• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can PCI 2.2 be used in PCI Express slot?

neutranium7

I just purchased a pinacle studio movieboard PCI; However it has 2 small sections at each end and a larger pin area in the middle. I have a D975XBX2 motherboard with 3 PCI-E 2 PCI and 1 PCI 1. from looking at the configuration of the pinacle card pins and the PCI bus, I feel their is no compatibility. Before I return it, I would like to know if I have any alternatives. Like will it work in Epress or is their a way of adding on a PCI 2.2. My goal of course is capturing video and editing.

Thanks
Gerry newbie

aximbigfan

System Name QUAD1
Processor Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T SE
Cooling XIGMATEK HDT-S963
Memory OCZ 3 X 1GB Triple Channel
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon HD4670 IceQ
Storage Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA
Display(s) Acer AL1916W 19" Widescreen LCD
Case CM Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 520 Watt
Software Windows XP Pro
no.
pcie card will only work in pcie slots
pci cards will only work in pci slots

chris

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
It is most certainly compatible with one of the slots on your PC. Should fit in one of the white slots if its PCI

SpoonMuffin

Processor x2 4000+@2.96gz, thermalright ultra90 with 90mm panaflow ultra speed
Motherboard biostar tforce 550
Cooling Thermalright ultra90,90mm panaflow ultra speed fan
Memory Transend AxeRam ddr2 800@986mhz 5-5-5-15 2t TrFc 75ns
Video Card(s) x1900xtx+zalman vf900cu cooler
Storage 80+160+200+250gb
Display(s) 20.1in gaming lcd 1600x1200@120hz(dvi-d)
Case cg-briza (thx again to ashen)
Audio Device(s) realtek 8ch hd audio latist drivers
Power Supply 400watt fsp 12cm fan psu
Software windows 2003 sp2(custom build),nod32,opera9,tcmp,vlc,udrfrag,perfect disk,utorrent
the extra slots are for use in pci-x slots, the |||| |||||||||||||| |||| layout lets the card work in a pci-x slot that provides higher clocks and voltege then normal pci slots, these are only found in server or veryhigh end workstation boards such as those made by tyan, but the card is a pci card just with the ability to work in a pci-x slot(64bit pci)

the extra slots are for use in pci-x slots, the |||| |||||||||||||| |||| layout lets the card work in a pci-x slot that provides higher clocks and voltege then normal pci slots, these are only found in server or veryhigh end workstation boards such as those made by tyan, but the card is a pci card just with the ability to work in a pci-x slot(64bit pci)

Actually the keys are for voltage, the layout you're showing supports both 3.3V and 5V. PCI-X has another small piece next to that. The key closest to the back of the case means the card can run at 3.3v, the second means it can run at 5v. Many cards can run both and hence have the layout shown by you.

PCI 3.3V
|||| |||||||||||||||||||
PCI 5V
||||||||||||||||||| ||||
PCI 3.3V & 5V
|||| |||||||||||||| ||||
PCI-X (3.3V & 5V)
|||| |||||||||||||| |||| ||||||

That Pinnacle card should be standard PCI, also it's not "for use in PCI-X slots" it's not like they're normal cards which have extra PCI-X functionality or anything, it's the other way around. PCI-X cards are backwards compatible with PCI if you're lucky. Not all PCI-X cards will work in PCI slots. Plus it's not limited to very high end stuff, crap workstation boards have it too, even some desktop boards, those are often limited to 66MHz though. It all depends on the chipset.

neutranium7

The slot size for the Pinnacle is the same size as my Kworld T.v tuner card, only difference is Pinnacle has IIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIII the T.v. Tuner Has
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIII. Do I understand you folks correctly that both can successfully be used on my mobo?

The 2 keys mean it can work with both 3.3 and 5, a single one means it only works with the specified voltage. If it fits physically it will work.

neutranium7

Thanks to everone for your professional,candid responses, especially for taking the time out of your busy sheldules to increase my understanding of the PCI process. I can see this is a great forum and I hope to be on often if for no other reason then to read and learn, although I do hope to contribute when I can.

Thanks again
Gerry

Thanks to everone for your professional,candid responses, especially for taking the time out of your busy sheldules to increase my understanding of the PCI process. I can see this is a great forum and I hope to be on often if for no other reason then to read and learn, although I do hope to contribute when I can.

Thanks again
Gerry

Where should we send the bill to?:)