• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Aw how I'm going to miss a tank driver taking off on me mid-repair and leaving me standing with my dick in my hand. Defenseless and under fire in a huge open field...

Might still happen, depends how easy it is to move that thing, if it's on tracks it probably won't strafe. Also depends on how much fire it can take. It sounds like it will be a good tool, just really depends on exactly how it is implemented.

Black Haru

Staff member
A few big things I'm noticing that I haven't seen mentioned now that I look at that.

Interesting I finally see mention of that little robot. He's an engineer deployment that can be used to repair vehicles and arm crates. A tool that allows them to do this from safety should make things interesting.

Then I see that Medic (which now use AR's) show Medkit, Defib, then Under barrel extensions... I had been thinking they would have to chose between Medic capabilities and noobtube capability. If Assault gets that all rolled into one, I don't think you will be seeing much else around. But I'm only judging by the list structure showing them on the same level, so hopefully my initial guess is correct.

And I see Support gets C4, makes a bit of sense as Shotty Assault got it before, but I also see we now get Claymores. Not sure what to think about that, yes it's warfare, but just seems to promote camping. Either way, just interesting that something like that hasn't been mentioned to catch COD fanbase attention, I always hear mention of damn claymores from them.

Recon getting a mini UAV, thats interesting, wonder how capable it is. Also their new motion mine setup. Can't throw it, so won't be able to whip it and see people, can also be destroyed, and you can actually sneak past it. I kind of like those changes.

Also nice to see some more weapons that can be used by all kits, instead of mostly shotguns.

remember that clamores can be snuck past. give that sniper a nasty surprise when he thinks his back is protected!

as for the EOD bot, I plan on having a lot of fun with that. deploy out of transport chopper? I hope so.

as for assault, I don't care either way. even if they get med kit and under-slung attachments, they will be able to do very little against vehicles.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
that is boiler plate. all of your installed games have that i bet.
Exactly. Here's a part of the EULA from Burnout Paradise:
3. Consent to Use of Data. To facilitate Technical Protection Measures, the provision of software updates, any dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online play, you agree that EA and its affiliates may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including an Internet Protocol Address and hardware identification), operating system and application software and peripheral hardware. EA and its affiliates may also use this information in the aggregate, in a form which does not personally identify you, to improve our products and services and we may share anonymous aggregate data with our third party service providers.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
remember that clamores can be snuck past. give that sniper a nasty surprise when he thinks his back is protected!

as for the EOD bot, I plan on having a lot of fun with that. deploy out of transport chopper? I hope so.

as for assault, I don't care either way. even if they get med kit and under-slung attachments, they will be able to do very little against vehicles.

Yeah, I don't mind claymores too much, but if they allow 2 or 3 to be used, then it becomes a real pain in the ass.

I'm assuming the bot will have fall damage. And if you plan to land and deploy I'm betting like most things controlled by remote, it will have a range. But maybe not.

But I want you to think of it right now. Current Assault class has no use against vehicles. The weakness of playing Medic is, you can't destroy vehicles and you an't remove cover (unless it's thin). To allow noobtubing and a medbox even is pretty ridiculous then add on reviving. I already hate a good Squad of roaming Medic, only chance is to take cover and try and keep them suppressed. But if they could remove cover, I'll probably just run like a girl. It will be a almost every utility in it's arsenal. Here's how I look at it now.

Assault - Great against infantry, poor against vehicles, great against cover (removing building walls)
Engineer - Comapred to Medic / Assault not the greatest vs infantry, great against vehicles, good for removing cover (not as good as a noobtube and ammo box)
Medic - Great against Infantry, poor against vehicles, poor for removing cover
Recon - Good against infantry, good against vehicles, ok at removing cover (great if using C4, but not able to remove ranged cover).

The new Medic if allowed an underslung will be almost the same as the current Assault, except for the fact that they will be harder to kill and able to keep up allies at the sametime. That will be pretty insane, I want to use an LMG, but if Medic is allowed that many tools, expect me to roll one again.

System Name Wopper
Processor Intel i5 3570 @ 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 760 3Gb w/acx cooling
Storage 120Gb Evo SSD + 2 GB Games + 1.5 TB Data
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2268WM 22-Inch 120 Hz 3D-Ready
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Realtec onboard
Power Supply Antec TruePower New 550W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Planet Battlefield - Battlefield 3 being shown at Insomnia43 in the UK

Wednesday, 24 August, 2011 at 14:44 PST | ^Scott^ | Print News
In addition to being shown at PAX this weekend, Battlefield 3 will be at the Insomnia43 gaming festival in the UK on Sunday. Thanks richardjw1990.

Today we are very excited to announce yet another UK first at insomnia43. This Sunday will officially be the first UK consumer showing of EA’s upcoming Battlefield 3 on PC and you guys will be able to get your hands on the real thing in the exhibition hall!

Battlefield 3 is one of the mostly hotly anticipated titles due for release in 2011 and we’re very proud to be able to bring you this opportunity to experience it a full 3 months early. Gamers will be able to play the game’s Squad Deathmatch game-mode, pitting two teams of 4 against each other in epic warfare at it’s finest.

When this game was shown at Gamescom in Cologne last weekend, the demonstration area saw gamers queueing for up to 9 hours just to get a hands on experience, so we expect demand at insomnia43 to be huge!

For those of you who don’t already have a ticket for the UK’s largest ever LAN event, why not head on down to insomnia43 and pick up a day ticket on the door for only £5 for the whole day!

BF-Games.net - Battlefield 3: BF-Games.net GamesCom Review

CloneCommanders review

Bad Company 2 is still fun for me, maybe because I don’t have time to play very often. Somehow, I’m missing the real "Battlefield-Feeling". Especially in Air-Combat, my favourite job in BF! At my first hands-on BF3 I was really overwhelmed. Spawning in a Jet, the vibration and sound effects made me feel like playing more a simulation such as "IL2: Sturmovik" than an Battlefield. And regarding the other sounds, graphics and effects: Thumbs Up!

But there are also some negative aspects. One of the biggest: The Minimap never displays the whole map at once. Pressing "M", it only resizes itself to the whole screen – but displays the same sector as in "small mode". That really wasn’t helpful to orientate myself searching enemies or outposts. Flying an F-18, I had to choose between MG and “Heatseek”-Missiles. First Impression: Nice, even if I prefer flying a BF109 smile.gif. But I can’t conclude the whole gameplay after some minutes at a foreign PC without a joystick. Same thing for Helicopter: As gunner, I cleared the Battlefield (thanks infrared view) and also blew up a Jet. As pilot I also was able to take down a Jet without any practice, but unfortunately I can’t compare the manoeuvrability with other games, since I’m normally flying with a Joystick. But after all, I liked what I saw.

The TDM was predicted to look at some little details and infantry fight. Very positive: It’s possible to strafe sidewise while sprinting now – that’s helpful when sprinting stairways up or down. The right mouse button lets the player aim, and while firing in this mode you loose your target very fast because it’s shaking like hell. Nevertheless, „Abenteuer Dauerfeuer“ (no translation possible - sorry) is still possible, which I really appreciate. Since the infantry fight was really exciting, I don’t need Call of Duty for this purpose anymore. It’s a pity that you spawn random on the whole map, and not like in CoD somewhere near your Team - but let’s wait if that’s final, because the Squad system is still work-in-progress.

My conclusion: BF3 is a worthy successor of BF2, and no BC3.

Bernies review

Spawn, enter a jeep and dash through the scenery - the typical "Battlefield-Feeling" was present just after a few seconds. If you played the predecessors, you'll feel at home rather quick. Also the known "I run to the aircraft and right before I'm able to enter it, someone else flies away with it" also happened right away. The graphics, the customizability and the sound is simply awesome - that's how i wished Battlefield 3 would be.

"It is alpha-software" - this sentence I've heard quite often. At some points (like graphic-errors, missing sounds or balancing) this is understandable. At some other points like the vehicles' physics, there's still much work to do. I'm not sure if this can be done in time.

