• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

It done borked, but what and why?

streetfighter 2

So last night I turned off my computer, and early this morning I turned it on. Amazing right? ;)

Well, I didn't think so either, except the computer didn't turn on correctly. Everything turned on, the monitor switched on, the mobo's LED_OK lights turned on, but the only thing that appeared on the screen was the bottom 1/16th of the screen would flash on for about 0.3 seconds every 3-5 seconds (years of gaming and video encoding have made my ability to judge tiny intervals of time exceptional :D). I could tell that the computer was operating correctly because when I pressed F1 the intermittent portion of the screen turned blue (god bless the BIOS for using blue instead of black like POST does).

Since I am a professional I wasn't particularly upset about the whole affair, and I got busy trying to fix it. So here's how it went down . . .
1) Seeing as how it was a display related problem I swapped the graphics card out with one that I know works. [Result: No change]
2) I moved the graphics card to the second PCI-E slot. [Result: No change]
3) I removed the graphics card and used onboard. [Result: No change]
4) I reset the CMOS. [Result: No change]
5) I pulled the battery and replaced it. [Result: No change]
6) I removed the memory and replaced it with a working stick from another system. [Result: No change]
7) I replaced the power supply with one that I know is working. [Result: No change]
8) I tested the monitor with a backup computer that hooked up to the monitors VGA port. [Confirmed: Monitor works (or does it? :wtf:)]
9) I got a cup of coffee. [Result: No change, but I'm happier]
10) I replaced the computer with my backup workstation, which is a 2600K system and a huge step up from my actual workstation :laugh:. Here's where it gets silly though . . .

So when I connected my backup workstation and switched it on I got the exact same problem (bottom 1/16th flicker at 3-5 second intervals). That's when I breathed a sigh of relief because, quite frankly, a broken monitor is faster to replace than a broken mobo (but not cheaper), and time is money right now.

Realizing that the HDMI port on the monitor was broken I tried to switch off my backup workstation so I could swap it for my primary workstation, but just as I pushed power the monitor suddenly started working.

So why am I posting my saga? Several reasons. Firstly it's pretty funny and secondly, because I need something to do while I'm drinking my coffee. ;) :laugh:

Thanks for reading! :toast:

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
So why am I posting my saga? Several reasons. Firstly it's pretty funny and secondly, because I need something to do while I'm drinking my coffee. ;) :laugh:

Thanks for reading! :toast:

maybe when you pushed the power button you moved the monitor slightly?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I'm just amused that you didn't check the cables first. Always start there. :p

(i've done the same thing as you several times and I always feel silly about it afterwards)

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit

streetfighter 2

UPDATE: So now that the monitor is working again I reassembled my computer and booted it up. I did my best to reconfigure the BIOS but I had it highly customized and I forgot a lot of the settings. The computer wouldn't boot into Windows normally so I booted into safe mode instead. I had to disable PhenomMsrTweaker because it was causing a crash whenever it loaded. Alas the computer is running, about 80% of what it was, but it's good enough for me. It's good to be back! :rockout:

I'm just amused that you didn't check the cables first. Always start there. :p

(i've done the same thing as you several times and I always feel silly about it afterwards)
Yeah, that was really my feeling on the whole thing. I cannibalized my workstation (by replacing just about every component in it) only to realize that it was just the monitor. I think I'm going to downgrade myself from professional to amateur, at least till the end of the day :laugh:.
maybe when you pushed the power button you moved the monitor slightly?
Negative. It's a good suggestion though.

Last edited: