• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

This is what happens when a tech forum discusses piracy. Saved for historical record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Kuro said:
If you steal money, the money will no longer be in its original place. If I make a copy, the original is still there and someone else can purchase it and play it. So they still got their sale.

Just like running money though a photocopier, right? It's called it counterfeitting.
If that's okay I'm gonna be one rich person.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You think that example is any better :twitch:? :roll: I'm gonna stop right there.

Please read my example. I basically copied you word for word (replaced a couple) and it makes just as much sense. :)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Please read my example. I basically copied you word for word (replaced a couple) and it makes just as much sense. :)

Pirates don't understand how to work for a living. After all its not rape. Its surprise butt sex.

However they are masters at making excuses with massive holes of logic missing.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The problem is that while you can't pirate an online account, you can bypass the login. Just like the pirated versions of Minecraft do, and they recieve full updates just like a paid user.(Though I hear the update servers for Minecraft will be moving to the same authentications system the multiplayer uses.)

Correct, it is not stealing, it is piracy. The notion that every pirated copy is a lost sale is extremely flawed. Most people that pirate a game would never buy it. I pirated Crysis 2, but I'd never ever consider buying it because it is nothing more than another drab wattered down console port. Now if they made it a game that at least partially lived up to the original I might consider buying it, but no, they pushed out a giant turd. However, I paid for Minecraft, because it is actually good, and worth the money. The fact that he is charging a reasonable price helps too, he isn't another one of the big name game developers that charge $60 for the same old recycled console garbage we're used to seeing.

Ahmen, brother. The bold bit, especially.

No one says they are stealing the original. They say they are stealing the copy why is this always the main argument.:shadedshu

By definition a copy is not theft, because the creator still has the original. This is a really painfully elementary error in logic. Of course, Big Effin Media intentionally get this wrong in order to push their corruption onto us and get laws drafted (ACTA, COICA etc) to support their greed. Shit, take two of these Big Media: :nutkick: :nutkick: :mad:

Well worth reading: www.techdirt.com www.p2pnet.net

Reactions: w3b
Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
Ahmen, brother. The bold bit, especially.

it's flawed because they wouldn't buy it but will steal it? how is that logic. That's a retard explaining why they shit their pants;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Ah ok. So I guess game making is free now too. Cool.

Who said that? And what does it matter? You are still missing the concept that most pirated copies are not lost sales. The pirate would never buy the game if they couldn't pirate it. So the cost to develope the game doesn't have an effect on piracy not being stealing. However, if you offer a good value, the game will likely sell in much larger volumes than if you offer a shitty value. Which is why Notch has made millions on his game, far more than he ever put into developement cost.

it's flawed because they wouldn't buy it but will steal it? how is that logic. That's a retard explaining why they shit their pants;)

Yes, exactly, they would pirate it for free, but wouldn't pay for it. I downloaded the entire Metalica library, I fucking hat Metalica, but I still pirated it. I would have never bought a single one of their CDs, or even gone to one of their concerts. Pirated will pirate something that is free just to do it, but they won't pay for the same thing if they have to.

You ever go to the grocery store on sample day? You ever noticed how people will take the sample, but most never even consider actually buying the product? Same logic. People will take it when it is free, even if they only marginally want it, but never intend to pay for it.

Last edited:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Pirates don't understand how to work for a living. After all its not rape. Its surprise butt sex.

However they are masters at making excuses with massive holes of logic missing.

i work for a living so do a bunch of people who pirate terrible assumption.

Benetanegia

Your right! Bad example... I'll go into your house when it's not locked and your not home... I will copy naked pictures of your woman and distribute them. That is not theft! I like your logic:confused:

Of course it's not theft. It's burglary and invasion of privacy, which are crimes on their own. But it's not theft.

Pirates do none of that. Piracy is not theft.

