• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elder Scrolls V SKYRIM !! 11-11-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
That is a very valid point, and I agree with you. Interestingly, I got the feeling that every town and NPC in Oblivion was cut from a mold. I got the sensation, if you call it that, that I was walking around a cookie-cutter world filled with all the same people and things. I was very bored walking around on my own (ie not doing a quest). I never got that feeling from Morrowind or Daggerfall.

I tried to walk into the woods, and find a cave. I did, and I explored it, but all of the caves were generic. The ones that were not were filled with locked doors for quest lines that I didn't have open yet, so I was turned away. That sucks. In Morrowind, there were no locked doors. You could kill a god or two if you felt like it. I should say, I tried to feel the same experience of wonder & interest. There was real cosmology in morrowind, the entire world had a backstory that was set in stone. You can see it in the architecture, in the races, in the clothing and the landscape. Natives, Redoran, Telvanni etc etc where fully developed cultures with seemingly real issues regarding drugs, sex, violence, politics, racism, sexism, slave trade, culture, war, religion, influence from the empire and the much much more.

In Oblivion, my expressed thoughts were much like "SO, the whole country is built on a ruined ancient elven landscape...the king is dead and you have to save the country. Is that it?" Luckily there where many quests and most of the towns had some sense of identity to them, but it was shit-tier gaming no matter how you slice it. Sure they tried to present different architectural styles, but they ultimately failed. All the churches are the same, all the houses are the same, the guards are the same. They change the colors, the layouts, but they never develop any cultural influence.

In Morrowind there was real conflict, real confusion and mystery. You get sent to the island, and if you want, you don't even have to start the main quest. If you don't go straight to Caius Cusade's house, you never get stuck with an amulet that you can't drop.:roll:

Morrowind was a psychological masterpiece compared to any other game in History, and I refuse to accept whatever crap comes out of Skyrim.

Psychological masterpiece? lol. I always love how people over glorify their favorite games from the forever ago.

You don't have to do the main quest in Oblivion either. The amulet weights nothing so carrying it around does not change anything about you while you have it. I will admit there was some serious need for a larger, more diverse voice acting cast. That cannot be denied and occasionally seeing a VO talking to himself or me talking to the same VO like 4 times in a row was quiet annoying, but it didn't happen often.

It is very clear that you did not experience Oblivion. You seemed to have turned it on, did a few pieces of the main quest, screamed "This is not Morrowind!" and quit.

Because locks are your kryptonite. I just picked the lock. There is a distinct culture, history, problems, and secrets to every single town in Oblivion. The reason all of them look alike is because all the cities were built by Imperials. Over the years people settled in different cities for various reasons such as climate, racism, classism, and/or business needs. Argonians are treated like crap, so they try to avoid humans (Imperials in particular), and settled in Cyradiil as close to the Black Marsh as possible. There is a underground drug trade. The Ruler of Skingrad is a vampire and a nice guy, but can take on 4 armed men with his bare hands, so don't mess with him. The only slave trade i remember was people enslaving ogres. There was a lot of other things that shaped the world of Cyradiil, but I will stop there.

The difference is the game was centered around these social issues raised by racism and unfair treatment of the various races. Mainly because more important crap was going on.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I've played both Morrowind and Oblivion extensively.
Morrowind is superior to Oblivion in almost every way other than graphics, in my opinion.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Morrowind is superior to Oblivion in almost every way other than graphics, in my opinion.

I've heard the same, but it wouldn't mean Oblivion wasn't a great game. I personally couldn't stand the melee combat in either so I couldn't bring myself to play them sadly.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
I've heard the same, but it wouldn't mean Oblivion wasn't a great game. I personally couldn't stand the melee combat in either so I couldn't bring myself to play them sadly.

Don't use melee.

Funtoss

System Name My Heater
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus P5B-E Plus
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 NT
Memory Patriot 4GB 800MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Storage 2x Western Digital 640GB (1.28TB)
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2349wm 24"
Case Raidmax Hurricane
Audio Device(s) C-Media 8738
Power Supply Aywun Megapower 650w 80+
Software Windows 7 64 Bit
hey so its coming out in dx 11 right? and also do you need to try other elder scrolls to follow this game or does this have its own unique story?

