• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elder Scrolls V SKYRIM !! 11-11-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
It is said that SKYRIM is going to be the greatest Graphical Masterpiece in existence for a Video Game.
And it's nice to see it grace the PC, knowing you need the PC copy to experience it's fullness. :toast:

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
Nothing beats the original MYST.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional
It is said that SKYRIM is going to be the greatest Graphical Masterpiece in existence for a Video Game.
And it's nice to see it grace the PC, knowing you need the PC copy to experience it's fullness. :toast:

For something that plays on the xbox, in 720p, upscaled to 1080, sure. 'They' can say whatever they want about that. I want 2560x1600 native engine resolution. :ohwell:

Benetanegia

Ugh, I don't know why I clicked that link. I spotted something I don't like even one bit: enemies appear in the compass just like in Fallout, which is completely stupid for TES. That's what detect life spell is for ffs!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead:

It's those little details that might ruin Skyrim for me. :shadedshu

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Ugh, I don't know why I clicked that link. I spotted something I don't like even one bit: enemies appear in the compass just like in Fallout, which is completely stupid for TES. That's what detect life spell is for ffs!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead:

It's those little details that might ruin Skyrim for me. :shadedshu

Ummm, that indicator was also in Oblivion and only works for enemies you have already engaged in combat. I am sure what a maguffin has hit you in the head with someone else's head, you will take note of their immediate location. Detect Life on the other hand worked through walks and detected everything in a certain radius whether you could see it or not.

So calm down and pay attention.

P.S. Magicka creators Arrowhead Studios should sue Bethesda for using the word "magicka" just like they sued The Mind Craft guy.

Benetanegia

Ummm, that indicator was also in Oblivion and only works for enemies you have already engaged in combat.

Hmmm. NO. It doesn't. I've been playing Oblivion until like... umm 1 minute ago.

I am sure what a maguffin has hit you in the head with someone else's head, you will take note of their immediate location. Detect Life on the other hand worked through walks and detected everything in a certain radius whether you could see it or not.

So calm down and pay attention.

Don't patronize thank you, at least until you get your facts straight. Plus if an enemy hits me I'll know because, if he is standing next to me... umm I can see him?? idk maybe? Or if he was hidden and used a ranged attack... like I don't want to know where he is, because I simply shouldn't be able to?

This shit kills immersion. In Fallout it makes some sense since it's part of the skills/attributes, but in TES there's detect life for that purpose. TES fans we don't need that kid cuddling + consolitis shit thank you very much.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Hmmm. NO. It doesn't. I've been playing Oblivion until like... umm 1 minute ago.

Don't patronize thank you, at least until you get your facts straight. Plus if an enemy hits me I'll know because, if he is standing next to me... umm I can see him?? idk maybe? Or if he was hidden and used a ranged attack... like I don't want to know where he is, because I simply shouldn't be able to?

This shit kills immersion. In Fallout it makes some sense since it's part of the skills/attributes, but in TES there's detect life for that purpose. TES fans we don't need that kid cuddling + consolitis shit thank you very much.

It to make up for real life things like a human beings sense of danger, sense of motion, and sense of placement. If someone hits you with a bat, then moves behind you, you know approximately where he is. You can do this in a game, so the ability is simulated.

You are correct that Oblivion did not do this. I will give you that. Though you should take note this is THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL. They have to explain everything, even if it only applies to special situations. This is to avoid confusing the stupid. For all we know, those indicators on come up after you cast something like Detect Life or some ability like Sense of the Dragon. The point being that no one knows and I can make up BS all I want. Thats why this is a forum. :)

Benetanegia

It to make up for real life things like a human beings sense of danger, sense of motion, and sense of placement. If someone hits you with a bat, then moves behind you, you know approximately where he is. You can do this in a game, so the ability is simulated.

