• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Paves the Way for the Next Gen. of Supercharged Desktop PCs with 9-Series Chipset

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD today launched its 9-Series chipset line-up today, helping PC builders to develop next generation high performance desktop platforms. The company also unveiled its 2011 HD Tablet Platform, based on the AMD Z-Series Accelerated Processing Unit (APU), enabling vivid media display and content creation capabilities for the fast-growing market of Microsoft Windows-based tablets. These new AMD products are designed to enable more immersive digital experiences for the PC and tablet markets.

"As consumer appetites for more compelling, lifelike visual experiences increase, there is greater need for high performance, smooth, vibrant graphics as well as unparalleled computing power," said John Taylor, product marketing director, AMD. "From tablets to desktops, AMD is making powerful computing accessible to everyone."

Desktops Get Supercharged with AMD 9-Series Chipset
AMD's 9-Series chipset provides the foundation for unlocking the highest-octane AMD desktop experience. The chipset is a key component of AMD's next generation "Scorpius" desktop platform, which will also feature the 8-core "Zambezi" processor and AMD Radeon HD6000 series discrete graphics cards for immersive HD entertainment and gaming experiences, extreme multitasking, tweaking, and overclocking.

The 9-Series chipsets are the first to support the AMD AM3+ socket processors, while incorporating AM3 socket backwards compatibility. These boards enable blazing fast performance with support for AMD CrossFireX technology, which allows up to four AMD Radeon GPUs to co-process for incredible graphics uplift. In addition, these chipsets support clock rate management through AMD OverDrive software. Additionally, the 9-series chipset line-up features up to six SATA 3.0 6Gbps hard drive interface ports, Gigabit Ethernet, HyperTransport 3.0 technology, and PCI Express Generation 2.0 for an extreme computing experience at work and play.

The 9-Series line of chipsets will be available from a variety of device manufacturers, including ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, ECS, Foxconn Technology GIGABYTE Technology, Jetway and MSI.

Windows Tablets get AMD Graphics Boost
By 2015, Gartner expects the tablet market to exceed $200 million and, as the market matures, AMD will continue to expand its APU options, providing powerful discrete-level graphics on die for tablet computers and other mobile form factors. In addition to its deep integration with operating systems like Windows, the AMD 2011 HD Tablet Platform offers support for HTML 5, Adobe Flash 10.2 and external monitors, enabling crisp graphics for gaming, streaming video and other entertainment that enhances the end-user's experience. It also offers enterprise-level security, allowing IT policy makers to offer the convenience of tablets to an increasingly mobile workforce.

VISION Technology from AMD
VISION Technology aligns closely to the evolving PC purchasing process by minimizing the use of technical jargon and specifications to help consumers choose the best PC for their needs. To ensure customer clarity on offerings when choosing the right PC, AMD has moved to a new numbered tier system. Notebooks and desktops powered by the latest AMD Fusion APUs align with the following experiences:
  • VISION A8 Series PCs will enable Brilliant HD Performance, for consumers who want extreme multi-tasking, online gaming and video editing.
  • VISION A6 Series PCs will enable Brilliant HD Entertainment, great for advanced multi-tasking, photo editing and HD video playback.
  • VISION A4 Series PCs will enable Brilliant HD Every day, perfect for Web browsing, basic multi-tasking and staying in touch with family and friends.
  • VISION E2 Series PCs will enable Smart HD with smooth 1080p HD video playback with the AMD Video Accelerator.
  • AMD HD Internet Series will enable vivid, on-the-go computing experiences on mobile devices like ultrathins and netbooks.
AMD also introduced a new identity for VISION to align with the new tiers. This new identity specifies graphics and core features of notebooks and desktops based on the AMD Fusion Family of APUs for consumers seeking more technical specifications.

At COMPUTEX on June 2, Manju Hegde, corporate vice president of AMD's Fusion Experience Program will present "Unleashing the Full Power of the PC - Software Development for AMD Fusion APUs." Get details on the 9-Series chipsets here.

9-Series Chipset Partner Quotes
  • "We're happy to provide an optimal solution that delivers the ultimate in visual entertainment and maximum performance with overclocking in a highly scalable system." - LL Shiu, COO, AsRock
  • "ASUS is excited to partner with AMD and be the first to launch the next generation 9-Series based motherboards, the M5A99/97 Series, while also introducing industry firsts DIGI+VRM and UEFI BIOS controls. Customers can look forward to the exciting new technologies that 9-Series brings while still enjoying full backward compatibility with AMD AM3 processors." - Joe Hsieh, Corporate Vice President, ASUS
  • "Our 9-Series chipset motherboards are designed to extract maximum AM3+ CPU performance without any waste." - Vincent Lin, Senior Product Manager, Biostar
  • "We are excited to provide Foxconn A97A users with the new, sensational 9-Series AMD platform." - Dennis Lin, Channel Service Division General Manager, Foxconn Technology Group
  • "We are very pleased and excited to provide such an impressive AMD platform. We'd like everyone to enjoy the colors of tech life with the ECS Black Extreme 9-Series motherboard, the next extreme gaming generation." - David Chien, Vice President of Channel Business Unit, ECS
  • "We are excited to offer our customers a range of motherboards to help them prepare for the next generation of AMD desktop technology. With our 9-Series
    motherboards, customers are ready for the future, while enjoying full backward compatibility with AMD AM3 processors." - Richard Chen, Vice President of Worldwide Sales and Marketing, GIGABYTE
  • "Jetway looks forward to offering customers unlocked native 8-core AMD desktop processor performance with motherboards based on the 9-Series chipset." - Allen Yang, President, Jetway
  • "MSI is excited about utilizing AMD's next generation AMD 9-Series chipsets and will, thanks to a broad chipset lineup, provide a total solution from entry-level to high-end products. MSI's AMD 9-Series mainboards offer exhilarating new levels of performance and brand new possibilities and will undoubtedly satisfy the needs of our customers." - Scott Yang, Vice President, MSI

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
anyone else worried how AMD keeps pushing eight core CPUs as "gaming CPUs". they did the same crap with their fraud Phenom II six core units which routinely had the same FPS as their four core alternatives and both where spanked by Intel's new SB dual core CPUs. I would like to upgrade to a new BD CPU in the future but not if AMD's sales pitch is "more cores for your money..." instead of "we have a CPU that can compete with Intel's SB core for core (or at least be in the same ballpark" :shadedshu

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Each of those 8 cores has 200% IPC improvement over Phenom II.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
anyone else worried how AMD keeps pushing eight core CPUs as "gaming CPUs".

No, they're going with a new design for their chips this time around so we should be seeing a good performance increase.

dirtyferret said:
they did the same crap with their fraud Phenom II six core units which routinely had the same FPS as their four core alternatives and both where spanked by Intel's new SB dual core CPUs.

The majority of games coming out still don't utilize multiple cores/threads, hence you see a small or even non exist performance difference in CPU's with different core counts. Now when software that does take advantage of multiple cores and threads it is true that Sandy Bridge and the Core i7 line does generally beat out AMD's line of chips, but it's because there architecture can push out more per cycle. But AMD's chips are more then sufficient for gaming and they generally hit the price for performance sweet spot, so there is nothing wrong with advertising their CPU's as gaming CPU's.

Processor AMD Phenom II 1055T @ 3.6ghz 1.3V
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO
Cooling Xigmatek SD1284
Memory 2x4GB Patriot Sector 5 PC3-12800 @ 7-8-7-24-1T 1.7V
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD @ 1100/1350 1.185V
Storage OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 2x7200.12 500GB Raid1
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 27" LCD 1440p @ 120hz
Case Cooler Master 690M
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 620W Eco Edition
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 / Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
anyone else worried how AMD keeps pushing eight core CPUs as "gaming CPUs". they did the same crap with their fraud Phenom II six core units which routinely had the same FPS as their four core alternatives
thats the game devs foult for not coding their games to support more than 4 cores

Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
No, they're going with a new design for their chips this time around so we should be seeing a good performance increase.

The majority of games coming out still don't utilize multiple cores/threads, hence you see a small or even non exist performance difference in CPU's with different core counts. Now when software that does take advantage of multiple cores and threads it is true that Sandy Bridge and the Core i7 line does generally beat out AMD's line of chips, but it's because there architecture can push out more per cycle. But AMD's chips are more then sufficient for gaming and they generally hit the price for performance sweet spot, so there is nothing wrong with advertising their CPU's as gaming CPU's.

I know and agree that AMD CPUs are sufficient for gaming but that doesn't mean I wouln't like a more competitive CPU to Intel offering.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Well it isn't any different than Intel's Mhz is better pushing that they used to do. Consumer will always be swayed with more is better. They don't know anything about what apps will or will not benefit from more cores/etc. In the future I can see more things taking advantage of 8+ cores but right now gaming is hindered by the consoles and those are triple cores with 7900/X1900 level graphics. Unless they take the time to code for more on PC, we'll still be getting games in the dual to quad core range.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
anyone else worried how AMD keeps pushing eight core CPUs as "gaming CPUs". they did the same crap with their fraud Phenom II six core units which routinely had the same FPS as their four core alternatives and both where spanked by Intel's new SB dual core CPUs. I would like to upgrade to a new BD CPU in the future but not if AMD's sales pitch is "more cores for your money..." instead of "we have a CPU that can compete with Intel's SB core for core (or at least be in the same ballpark" :shadedshu

It doesn't worry me because I didn't buy one. IMO AMD have been exagerating their CPU performance to their own detriment. I'm sure I'm not the only person who doesn't trust their claims.

Undead46

Processor i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz - 1.335VCore
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution (B3)
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 2133MHz 7-11-8-27-1N (F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6950 (Unlocked)
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD (OS & Games), 500GB WD Caviar Blue, 250GB WD Caviar Blue
Display(s) Dell 23" U2311H IPS Monitor
Case Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Professional - 64bit

This has been my thought ever since I heard about BD focusing on 8-core CPU's.

People think BD is supposed to surpass SB easily, but did they ever think why and how would AMD be able to produce a CPU that has more cores AND more performance at a similar or cheaper cost than Intel?

Doesn't make sense to me. :/

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

People think BD is supposed to surpass SB easily, but did they ever think why and how would AMD be able to produce a CPU that has more cores AND more performance at a similar or cheaper cost than Intel?

Cost doesn't reflect consumer price, competition does.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64

Which just goes to show you how most games are still pathetically designed for single (core/thread) along with most of the other software that is out there.

Development of native 64 bit programs and programs that take advantage of at least 4 (cores/threads) is utterly slow.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I know and agree that AMD CPUs are sufficient for gaming but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like a more competitive CPU to Intel offering.

Well it's David vs Goliath. Intel's R&D budget and manpower is probably greater than AMD's entire company. Having an 85% market share helps.

It amazes me that people think AMD should be able to beat Intel or be on par with them with 1/100 the income.

Could you build a better house on your budget vs Bill Gates budget?

And then people complain about competition. Well if no one helps out the little guy how is he ever supposed to get better?

Sigh.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Well it's David vs Goliath. Intel's R&D budget and manpower is probably greater than AMD's entire company. Having an 85% market share helps.

It amazes me that people think AMD should be able to beat Intel or be on par with them with 1/100 the income.

And then people complain about competition. Well if no one helps out the little guy how is he ever supposed to get better?

Sigh.

Actually yes you could.Define better !

Processor C2D E8400@3.9GHz (488x8, 1.4v :( )
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Cooling Thermaltake Sonic Tower+120mm fan
Memory 2GB kingmax ddr1066@976MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Radeon X1800GTO @700/1400MHz with Accelero S1+Glacialtech fancard
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793s... just you laugh...
Case some Aplus case
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Chieftec 450W
Software Win7 x64
System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Each of those 8 cores has 200% IPC improvement over Phenom II.

any links, articles, discussions please.

dilemma to pick up the 1090T sale on egg or wait few more months to really see if AMD has really worked hard.

Black Haru

Staff member
Which just goes to show you how most games are still pathetically designed for single (core/thread) along with most of the other software that is out there.

false. just false. it has been a long time since I have played a game that didn't take advantage of at least 4 threads. games like battlefield use all 8. I see plenty of market for more cores.

kciaccio

Processor QuadCore Intel Core i7-2600K, 4433 MHz (43 x 103)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68 DELUXE GEN 3
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 8 gigs DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video Card(s) POWER COLOR HD6870 EYEFINITY 6 EDITION 2GB
Storage KINGSTON HYPER X 120G SSD
Display(s) Quad set of Acer X193X's AND 2 Dell P2210 - 22"
Case Silverstone Raven 2 WHITE LIMITED EDITION
Power Supply NZXT HALE 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Intel is to apple like AMD is to PC. Might be a little better but at twice the price.

Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours

Sigh.

no one asks or expects AMD to be equal with Intel but being in the same ballpark is not too much to ask. What no one wants is AMD to release six-eight core CPUs and then state "look how well it does on synthetic benchmarks" meanwhile Intel dual core CPUs are running past them with ease in every game benchmark. Is a good quad core CPU from AMD that can compete with Intel SB i5 quads (i5-2300 -2400) in real world benchmarks too much to ask? I would think even Intel fan boys would like to see that since competition brings down prices.

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
It's not AMD or Intel's fault that we are still mostly using games that are designed for single or dual core CPUs.
It's the gamedevs who don't want to go back and re-learn how to program in order to utilize more than 2 cores.
And the game Publishers who insist on making games Xb0x360 compatible, then porting to PC.
Until Xbox dies(or is refreshed to 64-bit, quad-plus core), we're stuck with 32 bit, dx9, dual core, buggy console ports.

Also the AMD quad and hexa cores do okay in the few games that actually use quad-plus cores. But the Intel quad and hexa cores do out perform them.

And, some people do expect AMD to deliver a competitive product. Sadly, they are still living in the Athlon glory days.

It would be nice if they could leverage something to get back on even footing, but it seems like they are stuck 1 generation behind Intel at this point.
I expect Bulldozer to be roughly original i7 series in terms of performance, just like the Phenom line was like the Core2 series.

If they can do better, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
I am the only lucky guy who doesn't use the CPU for gaming purposes?

so my options broadens a lot. More cores are better for my purposes. hopefully with the A8, six core intels will be more affordable. Maybe, I will even have a hard time deciding which one to get. One is already available but has a non-serious GPU inside. C'mon on.... no matter what, its not a serious GPU. The A8 is a complete mystery but we can expect better integrated GPU. Nice for some gaming when you are bored on sundays. But I expect more of it on the open GL optimization for video effects and rendering. Oh and it has to be affordable. I won't be buying a video card, to the contrary, I will be selling mine. But I wouldn't go for A8 APU if that thing costs more than 300$... no way.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
And, some people do expect AMD to deliver a competitive product. Sadly, they are still living in the Athlon glory days.

It would be nice if they could leverage something to get back on even footing, but it seems like they are stuck 1 generation behind Intel at this point.
I expect Bulldozer to be roughly original i7 series in terms of performance, just like the Phenom line was like the Core2 series.

If they can do better, then I will be pleasantly surprised.

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this Sir.

The last time AMD released a completely new architecture was the glory days of the Athlon.

If they can do as well as they have by using the same basic architecture since then, I think that they will be able to pull off something really special with a completely new one.

Of course, that is just my opinion, and I could very well be wrong. Hopefully the wait to find out won't be too long.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home

Actually it does when you consider you are buying the Intel name. I don't buy into it but they have created this perception of brand name that I guess people buy. Course I grew up with RISC Macs and I never saw Intel as a prestige title. Then when I switched to PC building, I didn't like the premium that came with Intel, so I bought AMD instead.

I really doubt their CPUs are that much more costly than AMD when it all comes down to it at the manufacturing level.

System Name Blue Monolith (working on name)
Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T... on H2O
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
Cooling EK-Supreme with 2 radiators for the moment ~ 22 celsius
Memory Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 KHX1600C8D3K2
Video Card(s) hd 6870 Sapphire 1GB
Storage 8x 500GB Seagate Barracuda on LSI controller
Display(s) Samsung 206BW
Case Aplus Black Pearl WCR with water cooling mounts :)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Power Supply Gigabyte ODIN GT-800 (that with software)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores WORKING IN PROGRESS P10464 in VANTAGE(this is the old score)
hello to all

the problem is software.... even if you have a server bord with 4 cpu (16 or more core) the software will not give you an increase of performance that will be at least egual with the number of core

like many I go from x4 to x6 but for the number of cores. more core in this day dont give you a UBER performance... it only give you the real possibility of multitasking, the possibility to run more programs with same performance in one system

the big number of core will give you a bust in any software that need multi processing power or parallel processing. for that the software must be optimized

there are also can be say same words about the design of the core (one core) in phenom II /Phenom 1 and the Bulldozer core, same performance will come from the design

so from were the cpu give as the performance/power .... let see:

- the design of the core....(and of the cpu)
- the power rise from the number of core
- the power rise from the speed of the cpu (of the cores)
- and not in last place the power rise from interconnectivity of the cpu to the system (at this point enter also the memory, the chipset(s),)

Best regards