• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Smart Response Technology Detailed

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Remember the very first strains of Ibex Peak LGA1156 platform motherboards such as this one? Remember that small memory slot next to the bigger DIMM slots? That was Intel's ambitious "Braidwood" technology, a NAND-flash based hard drive assist feature. Fast NAND flash memory would be installed onto the motherboard in the form of removable modules, and those modules would quicken system booting, and act as a fast cache for the system drive. Alas, Braidwood was axed for reasons unknown till date. Maybe it made Ibex Peak platform a lot faster than it should be, or maybe its design wasn't perfected or flawed. Regardles, it disappeared.

Two platforms (Ibex Peak and Cougar Point) later, a similar technology is making its way through Intel's pipes, this time it has a proper market name: Intel Smart Response Technology, and comes with another new development, Larsen Creek. Larsen Creek is the codename of Intel's upcoming line of solid state drives. However, it is targeting entry-level, low-capacity markets, and what better way to sell it than club it with Intel's new platform technology, Smart Response. Instead of NAND flash modules (Braidwood), Intel's Smart Response technology uses SATA SSDs to accelerate hard drives. The SSD can be of any size and speed, it's just that Larsen Creek is the most appropriate given that it will come in capacities as low as 20 GB, and be quite inexpensive.

Smart Response provides a middle ground between capacious but slow and inexpensive hard drive storage, and fast but small and expensive SSD. With it, one can retain a high-capacity hard drive, and speed it up using a small SSD. The technology uses the small SSD's low access times and high speeds to make it work as a cache of the HDD, it might even store copies of key parts of the HDD such as the boot volume and system files, to make booting faster, and the system more responsive overall. The technology that goes into this, however, isn't ground-breakingly new. It builds upon some principles of Windows ReadyBoost that lets you use flash-based storage devices as system caches, and similar HDD/SSD hybrid storage solutions such as SilverStone HDD Boost.

Intel put its new technology to test with PCMark 05 where the test system saw over 350% jump in HDD score. A more real-world test such as Windows startup time, saw close to 20% reduction. Intel's Smart Response Technology will be provided with the upcoming Z68 chipset and future Panther Point chipsets.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
yeah like that but its interesting when intel that launch it, just waiting what will come next

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
What comes next?

More marketing and a lot of fail. :laugh:

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
What comes next?

More marketing and a lot of fail. :laugh:

Exactly what I was thinking. Conventional SSDs already improve booting times, so I don't really know where they are heading with this.

System Name Old Damned Rigs!
Processor AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE 2.5GHz
Motherboard MSI K9A2-CF
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 PC8500
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce 9800GT
Storage Hitachi 250GB Sata-II
Display(s) Chimnei 22" LCD Wide
Case Powerlogic Modena GTX2500
Power Supply Amacrox Warrior 400w
Software Windows XP Professional SP3
so basically they put a *little* thing on the harddrive to make your system boot up faster?

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Intel put its new technology to test with PCMark 05 where the test system saw over 350% jump in HDD score. A more real-world test such as Windows startup time, saw close to 20% reduction. Intel's Smart Response Technology will be provided with the upcoming Z68 chipset and future Panther Point chipsets.

What kind of alternative reality is this? Where people boot up more than once/month and don't benchmark daily???

Anyhoo, will wait and see how well this scales. RAID-0 a couple SSD's on the 6Gbps ports to cache your 4 x xTB RAID-5 array? Would certainly go beyond Silverstone's and Highpoints's solution while being much cheaper than Adaptec or LSI.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
The technology that goes into this, however, isn't ground-breakingly new. It builds upon some principles of Windows ReadyBoost that lets you use flash-based storage devices as system caches, and similar HDD/SSD hybrid storage solutions such as SilverStone HDD Boost.

The tech can't be ground breaking when its built on top of ReadyBoost and designed to work like something released well before it like SilverStone HDD Boost and Seagate's Momentus XT. Its like saying the iPhone 4 was ground breaking.

Congrads Intel, you have given us technology we already have in 2 different forms.

