• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DroidX HD .3GP video... what Trusted Codec?

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
See title... have videos in .3GP format 720p from a Droid X ...

Looking to view and edit. Willing to pay for a good editing/conversion package (on the cheap).

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I use Oxelon to convert the movies to avi's then use the standard editting programs from there. Oxelon is free, it will do resizing. It is great if you just want to convert the files to avi and maybe resize it.

If you want basic editting Microsoft Live Movie Maker is decent enough, also free.

Movie Maker will actually open up the 3gp files natively, but if you are just going to be converting the movies Oxelon is faster. You can just use Movie Maker to export the movie in avi format also if you are doing editting on it.

Edit: Just notices you were on XP, so 3gp probably isn't natively supported. So, just use Oxelon to convert it to an avi, that should let you view and edit it in whatever you normally use. You will have to tell it to use the Xvid codec or one of the other more standard codecs(possible mpeg1) in the conversion or the older version of Movie Maker that works with XP might not work with the file. I'm not quite sure what codecs the XP version of Movie Maker supports.

Edit2: I did some testing with the Movie Maker that works with XP, and it doesn't natively support many formats. However, if you have the Xvid codec installed already, it will work with Xvid movies. So you can convert the videos using Oxelon to Xvid and they will work provided you have the xvid codec install on your system. Otherwise you can use the Mpeg1 option and it will natively work with XP and Movie Maker since XP comes with an Mpeg decoder.

Last edited:
System Name Senile
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10
I use Oxelon to convert the movies to avi's then use the standard editting programs from there. Oxelon is free, it will do resizing. It is great if you just want to convert the files to avi and maybe resize it.

If you want basic editting Microsoft Live Movie Maker is decent enough, also free.

Movie Maker will actually open up the 3gp files natively, but if you are just going to be converting the movies Oxelon is faster. You can just use Movie Maker to export the movie in avi format also if you are doing editting on it.

Edit: Just notices you were on XP, so 3gp probably isn't natively supported. So, just use Oxelon to convert it to an avi, that should let you view and edit it in whatever you normally use. You will have to tell it to use the Xvid codec or one of the other more standard codecs(possible mpeg1) in the conversion or the older version of Movie Maker that works with XP might not work with the file. I'm not quite sure what codecs the XP version of Movie Maker supports.

Edit2: I did some testing with the Movie Maker that works with XP, and it doesn't natively support many formats. However, if you have the Xvid codec installed already, it will work with Xvid movies. So you can convert the videos using Oxelon to Xvid and they will work provided you have the xvid codec install on your system. Otherwise you can use the Mpeg1 option and it will natively work with XP and Movie Maker since XP comes with an Mpeg decoder.

Tried Oxelon, and aside from the watermark, the resulting .AVI video quality was terrible, even though the original format setting was on for the output.

Ironically, Youtube's conversion gave a better result than Oxelon. I only wanted to preview the vids before uploading.

I may just drop $30 or so on a commercial editing application - seems there are a few out there in that range that are decent.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Watermark? Oxelon doesn't add a watermark.

And as for the quality, make sure you adjust the bitrate, otherwise the quality will be shit. It defaults to an insanely low bitrate by default for some reason.

System Name Senile
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10