• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The DirectX Performance Overhead

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Found an interesting read about what developers think of the current state of DirectX

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Found an interesting read about what developers think of the current state of DirectX

I didn't see much fro mdev's there, all I saw was a bunch of AMD's Richard Huddy posturing. There one bit at the end from Crytek, justifying Richard's perspective.

That said, I agree, but maybe the approach taken by these guys isn't the best out there, and they look to be just wanting to make it far more complex, not easier, as they might suggest.

Not one mention of the benfits, really, that DirectX provides, either. Very one-sided article, for sure.

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
read that yesterday..i think it was on the [H].

System Name Cool Runnings Mark 2
Processor i7 4770k No OC
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPower
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill TridentX 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Ti Duke, EVGA GTX 780 AC+
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 3 more HDDs
Display(s) 2x MSI 32" 2560 x 1440 144Hz Optix MAG321CQR, Acer G276HLDbd Black 27" 6ms
Case Corsair 600t
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer DeathAdder
Keyboard Steelseries Merc Stealth
Software Win10 Pro 64-bit
id have to agree. directx is what allows us to play so many games with so many hardware configurations. its no secret that one of the few disadvantages of pc gaming is those multiples of hardware configurations. for pc gaming directx is here to stay as long as we all build our own computers with different(and upgradeable!) parts.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Video Card(s) IGP
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Software win10
From what I understand, some devs are not happy that the rendering path is entirely dependent on the CPU, meaning that for each object that needs to be rendered, the GPU has to wait for the CPU to feed it data. So they would like an alternative, something like a kernel that runs on the GPU itself and bypasses the CPU for the fetch and decode instructions.

Personally I find it kind of weird considering that the majority of games are written for Dx9 and very few games really stress your CPU.

Processor intel i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz
Motherboard asus maximus vi hero
Cooling noctua nh d14
Memory 16gb gskill 2400 mhz
Video Card(s) MSI gtx 780ti
Storage 512gb samsung 840 pro + 2x 1tb WD caviar black sata 3
Display(s) 3x Benq XL2720Z 144hz surround
Case cooler master storm stryker
Audio Device(s) asus xonar dx
Power Supply corsair ax1200
Software windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
the real reason why we get crappy pc games is because ps4 and the xbox 360 successor aren't out yet. that's the sad truth. pc gamers don't mean anyting to developpers. if they cared about us, all games would support dx11. i don't think that anything is going to change until the next gen consoles.
it's also clear that amd and nvidia are smalltime companies comparing to microsoft and sony.
the gpu manufacturers should pay more to the developpers so that they design games that can really take advantage of the horsepower of the new videocards. that would encourage more people to upgrade their sistems and it would eventually end up in bigger sales in pc titles too.
but most of the developpers are in it just for a quick buck, take crytek for example :(

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Wow, great find there. I always knew that DirectX took a heavy performance hit, but didn't know it was quite this heavy. :shadedshu

I first noticed it a decade ago when comparing Unreal Tournament on my Voodoo 3. Using Glide gave about twice the performance of DX7. Similar thing with Half-Life and OpenGL v DX. It can be the difference between doing 30-45fps and 60-80fps ie juddery and rubbish or liquid smooth.

Also, despite those consoles having a lower spec than PCs, I did wonder why the few times I saw the games, they appeared to kinda have more wow factor, despite this. Well now I know: it's the difference between 3000 draw calls on a PC compared with 20000 on a console. That's a vast difference.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, you need the API for stability and compatibility across a wide range of hardware. So that's the price we pay, I guess.

I'd just love to see what a GTX 580 can do maxed out, without this overhead, wouldn't you? :eek:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
or any card for that matter its really sad but theres not enough money to push development at this point, theres no point when most of the money is elsewhere(not gonna say it).

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Imho the guy is right theres only a few engines that games actually use and it seems to me that most are done with unreal engine, and there are only 2 choices in the gfx card dept so how hard would it really be to optimise per gpu ctm stlye then reuse that engine many times they do it anyway the lazy gets lol.
and / or couldnt microsoft rewrite the dx core with less reliance on cpu and possibly ditch all the old code kept in there for old game compatibility instead of building shit on top of shit and hence pass us back the performance weve all paid for.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
i dont see why you cant run seperate DX code in an OS,

example DX9-11 could be legacy code when a game runs os detects the DX needed correct? run that specific code then move on to DX12 which offers low lvl support,

i see no reason they 2 cant run side by side and offer both sides of the coin, its all coding and software, you can do anything with that if your willing to put in the time and R&D, after all no one wants to sacrifice full backwards compatibility so again, have both code bases 1 is CPU dependent aka the DX9-10-11 code path, and DX12 can be based on a kernel ment to run on GPUs the solution dosent seem all that hard to me, the hard part is getting every giant corporation to agree and go along with it.

I mean think about it, we use to run GLIDE, Open GL, Direct Along side each other, why not 2 different versions of Direct X, 1 cpu driven the other low lvl hardware access to GPUs as the article was stating. Seems like a quick fix but one that makes everyone happy,

PC devs can push the boundries, console devs and can still port there shit, and old games will still run seems like a win win from perspective

Last edited:
System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
Lets say they can code that way, would they need to optimize the low level code to run on every architecture and their variations? (G80, G92, etc, RV680, RV770, RV870, etc, etc, etc) and don't forget about the mid and low end cards. And when a new card is out they would need to release a patch to support it.

It would be awesome, but devs don't bother to optimize the games now, i don't see them doing lots of R&D so the game runs on a wide variety of VGAs.

If DirectX is the problem, AMD, Nvidia and Microsoft should form a Team to develop a better DirectX,

DirectX – You Can’t Live With it, You Can’t Live Without it

robn

Processor i7 920 @ 3520MHz locked on 1.04V, all features on
Motherboard Biostar T-Power x58 + ASUS U3S6 + Broadcom WiFi
Cooling Akasa Nero S on the i7 + 2 Akasa Apache case fans
Memory 24Gig Kingston HyperX DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX GTX260 216 XT
Storage 240Gig SanDisk SSD, 750Gig Spinpoint F1
Display(s) BenQ E2200HD
Case Coolermaster Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Realtek(!) with M-Audio AV40 + Wharfedale SW150
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650
Software Win7 64 Pro / Fedora KDE
Benchmark Scores wPrime 32M 7.265sec - 3DMark2001 57673 - Intel Linpack 50.6237 GFlops
Ok, I read the article start to finish. It gives a rather skewed view. The "draw calls" thing...

From what I understand, some devs are not happy that the rendering path is entirely dependent on the CPU, meaning that for each object that needs to be rendered, the GPU has to wait for the CPU to feed it data. So they would like an alternative, something like a kernel that runs on the GPU itself and bypasses the CPU for the fetch and decode instructions.

Personally I find it kind of weird considering that the majority of games are written for Dx9 and very few games really stress your CPU.

totally this ^

DirectX and OpenGL work exactly the same here - rooted in the days when CPUs *were* much more powerful than graphics chips; the mid 1990s. The CPU actions all rendering tasks in batches. The GPU then crunches out textured polys. Hardware T&L shifted the work to GPUs a little (geometry to perspective-view calcs), as do shaders (maths-based effects), but CPU software still controls the pipeline, and feedback routines from the GPU are a major interruption.

Anyhow the solution is to build an engine that puts more work into fewer batches. Of course that's not always convenient or easy, but it does work. That is where the article is most misleading. A console game engine that relies on sending many small data sets - which is ok using some custom hardware route on PS3, XBOX - is gonna chug when the CPU must get involved in a PC environment. Really I think that's more of an argument against porting console engines without majorly modifying them.

Increasing the efficiencies of DX and OpenGL would of course be a good thing, but to 'Make the API go away.' as the AMD guy in the article says, would be insanity from my POV as a programmer. I mean image COD:MW5 or something saying "works on GTX 7XX and Radeon 20XXX only" because it was written closely around those chips. Not to mention that devs don't have the resources to basically code drivers into their engines. Oh, and the security risk (i.e. crashes, memory corruption).

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If DirectX is the problem, AMD, Nvidia and Microsoft should form a Team to develop a better DirectX

That was tried with DX10. nVidia didn't want to wait, and we got DX9c instead. Consoles use these chips, slightly modified, but you can almost literally blame the problem with performance disparity between platforms entirely on nV pushing out capable hardware too early.

The flip-side, of course, is that consoles are still doing as well as they are thanks to nV pushing forward-looking technology earlier.

Plain and simple, nV officially stated, Microsoft doesn't know hardware, so what Microsoft wanted to do with DX10 just wasn't the right way to do things.

..and here we sit. Exponential real-world hardware performance increases, usable performance increase down to outright mediocre.

nVidia has then gone on to exploit what Microsoft put forward in 10.1, and said screw you, Microsoft, once again, and that inititive failed yet again.

Now we have CUDA, and nVidia has effectively held back Microsoft from implementing what truly is the proper platform.

So, now, nvidia hold patents that prevent other makers from implementing the same sort of software-hardware integration using DX(CUDA API library), so DX has to go, so that nVidia no longer holds so much control.

the problem is that the replacement...it's gonna be filled with the same problems, no matter what.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
its just propaganda .. amd is looking for a "directx 12" that they can use to promote their new products.

back to close to metal development means going back to the times of DOS. every developer had to write their own engine, own directx, own hardware support. windows gaming & directx is successful because everybody with any budget can produce titles

for every serious developer the bottom line of this article is "screw the pc and develop for consoles" - which is what almost everybody is doing

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
Plain and simple, nV officially stated, Microsoft doesn't know hardware, so what Microsoft wanted to do with DX10 just wasn't the right way to do things.

They never tried to seriously develop a decent DirectX, all you said is true, but it would help all of them to sell more. I'm not going to replace my 5850 anytime soon, i mean a 3-4 year old 8800GT/GTS/GTX can run Crysis 2 quite well according to Nvidia (i have one and it's true). Now we have a new enemy to blame apparently, DirectX and Consoles.

But as i said before: DirectX – You Can’t Live With it, You Can’t Live Without it

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
oh and has AMD/ATI ever succeeded in bringing any graphics API/interface/paradigm to market successfully ? I can only think of the failures

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Making a new API would just give you new overhead.

It seems to me that either you write your own optimized API for each game engine or you suck it up and use DirectX.

robn

Processor i7 920 @ 3520MHz locked on 1.04V, all features on
Motherboard Biostar T-Power x58 + ASUS U3S6 + Broadcom WiFi
Cooling Akasa Nero S on the i7 + 2 Akasa Apache case fans
Memory 24Gig Kingston HyperX DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX GTX260 216 XT
Storage 240Gig SanDisk SSD, 750Gig Spinpoint F1
Display(s) BenQ E2200HD
Case Coolermaster Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Realtek(!) with M-Audio AV40 + Wharfedale SW150
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650
Software Win7 64 Pro / Fedora KDE
Benchmark Scores wPrime 32M 7.265sec - 3DMark2001 57673 - Intel Linpack 50.6237 GFlops
Perhaps we should lay down a gaunlet for AMD's Richard Huddy: get a crack team of coders and some top notch hardware - in one fixed configuration, and see how soon AMD can create an engine which runs "on the metal".

I mean that's basically what Sony, Nintendo, and MS do "do" with consoles ...and it takes them 5+ years between generations.

I kinda get the feeling the guy probably didn't mean exactly what he said :laugh:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
oh and has AMD/ATI ever succeeded in bringing any graphics API/interface/paradigm to market successfully ? I can only think of the failures

Yeah, AMD/ATi, seemingly, lack in the software department, yet at the same time, nV truly excels at it. They've managed to leverage this ability in thier staff time and again, and then we hear the calls the change it all, os that someone else might have a chance at the same success.

I kinda wish that Microsoft would leave the API-development to nVidia only, nVidia would leave the hardware to AMD/ATI and Intel only(who liscence the API from nV), and everyone would end up happy.

Dunno how well that would work business-wise, but with Mr J.H. saying nV is a software company, it kinda seems like the direction it's headed anyway.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Video Card(s) IGP
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Software win10
What I'd like to see is a stripped down modular API that can be customized according to what you need, so that every dev can make their own version and only add the things he needs for realizing his particular vision.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
HHardware accelerated upscaled video and a 3D title while using two sound devices, one on the gpu rendering both items with no issues?

Consoles can't do that, graphics cards can.

The API is old and cart in front of the horse, buut it allows for alot that we want a PC to do.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
an interesting read, shows the eventual path GPU's will take.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
When game developers treat PC games like consoles then is it any wonder you get articles such as these? The idea that programming directly to hardware for PC games would be something "good" over DX is suspect to the intent of the such a statement.

Does anyone really think if it was this bad that DX would have lasted this long? The only thing that makes sense to me as to why ATI (of all companies only Intel has a worse track record with drivers) would suggest such a thing is to some how help move along OpenCL. Just the nightmare that would ensue from no DX API on a PC would end in a subsequent nightmare for the driver team.

One thing Bit-Tech fails to point out in the article is that console games are heavily CPU intense because the GPU power is criteria 2003 (roughly). When games get moved over to the PC, the excessiveness of the power available begs the question of why take time to tweak the game (plus most sales are seen on consoles)? GTA IV was probably the most recent fail of this approach that I had the displeasure of taking part in when the game came out.

Not to defend ATI (because I agree with you) but nVidia (at best) buys APIs. Though at least they can maintain them.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I agree with Wiz, it's just marketing BS. They are trying to talk up a new wave of sales. Perhaps its a DX12 or perhaps its just consoles.

THe problem that AMD and nvidia have is that only a small percentage of games really need much GPU power at all and the majority of games will soon be easily available via the cloud. If the average joe gamer can play 80% of his games using an integrated intel unit and a subscripton to a live service, where will the console sales go? Phones?

The GPU manufacturers need get used to the idea that it might only be hard core PC based DX buyers left in the market in a few years time, a thought I'm sure they dread. In the meantime, why not make up a story about DX11 being crap to dicourage game developers from leaving the herd.

Funtoss

System Name My Heater
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus P5B-E Plus
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 NT
Memory Patriot 4GB 800MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Storage 2x Western Digital 640GB (1.28TB)
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2349wm 24"
Case Raidmax Hurricane
Audio Device(s) C-Media 8738
Power Supply Aywun Megapower 650w 80+
Software Windows 7 64 Bit
wow just wow? direct x is holding us back?? wtf lol