Processor Intel Core i7-6700k - Stock, multi core boost enabled
Motherboard MSI Z170i Gaming Pro AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S + Arctic MX2 thermal paste, 2 case fans (front and rear).
Memory 2x8gb Kingston DDR4 2666mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Geforce 1060 GTX Gaming X
Storage 120gb Samsung 830 EVO SSD, 240gb Samung 840 Evo SSD, 1tb Seagate HDD, 960gb Corsair Force MP510B
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 1920x1080
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX SE
Power Supply SilverStone SST-ST85F-P
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard Steelseries 6Gv2 - Cherry MX Black edition
Software OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 multicore score: 2249. Cinebench R23 multicore score: 5149.
I think its pretty good, and also a cheap method in boosting speed.

With this, i can re-use my "old" sata harddrive, buy a compactflash to sata adapter on ebay, buy a 2-4gb flashcard and bam, instant speed boost.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
What kind of alternative reality is this? Where people boot up more than once/month and don't benchmark daily???

L!!11!!11ESSSSSS!!! :laugh:

The tech can't be ground breaking when its built on top of ReadyBoost and designed to work like something released well before it like SilverStone HDD Boost and Seagate's Momentus XT. Its like saying the iPhone 4 was ground breaking.

Congrads Intel, you have given us technology we already have in 2 different forms.

Don't worry, that's why we have Intel marketing.

Which reminds me, I think AMD should have just settled with Intel by getting their marketing team. They could convince the world that nVidia gave your dogs and cats cancer and that AMD processors only seem slow because they constantly time warp without the user knowing it. :laugh:

micksh

With this, i can re-use my "old" sata harddrive, buy a compactflash to sata adapter on ebay, buy a 2-4gb flashcard and bam, instant speed boost.

Wrong. You can't. 2-4GB is too small. But it's OK for ReadyBoost which you could use 4.5 years ago if you wanted. And you need to know what card to get, with slow one you get bam, instant speed knock.

Source link doesn't work. It appears that vr-zone reported this 3 days earlier than NordicHardware with more information.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-ssd-caching-feature-for-z68-chipset-explored/11953.html
For example, "The SSD can be of any size" doesn't seem to be true. While it can be of any size it won't make any sense unless SSD is at least 18.6GB.

“Cache SSD” must have 18.6GB minimum capacity. The max. cache size is 64GB so any capacity over 64GB will be used for user data

And yes, it most likely won't be that helpful.
Writing speed will be limited by the slowest component (unless you want to sacrifice reliability). Cheap small SSD won't allow fast sequential write. HDD won't allow fast random write.
The only benefit is faster reading. Since there is no OS support it probably won't be that efficient - wrong files can be cashed on SSD.
And then there is SuperFetch which reduces the need in fast reading.
Reportedly it will be priced around $45-60. Add $20 and you can get 32GB SSD boot drive that surely will give better performance.

enterco

Processor Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P-B3
Cooling ZeroTherm Core 92 Black Pearl
Memory 2 x 2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 CL7
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 560 Ti/OC
Storage 2xWD Caviar Black @MatrixRAID + Corsair F60
Display(s) LG 19" wide
Case Antec Sonata III 500
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec EA500
Software Win7 build 7100
I'm not too happy about the limitations

I tried to use Intel Smart Response with my 'Matrix RAID' setup, and I'm very disappointed about the following limitations:
"To enable acceleration, the maximum number of volumes in an array can't be greater or equal to 2"
"only one volume can be accelerated on a system"
I understand that someone using two data volumes per array can't use Smart Response. Also, if I build two arrays from 4 (or more) hard disks, I won't be able to accelerate more than one volume.
I assume that the best scenario to preserve data integrity AND accelerate the platform should be the following configuration:
- Buy 4 hard disks, a SSD and a Z68 motherboard
- Configure an array using RAID5
- accelerate the RAID5 volume with SmartResponse
Otherwise, only 'simple configurations' (a single mirrored volume) can be accelerated.