The other example is just as flawed. Copying money is not a crime, using and distributing it is. The act of couterfeiting implies the distribution and replacemant of real money. So you can create as many copies of money as you want as long as you keep it at home and don't try to use it as real money. If that makes you feel the richest man in the world... congrats! :toast:

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Of course it's not theft. It's burglary and invasion of privacy, which are crimes on their own. But it's not theft.

Pirates do none of that. Piracy is not theft.

The other example is just as flawed. Copying money is not a crime, using and distributing it is. The act of couterfeiting implies the distribution and replacemant of real money. So you can create as many copies of money as you want as long as you keep it at home and don't try to use it as real money. If that makes you feel the richest man in the world... congrats! :toast:

In my country even copying it is illegal, but you make a good point.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Who said that? And what does it matter? You are still missing the concept that most pirated copies are not lost sales. The pirate would never buy the game if they couldn't pirate it. So the cost to develope the game doesn't have an effect on piracy not being stealing. However, if you offer a good value, the game will likely sell in much larger volumes than if you offer a shitty value. Which is why Notch has made millions on his game, far more than he ever put into developement cost.

Its matters because people invest into development houses MILLIONS of dollars. When the game sells poorly they ask why. Well because our game was copied millions of times without paying for it thats why. Next big idea comes along and guess what? No one will invest. THATS how is applies.

You said most pirates would never buy a game. Thats why they pirate. I say most pirate to keep from buying the game. Eliminate pirates and you will have better games.

Think about something. What if you work years on something. Hoping that someone will buy it once you debut it. Then some piece of shit comes along copies it and enjoys it without ever giving you a dime. Would you be ok with that?

What if we applied that to everything? Doctors for example. They didn't do anything right? They just diagnosed you and treated you like game developers entertained you. Its not like they built the machines they used to heal you right? So why pay them ether?

I wish people would just admit they are fucking thieves.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Its matters because people invest into development houses MILLIONS of dollars. When the game sells poorly they ask why. Well because our game was copied millions of times without paying for it thats why. Next big idea comes along and guess what? No one will invest. THATS how is applies.

You said most pirates would never buy a game. Thats why they pirate. I say most pirate to keep from buying the game. Eliminate pirates and you will have better games.

Think about something. What if you work years on something. Hoping that someone will buy it once you debut it. Then some piece of shit comes along copies it and enjoys it without ever giving you a dime. Would you be ok with that?

What if we applied that to everything? Doctors for example. They didn't do anything right? They just diagnosed you and treated you like game developers entertained you. Its not like they built the machines they used to heal you right? So why pay them ether?

No, no and no! But we've been here before so no point explaining yet again.

TheMailMan78

Big Member

Yes, yes and yes. Them are the facts.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Piracy is not thievery, it's piracy. It's no better than being a thief, if anything it's worse as these people actually feel entitled to taking these game "copies" that some people spent a greater portion of their lives working on to sell to make a living. What does that make them really, I'm not going to judge others. I don't think it's right but that's just me so I don't do it. You're perfectly free to think of pirates as theives, but technically they are classified as something else regardless of how similar they are.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Yes, but I've already explained why that logic is flawed. The game sold poorly because it is a piece of crap, not because pirates pirated it. If piracy was at fault indie games would never make a profit, neither would any of the big name titles that make huge profits.

Which one of us is a pirate? Guess which one knows why pirates pirate, and if they ever intend to buy the game.

Doesn't matter if that person would have never bought it anyway. I'm not out anything.

I don't pay them, my insurance company does, and if I had to pay my own medical bills, I'd never go to the doctor. And if I absolutely had to go or I'd die, I'd probably never pay the bill, just like millions of people do. Of course, if they didn't try to charge me $30 for an asprin, and were actually reasonable, I would be more inclined to pay them. Actually, this example is a perfect example in my favor, thanks.:toast:

I'll admit I'm a pirate, but without any monetary loss on the developers side, I'm not a theif. They are no worse off because I pirated a their game.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I guess the major concern is that they are achieving free access to paid content which in turn makes it unfair for everyone else willing to pay and help fund the developers.

that's exactly it. it creates moral hazard. why should i pay $60 for the game when joe blow pirater gets to play for free.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
How wonderful, another piracy thread. Perhaps someone can start a PhysX sucks thread and an ATi drivers suck thread as well. :rolleyes:

How about printing my own counterfeit money? I mean, i'm just copying something without physically taking it right?

