• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rate my build! (suggestions and advice needed)

exodia8080

i'm planning to build my my first real gaming rig and i'm just a typical gamer but i want my games to be all maxed out when i play (hehe) so i want you guys to rate if this, build is ok

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
MoBo: Asus P8P67 Pro
GPU: GTX 580 (MSI Lightning or Asus Matrix?)
RAM: 4gbx2 G.Skill Sniper 1600 CL9 1.25v or Ripjaws?
SSD: (need suggestions)
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
PSU: Corsair HX650 or GS700 or TX750v2?
Casing: CM Storm Enforcer
Cooler: Cooler Master V8

i'm torn between those psus, i kinda don't know how they differ, but is it better to get the modular one or the non-mod?
and also about the other parts, if you could suggest others, please do so.

Thanks in advance!:D

**edit: my budget's around $2k so i hope that above won't reach it, :p

Last edited:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Power supply: Modular if you got a case window but it will cost more. I can think of a few alternative but the TX750V2 would work out well.

HDD: Switch that out to a Samsung F3 1TB.

As far as SSD goes, link here to a few that you like. Will give us a budget & capacity resource to go by.

exodia8080

Power supply: Modular if you got a case window but it will cost more. I can think of a few alternative but the TX750V2 would work out well.

HDD: Switch that out to a Samsung F3 1TB.

As far as SSD goes, link here to a few that you like. Will give us a budget & capacity resource to go by.

case window? could you enlighten me regarding that matter, it's the first time i heard :laugh:

so samsung's better? got it.

SSD, my cousin told me something about corsair forte and ocz vertex. is 256gb enough for the os and some games? i don't keep the games that much long.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
I have a corsair HX650 and it should be plenty for that setup. If you were to get a 2nd 580, you might need a little more power. Mine powered a i7 920 and HD69502GB and the power usage never exceeded 400W.

Anyway, it is modular and stays fairly quiet, but may get it's fan going at full gaming load.

exodia8080

Something with a window:
COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plast...

Something without:
Antec Three Hundred + BP430 Black Steel ATX Mid To...

~250GB for me, no. For you maybe, I think you will want to look into an ssd with a sandforce 2000 controller to help with performance.

Yes, IMHO, the Samsung would be a bit better.

ok thanks, so that's a casw window! hahaha, but tx series are non-mod right? so i will use the window for routing the cables? (still studying cable management 101 :banghead:)

but i do think 256 is enough, intel 510 sdds, which of those brands are better? or best?

exodia8080

I have a corsair HX650 and it should be plenty for that setup. If you were to get a 2nd 580, you might need a little more power. Mine powered a i7 920 and HD69502GB and the power usage never exceeded 400W.

Anyway, it is modular and stays fairly quiet, but may get it's fan going at full gaming load.

hx650 is a modular one right? i dont think i'll go for 2 580s, but bow that you mention it if i'd be going sli, is gtx 560 ti sli better than a 580?

Grim Tuesday

CL stands for Cas Latency, which is one of two measurments for RAM speed.

The first is the clock speed, given in mhz.

The one you are asking about, the latency, is is the delay time between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular memory column on a RAM memory module, and the moment the data from given array location is available on the module's output pin (wikipedia). Essentially, the lower the better. It is also known as the timings.

exodia8080

oooh, i see. Thanks! i've also seen some threads a while ago, and this article or some sorta review (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/) and it said that 1600-1866 cl8 are the best both for value and performance, so i think i'd go with it.

***i cant post another reply, the boards say something about the moderators need yo approve it first! fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Last edited:
System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software Win 10 64-bit
hx650 is a modular one right? i dont think i'll go for 2 580s, but bow that you mention it if i'd be going sli, is gtx 560 ti sli better than a 580?

I don't know if it's better, but I am a fan of multi gpu setups. Just for the cool factor. I have done crossfire but not SLI. Worked fine for me.

Also, you could get one 560ti now and see if it is enough for you. Then get one later if necessary. Definitely saves you some money up front and on power usage.

As far as PSUs go, I think no one needs more that 800W unless they are doing 3 or more GPUs. And modular is the way to go if you can afford it.

System Name Little Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Supertalent 4GB (2*2GB) 8-8-8-24 @1600MHz
Video Card(s) X.F.X. AMD Radeon HD 5750 (@845/1375 MHz)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 633NW 15"
Case Thermaltake WingRS 301
Audio Device(s) Integrated in Mobo
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430 Watts
Software Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bits
GPU: GTX 580 (MSI Lightning or Asus Matrix?)
I recommend to use GTX 570, is classified as the best performer card over $300 (here) and have honrable mention because of it's single performance (here)
SSD: (need suggestions)
Some of the best companies are Intel, Crucial, Corsair & OCZ (the most speed ones).
PSU: Corsair HX650 or GS700 or TX750v2?
This should be good PSUs if you plan to only keep 1 graphics cards, but without room for another. and modular is pretty usefull if you want to max out the ventilation inside the case. For the SLIed GTX 570 i personally recommend at least 850Watt.
About the case just met the NZXT Phatom and i can tell you, that case offers a lot of features and excelent ventilation on a reasonable price.

This PC is pretty much for work too, my syster use a similar build to process in Adobe CS5, so the virtual cores and the support for the GTX 570 are gonna help you a lot if you work too on this rig.

Grand Total $1,576.33

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software Win 10 64-bit
regarding memories, what does those CL# do? (CL9, 8, 7,...)

Not an expert, but basically those are built in latencies so that the ram can achieve higher speed. Lower latency is better (7 better than 9).

Speed is most important and low latency will help if you are going to overclock the ram.

For your build, I would just get the cheapest 1600 ram you can find. High speed or overclocked ram seem make little difference on the sandy bridge platform.

That is my novice view. :)

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs are amoung the fastest SSDs out there, but I've seen a lot of corroborating evidence that suggests that their failure rates are pretty high too. Maybe someone else can chime in on this too, but I'm in the market for an SSD too, and am choosing to avoid them.

Looking at the picture above I notice a few things. First of all there's a 2600K in there. It's not worth the extra $100 over the 2500 especially for gaming.

Secondly the Samsung SSD is SATA II. It's faster than an HDD, but if you've got the money to spend you say you do it only makes sense to go SATA III

Next the PSU. You're overpaying in a few ways. First of all Amazon has the gold series of that model (Corsair AX850) for $169.99. Newegg has it for 189.99, but if you buy it before Monday (PST) and enter "CSAVE10" as a coupon you'll get 10% off making it almost the same price as Amazon (and cheaper than the refurbished silver version). BUT in addition to that you're missing out on a combo deal. Go to the page for the Corsair AX 850, then scroll down to the bottom where it says "Buy together and save" and then click on "browse more combos". This takes you to the section where you can select from preset groups of items to save more money. Buying the AX850 + the memory you have listed (also the exact same version of that memory in red is $5 cheaper) will save you an additional $15, oh and to top it off the AX850 has a $20 mail in rebate.

To sum up: regardless of what you're going to do with the rest of your system your memory and PSU are fine. You should really buy the PSU with the coupon (-$19) the $20 MIR, because those are going to expire in a few hours. The combo deal will still be around though.

Also I'm pretty sure you can do the same combo deal trick with the 2500K and a DVD RW (they're all basically the same) and save another $15.

edit: I just noticed that the person who put up that pic and the op are two different people. Basically everything I said about the PSU still stands, but 850 is overkill unless you're going to put 3 graphics cards in there. All the combo deals and everything will apply to the AX 750, which I still suggest buying right away with the RAM. You're not going to beat that price.

Last edited:
System Name Little Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Supertalent 4GB (2*2GB) 8-8-8-24 @1600MHz
Video Card(s) X.F.X. AMD Radeon HD 5750 (@845/1375 MHz)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 633NW 15"
Case Thermaltake WingRS 301
Audio Device(s) Integrated in Mobo
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430 Watts
Software Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bits
Taking the recommendations of Hotobu, and changing the specs of the PC a little bit i think this is a better value PC.
1. Crucial SSDs have the third best failure rate, behind Corsair and Intel, but due to the bugs of Intel on 300 series SSDs y picked the Crucial one, i have to clear this particular model does not uses SandForce controller, it uses marvell but even then, works at read speed of 355MB/s using SATA III interface :)
2. I couldn't find the AX combo deal =/ but i found the HX combo deal, and saved a few bucks. I still insist in the 850Watt Power Supply cause of the hungry SLIed GTXs 570. :p
3. Motherboard changed by an Asus considering you wanted an Asus mobo in the begining, and as far i used mobos (AsRock, and Asus) Asus are just more understanding in the AI twaker.
4. I used a Corsair H60 then you can overclock the CPU and squeeze performance out of it.
5. Included 200mm fan for exaust or intake in the superior part of the case, and 2*120mm fans, one for intake at the SSD and the HDD plus another for push/pull config in the H60 and they are blue like the LED on the supperior part of the case :D xD

Grand Total: $1,567.02

Last edited:

exodia8080

CL stands for Cas Latency, which is one of two measurments for RAM speed.

The first is the clock speed, given in mhz.

The one you are asking about, the latency, is is the delay time between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular memory column on a RAM memory module, and the moment the data from given array location is available on the module's output pin (wikipedia). Essentially, the lower the better. It is also known as the timings.

oooh, i see. Thanks! i've also seen some threads a while ago, and this article or some sorta review (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/) and it said that 1600-1866 cl8 are the best both for value and performance, so i think i'd go with it.

I don't know if it's better, but I am a fan of multi gpu setups. Just for the cool factor. I have done crossfire but not SLI. Worked fine for me.

Also, you could get one 560ti now and see if it is enough for you. Then get one later if necessary. Definitely saves you some money up front and on power usage.

As far as PSUs go, I think no one needs more that 800W unless they are doing 3 or more GPUs. And modular is the way to go if you can afford it.

800w, if i plan to go 580 or 570, could it handle SLIed of those?

I recommend to use GTX 570, is classified as the best performer card over $300 (here) and have honrable mention because of it's single performance (here)
Some of the best companies are Intel, Crucial, Corsair & OCZ (the most speed ones).
This should be good PSUs if you plan to only keep 1 graphics cards, but without room for another. and modular is pretty usefull if you want to max out the ventilation inside the case. For the SLIed GTX 570 i personally recommend at least 850Watt.
About the case just met the NZXT Phatom and i can tell you, that case offers a lot of features and excelent ventilation on a reasonable price.

This PC is pretty much for work too, my syster use a similar build to process in Adobe CS5, so the virtual cores and the support for the GTX 570 are gonna help you a lot if you work too on this rig.
http://img.techpowerup.org/110717/Xtreme Gaming PC.jpg
Grand Total $1,576.33

so, 570 huh? i'll keep that in mind. i think if i remember it right, nzxts are full towers right? i don't i could place one that big with my crappy-cramped room, so i was hoping for mid-towers. any suggestions?

Not an expert, but basically those are built in latencies so that the ram can achieve higher speed. Lower latency is better (7 better than 9).

Speed is most important and low latency will help if you are going to overclock the ram.

For your build, I would just get the cheapest 1600 ram you can find. High speed or overclocked ram seem make little difference on the sandy bridge platform.

That is my novice view. :)

i agree, i think i'll go with 1600 cl8 ripjaws or is the sniper 1600 cl9 just right?

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Cooling Noctua D15
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
You're still doing it wrong. First off the NXZT Phantom case comes with all of the fans it needs. There's no reason to buy more unless the op just wants to put in LEDs.

Next on the PSU he doesn't need 850W if he's only going to run 1 (or even 2) 570s

The Combo deal with the Corsair AX750 and the memory is there. I just checked.

If he's going to get a 2500K he can also get a combo deal with that and a DVD burner.

On the SATA drive this one is relatively the same price and it's much faster.

As for mid tower vs. full tower that line is kinda blurry these days. It's best to take measurements and see what you're willing to put up with, but as for a great mid tower case the Coolermaster 690 II is great. I'd take it over the Phantom actually.

exodia8080

You're still doing it wrong. First off the NXZT Phantom case comes with all of the fans it needs. There's no reason to buy more unless the op just wants to put in LEDs.

Next on the PSU he doesn't need 850W if he's only going to run 1 (or even 2) 570s

The Combo deal with the Corsair AX750 and the memory is there. I just checked.

If he's going to get a 2500K he can also get a combo deal with that and a DVD burner.

On the SATA drive this one is relatively the same price and it's much faster.

As for mid tower vs. full tower that line is kinda blurry these days. It's best to take measurements and see what you're willing to put up with, but as for a great mid tower case the Coolermaster 690 II is great. I'd take it over the Phantom actually.

ok ok. now i got confused, how much power do i need for at most, 2 570s? 750? 800? so i'll go for ax750?

setting those combos and deals aside, i just want to have a clear list of may rig parts xP

*cm690ii, hmmm. it was love at first sight when i saw the enforcer though, hehehehe:p

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Cooling Noctua D15
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Get the enforcer then, you just said you wanted suggestions. As for 2 570s 750 is fine.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10

exodia8080

Get the enforcer then, you just said you wanted suggestions. As for 2 570s 750 is fine.

thanks btw. your inputs helped me a lot sir!
2 570s and 750, got it!

out rig are almost identical! maybe the brand preference differs a bit but, i'm pretty sure our rig will definitely rock! XP

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
out rig are almost identical! maybe the brand preference differs a bit but, i'm pretty sure our rig will definitely rock! XP

Close. Very close. I am still looking for THE case. Not sure if eyefinity is for you or this rig would totally be null and void, I can think of many different configurations for displays and video cards.

EDIT:
Antec 1200
Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower...

HAF 932
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black St...

Looking around for the Corsair 700D

Amazon: Used
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AM8QH4/?tag=tec06d-20

These are the ones I found that can do a 120.3 triple rad out of the box without modification. Well minus the Corsair 800D. Then there is of course, sticking with your original Storm Enforcer and picking up good high end air.

Last edited:

exodia8080

Close. Very close. I am still looking for THE case. Not sure if eyefinity is for you or this rig would totally be null and void, I can think of many different configurations for displays and video cards.

EDIT:
Antec 1200
Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower...

HAF 932
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black St...

Looking around for the Corsair 700D

Amazon: Used
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003AM8QH4/?tag=tec06d-20

These are the ones I found that can do a 120.3 triple rad out of the box without modification. Well minus the Corsair 800D. Then there is of course, sticking with your original Storm Enforcer and picking up good high end air.

full towers, well. i don't think there's a place for my room i go for a full one, they are so damn huge. but triple rads is quite impossible for me, the most i think for me would be SLIed 580s but for now i plan to go for single 570. then later a year or so, if future games need it, i'll go SLI. that's my plan for now.

i have a question about the cpu cooler, i've heard negative comments regarding CM's V8. could you suggest others aside from the Corsair H60?

regarding the PSU, i love the Corsair GSeries because of their leds, lol, but they are nonmodular right? will they still be good? or the modular ones are a must?

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
IMHO, the V8 is overpriced. I own one and I can tell you the CM 212+ is just as good while being a touch cheaper. I like the H series to an extent, the extent being more moving parts: more likely to fail.
I am saying go non modular if you can, typically can get an additional 100-150W for the same price and not worry about efficiency between the connections of the power supply to the cable on the casing.
Link to the Corsair G Series please.

If full towers are out of reach then, yes stick with proper high end air cooling, it would require less maintenance and could potentially cool just as good as a midrange watercooling kit.

Oh wanted to add, only go multi gpu configurations if you HAVE to or want image spanning multiple displays(IE Eyefinity- most optimal with 2 cards HD6870 or 5850 and above/nVidia Surround- requires sli optimal of GTX460 1GB & above). Have to meaning, let's say you don't quite have the budget to get XX card but you already have YY card, another YY card costs half as much as XX card, get a matching YY card.

Last edited:

exodia8080

IMHO, the V8 is overpriced. I own one and I can tell you the CM 212+ is just as good while being a touch cheaper. I like the H series to an extent, the extent being more moving parts: more likely to fail.
I am saying go non modular if you can, typically can get an additional 100-150W for the same price and not worry about efficiency between the connections of the power supply to the cable on the casing.
Link to the Corsair G Series please.

If full towers are out of reach then, yes stick with proper high end air cooling, it would require less maintenance and could potentially cool just as good as a midrange watercooling kit.

Oh wanted to add, only go multi gpu configurations if you HAVE to or want image spanning multiple displays(IE Eyefinity- most optimal with 2 cards HD6870 or 5850 and above/nVidia Surround- requires sli optimal of GTX460 1GB & above). Have to meaning, let's say you don't quite have the budget to get XX card but you already have YY card, another YY card costs half as much as XX card, get a matching YY card.

here. corsair gseries: http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/non-modular-psus/gaming-series-1.html

ok ok, so i think i'll go with gs700. SLIs aren't that worth for just gaming? did i get it right? 1 is almost enough? hmm. i'm not after multiscreens though, i just thought that going double means double gaming performance, too.

cooler master 212 huh, that would save me a bunch. how about the v6? i also like how it looks:p i had second thoughts on the h60 because it costs almost 4x the 212+, and 2x the v6/v8.