• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

This is your brain on toxoplasmosis

T

twilyth

Well, toxoplasma gondii. Toxoplasmosis is the disease it causes. It infects and estimated third of the world's population but is generally considered harmless. I suppose that would be "harmless" in the same sense as asbestos was once regarded as harmless.

This is an incredibly devious protozoan if I might be permitted to anthropomorphize for a moment. It can only reproduce in cats so it's primary objective is to infect an animal that will be eaten by cats. The preferred vector seems to be mice. Once it infects a mouse, it dulls the animal's sense of fear and actually causes it to have an affinity for cat urine - thus making it even more likely that it will be caught and eaten.

However there is some evidence that it also has similar effects in people.

article

Humans can become infected with T.gondii, either through contact with soil contaminated by cat faeces, or by eating infected meat. These infections are extremely common, and up a third of the world may carry the parasite. However, rates of infection vary greatly from country to country, from just 7 percent in the UK and 11 percent in the USA, to around 67 percent in Brazil.

In the first few weeks of an infection, the parasite causes mild flu-like symptoms, if any. Afterwards, it creates cysts within the blood cells and neurons of its host, and it can persist that way for an entire lifetime without any obvious ill effects. It only causes serious problems for people with weakened immune systems, who can become seriously ill.

But T.gondii can have subtler effects on its hosts. The parasite clearly changes the behaviour of mice and rats, fatally drawing them to the scent of cats. This increases the odds that the parasite will end up in a cat, the only animal in which they can mature and reproduce. There’s some evidence that it does similar mind-bending tricks in humans. All of these associations are disputed, but previous studies have linked the parasite to: subtle personality changes; mental illnesses like schizophrenia, anxiety and bipolar disorder; a higher risk of traffic accidents; and even global differences in human culture. Now, brain cancer joins this controversial list.

edit: the article mainly focuses on it's link to brain cancer, but since there was a great article in SciAm Mind that focused on the behavioral aspects (potentially) and since I can't post links to that article, I decided to quote this one for that purpose. :toast:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
My wife is pregnant and the first thing they told her is to never change the litterbox. So now I'm responsible for it. Troll baby!!!!!!!

The behavior of that parasite is rather <intelligent>. That's kinda scary ....
Scientists find more and more things that can cause cancer. It's become a real nightmare since they found in early 1900s that cancer is caused by oncovirus. I don't like to quote wiki but ...

Worldwide, the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer estimated that in 2002 17.8% of human cancers were caused by infection, with 11.9% being caused by one of seven different viruses.

T

twilyth

I know the human papilloma virus was a big/primary cause of ovarian/cervical (???) cancer. I wonder if that was a significant chunk of that total. If so, widespread use of the HPV vaccine might make those numbers a little better.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Good zombie potential here. Just sayin'.

streetfighter 2

Anyone else think of this?

Also, this is just one of the many reasons I hate cats.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the human papilloma virus was a big/primary cause of ovarian/cervical (???) cancer. I wonder if that was a significant chunk of that total. If so, widespread use of the HPV vaccine might make those numbers a little better.

Yes that's correct hpv can cause cancer. I even remember there was news how oral sex causes cancer lol.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...02_1_oral-cancer-hpv-vaccines-cervical-cancer

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1619814,00.html

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
No wonder my cat is always trying to eat me.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Fuckin Cats and their shit...

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit