• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Galaxy Tab: Apple screws over Samsung and customers in Germany

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Mods: I'm not sure if this actually belongs in the news section. Also, BTA may want to do his own take on this. :cool:

Samsung can never sell the Galaxy Tab as it exists right now within the borders of Germany.

The much-discussed trial that alleged Samsung had ripped off the iPad in the design and creation of the Galaxy Tab has ended with Samsung at the losing end.

The case was far from an open-and-shut deal. In fact, many expected Samsung to come out as the victor, especially when it was revealed that evidence in the case was not legitimate - pictures submitted to the court showed the iPad and Galaxy Tab side-by-side with identical proportions, but in reality they are different.

Regardless, the court ruled that there is still far too much similarity between the two.

"We are disappointed with this ruling and believe it severely limits consumer choice in Germany. Samsung will actively and immediately appeal this ruling to protect our intellectual property rights," Samsung said in a statement.

Galaxy Tabs were wiped off store shelves during the trial, and it looks like they may never go back.

The legal action was brought forth by Apple earlier this year. The company is looking to ban sales on the Galaxy Tab in all European Union countries.

However, today's ruling only affects Germany. That is obviously still quite a blow, since Germany has the largest economy in the entire continent.

Nevertheless, Samsung's business has been thriving over the last year, thanks in large part to its advancements in the smartphone sector. The company saw enormous growth over the last 12 months and analysts believe it has the potential to blossom even further.

TGDaily

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
yeah let apple does what they want, just make them satisfied until they hit the karma

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
When Jobs goes, I hope they'll lose that awful control freakery and become like a normal company. Jobs is the reason I can't stand the company.

Note that I don't personally wish him Ill though and I wish he could be cured of his cancer, an awful disease. I just don't like his evangelizing/reality distortion/control freakery style of leadership.

billcat479

When Jobs goes, I hope they'll lose that awful control freakery and become like a normal company. Jobs is the reason I can't stand the company.

Note that I don't personally wish him Ill though and I wish he could be cured of his cancer, an awful disease. I just don't like his evangelizing/reality distortion/control freakery style of leadership.

All the major players in the PC business have acted exactly like the oil and railroad tycoons on the mid to late 1800's. They used their methods almost to the letter in bullying, outright threats and backstabbing and putting their competitors out of business.
I wish the U.S. could clone T. Roosevelt.
He broke up the lock they had on those monopolies and we need, not only the U.S. but the world needs someone with the backbone to take them apart and break them up starting with Microsoft and Apple and intel and making sure rules are in place to stop things like this from happening again and again. The real hammer blows are in Europe where they arn't going to let these guys get away with what they are doing in the U.S. and this is really a shame and spells corruption in the U.S. on a large scale.
Microsoft ran their business just like the Mafia ran their business with very little differences.
The end user is the one that gets screwed in the long term as always.

Processor i5 750 4.2ghz 1.4V
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 2X2G Gskill @2140 8-11-8-28-1T
Video Card(s) 2xGainward Phantom3 570@860/4200
Storage 2xWD 500G AAKS Raid0 + 2XWD 1T Green in Raid0
Display(s) 24" HP w2408h+23" HP w2338h
Case SilverStone Raven2E-B
Audio Device(s) onboard for now
Power Supply Antec 1000W Truepower quattro
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit
lol? No comments on how sumsang copies pretty much everything apple have released? Oh wait, they do that ALL the time and it is the only reason why their laptop/phone divisions exsits

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
lol? No comments on how sumsang copies pretty much everything apple have released? Oh wait, they do that ALL the time and it is the only reason why their laptop/phone divisions exsits

Not sure if troll

or Apple fanboy

or both

System Name Bandit 2: Ryzen Boogaloo
Processor AMD R5 3600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 5700XT
Storage Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500GB; Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 10 Professional
I don't understand how this decision even came about. As stated, the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Apple iPad 2 have different physical specifications, 10.1" compared to 9.7" respectively. I personally don't think the two look alike at all, but again this proves that anyone can sue about anything. That really sucks for Samsung and Germany, the Samsung Galaxy is a great tablet device.

iSmug

System Name A black box
Processor AMD fx 8350
Motherboard Gigabyte 990fxa ud3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Kingston hyperx 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus directcu top HD5850
Storage random 250gb
Display(s) Philips 190b3
Case antec 200 v2
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Silverstone 600w strider essentials plus
Software Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores I once tagged my school desk.
I think Samsung is quite clever since the more products apple sell the more profit Samsung would gain too. The market demand different kinds of parties, some in charge of the tech and making products, the other in charge of decorating products and pleasing customers. However, we all know the one with real tech/ability would enjoy the lasting success.

For a recent news, German courts at first upheld Apple Inc.'s bid to block the sales of Samsung Electronic Co.'s Galaxy Tab 10.1N tablet. Apple said that the merchandise infringes on its iPad. But after Samsung made a few changes, that ban was changed on Thurs.

You can read this here: German court supports Samsung over Apple

Why oh why did you have to dig up this necro thread

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I think Samsung is quite clever since the more products apple sell the more profit Samsung would gain too. The market demand different kinds of parties, some in charge of the tech and making products, the other in charge of decorating products and pleasing customers. However, we all know the one with real tech/ability would enjoy the lasting success.

For a recent news, German courts at first upheld Apple Inc.'s bid to block the sales of Samsung Electronic Co.'s Galaxy Tab 10.1N tablet. Apple said that the merchandise infringes on its iPad. But after Samsung made a few changes, that ban was changed on Thurs.

You can read this here: German court supports Samsung over Apple

Thanks for the update. :toast: Yes, it looks like a little firmware update got round Apple's silly patents. :D