• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Slow and intermittent internet signal, both direct and wifi -what's the problem here?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Please bear with my n00bness regarding networking. :eek:

Relatives of mine live above their workplace. They have got 2 phone lines, let's call them line A and line B.

Downstairs, at the workplace, they have a modem and a router and they use line B for the phone, and line A for the internet.

At home, on the floor above, they use line A both for Internet and for phone. They also have another router and modem there upstairs, because the router down below isn't powerful enough to cater for both floors.

Now here are the issues:

1) If the "upstairs" router and modem are switched on, they cut off the "downstairs" internet signal. I was thinking it's because you can't have more than one modem on the same phone line (A) but I want to confirm this. :)

2) It's always the downstairs internet access which quits. If the downstairs is connected there's no way it can "win" over the upstairs signal. Why?

3) When phoneline A is used for a normal land-line phone call, the downstairs internet signal also quits, even if neither upstairs router or modem are switched on. Why?

4) Downstairs the internet connection is 'nearly' what they're paying for, checked it with Speedtest. Whereas upstairs they are getting slightly less than half the speed they're paying for. They can't even view online streaming or a youtube video without endless buffering making it not worth even trying. This happens whether the router and modem downstairs are switched on or off.

So, any clues where I might start here?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OK, so yes, only one modem per DSL line.

Secondly, it seems that somehow the splitting of the phone connection is dropping the signal power.

In order to eliminate the issue, I suggest trying DSL filters if they are not already in place. Otherwise, it's gonna take a tech with the proper tools to test the connection from start to finish, to find the real problem.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Thanks Cadaveca, that was the first thing I told them - I had never had heard of having 2 modems on the same DSL line myself but I wanted to make sure.

About the splitting of the line connection, why do they have this problem then?
I have only one phone line at home and use DSL myself. Using speedtest I get my full paid-for speed whether using my desktop plugged into pc-router-modem-phone plug or whether I'm using wifi from laptop anywhere in or near the house.

I use a simple filter which separates the modem's line from the phone line at the first wall socket. The guys in question got a better 'multiple' filter.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
To me, sounds like upstairs router is closer to actual line from the pole. DSLl will only go to cloest connection, which would, in that situation, be the upstairs...turn on upstairs, it has shortest path, it kicks the lower one off, evne though lower may already be authenticated.

Seem that there is also a problem with either a shared ground, or the line for the upstairs is split off near router to go downstairs. With the shared ground, upstairs doesn't have the best path...wiring problems....there's something throwing a curveball here, and while I can suggest ideas, they may be nowhere near the actual issue, and that's why i suggested getting an actual tech if there are already filters in place. The wiring in the house/whatever there really needs to be properly inspected.

Custom installations like this should always be done by a trained professional. Wiring for internet is the only pc-related thing that I'll point people to the business's techs...they have access to tools and such that no person ouside of the ISP will have, that are required to properly deal with issues like this. Using two differnt routers for one location just isn't right, at all...if need be, a proper router and wiring would be the right way to do it, or maybe even two routers, with one set as an extender to the first...but never EVER ever two modems.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
def too much stuff plugged in:D

no seriously probably that because the phone lines have limited power going throuth them all phones have what i think is called a rem or bell value, which is normally one sometimes more or less and your only supposed to plug three phones in or the signal to them will degrade to the point of disconnect.

and im sure thats despite the poss existance of externall power to any of the phones

im no telecoms eng mere mastter of nowt but thats the gist of what i know

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
OK, so yes, only one modem per DSL line.

Secondly, it seems that somehow the splitting of the phone connection is dropping the signal power.

The wiring in the house/whatever there really needs to be properly inspected.

Custom installations like this should always be done by a trained professional. Wiring for internet is the only pc-related thing that I'll point people to the business's techs...they have access to tools and such that no person ouside of the ISP will have, that are required to properly deal with issues like this.

Playing devil's advocate here, I'm also splitting my phone connection but my connection stability and speed is perfect.

[EDIT] I have only 2 phones on my DSL line though.

My relatives have 3 phones on their DSL, and another 3 on the other line...

Also, the wiring being used both in my case and that of my relatives (both DSL) are the existing phone lines. There was nothing done anew when internet connections came into being. Would you still think an inspection is due in such case?

the phone lines have limited power going through them all phones have what i think is called a rem or bell value, which is normally one sometimes more or less and your only supposed to plug three phones in or the signal to them will degrade to the point of disconnect.

Interesting. I'll be looking through that.

Their "Line B" (i.e. the 'work phone' see my first post above) has got 3 phones into it. And the "Line A" i.e. the 'home phone' at their home has got another 3.... :ohwell:

Last edited:
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
i believe something can be added to the phone line to remmedy this but not tele tec, surely someone on here is and can confirm my admittedly strange tale which i assure you is true try plugging 4 or more phones in 1 line they all stop working.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
If I can solve this out by telling them to unplug extra phones from the sockets... it'll already be a great step forward for them :)

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
sure itll work mate i am electronics eng and know this to be true but not telecoms so dont know it as they would and obv have trouble with the terms and names lol

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
i believe something can be added to the phone line to remmedy this but not tele tec, surely someone on here is and can confirm my admittedly strange tale which i assure you is true try plugging 4 or more phones in 1 line they all stop working.

It's called a REN number, but I think it only affects the line if you get an incoming call and all phones are ringing at the same time.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/ren.htm

Pretty sure you can have as many phones as you like on the same line you just get the same incoming signal, so when someone calls every phone rings and gets the call. What usually happens is that old phones got current from the telephone socket but newer phones are powered by a plug.

I don't think you can have 2 routers on one phone line they interfere with each other right? Authentication and ip address or something like that right?

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
old phones got current from the telephone socket but newer phones are powered by a plug.

The phones in this case are plugged only into the telephone socket and they take all the power from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The phones in this case are plugged only into the telephone socket and they take all the power from there.

Your limited by how many phones you can use then, usually up to 3 or 4 (the maximum on a BT line). Then it starts to cause problems like said disconnection and even no signal at all.

"In telecommunication, a ringer equivalence number (REN) is a somewhat arbitrary number which denotes the electrical load a telephone ringer has on the line."

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
What's a tad strange is that even if modem & router are switched off from their upstairs "Line A" and internet is functioning at the storey below on the other modem & router (on same "Line A"), as soon as they either make or receive a call from a phone on "Line A" above at the home the internet at the storey below shuts off. :confused:

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
week connection somewhere could possibly be lowering the ren(yeh new word for me) woo capability of your line ?

Namslas90

What's a tad strange is that even if modem & router are switched off from their upstairs "Line A" and internet is functioning at the storey below on the other modem & router (on same "Line A"), as soon as they either make or receive a call from a phone on "Line A" above at the home the internet at the storey below shuts off. :confused:

Wiring issues, probably crossed tip wires between lines. Could also be a poor or non-existent grounding issue. Telephone connections are simple to the trained eye, most think they get it right, but its easy to make simple errors. Yes not only should you have only one modem per line but the switching back and forth between modems causes "authorization of use" issues with the ISP control server. The house address verification may allow a connection at slower access because of the mismatched modem ID to that street address. Best solution would be to have the phone wires upgraded to cat5 and properly routed throughout the residence for proper service.

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
I would try running a network cable from downstairs to the house above.Then just use a simple switch if you need to run more than one PC.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
maybe a network hub instead of the two routers