• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buyer Beware Dreamcast Collection On Steam Broken

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1093

Don't make the mistake I did and purchase any of the 4 games in the Dreamcast collection for STEAM until something is done to make the games playable. When I first reported that these games were now available I did not expect them to be riddled with so many bugs. The save games don't work and apparently the config utilitites don't work either. In Sonic Adventure it plays with a F'n tiny window on my 1920 * 1200 desktop. WTF is going on?:banghead:

My link above is to the Steam Forums about the Dreamcast Collection. It doesn't take long to find out that this release might be worthy of a lawsuit if issues are not addressed via a patch.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
A steam game that was ported from something else to steam doesn't work. Color me shocked!

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
There are much better emulator options out there.

I use 64 project and play all my fave games since my controllers are broken, and expensive, and it works so well, and scales, and I can use the power of my GPU.

streetfighter 2

There are much better emulator options out there.

I use 64 project and play all my fave games since my controllers are broken, and expensive, and it works so well, and scales, and I can use the power of my GPU.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Project64 is an N64 emulator.

For Dreamcast I use ChankastEx which works splendidly with Ikaruga; better than Dolphin with the Gamecube version. It also plays Under Defeat and lots of other awesome games.

Processor Stock I7 920
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Case Antec Three Hundred
Yeah I saw those fixes but....

On the board you posted people have partial fixes:
Saving
Changing Settings

I sincerely doubt this will result in a lawsuit. Maybe just a lower rating on BBB.

Is it too much too ask to have this crap work automatically? And why the hell do I need to go fishing through my Steam folder to find the config utility? Seriously you have to go hunt down the config utility in the Steamapps folder and then it doesn't even friggin work anyway. I set it to 720p and fullscreen and I get neither. It should be implemented in a user friendly manner when you start the game like most every other friggin PC game that has been released in the recent past and it should work when you put it on sale to the public. :nutkick:

Luckily I still have my Dreamcast and last time I checked it worked flawlessly. I even have the real version of Sonic Adventure and you know that actually fills my widescreen HDTV and I don't have to do anything save for connecting it to the HDTV and turning it on. What a concept.

On my 32 bit Vista machine the saves seem to be working properly and the Xbox 360 controller seems to be working. The resolution and config utility are the biggest problem for me. If the saves didn't work for everybody then a lawsuit would be in order as the game would be unplayable. But good job Sega you released a just barely playable collection of games. UPDATE.... As soon as you exit Sonic Adventure your save is gone so the saves don't work for me either. Sega is on my shit list. If only I had a brown bag I would leave a surprise on their doorstep.

Last edited:
System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
Blame SEGA not steam. That being said, don't expect console ports from old, dead consoles to work on todays hardware and operating systems. Hell, even older versions of windows games have a hard time running on Win 7/Vista.

Processor Stock I7 920
Case Antec Three Hundred
C'mon Now

Blame SEGA not steam. That being said, don't expect console ports from old, dead consoles to work on todays hardware and operating systems. Hell, even older versions of windows games have a hard time running on Win 7/Vista.

That is bullocks!!! The thing that prevents emulation from working is more legal issues/stubborness of the original companies involved in embracing emulation. They try to resell the same games on their own platforms such as Nintendo DS as portable or PSP which is reusing the same Playstation games now in a portable fashion. I have never understood why a company like Sony or Nintendo didn't have a Steam-like service or use Steam for PC that totally embraces emulation as a huge for profit business. I don't know much about the latest consoles but isn't the Wii offering some type of marketplace for old emulated games? Our PCs can easily play Playstation games, Dreamcast games, and Xbox games and so on if actually money was spent to do it professionally. Hell, amateurs have done a pretty good job in the past. The simple fact is that it is the companies who own the games that are holding emulation back and not the programming and hardware.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
That is bullocks!!!

I agree. If Steam is going to sell these games, they should function properly. Especially since these games aren't available for the PC in any other format.

Processor Stock I7 920
Case Antec Three Hundred
Apparently Saved Games In Sonic Fixed

Haven't had time to test myself but the forums over at Steam are indicating that an update today fixed the saved game issue.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783829

I still am in search of a brown bag....... Hopefully the configs will be fixed soon for all the games as well as the saves for all the games.:toast: