• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is PC gaming not as big as it once was?

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Very well, I stand corrected, CS:S reinvented nothing. But the series proves that PC is where the FPS genre was made, evolved, and matured. Consoles had nothing to do with FPS except ruining it.

Now people will argue the case for Halo which was essentially a dumbed down version of Quake\UT\etc. I can't wait until Second-Hand Sales become to the Consoles market what Piracy was to the PC market--A Scapegoat that is.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
bumblebee: the first FPS with regenerating health, was call of duty 2. sorry, halo copied it from another game.

(cant remember if #1 had health regen or not, sorry)

again, people just mistake 'first game to do X on console' with 'first game to do X'

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
bumblebee: the first FPS with regenerating health, was call of duty 2. sorry, halo copied it from another game.

again, people just mistake 'first game to do X on console' with 'first game to do X'

actually UT 99 had that capability

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
And think about it: the reason why more and more games switched to a health-regen system is because placing heals all over a map is downright annoying. You never know if you placed too much or not enough. It's just a big problem all around that's been there since the first video games. It's actually quite shocking it wasn't until the late 1990s that they finally decided to go with the self-healing routine.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
And think about it: the reason why more and more games switched to a health-regen system is because placing heals all over a map is downright annoying. You never know if you placed too much or not enough. It's just a big problem all around that's been there since the first video games. It's actually quite shocking it wasn't until the late 1990s that they finally decided to go with the self-healing routine.

A large reason was because that system was part of the challenge. A Game where you can just hide and easily regain your health is significantly less challenging than one that treas health as a finite resource.

System Name Betty The Dirty Dragon
Processor AMD 8350 @4.8
Motherboard ASUS sabertooth rev 2
Cooling Watercooling - Swiftech GTZ - XSPC RS360 - XSPC RX120
Memory 8GB corsair vengeance cas 9
Video Card(s) 280x 1100core 1600 mem
Storage 240 gb ssd- 2 tb Storage
Display(s) Samsung 24" 2433BW
Case Corsair 650d
Audio Device(s) Xfi Fatality Titanium Pro
Power Supply XFX 850 fully modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Ports >>>>>>>>>>>>>> end thread

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
I don't understand all that fuss about FarCry.

2004: 7 years ago, for it's time the graphics were amazing. I mean , back then Radeon x850's & 6800GT's were the norm for an enthusiast gamer....

http://techreport.com/articles.x/7679/8

Sorry, I don't see your point. I still think the graphics look decent in-game.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
A large reason was because that system was part of the challenge. A Game where you can just hide and easily regain your health is significantly less challenging than one that treas health as a finite resource.
Good point. It wasn't until more advanced AIs that would seek out a camper that regening could be used. They effectively go hand-in-hand. Early games had virtually nothing for an AI. Either they always targetted the player or they did something random.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/7679/8

Sorry, I don't see your point. I still think the graphics look decent in-game.

Well my point didn't change and I say that Xenus has better graphics, take a look

http://www.gamersgate.com/img/screenshots/DD-XENUS2/185332_68_medium.jpg

http://www.whitegold-game.com/files/Gallery//scr3/_m/WG_Akula.jpg

Xenus didn't have loading points (entire game was one whole giant location) and unlike farcry it had "save anywhere" system. And btw it was built and compiled much earlier than farcry, so no - for that time farcry wasn't the game with the most lush graphics. Yes it was much more popular than Xenus but being more popular doesn't mean being better

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
The PC ruled the roost in game sales until one game showed up: Halo.

Halo is what sold the original Xbox and what got sales going for MS. PS3 never was much more then a beefed up PS2 that most people didn't go for. Xbox brought not only games for the consoles (because of sales) but also games for PS3.

If you check the stats (forgot who does that research), you'll see that the year before Xbox came out, PC game sales were at current console levels. A year or two after Xbox release, PC games sales dropped through the floor.

Halo sold the Xbox. Without it, we could be looking at a different world as far as sales of games (in general) go.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Well my point didn't change and I say that Xenus has better graphics, take a look

http://www.gamersgate.com/img/screenshots/DD-XENUS2/185332_68_medium.jpg

http://www.whitegold-game.com/files/Gallery//scr3/_m/WG_Akula.jpg

Xenus didn't have loading points (entire game was one whole giant location) and unlike farcry it had "save anywhere" system. And btw it was built and compiled much earlier than farcry, so no - for that time farcry wasn't the game with the most lush graphics. Yes it was much more popular than Xenus but being more popular doesn't mean being better

I have heard of Xenus, but that wasn't the point. Xenus was still a PC exclusive and for EITHER title for it's time, amazing. If you took my post as derogatory, it wasnt meant to be taken that way. Sorry I didn't add a ":)" or a ":p" but now I will :D

Carry on :toast:

I have heard of Xenus, but that wasn't the point. Xenus was still a PC exclusive and for EITHER title for it's time, amazing. If you took my post as derogatory, it wasnt meant to be taken that way. Sorry I didn't add a ":)" or a ":p" but now I will :D

Carry on :toast:

