• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Portal 2 Weighted Companion Cube Subwoofer

Red_or_Dead

System Name the changeling
Processor intel core i7, 980X @ 4.4GHz HT
Motherboard Asus Rampage2Extreme, X58
Memory 12Gb DDR3 1600MHz 7-7-7-20-1T
Video Card(s) 2x HD7950OC 3072MB @ 1050/1600
Storage Corsair sandforce F40 and Force3 128Gb
Display(s) 28" 1920X1200
Case it's a box, I shit you not! an actual BOX! (for now)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply 850W Modular
Software Windows8 64bit
Benchmark Scores meh!
awesome

I too have a box for a PC case, no literally, a black and brown box, it looks shit, but only I will see it so thats cool :)

Splave

unbelievable craftsmanship

pic applies

Cube

Thanks Red_or_Dead and Splave, but I dunno Red.. add some cellophane and you got yourself some case mods!! ;) and where did you find a pic of me on the net Splave, identity theft lol

But on a more serious note, I'm thinking of adding this sub to my computer system which is evolving. Sound-wise I have a set of logitech z5500's but how to add the extra sub into the system.... I've been reading some forums and seems the best way is by adding a receiver into the mix. Sorta needing a reciever with optical in and out with sub out

Mac Pro ----> Reciever ---> z5500
---> companion cube
(via optical cable except reciever to sub)

Any thoughts....?

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
great work :)

if I may make a suggestion. a riser would decouple the Portal Cube from the ground and tighten up the lower frequencies. glossy white riser with blue and red led?

Cube

if I may make a suggestion. a riser would decouple the Portal Cube from the ground and tighten up the lower frequencies. glossy white riser with blue and red led?

I will have to think about something like that because you are correct in the coupling effect since the port is on the bottom side of the cube. Maybe I should make a calibration button riser :p

Went to Jaycar before and picked up the optical splitter and found an amp at JB's, couple cables later the system works great!! Now I just have to figure out and make this circuit for the sound reactive device to control the leds:)

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
ever work with arduino boards?

[yt]jt2diwf_-3Q[/yt]

imagine the possibilities!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cube

ever work with arduino boards?

imagine the possibilities!

I'm a carpenter by trade and have very little experience with electronics but I would love to have the cube light up like in the videos. I would have to redo the wiring :eek: but it would be worth it. Think I've got some research to do, can you post me some links?

I've been looking around at the arduino boards and there are quite a few to choose from, but I'm wondering where in the circuit does it go in my application..? Do you know much about them? There is 17 amps coming from the power source to the rings (3.4 amp each) and only 480 mA for all 24 bar/strip leds. Just wondering how much current can an arduino board handle? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D

Cube

I gotta say this Arduino board thing all sounds great but I can't seem to find the right information to implement it to my system. So far it seems to me that I will need a relay of some kind to power the Arduino without frying it from 20 amps but I'm confused on how from an individual pin connection on the Arduino board will give enough power to the led array (especially the rings 3.4amp) ....:confused:

Can anyone steer me in the right direction please? In the meantime I will try to research.

I found this online after some reading and this seems to be a solution, I would need quite a few of them or a bigger one with more outputs. I like the idea of it not being connected to the arduino (apart from the signal) and can power quite a bit. Correct me here if I am wrong but since I have 1 power source of 20 A, all these power FET switches would have to handle 20 A?? even though each array will draw far less than that if I connect 1 array per FET switch. The pic is of a 4 bank FET switch, but I would need 8 of these connected to 1 arduino, then 1 big long USB chord to run to the computer.. Plus I like the PWM feature of these switches, could add to the visual feast :)

Please tell me if there is something better out there

Attachments

• large_60_febb_mosfet4_2.jpg
    large_60_febb_mosfet4_2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:

Terry

Arduino to control displays, audio driven??

We are having some discussion about using Arduino and these FET switch cards to control complex LED displays like this.

The switch modules are good for about 10a per channel with a 12v supply (turns the fets on strongly).

One limitation is the number of PwM channels available on Arduino (6 of 14 I/o on the UNO/ 328 version, 14 of 54 on the Mega 1280/2560 version). These are for dimming LED channels, any I/O can turn simple on-off.

What about audio controlling the display?? Anyone seen arduino software to do this?? external filters could be used, but 'software in cheap'...

Regards, Terry King
...On the Mediterranean in Italy
terry@yourduino.com

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
this is sweet.

Cube

Arduino

So I ended up buying the arduino Mega and a bunch of mosfet fet's with cabling, some pics of the progress. I setup just 4 arrays as a test and it works great. It's taking some adjusting to fit the boards and power supply but I'm slowly getting there:ohwell:

you'll have to stitch the two pics together because my camera made it too high resolution to pull it down under 195.3kb

Ok so that layout was way too clustered and barely fit down the ratman den so I made a new one that worked much better and felt a bit cleaner on the organisation of all the arrays. I have mounted it but it will have to come back out soon to install a PWM shield for the arduino mega. I'm great at carpentry, getting better with electronics but programming :banghead::banghead::banghead: ...... Slowly muddling my way through it and understanding the language bit by bit. Especially when it came to making software PWM for even 1 array. :nutkick:
Hopefully it comes soon, the project is so close to finished now :D

oh and I added the aperture logo surrounding the port opening (just have to rub out my guide marks oops:roll:)

Attachments

• arduino setup 1.jpg
    arduino setup 1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 574
  • arduino setup 2.jpg
    arduino setup 2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 626
  • arduino setup 3.jpg
    arduino setup 3.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 489
  • arduino setup 4.jpg
    arduino setup 4.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 560
  • arduino setup 5.jpg
    arduino setup 5.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 534
  • companion cube 6.jpg
    companion cube 6.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:

Cube

riser

RISER:

Hey bumblebee, I had a riser made up from 20mm perspex. All polished up apart from the hole cut in the middle for port to breathe. I thought of engraving the face edge with 'the cake is a lie' a couple times but the light from the bottom ring and strips doesn't illuminate that edge that strong so I'm leaving it just as is. The sweet thing is it allows the light from those bottom face led arrays to be more visible and doubles as a riser :)

Just waiting on a PWM shield for the arduino to allow 32 PWM IO's and soon enough I will post another vid of the lights working

Attachments

• companion cube riser.jpg
    companion cube riser.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 513
  • companion cube 7.jpg
    companion cube 7.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 646