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Generally unique. Not like Mass Effect series, for example.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
hey so its coming out in dx 11 right? and also do you need to try other elder scrolls to follow this game or does this have its own unique story?

Yes. And you may want to brush up on general history and their pantheon of Gods, but not the entire previous games. It will be a unique self-contained story.

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
I agree with this 100%. I just recently installed Oblivion again with some mods like OOO and QTP3, I'm hoping I can really get into it this time around. When I tried to play vanilla years ago, I got bored pretty quick.
Don't use melee.
Magic FTW.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Don't use melee.

I don't play girly casters, when I play games in that setting, I am the Kurgan. I like feeling like the big action star, who when people see me coming they just crap their pants. And with no body adjustments in Oblivion it was hard form e to get into that, just couldn't make an impressive looking hero. Fallout I could get into a bit more because I was using guns and crap, felt more like an FPS, didn't make me want to cut people up.

Plus I didn't really find casting all that enjoyable either, I might mix it up with the nice 2 hand system in Skyrim though if they have some sweet stuff.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
I don't play girly casters, when I play games in that setting, I am the Kurgan. I like feeling like the big action star, who when people see me coming they just crap their pants. And with no body adjustments in Oblivion it was hard form e to get into that, just couldn't make an impressive looking hero. Fallout I could get into a bit more because I was using guns and crap, felt more like an FPS, didn't make me want to cut people up.

Plus I didn't really find casting all that enjoyable either, I might mix it up with the nice 2 hand system in Skyrim though if they have some sweet stuff.

You could have been an Archer via thief stealth killing system. No magic and no melee. It was the gun of old days.

Actually there are several mods to give you crossbows and/or muskets. They were not game braking either.....cause the muskets sucked for accuracy. Or you could use a nice magic mod like Midus Magic Emporium. Some of the spells were a little OP, but they were also a bitch to create as well. You had to earn the OP stuff.

Sorry, I tend to fix any weakness the game with mods. Its why I am a little bias. lol

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I havent played any of them. Im a big Fallout guy. Will I be able to pick SKYRIM up and know whats going on? In Fallout you can.....but its better to know the backstory.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
I picked up Oblivion without even knowing Morrowind existed... so i'm going to say yes.

Benetanegia

In Fallout you can.....but its better to know the backstory.

Same for Elder Scrolls. You can play it without any issues, but having played previous games allows you to better understand the lore, religion and the history which is one of the best things of the saga IMO. Pretty much like The Lord of the Rings is good in a big part because of the same things.

Most of it you will be able to read on books that you can find in-game (if you bother to read them) so you don't loose anything for not having played the previous ones, except that reading the accumulated number of books from all the games in a single game, can become tedious.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

i love that mind set "girly casters" I love meeting tanks like you online when im playing NWN or DDO or w/e else i might be on for. because you guys run up with your long swords talking smack over your head set because you have 90 more hitpoints then me and can carry 600lbs. That when i usually cast Power Word:Kill you fail the will save and immedielty die on the spot. and i continue happily to my destination after taking all your stuff. You mad?

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
I don't play girly casters
I had to laugh at that, because I usually make all my magic-users female :laugh:

BTW, Skyrim looks like it might cater pretty well to both melee combat and magic.
You could have been an Archer via thief stealth killing system. No magic and no melee. It was the gun of old days.

Actually there are several mods to give you crossbows and/or muskets. They were not game braking either.....cause the muskets sucked for accuracy. Or you could use a nice magic mod like Midus Magic Emporium. Some of the spells were a little OP, but they were also a bitch to create as well. You had to earn the OP stuff.

Sorry, I tend to fix any weakness the game with mods. Its why I am a little bias. lol
There are also combat mods that make melee more fun I believe. I'm not bothering with any combat or magic mods right now because I don't mind the current system. Yeah, it's boring compared to an action game, but this is role-playing game.
I havent played any of them. Im a big Fallout guy. Will I be able to pick SKYRIM up and know whats going on? In Fallout you can.....but its better to know the backstory.
Yeah, pretty much. The games aren't linear, they're just set in the same world.
i love that mind set "girly casters" I love meeting tanks like you online when im playing NWN or DDO or w/e else i might be on for. because you guys run up with your long swords talking smack over your head set because you have 90 more hitpoints then me and can carry 600lbs. That when i usually cast Power Word:Kill you fail the will save and immedielty die on the spot. and i continue happily to my destination after taking all your stuff. You mad?
Hah, yeah I love killing people before they even get close to me :D

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye

I'm usually a ranger with two bastard swords.

