• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seriously overheating CPU! Help!

jackscoldsweat

Hello I need some help diagnosing an issue with my PC. I am not sure whether I am in the right section of the forums for this but I'm new. Anyway... My problem is that i torture tested my CPU with prime95 (small FFTs) and recorded the temperatures with real temp, and 2 of my cores hit 99C, I'm not sure if real temp records any higher, but i know its not good regardless. Before i tested the CPU i noticed that it was running at 1.1Ghz instead of the stock 2.93Ghz and that i was getting sub-par picture quality, i tested it to see if there was a problem, obviously there is. This all happened after i moved my computer to another house.

I am running...

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55M-UD2
CPU: Intel Core i7 870 (stock cooler)
GPU: Amaze Radeon 5770HD
RAM: 4Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Hard-Drive: 1Tb Western Digital Green
Power Supply: Ritmo Force 860 Gaming (Horride Thing)

Everything is at stock, untouched, and has never been touched. I think this is a problem with cooling.

Please help, I am getting pretty worried. I am still under warranty, i have only had this computer for about 8 months. If you need any more info please ask.

System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard ASSRockzz z77TOTHEEXTREME!!!!
Cooling bleh
Memory 2x4gb crucial 1866
Video Card(s) HD7770, yes it does BF3
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Case whats that, oh my table
Audio Device(s) stock onboard thing
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
the stock cooler might have gotten a bit loose when you moved the rig

can you take of the sidepanel to check it?

jackscoldsweat

I have already done that, and checked it, I'm also running an open case at the moment because i thought it might help. Should i close my case?

How safe do you feel taking your parts out the case?

Reason I ask is because I think you may be best testing the rig out on an open worktop, there could also be something stuck inside your case somewhere.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
How did you notice that it is downclocked to 1.1 GHz? Check with CPU-Z your stock clocks. The sub-par picture quality has nothing to do with the CPU. At 99C the CPU should have been down throttling due to thermal danger. Start a test something like cinebench and watch temps and clocks via realtemp or coretempand CPU-z.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
when you make it down technically the temp should be lower coz it aint use its max power, i guess check the hsf, tighten, clean it check the fan
but 90 some celcius, is that right? recheck it again. but if its true you better plan buying aftermarket cooler
for reducing the temp you could try replace the fan with bigger one, replace the thermal paste, or lapping the hsf, and create better airflow but if it doesnt help much it looks aftermarket cooler is the answer

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
A few things.

1 What do you mean by "sub par picture quality"? As others have said, a dodgy CPU wouldn't cause this, but it might still be relevant in some way

2 It's likely that your heatsink isn't sitting quite right after being moved and a simple visual check can't detect this. You should take it right off, clean off the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, put new paste and put it back on. Use good quality paste like Arctic Silver etc

3 Try using the official Gigabyte utility for measuring temperature. It's always possible that a third party one may not work properly with your board.

That PSU sounds like a cheap and nasty, as you say it's "horrid". Once you sort out the overheat, I recommend that you invest in a quality model. This will save grief later with things like stability problems, noise and the chance that your cheap PSU can literally go up in smoke and take out the rest of the PC with it.

Brands such as Corsair, Seasonic and a few others are the ones to go for.

Finally, welcome to TPU! :toast:

@micropage7 - He state's his rig was fine before he moved house... leads to me to believe something may of come loose or got trapped causing these insane readings, ofcourse if I am wrong then he should look into testing each component on another rig (if possible). I don't see this being an cooler issue (unless it has came loose, but he said he's checked for that) as again he said his rig was fine before he moved house.

EDIT: Listen to Qubit! A lame PSU will more than often cause some real nightmare's :/

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
EDIT: Listen to Qubit! A lame PSU will more than often cause some real nightmare's :/

Thankyou, flattery will get you everywhere! :D :toast:

jackscoldsweat

How did you notice that it is downclocked to 1.1 GHz? Check with CPU-Z your stock clocks. The sub-par picture quality has nothing to do with the CPU. At 99C the CPU should have been down throttling due to thermal danger. Start a test something like cinebench and watch temps and clocks via realtemp or coretempand CPU-z.

I saw the speed with CPU-Z and it also said the same thing on real-temp. I just tested it again and at 99C it dropped down to 2.6Ghz and note that when i test it it runs at its normal speed and is running at 1.1Ghz at idle (idle temp is about 45C)

when you make it down technically the temp should be lower coz it aint use its max power, i guess check the hsf, tighten, clean it check the fan
but 90 some celcius, is that right? recheck it again. but if its true you better plan buying aftermarket cooler
for reducing the temp you could try replace the fan with bigger one, replace the thermal paste, or lapping the hsf, and create better airflow but if it doesnt help much it looks aftermarket cooler is the answer

I am thinking of buying an after market cooler but I think there is a problem with the physical CPU, and maybe not the cooling, but if it is a cooling issue which one would you suggest? I have about $100 to spend.

I may stand corrected but I'm pretty sure your CPU will downclock itself @idle to save energy/power :D

Thankyou, flattery will get you everywhere!

Well I certainly do try :p

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I may stand corrected but I'm pretty sure your CPU will downclock itself @idle to save energy/power :D

It does if ... whatever the thing is called is turned on. There's an option for that in BIOS.

Processor 2500K / 6600K
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Don't know what speeds uses the 870 when idle but there if you have 45C then it's definitely a cooler heatsink issue.

It does if ... whatever the thing is called is turned on. There's an option for that in BIOS.

... and it sounds like it is in this case wouldn't you say?

Anyone know what it's called for the Intel chips? Maybe you could give them that info and let the OP check for themselves in BIOS :)

EDIT: @jackscoldsweat - what about taking your parts out for testing on a bench/worktop/desk?

Processor 2500K / 6600K
for this second gen core it's called speedstep or EIST, it might be the same for him.

jackscoldsweat

A few things.

1 What do you mean by "sub par picture quality"? As others have said, a dodgy CPU wouldn't cause this, but it might still be relevant in some way

2 It's likely that your heatsink isn't sitting quite right after being moved and a simple visual check can't detect this. You should take it right off, clean off the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, put new paste and put it back on. Use good quality paste like Arctic Silver etc

3 Try using the official Gigabyte utility for measuring temperature. It's always possible that a third party one may not work properly with your board.

That PSU sounds like a cheap and nasty, as you say it's "horrid". Once you sort out the overheat, I recommend that you invest in a quality model. This will save grief later with things like stability problems, noise and the chance that your cheap PSU can literally go up in smoke and take out the rest of the PC with it.

Brands such as Corsair, Seasonic and a few others are the ones to go for.

Finally, welcome to TPU! :toast:

Thanks!

1. I didn't think it was related but it was the first sign of something going wrong.

2. I have taken my heatsink off and re-attached it. I think I'll get some thermal paste and maybe an after market cooler too.

3. I'll give it a try.

And yes this PSU is awful $40 for a 860w power supply, big mistake :/ ahhh well im replacing it soon.

for this second gen core it's called speedstep or EIST, it might be the same for him.

I think i know what you mean, ill turn it off and tell you the idle temps at normal frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i know what you mean, ill turn it off and tell you the idle temps at normal frequency.

If your experiencing high temps it's best to leave it on, as this should help keep temps down to the minimal, and having it on never hurt anything anyways :)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Thanks!

1. I didn't think it was related but it was the first sign of something going wrong.

2. I have taken my heatsink off and re-attached it. I think I'll get some thermal paste and maybe an after market cooler too.

3. I'll give it a try.

And yes this PSU is awful $40 for a 860w power supply, big mistake :/ ahhh well im replacing it soon.

You still haven't explained what you mean by sub par picture quality - what effect do you see? This is important, as it means that the PSU may already be giving you grief.

If you have removed and reconnected the heatsink without applying thermal paste, then you have done very badly my friend! It's a golden rule to always reapply the paste once the heatsink has come off. Regardless of the initial cause of your high temps, this will cause it now. You shouldn't use the PC until you've sorted this out, or you could well slowly damage your CPU. Your call.

Once you've sorted out your heatsink, you could also load your BIOS with default values. There's a tiny little chance that somehow the mobo is now feeding the CPU with too many volts. I had an Abit mobo with that fault once. Very dangerous.

Processor 2500K / 6600K
If you have removed and reconnected the heatsink without applying thermal paste, then you have done very badly my friend! It's a golden rule to always reapply the paste once the heatsink has come off. Regardless of the initial cause of your high temps, this will cause it now. You shouldn't use the PC until you've sorted this out, or you could well slowly damage your CPU. Your call.

So I would stop here, get some thermal paste if you don't have any around and then check again.

jackscoldsweat

If your experiencing high temps it's best to leave it on, as this should help keep temps down to the minimal, and having it on never hurt anything anyways :)

You still haven't explained what you mean by sub par picture quality - what effect do you see? This is important, as it means that the PSU may already be giving you grief.

Once you've sorted out your heatsink, you could also load your BIOS with default values. There's a tiny little chance that somehow the mobo is now feeding the CPU with too many volts. I had an Abit mobo with that fault once. Very dangerous.

I turned them on to test and idle temps, yes IDLE TEMPS are 52C - 58C maxing out at 69C. I am going to turni it off and get a new heatsink and thermal paste.

The sub-par picture quality is hard to explain but it looks like there is a lack of anti-aliasing, if that makes sense. Everything is blurry. Anyway, I am going to turn off my computer, get a new heat sink and thermal paste and reset my defaults. Thanks very much for the help!
Hopefully it'll all work out.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I turned them on to test and idle temps, yes IDLE TEMPS are 52C - 58C maxing out at 69C. I am going to turni it off and get a new heatsink and thermal paste.

The sub-par picture quality is hard to explain but it looks like there is a lack of anti-aliasing, if that makes sense. Everything is blurry. Anyway, I am going to turn off my computer, get a new heat sink and thermal paste and reset my defaults. Thanks very much for the help!
Hopefully it'll all work out.

Awesome, you've made the right decision. Glad to help! :toast:

BTW you don't need to replace the heatsink to fix the problem. Getting a better one will simply improve performance.

Regarding the dodgy video display. Am I right that the desktop looks fuzzy even though you have set it to the monitor's native resolution? Also, you're either running off the card's digital output, or the analog and have pressed the Auto button to sync the monitor to it.

I've seen that effect before too and it appears to be a driver/Windows bug that affects nvidia cards more than ATI. I can't prove it, but I believe it's the video DRM called Protected Video Path baked into Vista & 7, kicking in when it shouldn't. Specifically, it's designed to degrade the picture quality of Blu-rays played on non-HDCP compliant monitors, such as analog connections to prevent "piracy". :rolleyes: Shit, don't get me started on the evils of DRM...

Updating/reinstalling the driver and rebooting usually fixes it.

Finally, fill in your system specs dude - it helps us help you and is really cool. :cool: Have a look at my specs perhaps under the mini stats on the left, to see how it looks.

System Name MSI GT72S 6QE
Processor Core i7 6820HK
Motherboard Intel Sunrise Point CM236
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 2x 8 GB SO-DIMM DDR4-RAM (2133 MHz)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - 8192 MB
Storage 1 ssd 3 hard drives
Display(s) 17.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1 (LGD0469), IPS, Full HD
Case ??!!!
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC899
Power Supply most beautiful brick you have ever seen
Turn off the new AMD anti aliasing option maybe? (Morphological Anti-Aliasing)