You are correct that Oblivion did not do this. I will give you that. Though you should take note this is THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL. They have to explain everything, even if it only applies to special situations. This is to avoid confusing the stupid. For all we know, those indicators on come up after you cast something like Detect Life or some ability like Sense of the Dragon. The point being that no one knows and I can make up BS all I want. Thats why this is a forum. :)

Again... if I'm fighting someone I'll know where he is don't need that stupid thing. And anyway wanna bet that it's not what you say but exactly like in Fallout 3? In fact IT IS 100% like in F3. I can make things up too.

EDIT: My "rage" is not directed at that single feature btw, it's because I know of many other similar things, plus dozens that I still don't know about yet, but I'm sure will be there. Games being constantly dumbed down is a fact, a trend, and I have full rights to be mad about that. The gaming crowd is more and more mature, as we grow up, but there's almost literally 0 games for mature people. We have the buying power, the money and they don't make games for us, also they dumb down the ones that in the past were sorta as mature, yet they cannot figure out why they don't sell many games as they want (specially on PC)? Kids pirate because they have no money and you don't fucking create games for the ones who can pay for them, that's why.

Last edited:
System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Again... if I'm fighting someone I'll know where he is don't need that stupid thing. And anyway wanna bet that it's not what you say but exactly like in Fallout 3? In fact IT IS 100% like in F3. I can make things up too.

There you go. Now we are on the same page. Until the game is released, its all just guess work and conjecture. Hell, they admitted the UI was going to be overhauled after they let some people play the game at E3 or Pax or something. So honestly, screenshots of the game and information about the UI is now bunk as it may no longer be true. Hell, this manual could just be a mock and half these indicators could be BS.

Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
How long does it take someone to beat Skyrim who knows the game like the back of their hand? Well that question had now been answered. (This spoiler contains no story line info, or anything else, it's just about 1 QA guy vs 1 Dev from Bethesda going at it)

The speedrun is my World Cup or Olympics, it’s my favorite event that comes every three or four years.” – Todd Howard

As tradition goes, when Bethesda Game Studios is close to wrapping up development on a title, we hold a speedrun competition through the main quest (with no cheats allowed). While the game will take many hours to complete for a first-time players, our developers have years of experience under their belts and know all the ins and outs for speeding through the game. The contest pits the best Bethesda Game Studios has to offer vs. the best of QA The person with the best time wins a trophy and gets a pie of their choice from Todd Howard.

When it came time to crown the Skyrim champion, two familiar faces rose to the occasion: Sam “I Am” Bernstein (QA) and Jeff “Live the Dream” Browne (BGS) — the very same combatants from the Fallout 3 speedrun three years back. Loyal blog readers might recall I said the match was as close as Michael Phelps .01 second escape in the 2008 Summer Games.

If Fallout 3′s speed run was that close, the Skyrim contest was… well, I can’t think of something closer than that Michael Phelps race. But this one was crazier — crazy like the final minute of this year’s Michigan-Notre Dame game.

At the beginning of the Skyrim speedrun, I asked Sam how long he anticipated it would take. He predicted two hours, fifteen minutes. He wasn’t far off. In the end, Jeff Browne finished the game first with an impressive time of minutes 2:16:30.

Congrats to Jeff, right? WRONG! 58 minutes into the competition, Sam had to roll back to an earlier save (ruled fair by the judging committee), so we had to wait several minutes after Jeff completed the main quest to compare their final times. Despite taking a totally different route to get to the endgame (in the Fallout 3 speedrun, they had virtually the same game plan), Sam’s time was 2:16:10 — 20 seconds faster than Jeff!!

For Jeff, it’s a heartbreaking loss. He’s the Buffalo Bills of speedruns (and he actually roots for the Bills). But no matter what, Jeff Browne is awesome.

And for the second game, congrats to Sam on being the Speedrun Champion! He showed the heart of a champion and will be celebrating later this month with a pumpkin pie from Todd Howard..

Update: Folks are asking how the Skyrim speedrun stacks up to previous competitions.The Skyrim speedrun took just over an hour more than both Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Source

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Cooling Stock Air
I really want to hate this game (for some reason), but I will end up pre-ordering it next friday anyways. I have a soft spot for Bethesda. The main plot better involve more class warfare and faction warfare than oblivion did. Morrowind shit all over Oblivion in that department. The factions were useless and not related to the main quest at all in Oblivion :(

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Cooling Stock Air
Pre-ordered because Max von Sydow.

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64
Who did FOVegas?....they seemed to get gameplay right, and also got difficulty levels right as well.
There's every reason to think Skyrim will be good, the only question is will it be great or hampered by consolitis.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Who did FOVegas?....they seemed to get gameplay right, and also got difficulty levels right as well.
There's every reason to think Skyrim will be good, the only question is will it be great or hampered by consolitis.

Obsidian did F:NV.

And it will suffer consolitis, the question is how bad. Betheseda have came flat out and said the engine was made for console, but have also held strong on the modding front. So one bad thing and one good thing. Even being built as a console engine though, it's most likely going to be an improvement, simply because the previous engine is almost a decade old, even a console engine can be put to better use now.

System Name Grond
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Haven't played FO:NV because of Obsidian's involvement. They have great ideas, but usually poor execution.
Is it actually worth playing? Might pick it up and give it a go before Skyrim comes out.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
I had fun with NV, I know some liked FO3 better. But I prefer NV. Though with how close Skyrim is, I personally wouldn't start a game that has that much to do and time you could sink in.

System Name Grond
Good point. Will wait for the Steam winter sale and grab it cheap though.

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Case Antec 1100
Software W7 64
Haven't played FO:NV because of Obsidian's involvement. They have great ideas, but usually poor execution.
Is it actually worth playing? Might pick it up and give it a go before Skyrim comes out.

FOVegas has better gameplay, and if you add the NCM 4gig dl extracted to 7gig texture pack, you have quite a beautiful game at times, certainly better than vanilla.

Vegas also has weapons and ammo mods, so u can turn a lowly pea shooter into something relatively powerful, and there's like 6-7 sniper rifles, including the "anti material rifle" with 50cal bullets.....and you'll need them to take on the billion deathclaws in the game.

There's also a number of grenade launchers, and these mofo's can also be upgraded+Vegas has huge difficulty levels, so if you want to put yourself under extreme pressure, you can.

No one could play Vegas and like it and then just forget about FO3, that's crazy, both games are epic, but Vegas has better weapons, and higher difficulty if u want to engage it.

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Case Antec 1100
Software W7 64
but have also held strong on the modding front. So one bad thing and one good thing. .

Sounds good.....it'll also be interesting to see what they've done with lighting at night etc.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Is the PC version of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim being ported over from the Console version? I bloody Hope Not. How on earth can you create such a game on an inferior setup when the PC is over 10x more powerful and graphical?

System Name Grond
Because that's how Zenimax rolls. They know consoles are a huge market and they(console users) are more used to shelling out $$$ for DLC than PC users. It's easier to develop for a targeted platform than it us to try to optimize for the wide range of PC configurations available.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Is the PC version of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim being ported over from the Console version? I bloody Hope Not. How on earth can you create such a game on an inferior setup when the PC is over 10x more powerful and graphical?

Indeed. We often state (and chuckle over) the same thing over in the BF3 Clubhouse.

Because that's how Zenimax rolls. They know consoles are a huge market and they(console users) are more used to shelling out $$$ for DLC than PC users. It's easier to develop for a targeted platform than it us to try to optimize for the wide range of PC configurations available.

Of course, it's all about money and market share. As I've said before I can't blame the devs and publishers it's just that it sucks when PC users get the shaft as a result. This title and BF3 are kind of the exceptions to the rule in terms of PC focus and superiority of product, unfortunately.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Read this if you want some insight into consoles vs. PC in game development.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled

Yep, thats how they are doing it. But it's not really surprising as they had been using an aged engine for a long time anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.