Expanding on my point above, I don't see how counterfeiters could be potential people working for their money since most of them are struggling financially or don't intend to use real money to buy goods and services at all... I guess the major concern is that they are printing free money to pay for goods and services which in turn makes it unfair for everyone willing to work, get paid and buy their own shit.

Right. So the counterfeit is 100% the same as the real money? LOL

In many cases of games the "pirated" copy works even better than the "original." :roll: Which is the 100% now, the pirated copy or the original? :roll:

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
that's exactly it. it creates moral hazard. why should i pay $60 for the game when joe blow pirater gets to play for free.

Maybe if joe blow pirater got a heafty fine, or he got blacklisted by ISP's and couldn't have good internet at home anymore it would make people think twice. Honestly, the only reason most people actually pirate at this time is because there's almost zero chance they'll get caught doing it.

Right. So the counterfeit is 100% the same as the real money? LOL

In many cases of games the "pirated" copy works even better than the "original." :roll: Which is the 100% now, the pirated copy or the original? :roll:

As far as my theory goes, the bills are perfect copies. You bring no real argument to my point.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Piracy is not thievery, it's piracy. It's no better than being a thief, if anything it's worse as these people actually feel entitled to taking these game "copies" that some people spent a greater portion of their lives working on to sell to make a living. What does that make them really, I'm not going to judge others. I don't think it's right but that's just me so I don't do it.

There's certainly a moral argument about making that copy, because it might feel wrong to make a copy of something that someone worked hard over. However, that doesn't at all equate to lost sales, as we all know. Heck, it even does lead to increases in sales if the product is any good.

I also detest the implied assumption, that if one couldn't pirate, then they might buy that copy of a song/film/game/qubit's awesome virtual products(tm)/whatever and then discover that they didn't like it and be stuck with it. What right does the producer have to make money by fooling the punter into buying substandard shit?

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
Its matters because people invest into development houses MILLIONS of dollars. When the game sells poorly they ask why. Well because our game was copied millions of times without paying for it thats why.

Thats amusing with you talking about logic holes and then you post something like this. If piracy is really the bane of the industry and is responsible for a game being successful or not that then how would one explain COD? A game that is pirated to hell and back yet somehow....manages to rake in BILLIONS with each release.... ?

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
There's some truth to the "they wouldn't buy it anyways" idea, but the keyword is some. There's some that would buy it if they couldn't pirate it. However I don't think the number is actually that large. I can tell you I am very reluctant to buy 360 games, even ones I know I'd probably like. It's just so much money. I've had a 360 since launch but I only have 6 games. You could equate this argument to the used games argument. Many of the used game buyers would simply not buy as many games if they had to pay full price. The developers/publishers aren't losing nearly as many sales as they like to think.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I also detest the implied assumption, that if one couldn't pirate, then they might buy that copy of a song/film/game/qubit's awesome virtual products(tm)/whatever and then discover that they didn't like it and be stuck with it. What right does the producer have to make money by fooling the punter into buying substandard shit?

If I made some software with the intention to sell, I would detest the people who take it for nothing. If I had a means to catch them, I would go after them financially. Buying substandard shit has been the way of the world since we used beads and shells as currency. You're making excuses, not a viable argument.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Yes, yes and yes. Them are the facts.

We've been over this before. It's not simply a question of viewing the two terms as synonyms, which admittedly is both commonplace and understandable: there is not a single body of legislation, anywhere in the world, where they are not classifed as separate offences and sanctioned as separate offences. Them are the facts and the only facts that matter.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
2 pages 31 users viewing the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.