• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mozilla wants to ditch Firefox version numbers!

Ditching Firefox version numbers is a bad idea (public poll)

• Total voters

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Mozilla has created a stir in the Firefox community by suggesting that the version number ought to be eliminated. The version number currently shown in Firefox’s "About" dialog has been filed as a bug. Instead of a version number Mozilla simply wants the box to read something like "Firefox checked for updates 20 minutes ago, you are running the latest version." Mozilla believes that eliminating the version number will reduce user confusion.

As is witnessed by an increasingly hostile thread in the mozilla.dev.usability group, pretty much everyone outside Mozilla seems to think eliminating the version number is a bad idea. After all, even Google Chrome, the browser from which Firefox has borrowed much of its new look and its new rapid release cycle, still offers a version number.

So why does Mozilla want to ditch the version number? In the words of Asa Dotzler, director of Firefox, "we’re moving to a more web-like convention where it’s simply not important what version you’re using as long as it’s the latest version. We have a goal to make version numbers irrelevant to our consumer audience."

We have a news flash for Mozilla: version numbers have always been irrelevant to your consumer audience. They have, however, always been very relevant to your developer audience. And version numbers are, whether it’s Windows, OS X or Linux, found in the About dialog. As Barry Able writes at one point in the now very lengthy thread, "I’d like to paraphrase the country song and ask, ‘What part of ‘about’ don’t you understand?’ This box is named ‘About’ because it provides information ‘about’ the application."

Developer Dave Garrett responded to Dotzler writing, "I don’t claim that showing the version number is the most important thing in the world, just that the about dialog is where it belongs and trying to change that feels to some of us like a fight…that doesn’t need to be."

Indeed removing the version number from the About dialog isn’t the point, but that small change is part of a larger goal — burying the version number so that Firefox users never know which version they’re using — and that goal is angering many Firefox users. The versionless software model works well for web apps — like Gmail or Facebook — but Firefox is not Gmail. No matter how much Firefox wants to ape web apps, it’s not a web app. In the eyes of most users installed software is judged by a different set of standards.

Even many who aren’t bothered by the move to the rapid release schedule Mozilla has adopted from Chrome, stop short of embracing a completely versionless Firefox. "While I understand that the UX team wants to make version numbers less important," writes Tyler Downer, "removing them from the About window is not the answer."

So what is the answer? Maybe the Chrome web browser.

Increasingly that seems to be where web developers are going, leaving Firefox for Chrome or Chromium (the open source version of Chrome). According to StatCounter, Firefox’s worldwide usage stats have been slightly, but steadily, declining since September 2010.

Here at Webmonkey Firefox has been falling much faster of late, losing roughly 3 percent every month for the last three months (with Chrome picking up the majority of those users). Three months ago happens to roughly correspond to Mozilla’s first rapid release cycle offering, Firefox 5.

With Firefox losing ground to Chrome across the board, snubbing anyone, let alone the web developers who were no small part of Firefox’s initial success, seems like a misguided strategy. But misguided or no, it seems to be the strategy Mozilla is embracing.
I think ditching version numbers is nuts. :shadedshu What do you think?

Webmonkey

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
I actually mentioned this in another thread last week. My comment was something along the lines of "Mozilla have listened to our complains regarding the version number inflation, and have decided to do away with version numbers alltogether!"

Dumb as fuck, if you ask me...

Here at Webmonkey Firefox has been falling much faster of late, losing roughly 3 percent every month for the last three months (with Chrome picking up the majority of those users). Three months ago happens to roughly correspond to Mozilla’s first rapid release cycle offering, Firefox 5.

Stupid people (read=majority of users) HATE major versions. It implies compatibility issues (which they think is happening with their adddons, when it's just the addon seeing the new version number and committing suicide), bugs and general instability. I've heard of people who refuse point blank to upgrade service packs in Windows for this very reason. Then I laugh and watch them get assraped by viruses.

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
There is no real reason to keep them when you look at how it's being used currently, a few fixes here and there nets you a whole new major release.........It's just like all the """"pre alpha""" footage and gameplay demos that are rampant in the games industry now.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
They should have animals instead of version names. I support this because nobody ever gets confused: IE Mozilla Firefox: Wet Walrus, kinda like how Ubuntu is done. Nobody ever forgets. Ever.

Oh god, who's the idiot innovator at Mozilla? I understand the term "simplification", but they went beyond that point with Firefox 5. This latest idea is just crazy and an absolute nightmare for developers and admins or freelance tech support.

Imagine this scenario:

User: I don't have an X function
Support: Ok, can you find it under X by clicking on Y
User: I can't see Y
Support: Apparently you're using an older version
User: How do i know what version do i have?
Support: Erm (now they'll have to ask the user what they have and don't have as features to even identify the version)*

*where it could be easier to just fork the version number and look up by themselves.

I also can't imagine how will extensions work without version numbers. They have idiotic problems even now and they still have versions, it's just that they jump major versions in large chunks that make most of extensions useless (especially FireGestures is dead after every friggin update).

I really don't get it why are the suddenly hammering with their heads through a double concrete and extra bricked wall if old numbering system worked just fine (prior version 4.0). I mean why the hell are they complicating their lives and development with such stupid things. Artificially larger numbers didn't accelerate the development of Firefox. Programmers doing their job did. Firefox could have the same functionality with version number 4.3 or 4.5. But no, they want Firefox 4565757 by the end of the year. WHY!? It won't be any better than Firefox 4.5 would be if they used the old version scheme. So what's the point? Leave the stupid Chrome alone and work with your product. Follow the competition but don't go into dumb decisions like this.

Naming Firefox after animal names is a good idea but would not work in real world. You could follow them alphabetically (Antilope, Baboon, Caracal, Dingo etc) but you'd run out of them quickly. And you'd have to have a list of all of them to track their progress.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think when Mozilla is using the Version numbers in the way they currently are, as a marketting tool and not as an actual version tracking tool, I couldn't care less if they get rid of them.

System Name Sovereign // HTPC
Processor i7 3770k 4.2 // i7 3770k 4.2
Motherboard Maximus V Gene // Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Noctua D14 // Intel HSF
Memory 16GB Samsung // 16GB VengeanceLP
Video Card(s) Deciding // 660 DC2
Storage OS (X25-M), Data (Seagate 1TB) // Samsung 840 120GB & bunch of drives
Display(s) Samsung T240HD // LG TV
Case TJ08e // Grandia GD08
Audio Device(s) DT880 Pro 250 ohm // TV speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Plat 1000 // Seasonic Gold 760
Software Windows 8 Pro x64 // Windows 7 Pro x64
They will ditch commercial version numbers, but keep it like chrome.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
You have no way to qualify "latest version" without version numbers. That's why they exist--to update.

The reason why versions don't exist on most web pages is because there is only one version available at any given time and it is only available from that single server. It is a live access copy and what is downloaded by web browsers is usually considered obsolete by nature. The argument Mozilla is trying to make would only be true if the browser was 100% cloud based. Until then, their argument is baseless.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I see the Yes votes are running away with it and I'm not really surprised.

Come on people, keep voting and commenting. I especially want to hear from you if you think getting rid of version numbers is a good idea. :)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I think when Mozilla is using the Version numbers in the way they currently are, as a marketting tool and not as an actual version tracking tool, I couldn't care less if they get rid of them.

its a marketing tool like MS n Google Use and it was the same with Netscape

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Really? There's a debate about this? A huge thread? This takes all of 3 seconds to figure out. Remove the version number from the exe name, leave the program alone. Hides it from the average user and not from anyone who cares.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
What's the difference really? When I used Chrome, it auto updated. Unless I specifically looked in the help tab, I never knew what version I had anyways. It didn't make it work any different;)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
You have no way to qualify "latest version" without version numbers. That's why they exist--to update.

The reason why versions don't exist on most web pages is because there is only one version available at any given time and it is only available from that single server. It is a live access copy and what is downloaded by web browsers is usually considered obsolete by nature. The argument Mozilla is trying to make would only be true if the browser was 100% cloud based. Until then, their argument is baseless.

A good example of cloud based computing is the Steam client and the apps that run off it. However, version numbers for everything are still there if you look for them, so I don't think it makes any difference.

What's the difference really? When I used Chrome, it auto updated. Unless I specifically looked in the help tab, I never knew what version I had anyways. It didn't make it work any different;)

It's one thing hiding it behind a menu, like most programs do, but Mozilla want to remove it altogether. Version numbers underpin every bit of hardware and software in the world of computers, so removing them makes no sense at all. I reckon they're doing it to get out of the version war with the other browsers. How lame. :rolleyes:

Really? There's a debate about this? A huge thread? This takes all of 3 seconds to figure out. Remove the version number from the exe name, leave the program alone. Hides it from the average user and not from anyone who cares.

It's still only a little thread. Give it a chance to grow. ;)

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Its more to benefit them than us obviously...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
thats how u determine whats been fixed etc

A good example of cloud based computing is the Steam client and the apps that run off it. However, version numbers for everything are still there if you look for them, so I don't think it makes any difference.

It's one thing hiding it behind a menu, like most programs do, but Mozilla want to remove it altogether. Version numbers underpin every bit of hardware and software in the world of computers, so removing them makes no sense at all. I reckon they're doing it to get out of the version war with the other browsers. How lame. :rolleyes:

It's still only a little thread. Give it a chance to grow. ;)

TimoX

Processor C2D E8400@4600
Motherboard DFI-Lanparty LP UT P45-T2RS
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8 gigs DDR1066 @1200
Video Card(s) HD6950, unlocked, 950/1450
Storage SSD, dual TB drives
Display(s) 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Rosewill RBR1000-M
Software Win7 and XP dual boot
WTF is wrong with Mozilla lately!!!???

The morons in charge need to pull their heads out and go back to the beginning.
They are acting like Microsoft, thinking they know what the user wants instead of actually listening to the user.

Yesterday for the first time I contemplated switching browsers, and if the trend continues I'll have to.

Yesterday I clicked on check for updates to see if any security updates were available, and it said "an update is available". That's it, no info, no link to release notes or anything, so I didn't click the update now box, I just closed it out and decided to try and find out what the update was.

Of course there was no info on it anywhere, so I figured I wouldn't do it, since things had been working fine.

Close out FF, later open it back up and suddenly a pop up says some of my addons aren't compatible and it opens FF all screwed up looking. Checked, and it decided I needed FF6!

Of course there is no "rollback" feature, but what makes it worse is I did NOT tell it to do the update, let alone do an upgrade to a new version.

Luckily I was able to run the installer of 5.0.1 that I still had, and installed it on top and it actually fixed everything back to normal, but still, WTF?

Also, I have the auto update check disabled, but I'm wondering how many others will be in that same boat, with an update/upgrade they don't want.

they need to quit chasing Google and microsoft and get back to making a solid browser that works, not one that is becoming more of a headache due to constant version changes that shouldn't be new numbers, but continuations, such as 4.1, 4.2, etc.. which cause headaches for users trying to update add-ons.

Not to mention, I have no desire to constantly run an unknown update to be "up to date" when I may not need or want the update, while it could cause problems with my addons because they implement a no version number scheme change to a key core component....

End of rant.... for now. :)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I meant like Live Office suite or Google Docs where the entire application resides on a server somewhere. There may be an interfacing client (in order to get access to local files) but the core application is versionless because it is always current.

Steam has version numbers because it is installed on every computer. It doesn't work through a different application (like a web browser). If it exists locally, it has to have a version number as per Portable Executable requirements.

If you check chrome download page, you can't see any version # there. Firefox has been using version # for commercial/advertising purpose. It has no practical purpose among mainstream users because they don't really care.

What is really important is for the browser to be up to date with bug fixes, and chrome has been doing that really well. I don't even know i'm on Chrome 13 until i heard people was talking about new features in chrome 13.

Version # is for debugging, bug-reporting, troubleshooting purpose, so it doesn't really matter among users that the only purpose they have is browsing the webs.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I meant like Live Office suite or Google Docs where the entire application resides on a server somewhere. There may be an interfacing client (in order to get access to local files) but the core application is versionless because it is always current.

Steam has version numbers because it is installed on every computer. It doesn't work through a different application (like a web browser). If it exists locally, it has to have a version number as per Portable Executable requirements.

Well, you could argue that the Javascript or whatever it takes to make it go would have a version, but I see what you mean. The web-based one is essentially transient in nature.

Processor i7 2600K | Phenom II 840
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe | ASUS M4A88T-M
Cooling Corsair H60 | Scythe Samurai ZZ
Memory 4x4GB Samsung Green 1600 @ 1866 | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 1333
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 670 FTW | On Board AMD
Storage 2 x 64GB Samsung 830, Velociraptor 300GB,1TB Black,1.5TB Black |10TB server
Display(s) HP 2509m 25" 1080p
Case Lian Li PC-V1020A | Lian Li PC-V354A
Audio Device(s) Azuntech Bravuria 7.1 | On-Board (Disabled)
Power Supply Seasonic X-series 760 , Seasonic X-series 760
Software Windows 7 Ultimate X64 | UnRaid (CentOS)
I think it's a bad idea...... For example, besides the obvious UI change, I like knowing I am actually running 3.6.20. Gave me a version number to search for when I came back from 4 and 6, and the point releases in between.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X
What about an update log to show all the new changes?

Is that important? I always read update logs. You kind of need version numbers to do that..

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
They can still have a log that associates by the date it was implemented;)

What about an update log to show all the new changes?

Is that important? I always read update logs. You kind of need version numbers to do that..

I'm pretty sure what they meant is the commercial # not the dev version # which you can find in the about windows.

EDIT: You will have to find them in about:support..

Now i know what they meant :/

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Well as long as they tell me whats new I don't really care about knowing the version number.