost case
Audio Device(s) What speek up I'm old.
Power Supply Good old coffee
Software when you get this old everything is soft
Benchmark Scores Always on the bench never on the field.
I see HammerON is working his way back up with his x58's.
Sata or no sata I think p67 is good, and 2011 just got pushed back a few more months.
More cache and overclocks like normal can't wait.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Yeah, I personally hope Bulldozer will put AMD back in the playing field, as far as top performance goes. I miss the days of the Athlon 64. Not that I am particularly an AMD fan (I have an Intel processor), I just like it when the two companies are neck in neck in performance. Makes things interesting and drives the prices down for us consumers.

I have large doubts of AMD being able to take the top again... Realistically they do a darn good job but $ for $ they don't have it compared to Intel... They can spend a fortune more on R&D, now that doesn't mean it can't be done but it makes it really hard.

I do like to see them competing nicely though, when the competition gets tough, we win! :toast:

BinaryMage

System Name Igne Mortis
Storage Seagate 500GB
I have large doubts of AMD being able to take the top again... Realistically they do a darn good job but $ for $ they don't have it compared to Intel... They can spend a fortune more on R&D, now that doesn't mean it can't be done but it makes it really hard.

I do like to see them competing nicely though, when the competition gets tough, we win! :toast:

Exactly. I hope AMD can compete with Intel, you are correct about the R&D funding, but, nonetheless, AMD also has graphics cards, which would give them more funding. It's not like AMD is ridiculously behind, though. For crunching rigs, AMD procs are usually better values.