Good luck :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I'm usually a ranger with two bastard swords.

Good luck :)

that seems legit i hope you dont have any penalties for carrying those swords or any failures because of armor check penalties I also hope that your dodge ability allows you to navigate your way through my holding spells assuming your dexterity is high enough. Or hopefully your hasted enough to dodge a spell of two before i nuke the entire area with a spell of "catastrophic" range. Thats all assuming you manage to get anyware before i cast time stop and mangle your body where you stand in real time, while you watch.

good luck.

Last edited:
System Name Eldritch
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Nah, I take whatever weapon size-related feat/s the game has to offer (oversized two-weapon fighting, monkey grip, or whatever they provide), and I tend to stick with studded leather so no penalties there.... my (starting) dexterity is generally around 16 or 17 (can't give an average number beyond that), so that's not too bad.... and I've got plenty of healing spells too, it's not like you can do too much with time stop....

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Nah, I take whatever weapon size-related feat/s the game has to offer (oversized two-weapon fighting, monkey grip, or whatever they provide), and I tend to stick with studded leather so no penalties there.... my (starting) dexterity is generally around 16 or 17 (can't give an average number beyond that), so that's not too bad.... and I've got plenty of healing spells too, it's not like you can do too much with time stop....

time stop does all i need it to for he few rounds i have though with a dex of 16 or 17 id have to say that im cheating a little im under the impression we are maxed characters no cantrips im talking level 10 and epic spells.

though this is kinda fun maybe we should join a RP forum.

System Name Eldritch
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
I knew you were talking about level 10 or so, but I don't really plan my characters that much... I usually start with about the same character and then end up doing whatever I feel like (probably take a level or two of Cleric, maybe rogue, or fighter for weapon specialization) so I don't exactly have a guide for what I would be/have at level 10 (levels 1-4 are pretty much concrete though).

treehouse

System Name hazel
Processor phenom II 555 BE unlocked to 4 cores at 3.6ghz
Motherboard asus m4a89gtdpro
Cooling antec kuhler
Memory 8gb corsair
Video Card(s) 2 x 6950 crossfire
Storage ocz ssd 60gb
Display(s) LG 24 inch 1080p
Case nzxt phantom
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply BeQuiet 750w
that seems legit i hope you dont have any penalties for carrying those swords or any failures because of armor check penalties I also hope that your dodge ability allows you to navigate your way through my holding spells assuming your dexterity is high enough. Or hopefully your hasted enough to dodge a spell of two before i nuke the entire area with a spell of "catastrophic" range. Thats all assuming you manage to get anyware before i cast time stop and mangle your body where you stand in real time, while you watch.

good luck.

and i hope you can do that all of that with 2 arrows in your head (30 fire 30 lightning 30 frost) ;)

not to mention the arrows specialty damage

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Check out this neat-ass environment

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I knew you were talking about level 10 or so, but I don't really plan my characters that much... I usually start with about the same character and then end up doing whatever I feel like (probably take a level or two of Cleric, maybe rogue, or fighter for weapon specialization) so I don't exactly have a guide for what I would be/have at level 10 (levels 1-4 are pretty much concrete though).

i didnt mean level 10 i ment level 10 spells i was casting under a character capped at lvl 40.

System Name The Venerable One
Processor Intel Core i7 980x 3.33GHz
Motherboard EVGA X58 FTW3
Cooling Big Ass fan pointed at the motherboard with the side panel off FTW
Memory 12GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked X2 in SLI
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256MB SSD/1.5TB HDD internal
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX 24" 1920X1200
Case SK-503 Super Case
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply SeaSonic 1000W Platinum Rated
Software Windows 7 Home SP1 64-bit
Benchmark Scores epic

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional
That pic has been shown in this thread already.

Sorry, I do most of my browsing @ work, don't have time to look @ everything.

Do you guys think they will have any easter eggs from the Bloodmoon expansion? Probably at least one naked nord, looking for a witch:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.