Getting stuck nearly everywhere while running or driving was the most annoying thing in previous Battlefield titles for me. Although this happened also in the BF3 Alpha (like unrealistic blockades for the tank), it is appreciable that this will be very rare in BF3 as trees are no obstacle for tanks. It's really scary to see the trees fall before you actually see the tank. My favorite impression of the improved collision-detection was while playing infantry. I was never really causeless blocked in house-to-house fighting. I was sliding over little edges and easily jumped over small objects.

While the missing mod support is really sad, I'm happily looking forward to Battlefield 3 - as a gamer.

gapps' review

You cannot compare Battlefield 3 with another Battlefield-games. Yes, the graphics are similar to the ones in Bad Company 2, but you're as mobile as you are in Battlefield 2. And aside of that Battlefield 3 is its own independent game. And details and sound are everywhere - and fantastic.

17 minutes to play the conquest with 64 players on Caspian Border. The map itself is probably not one of the biggest maps in the battlefield history, but its not small either. It plays out nicely since there are enough different ways on the map. The graphics are, as said before, excellent. Aiming, reloading and sprinting have nice animations and fit into the game perfectly. But there are weak points aswell. The minimap is not really useful yet, since it displays only small parts. Even by pressing "M" it only becomes bigger but does not really grant a good overview yet. Some vehicles simply disappear when the flag they spawned on changes sides. The jets fly a bit slow and the rocket launchers do not enough damage. But that are small points that can be fixed easily.

Overall, we can expect a true successor for the Battlefield series. The mix is ok, there is no huge and disturbing display of kill messages and the badges are blocking the view either like they do in Call of Duty. The menu and the customization are simple aswell and are easy to overview. Its definitly fun to play BF3 and it looks like BF3 is going to be worth its price.

-=Punkbusters review=-

Schnick, Schnack, Schnuck as we in Germany say or simply rock, paper, scissors. That’s what Battlefield is all about and that’s what I’ve seen during my conquest session at Gamescom. There was a tank rushing at the flag only to be taken out by a helicopter. And guess what: the chopper was taken down directly after it because the gunner of the tank got out and found a nice little place to make his first attempts with the SA-18. As you can see there are more than choppers and flak, and that’s why this game is completely different from Bad Company 2. It tastes more like a Battlefield 2 with new completely new graphics and powerful sounds.

Only one question remains and it’s about the gameplay. Unfortunately I can’t say very much after a session of 17 minutes where everyone was trying out the weapons and functions but I can say that much: the map is looking good (real good in fact) and I personally don’t care if it is smaller, bigger or equal to any BF2 map. It is big enough and that’s the only thing that counts. And to be honest: the Battlefield series is popular because of maps like Gazala, Operation Hastings, Strike at Karkand, Camp Gibraltar, and the alltime classic Wake, and not because of non existing gameplay or epic fails at the mapping department.

Same goes for Team Deathmatch that was great fun even with 4on4. You can enter most of the buildings and combined with the random spawns you will find an very interesting sort of gameplay. To unite with your squadmates you have to fight your way through the enemy and there were some interesting effects especially for veterans. Since the very beginning I’m used to easily jump onto walls and above fences. This time there is a smooth animation that brings your playermodel directly to the other side of the wall and into the line of fire. That’s a thing I have to get used to but definitely nice addition. Less hopping, more tactic. I like and I can’t wait to play the Beta.

TASS' review

Battlefield 3 felt, at least in conquest, like a battlefield. There is no doubt about that. Why is hard to tell. But no matter weither we are talking about 1942, BFV or BF2, a Battlefield got the have this particular feeling. This particular gameplay, this particular atmosphere. Maybe its simply key moments like the rock, paper, scissors experience: A mg takes down half my squad, our tank blows up the mg and a helo makes short process with the tank. Of course one shouldn't have any illusion concerning BF3. Even in CQ BF3 is no BF2 2.0. Graphics, technics and gameplay evolved in the last 6 years. And even in BF3 there is things like the jets or the flag layout that I haven't yet come to like. But there hasn't been any other new game in the last few years that triggered more of the battlefield feeling mentioned above in me than BF3 and destruction and the fewer barriers in the game are refreshingly different.

Refreshingly different aswell were the other gamemodes I played. The coop is a nice idea. It's lacking real team functions like in Left4Dead or Rainbow Six - but isn't it part of BF to cooperate and play together without 200 buttons? I'd have prefered a coop with 4 players over the 2 possible players but I know one thing: coop rocks - why not in BF3? More sceptic I was about the TDM. To me, TDM is no real Battlefield. But does it have to be like that? No. TDM is different - and a lot of fun!

Weither BF3 will manage to capture my attention for over a year like BF2-vanilla and what comes after that with the lack of mods, since the mod-era IMO is over once and for all, will remain to be seen. But I am definitly looking forward to the day on wich Battefield will arive in the year 2011! The only thing I am sceptic about currently are Origin and its terms of use. But if the Beta will confirm my positive impression that might be the only reason not to buy BF3 for me.

Nightmares review:

Select class and weapon, spawn and bash the enemy - as modder you've got a different perspective when playing a new game in the series. Thats why I focused more on the vehicle physics and the weapons, the mechanics behind the action. But even with that different perspective I had to notice the graphic which easily competes with Crysis and in detail sometimes even looks better. The sound is awesome aswell, as is the huge amount of weapons from which you can select.

The different bullet drop, recoil, precision and fire rate make weapons like G3, M16, MP7 or P90 feel different. Every weapon is deadly with roughly 4-8 shots on the main body parts. The helicopters fly relativly dull and "inactivly" and need at least 10-12 of the carried 14 rockets to destroy a tank. Touching a tree means certain death. In the Version I played, the Mig had no bombs mounted, the gattling had a high firerate and bad precision and felt ineffective against infantry, since it didn't kill even when getting a hit indicator. The wide turn radius and the fov made the jet feel slow. From main to main, the jet needed 12 seconds with afterburner and 15 without, which is comparable with a 1km map in BF2. In the tank I liked the zoom for the main gun the most. The physics still felt quite unfinished. The tank accelerated pretty badly and sometimes slided off in angled terrain. If the tank once started to slide, no breaking or accelerating helped anymore. Some tree trunks and stones still turned out to be heavy to surmount. The emergency exit from destroyed vehicles seemed to be working for all passengers but the pilot/driver.

Daniel "zh1nt0" Matros promised that there is still going to be chances to the vehicle physics. Weither that is true, the beta will show. For me Battlefield is defined by conquest and its vehicles, its the main reason the buy the game. So the Beta will decide weither I'll spend my money on Battlefield3.

Ivans review

Last wednesday I felt like taken 6 years back... During a summer evening in the year 2005 I connected to a BF2 demo server and found myself in the heart of an attack on a MEC base. Tanks and hummvees passed by left and right and the commander gave orders. Wow, what a feeling! This atmosphere, those graphics, this sound... Now in the year 2011, at Gamescom, I had exactly that impressive feeling again. Wow...

Much has been said about graphics, the sound and the handling of the vehicles already. But my most important realisation during the last days was, that BF3 is a real Battlefield, like I play and love it since 1942. The second most important realisation is, that DICE seems to know on wich things they still need to work, be it jets, tanks or the end of round scoreboard without tickets. I am having full trust in Lars Gustavsson that he makes his developers fix thos weak points still till the release. And I am already thrilled by the infantry movement. Bunnyhopping (I like this kind of movement) is beeing prevented without "tieing" the player to the ground. You can expierence mobility without having a gameplay like in Unreal or Quake.

I am leaning back to let Lars and his team work while I think about which hardware to put into my new PC.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
GamingLives - Battlefield 3 – Hands-on Preview

Wednesday, August 24th, 2011
by Adam

It’s raining. The streetlights are shining back up at me from the wet cobbles as I leap from the Humvee, landing with a dull thud that echoes through the silent street and delivering a fearful chill straight down my spine. There’s a hostage in the building whom we need to get out – we being my new German buddy Kierse and I who have both been selected for this dangerous operation. We have all the prime technology of the USMC in our hands, radio support in our ears, we’re dangerous and we’re ready for this. We’re also running forward five paces, running back another six, spinning around on the spot, hopping up and down, raising the scope, going to crouch, sprinting and going prone.