Don't worry everythings fine :) I mean Xenus could get more buzz about it but unfortunately it didn't. People said it's too buggy I didn't encounter even a single bug there lol. If it didn't flop who knows maybe it'd even get released for xbox but I bet it'd got butchered right to the bone because no way xbox could handle it. The game is really big, without loading points lol it's a whole city in Columbia it has day and night cycles and your protagonist can sleep, for example if you want a nighttime just select sleep until midnight (some missions require nighttime) and you can go anywhere and do anything. You can try to play this game it's pretty cheap and even for today standards it's pretty kickass (graphics and system requirements :) My point was that if there were more cool pc games like this even all the haters couldn't drag pc gaming down.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
she's saying you can't rent a console that cheaply any more, that era ended 15 years ago.

You mean it only ended selectively in certain countries. :rolleyes:

Dammit Jim, why can't you understand? <shakes shoulders>

the video stores that haven't gone out of business no longer rent consoles out. maybe in the Philippines they do but not in Canada.

Which is partly (mostly) your fault, considering how consumption-driven you are, even though you're in debt. You in the general sense of the "first world person."

I guess Asia-Pacific is still the "best" place for gaming. We have access for games from both Japan and the West, we have gaming computers, you can rent consoles, you can play on arcades, etc.

System Name Frankenstein
Processor Ryzen 9 5800X
Motherboard Asrock Z570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 2 x 16 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3200mhz
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon RX 6900 XT WC
Storage Corsair MP600 + 2xSamsung 860 Evo + Samsung 950 Pro + Others
Display(s) ROG SWIFT PG278Q
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine A5+ White
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1300W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro
Does a console play either of those games maxed out? I mean really, lets compare consoles play Crysis 2 on DX9 with low settings to a PC you want to play maxed out on DX11 for cheap, that makes absolutely zero sense. As I have said the entire time, stop comparing consoles to PC's playing the games at max settings, because consoles do not play maxed out.
man you are the one speaking about maxed out, not me... I made a PC that can run all games at 1080P and thats it!!
And what list are you talking about?
I was referring the the list of PC parts I made...
And I do care about monitor, simply because, I have a $650 TV and my PC monitor only cost $300, it's a massive difference.
Hell, I use the same Monitor for my PC and My PS3 so thats why I don't care about TV/Monitor difference
Hey you're from Mozambique! I sent you money via western union to get your rich uncle out of jail and now I see you buying video games with it?!? WTF! I think I've been had!
:wtf: :banghead:
Drivers are easy to obtain and usually most devices today are just plug and play. Plug it in and your good to go. Also what's with the compatibly? Just make sure what ever game/hardware you get is Windows 7 ready or supports your OS and bam... your good to go.
yeah... right... :rolleyes:
than you have graphic corruption on one game or your controllers don't work with a certain game or the game just randomly crashes and you have to wait a million years for a patch.
Face it, its way more likely for you to have a problem with Hardware/Drivers/Compatibility on a pc than you having problems like this on Consoles
Would've done you better if you helped your country out of it's debts.
:roll:
LAN ? Internet ? And I believe most multi-platform online multiplayer games have servers that hold more players on PC than their Console servers.
LAN, Internet.... More computers... more cost... complex logistics :banghead:
in a PS3 you can play with 7 friends...
i might just go back and think about that,but regardless, it's about subjective opinion and expectations.
we saw the original doom era, we saw counter strike era, and the half life era as well... we know how good a game CAN be. so when we see a game like Halo or Gears being touted as #1, we can't help but roll our eyes in disgust as it's really very bland compared to what could have been done with good sci fi story-lines and today's technology.
consoles gamers are used to crap. what are the best every console games? now measure them solely on depth and originality. and now compare that to the history of pc games.
even if it's 1:1, there were simply more pc games and so more were original unique and ... good.
and exclusivity and FPS are unnecessary modifiers anyway. especially without how many series started on pc and sold their souls.
can you give me PC games better than Metal Gear Solid 4 or Gran Turismo 5 or Final Fantasy XIII or Final Fantasy XII or MotorStorm?
surely you ment HD console(ps3) as i dont personally count the 360s upscaled mediocraty to be hd:)
Point taken :D

#1 didn't have regen health... you had to get the 1st aid packs...;)

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403

Looking around, it seems Tribes 1 did it first, which is November 1998, far far far before Halo. Either way I agree.

man you are the one speaking about maxed out, not me... I made a PC that can run all games at 1080P and thats it!!

Then why did you ask if that build can play those games maxed out? And you don't need a $200 processor or $300 videocard to play at 1080p, or $100 RAM (based off your original price list with no details). If you want to play at console like settings, you can build a much worse computer and still play at 1080p just fine. Like I said, most consoles are even frame capped to 30 fps.

I was referring the the list of PC parts I made...

The original price list only? Or the list you made in the bottom of your post (after you had already responded to me?)

Hell, I use the same Monitor for my PC and My PS3 so thats why I don't care about TV/Monitor difference

Some people do that, but a majority don't. I can think of 2 people I know that do this (in person). And probably 30+ that just them on separate tv/monitors.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
yeah... right... :rolleyes:
than you have graphic corruption on one game or your controllers don't work with a certain game or the game just randomly crashes and you have to wait a million years for a patch.
Face it, its way more likely for you to have a problem with Hardware/Drivers/Compatibility on a pc than you having problems like this on Consoles
:roll:

Graphics corruption ? I'd take a game with decent graphics and a very small risk of having "graphics corruption" rather than a watered down version with crap textures and no risk of corruption.
Game randomly crashes ? Aside from glitches -that even console games aren't immune of- It's rare for a game to crash under normal circumstances. If all the components are working probably and the sys requirements for the games are met any game has a very slim chances of crashing. Nearly all the game crashes I heard of happened because if a bad OC/system not meeting the requirement/ or even a bad HDD.
As for patches taking "a million years", I don't know where you got that from. Deus Ex: HR patch was released 3 days after it was released.

I agree you don't have that problem with consoles, but at what cost ? Dropping backward compatibility. Can you run FFVII disc on a PS3 ? Or a Zelda Ocarina of Time on a Wii ? I can still play the original Deus Ex and Doom on my PC !

LAN, Internet.... More computers... more cost... complex logistics :banghead:
in a PS3 you can play with 7 friends...

To play through internet you'll need more consoles. And multiplayer games on a single console comes at the cost of splitting the screen. The only exception is arcade style fighting games. And the ones on PC can also be played on a single machine. SF:IV ?

can you give me PC games better than Metal Gear Solid 4 or Gran Turismo 5 or Final Fantasy XIII or Final Fantasy XII or MotorStorm?

MGS and GT are one of the few console originals that can still be called a decent video game.
As for Final Fantasy, jRPGs has been on consoles since for ever. There has been a few ones on PC, but the sub-genre is mostly console bound. even so, Final Fantasy has been heading for the gutters since Square merged with Enix. FFXII might have restored some of the former glory of the series, but it still far from reaching the levels of FFVI, VII & VIII.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Agreed, I don't like MGS or FF personally, but GT and Motorstorm are great. But as far as racing goes iRacing > GT. And I would say Dirt 3 is as good as MS, but it's cross platform. And FPS + RPGs are what own on PC, compare any of the Betheseda games on PC to console (modding makes such a large difference) or Bad Company 2 (soon to be BF3) from PC to console.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
I agree you don't have that problem with consoles, but at what cost ? Dropping backward compatibility. Can you run FFVII disc on a PS3 ? Or a Zelda Ocarina of Time on a Wii ? I can still play the original Deus Ex and Doom on my PC !

Generally speaking, when failure occurs on Consoles it means the system is dead and needs to be replaced--RRoD etc. I remember reading the hardware failure rate on Xbox 360's was well over 50%, which is pretty sad. The PS3 is not much better actually, but it wasn't nearly as high. So assuming over the 7 years the 360 has been out, you've had to replace it twice, you're left paying $600-800 on the same damn hardware over several years. Doesn't seem to great a deal to me.

As for backwards compatability goes; You actually can play any PS1 games on any PS3. You cannot however play any PS2 games on anything but 1st-Gen PS3's. Ocarina of Time is also available on the Wii Market\Arcade, but that involves buying the game again. One cannot deny the PC Platform is excellent when it comes to backward compatability, but you definitely have to work at it with most older titles.

As for Final Fantasy, jRPGs has been on consoles since for ever. There has been a few ones on PC, but the sub-genre is mostly console bound. even so, Final Fantasy has been heading for the gutters since Square merged with Enix. FFXII might have restored some of the former glory of the series, but it still far from reaching the levels of FFVI, VII & VIII.

FFX was the last real FF game in my mind. XII was a major disappointment, and XIII was laughable. FFXIII was literally interactive eye-candy. The story was trash, the characters sucked, and the gameplay was just bland.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
This thread finally needs the truth to be told: PC still rock because consoles do not have the needed keys, simple and clear:

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
I can't think of anything funny to say about eHarmony :(

and Call of Duty 2 came out 4 years after Halo.

Deus Ex had health regeneration if you bought the augment.

Halo: Combat Evolved was the first FPS to remove the health bar or percentage all together and now it's a standard.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
CoD 2 might have came out 4 years later, but Halo 1 came out 3 years after Tribes 1, which had regenerating health, and Tribes 1 came out 1.5 years before Deus Ex 1.

As far as health bars, do you mean in multiplayer? Because I remember playing Medal of Honor 1 and not seeing health bars. All of these games still have internal health bars anyways, you just can't see them.

Halo: Combat Evolved was the first FPS to remove the health bar or percentage all together and now it's a standard.

Halo does have health bars which can be replenished by medkits. Force shield recharges by itself

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
there is a mode the PC pioneered in Unreal Tournament 2003 that is now standard. anyone want to guess what it is? :p

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
there is a mode the PC pioneered in Unreal Tournament 2003 that is now standard. anyone want to guess what it is? :p

big head mode? :p