If we really are the finest the USMC has to offer I think the hostage would be best served if he jumped from the window and took his chances with the windscreens of our Hummers. There was, of course, a purpose to all of this; we were hands on with the very first demoing of the PS3 version of Battlefield 3’s newly announced Co-Op Mode. Following a short presentation by Producer Patrick Liu, in which we took another look at the incredible Caspian Border trailer, Patrick offered us a few general pointers for the mission we were about to play, Exfiltration. “Try to use your silenced weapons for as long as you can, watch out for cameras in the corners and don’t leave your Co-Op buddy behind because if you go down, it’s not going to be easy for him to get you back up. I think we’ve only had about eight people make it through this one without a total wipe this week!”

Were it that I had more experience with a PS3 controller, that probably wouldn’t have been too much of a problem. Sadly, I think the last time I invested any time with a DualShock controller was back in the days of Cortez and the TimeSplitters so, despite how welcome Patrick’s advice was, it wasn’t going to be all that much use to me as I had far bigger problems to deal with first. Thankfully, Kierse was a much more able player than I and within no time at all, we’d snuck our way into the first room and taken out the two idle soldiers with some carefully executed headshots. Or, at least, that was what Kierse saw on his screen; I was too busy staring at the light bulb, panicking as the first shot was fired and inadvertently changing weapon to my much beefier assault rifle, unloading an entire clip into a wall before hitting my mark and raising every alarm in the building in the process.

It doesn’t sound good, but it was actually probably the best thing that could have happened in this situation. My crazed spray and pray approach to gunfire had taken out the light bulb, plunging us into darkness and taken some rather meaty chunks out of the far wall, demonstrating both how subtle and how powerful the Frostbyte2 engine really is.

We fought our way through the hallways, battled up the stairs and then barrelled our way down a corridor, running down some considerably quieter stairs before emerging back onto the street where our platoon of Humvees were parked up. We exchanged confused looks, both with ourselves and then again with the beautifully rendered, grizzly manly men of war that were manning the various seats in the Hummers who, in turn, returned a look of shame and disappointment. In all of our excitement we’d completely forgotten about the hostage, something Patrick was quick to remind us of, and so back through the building we sprinted, getting a better feel for the controls and quickly freeing our clearly confused hostage from his equally disorientated captors.

Having escorted him back out onto the street, we had the boys fire up the Hummers and moved into flanking positions on either side of the road, protecting our convoy as we pushed deeper into enemy controlled territory. They came out of nowhere, firing from every balcony, every rooftop, putting all of the panic and fear I’d managed to shake straight back into the pit of my stomach. I was too exposed, losing health and running out of bullets. I dashed for a row of pillars on the far side of the street and hid myself from all of the many crosshairs that were trained on my chest. I thought I was safe, but then the pesky – and brilliant – Frostbyte2 engine reared its wonderful head once more and, before too long, I found myself emitting worried squeaky noises as I struggled to find a bit of the pillar that offered enough protection as bullets blasted their way through it, destroying not only the pillar but any hope of actually getting out of here alive.

I figured it was time to find safer cover and so turned to dash back toward Kierse, but it was too late. One final bullet forced me to the ground, leaving me only able to fire my pistol as I slowly started to bleed out and the world began to blur and fade. Keirse tried his best, but in trying to save me he killed himself, ending the mission and prompting Patrick to wrap things up for this preview. The game had reloaded quickly though, so I asked Patrick if he’d mind me doing one last quick thing. I ran back through the street, re-entered the building and headed back to that very first kill that I’d missed. Keirse had already absconded from the battle and so it was just me, but with flawless execution, I silently head-shotted the first guard and charged straight at the second to execute a brutal and magical knife takedown, which put a far bigger smile on my face than society should really allow.

A grateful nod, a thank you to Patrick, the receipt of my Battlefield 3 VIP Floor Pass and my dejected (at the thought of no more Battefield 3 until October 27th) eyes lit back up (Genuine Eyes). It may have been over for my Co-Op experience, but the 64 player PC version was now only a short queue jump away. I felt guilty flashing the pass to the security guard, glancing over at the thousands of people who were patiently queuing for their chance to go hands on with this mind-bendingly epic FPS, but that soon passed when a diligent EA representative passed me a free T-Shirt and told me to enjoy the demo. I’m very easily distracted where freebies are concerned. Before entering the hall, I was able to stand shoulder to shoulder with the sixty three other players and look through to those currently enjoying the demo. There were only a few minutes left, but this only made it all look the more appealing as everyone in the room seemed to have already slotted back into the Battlefield PC groove and were just stacking up the awesome as they tooled around the Caspian Border in Tanks, hurtled through the skies in Jets or battled for the streets with their varied kit customisations.

The door ahead of us all opened and our heads all turned away from the action. We piled through to a cinema showcase of the game’s epic twelve minute long gameplay trailer, followed by a tutorial video to teach any new Battlefield players how to play and acquaint returning veterans with some of the game’s newer features. I’d like to say that I was prepared for all of this, but that tutorial presentation was delivered entirely in German, and so I made my way over to the keys armed only with my hundred and thirty hour service to the USMC in BF2 and my keen love for the mouse and keyboard to call upon.

It was like the true Battlefield and I never went our separate ways all those years ago. I was running alongside my squad mates, clambering into a buggy and speeding through a burning town without even thinking about it. Had we not have all been mousing around to take in the stunning views we’d probably have seen that M1 Abrahams Tank coming the other way, and probably would have done something about it. I died (a recurring theme for the rest of the demo, I might add). I remembered why I was here after that first death, thinking that I’d possibly rushed things a little and began to worry that I’d perhaps come on too strongly, fully deserving that nine hundred ton armoured division slap that someone across the room had delivered to me with glee. I started to treat this more professionally, started pushing buttons on the spawn UI, re-adjusted my class, selected a new spawn point and headed back into the battle… in a jet.

I’ve never been a great pilot in the Battlefield series; I’ll freely confess that fact. I take a very Indiana Jones approach to it all “Fly? Yes! Land? No.” I thundered down the runway, fired up the afterburner with a touch of the shift key and marvelled as the plane began to violently shake, pushing worrying thoughts in through my ears to think twice about taking this jet lightly. Once I’d levelled out and brought the nose down to a sensible angle, I was stunned. The forest was burning, fire was raging, smoke was pluming and I could see for miles. I’m never one to push graphics over experience but this was an experience all in itself.

I flew around happily for a few minutes before deciding to test something that had been revealed to me earlier that morning in a Community Q&A session with Battlefield 3’s global community manager, Daniel Matros. The sky isn’t even the limit to Battlefield 3 at this stage, something that the game has always prevented you from doing in the past, where planes, helicopters and jets all eventually reached a stall height – but this is no longer the case in Battlefield 3. I climbed to almost five thousand feet in the jet before deciding that this could go on for quite some time and so I thought, what with the limited time available to me with the game, I’d practice an old party trick of mine.

I bailed, five thousand feet high, leaping from my seat in the cockpit and allowing momentum to push me higher, before that Wil. E. Coyote moment where things go from up to down and I started sky diving my way back towards my rapidly plummeting Jet. I was worried I was going to miss it but I smashed my way back into the cockpit with some rapid hammering of the ‘E’ key, flipped the nose of the jet instantly back down towards the ground and then attempted to defy the laws of physics by pulling out of a violently fast nose dive, failing to do so miserably, only to then slam the entire weight of the jet directly onto that M1 Abrahams.

I’d like to claim revenge, I’d like to say I was aiming for him or that I’d managed to eject at the last second and had somehow survived. I honestly had no idea he was there as I was going far too fast and having far too much fun to notice. If I’d tried to do that, I would have failed spectacularly, but I still exchanged nods with an on looking developer who was watching from the sidelines and got straight back into it. I spawned at a destroyed gas station and made my way over to the flag capture point in the forest, the only one capture point my faithful team of Russian forces had so far failed to secure. I got into the foliage and I went prone, picked off the spawning US forces and locked down the flag. At the exact moment I managed to tip it back into neutral a friendly helicopter gunship flew over, letting lose a hail of bullets that burst through the leaves and cleaved the surrounding trees clean in half. I should have really been annoyed that the guy was on the verge of team killing me, but this was far too epic to get shirty when I was being treated to the magic of Frostbyte2.

The forest secured, me and my new squad headed back in towards the main town, emerging from the trees to a view of a road, a ditch and then a nine foot high wall just behind it. I glanced down the length of wall, looking for a way in until I remembered what it was I was playing. I switched instantly to my grenades and blasted a spectacular hole for us all to pile through, amazed at the dust it had kicked up and at how each individual piece of the wall had responded in a completely random, albeit authentic and downright cool way.

With a Death/Suicide ratio to be proud of (and a Kill/Death ratio to not be so proud of), I hung my headphones up on the edge of the screen and headed for door, exchanging one last knowing nod with my on looking fan and passing back out into the great Hall Six of Gamescom 2011. I rounded the Battlefield 3 queue one last time, looking into the hungry eyes of everyone that was waiting dutifully for their first chance to play the game. I felt a bond, a connection with these people. In just over two months, we’re all going to be out there, on the battlefield, fighting for victory at all and any awesome cost. My new brothers and sisters, comrades and enemies, all part of one giant shared experience with those proud few of us who can stand amongst the others and say ‘I was there man, I was there’.

I couldn’t wait for Battlefield 3 before I got my hands-on time today and now, I really can’t wait. I’ll see you at the beta.

Last edited:

Black Haru

Staff member
Yeah, I don't mind claymores too much, but if they allow 2 or 3 to be used, then it becomes a real pain in the ass.

I'm assuming the bot will have fall damage. And if you plan to land and deploy I'm betting like most things controlled by remote, it will have a range. But maybe not.

But I want you to think of it right now. Current Assault class has no use against vehicles. The weakness of playing Medic is, you can't destroy vehicles and you an't remove cover (unless it's thin). To allow noobtubing and a medbox even is pretty ridiculous then add on reviving. I already hate a good Squad of roaming Medic, only chance is to take cover and try and keep them suppressed. But if they could remove cover, I'll probably just run like a girl. It will be a almost every utility in it's arsenal. Here's how I look at it now.

Assault - Great against infantry, poor against vehicles, great against cover (removing building walls)
Engineer - Comapred to Medic / Assault not the greatest vs infantry, great against vehicles, good for removing cover (not as good as a noobtube and ammo box)
Medic - Great against Infantry, poor against vehicles, poor for removing cover
Recon - Good against infantry, good against vehicles, ok at removing cover (great if using C4, but not able to remove ranged cover).

The new Medic if allowed an underslung will be almost the same as the current Assault, except for the fact that they will be harder to kill and able to keep up allies at the sametime. That will be pretty insane, I want to use an LMG, but if Medic is allowed that many tools, expect me to roll one again.

I bet it'll be a tradeoff. you can have your paddles, and your nade launcher, but you lose out on med pack and explosive upgrade, or you can have all medic, or all assault. something like that. it would hold steady with "play it your way" that DICE has been pushing.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
I bet it'll be a tradeoff. you can have your paddles, and your nade launcher, but you lose out on med pack and explosive upgrade, or you can have all medic, or all assault. something like that. it would hold steady with "play it your way" that DICE has been pushing.

Yeah, thats what I was expecting before I seen that chart. So I hope it ends up that way. I finally want to enjoy LMGs for what they are, was sick of people whining in BC2, now the kit is just all about that. But if they make Medic that amazing, I don't know if I can resist the pull.

Black Haru

Staff member
Yeah, thats what I was expecting before I seen that chart. So I hope it ends up that way. I finally want to enjoy LMGs for what they are, was sick of people whining in BC2, now the kit is just all about that. But if they make Medic that amazing, I don't know if I can resist the pull.

bah, engi was always my thing. and that's looking better than ever.

as for fall damage on those EODs, I'll just make sure my pilot drops real close... hopefully no range limit.

just thought of something: portable micro-UAV deployed out of the transport chopper "flightception" - aircraft within an aircraft!

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
bah, engi was always my thing. and that's looking better than ever.

just thought of something: portable micro-UAV deployed out of the transport chopper "flightception" - aircraft within an aircraft!

Yeah, sadly Engi is now my most played kit (even gametime wise). I just love land mines, and it's looking nice now that it's getting something beyond just dillingers. I'm sure I will be a landmine whore on a few maps. Probably start off Support (like I did Medic in BC2) play the crap out of that, then diversify down the road once I know the maps and peoples vehicle tendencies.

Now as far as "flightception" if you do pull this off, are you now really in the aircraft or not?

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
I laughed really hard when I read this as I could only think of this. :laugh:

Roving, thats the word I was looking for. Me and Marinborn been using that scenario forever, always makes things seem hilarious. And funny that you link that, I just watched that episode a few days ago.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64

LOL so what its not like any other site out there get over the STEAM years for EA games please.OH i bet STEAM has the very same agreement too ..........

Oh for some of you wondering why the web base online connections,This means EA has control over who is hacking,They have since (Nov2010 BF4Free Beta)Banned allot of hackers straight at the ip# and their EA accounts.So please see that as a big +

Black Haru

Staff member
Yeah, sadly Engi is now my most played kit (even gametime wise). I just love land mines, and it's looking nice now that it's getting something beyond just dillingers. I'm sure I will be a landmine whore on a few maps. Probably start off Support (like I did Medic in BC2) play the crap out of that, then diversify down the road once I know the maps and peoples vehicle tendencies.

Now as far as "flightception" if you do pull this off, are you now really in the aircraft or not?

yeah, currently assault is my most played. but it was engi first, and that's how I am starting here too.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
LOL so what its not like any other site out there get over the STEAM years for EA games please.OH i bet STEAM has the very same agreement too ..........

Oh for some of you wondering why the web base online connections,This means EA has control over who is hacking,They have since (Nov2010 BF4Free Beta)Banned allot of hackers straight at the ip# and their EA accounts.So please see that as a big +

its more than usual for games publisher

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Battleblog #8: Build your weapon of choice

BY: HBrun POSTED : Aug 25, 2011, 12:00AM

We have well over 50 weapons in Battlefield 3. But each weapon in itself can be tailored to wildly differing play styles and combat roles. Read on for the full details on our deepest weapon customization ever.

Two weeks ago, we detailed the general design philosophy behind the gun play in Battlefield 3 together with Senior Designer Alan Kertz. Today, we are delving deeper into the thousands of weapon customization options you will have in the game.

Basically, each main weapon in the game has three accessory slots, where you can attach weapon accessories you have unlocked. Weapon accessory unlocks are received on a per weapon basis, meaning that the more time you spend with a particular weapon, the more options you will have to customize that weapon to fit different your combat role and play style.

A rifle in Battlefield 3 can be customized for wildly different combat roles. The carbine directly below has been equipped with a heavy barrel, bipod, and a 4X magnification combat scope. This would be ideal for a soldier who wants to engage targets at medium to long range and use suppressive fire to support his team mates.

In the picture above, the same carbine has instead been equipped with a suppressor, foregrip, and quick acquisition holographic scope. This setup would be well suited for Close Quarters Battle, especially indoors where stealth can be a vital factor.

The unlockable weapon accessories include an assortment of optics, suppressors, bipods, barrels, underslung grenade launchers, underslung shotguns, foregrips, flashlights, laser sights, and more.

While the class and model of your weapon will determine a number of basic values (like muzzle speed, energy, and fire rate), you can always modify it to tweak it towards anything from long range to close quarters combat.

So. Are you a long range sniper or a close quarters combat type of player? The neat thing is, in Battlefield 3, you can easily switch between both. With our powerful weapon customization features, there are no limits to the types of gameplay we support.

Stay tuned for Battlefield 3 Battleblog #9 soon

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
I'm just going to throw this out there. You guys can analyze it if you want to ...

twitter.com/Silvanoshi_EA: "That's no mean feat. RT @EARussellW: Origin's EULA has been updated. Hey internet, we listen to you. :) http://bit.ly/fkR8FJ"

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Well I just learned this tasty morsel and figured everyone would enjoy this one...

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8