• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 990x

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
hmmm i think it would be close from what ive seen. 4 cores vs 6 cores + hyper threading. Hmmmm

Yes it might be close, but the 2500K is still better... Not to mention 300$ cheaper

As I said, 425$ is probably the max that most would pay. People in the tech community will pay even less because they know the true performance of i7 990X and the OC potential as well

BTW, there is an EDIT button to prevent any 2x posting

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Isn't it really obnoxious when people come into your hypothetical thread and hassle you about how you're wasting your money? I've had people get so angry in threads of mine where I was asking hypothetical questions for expensive builds. They just don't like the fact that someone else is buying expensive things they can't afford 99% of the time, and that jealousy projects outwards as angry "advice".

Anyways back on topic. I was thinking about buying a 980x before the 990 was released, but I found a deal on my 970 really cheap and just overclocked it and put it on water. Now, if I didn't have the 970 I would probably pay about $500 for the 990x. I would do this even knowing that SB outperforms it and IB is just around the corner, because I'm still going to build an LGA 2011 machine. I just really like the extreme edition chips, and it would be worth the money to play with, to me. If you can get it for $400 or less I would go for it man. You only live once, and it's a really fun chip. My 970 has been quite amazing, and it's the reason why I never built a personal sandy bridge rig. *edit* I also didn't build a sandy bridge rig because I don't trust the platform. I'm fine waiting for the next gen EE chips.

Can't wait for LGA 2011 extreme edition chips to come out, because that's my next build most definitely :D

Oh and I saw a comment about how the 970 can't do 4.4GHz by n-ster? Totally incorrect. I've hit 4.4 with HT on my 970 on water before. Maybe 4.2 only on air? My 970 is easier to OC than my 950, and my 950 can do 4.4GHz also, just takes a lot more voltage. I run them at 4.0 most of the time though, because any higher is pointless for my daily use. I also use speedstep so, lol.

Last edited:

stargazer7

Isn't it really obnoxious when people come into your hypothetical thread and hassle you about how you're wasting your money? I've had people get so angry in threads of mine where I was asking hypothetical questions for expensive builds. They just don't like the fact that someone else is buying expensive things they can't afford 99% of the time, and that jealousy projects outwards as angry "advice".

Anyways back on topic. I was thinking about buying a 980x before the 990 was released, but I found a deal on my 970 really cheap and just overclocked it and put it on water. Now, if I didn't have the 970 I would probably pay about $500 for the 990x. I would do this even knowing that SB outperforms it and IB is just around the corner, because I'm still going to build an LGA 2011 machine. I just really like the extreme edition chips, and it would be worth the money to play with, to me. If you can get it for $400 or less I would go for it man. You only live once, and it's a really fun chip. My 970 has been quite amazing, and it's the reason why I never built a personal sandy bridge rig.

really? should i start taking pics of my room full of hardware? you're making yourself look silly. i'm trying to make this guy save money and not act stupidly. you're suggesting the guy a $400-500 chip thats NOT worth it by any means. so you're simply giving him horrible advice. read the thread from the op to educate yourself, seriously.

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
really? should i start taking pics of my room full of hardware? you're making yourself look silly. i'm trying to make this guy save money and not act stupidly. you're suggesting the guy a $400-500 chip thats NOT worth it by any means. so you're simply giving him horrible advice. read the thread from the op to educate yourself, seriously.

Why in the world would I want you to do that? I was addressing the guy who opened this thread, and no one else. I do have to say though, your response shows that you have some serious emotions going on and you saw yourself in my post apparently. That's the only reason I can figure that you replied to me directly when I wasn't addressing you...

If you want to show off your hardware there are several threads better suited for that. I'm not interested.

He's not asking for advice on whether or not to buy the chip. He's an adult and realizes the ramifications of buying such a piece of equipment. It is YOU who doesn't understand.

What advice did I give him exactly? He asked my opinion and I gave it to him. At least I answered his question truthfully and without judgement. I can't say any of the same for you.

Your anger doesn't translate well through the internet, and especially not to someone like me. You're wasting your time trying to "educate" me.

Oh btw, stop dragging his thread off topic. It's a mess because of your "advice".

Thanks!

Anyway enough of this bickering im just guna watch this 990x and if it gets to much i aint getting it. The whole idea of this thread was to c how much people would pay 4 one NOTHING else.

no, its not. this is the only way the op could change his mind. with a little thinking, thats not hard to guess. read back the thread. as for me not understanding, i run an x58 WS Pro with a Xeon so i clearly understand a whole lot more than you think i happen to on this platform. with a top-of-the-line Sandy board and a chip coming in at the same price, the OP has ZERO reason to get a gulftown unless he absolutely wants to himself. which is what i had to settle down with, and it was obvious from the start. he made up his mind to on blowing away money, on inferior hardware. so stop backing up your arguement on suggesting him a gulftown. like they say, GIGO. look that up.

Again, I'm not interested in your hardware or knowledge. The entire point of this thread is that the OP wants a gulftown, period. He has made it quite clear he's not interested in SB, and he's said several times that's not going to change. He's just asking for a hypothetical price. I even edited in a little excerpt from page 2 of this thread. It would do you well to read it.

Last edited:

stargazer7

no, its not. this is the only way the op could change his mind. with a little thinking, thats not hard to guess. read back the thread. as for me not understanding, i run an x58 WS Pro with a Xeon so i clearly understand a whole lot more than you think i happen to on this platform. with a top-of-the-line Sandy board and a chip coming in at the same price, the OP has ZERO reason to get a gulftown unless he absolutely wants to himself. which is what i had to settle down with, and it was obvious from the start. he made up his mind to on blowing away money, on inferior hardware. so stop backing up your arguement on suggesting him a gulftown. like they say, GIGO. look that up.

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
I don't know what the problem is! I may have slightly different reasons why I buy older gen hardware, well I'm poor and used parts tend to be much cheaper, but I also understand the desire to get to play with high end hardware that you could never afford brand new. When you get bored of it, and the next gen stuff starts getting sold off used, you upgrade! And considering this is a hardware forum, where people build ridiculously overpowered rigs... because they can... jeez.

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
I don't know what the problem is! I may have slightly different reasons why I buy older gen hardware, well I'm poor and used parts tend to be much cheaper, but I also understand the desire to get to play with high end hardware that you could never afford brand new. When you get bored of it, and the next gen stuff starts getting sold off used, you upgrade! And considering this is a hardware forum, where people build ridiculously overpowered rigs... because they can... jeez.

See my first post in this thread. There are always a couple guys who just hate it when someone is buying something expensive like this. In this case he's just asking how much people would pay. They will justify their reasons with any means necessary. I actually think sometimes they are doing it subconsciously and don't even realize it. They are doing it under the guise of giving "advice". Unrelenting, and antagonizing advice...

Either get back on topic or the thread will be closed. PM the OP advice if you feel like you have to. Good luck to the OP on the bidding, also!

Last edited:

stargazer7

that's not the case here. sandy takes the lead open beyond x58, so there's NO reason to choose it for games. even for some threaded apps, x58 still gets owned to sandy

ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/intel-ci7-limits-p1.html

Again, I'm not interested in your hardware or knowledge. The entire point of this thread is that the OP wants a gulftown, period. He has made it quite clear he's not interested in SB, and he's said several times that's not going to change. He's just asking for a hypothetical price. I even edited in a little excerpt from page 2 of this thread. It would do you well to read it.

and my entire point is the gulftown is a WASTE of money, period. when the better option is available, this guy is willing to shoot himself on the foot. i'm NOT going to let this happen until i'm convinced this guy doesnt change his idea. your making yourself look dumb. i'm trying to help this guy using force cause he isnt going to change his idea otherwise. i'm not hating gulftown, the Sandy chip is BETTER. take it to your head, it doesnt take it. too hard for you, isnt it?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
your making yourself look dumb. i'm trying to help this guy using force cause he isnt going to change his idea otherwise.

Let me address two things here:

No one is any dumber than anyone else, it just takes time to make some people understand.

No need to force yourself, and I don't advise you continue to do so. If you make good points and provide backing to your assertions, it is the fault of the buyer and there is little you can do from your keyboard about it.

To everyone:

Please keep this civil! Let's all have hugs, do some shots, and get along!

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Thanks lordjummy for your input. Its much appreciated. I really would like the 990x for my first extreme editon( without paying to much of course) but if i can get a cheap 970 that would be half decent aswell. Whats your highest oc on the 970? Thanks mate.:toast:

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Thanks lordjummy for your input. Its much appreciated. I really would like the 990x for my first extreme editon( without paying to much of course) but if i can get a cheap 970 that would be half decent aswell. Whats your highest oc on the 970? Thanks mate.:toast:

I've gone a bit over 4.4 (trivial), but I haven't tried to push it any higher. Too afraid of killing it lol. It hits 4.4 with HT on without too much trouble, but I run it at 4.0 24/7 as anything above that is totally unnecessary. I've contemplated just running it at 3.8 as it allows me to go with drastically lower vcore and much better temps on average.

NP for the support. I totally understood what you were trying to do. Been there :)

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)

Anyways back on topic. I was thinking about buying a 980x before the 990 was released, but I found a deal on my 970 really cheap and just overclocked it and put it on water. Now, if I didn't have the 970 I would probably pay about $500 for the 990x. I would do this even knowing that SB outperforms it and IB is just around the corner, because I'm still going to build an LGA 2011 machine. I just really like the extreme edition chips, and it would be worth the money to play with, to me. If you can get it for $400 or less I would go for it man. You only live once, and it's a really fun chip. My 970 has been quite amazing, and it's the reason why I never built a personal sandy bridge rig. *edit* I also didn't build a sandy bridge rig because I don't trust the platform. I'm fine waiting for the next gen EE chips.

Can't wait for LGA 2011 extreme edition chips to come out, because that's my next build most definitely :D

Oh and I saw a comment about how the 970 can't do 4.4GHz by n-ster? Totally incorrect. I've hit 4.4 with HT on my 970 on water before. Maybe 4.2 only on air? My 970 is easier to OC than my 950, and my 950 can do 4.4GHz also, just takes a lot more voltage. I run them at 4.0 most of the time though, because any higher is pointless for my daily use. I also use speedstep so, lol.

I usually go with on air numbers by accident sometimes, my point was that:

1. You aren't going to achieve miracles just because it is 32nm
2. It OCs almost as well as the 9xx X versions, and that Xtreme CPUs are overrated and don't add much to the OC.

I see that you make a remark about how some people act in a thread, then use the "haha you see yourself in that remark" comment.... OF COURSE, me and him were the only ones in the thread. My first posts was exactly what he asked. After the issue of if he needs it was brought up (or maybe I brought it up?) then I started talking. If I were him, I would want someone to tell me it might not be for me etc. How are we supposed to know he knows any of this? I prefer to beat a dead horse to make sure he is dead, than not beat it and later find out he was raped by it. K weird analogy but :p

He also mentioned he wanted "the BEST" which promptly make me realize that perhaps SB-E is best for him. I just DONT like it when people spend more of their hard earned money on something that is less useful for him and something that is cheaper! I'd feel bad if I didn't tell him his other options and he bought something he didn't really fit his need, when something else that is better all-around is available, and for half the price. I feel especially close to this matter because I almost bought an i7 970 many times

Last edited:

johnspack

Here For Good!
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Keyboard Ducky
If I find a 970 for 200 or so used, I'll pounce on it! It's fun old tech to play with. When I can buy an sb-e cpu for 200, I'll buy that. For now, all I can get is 26/700k and it will cost me over 500 bucks minimum(inc new mobo). It's nice and all, but I'll wait for sb-e owners to sell off for ivy bridge cpus ect. I guess charge cards must be nice....

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Last edited:

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
LOL the cpu is up to $721 aussie dollars with 20 hours left. Its a no no 4 me. Spuwen, i was willing to pay $500 for a sic cpu. Somebodys keen to have it!!

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
Yep thought so, if I had the money I'd outbid that! Fun cpu to get if you can.....

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
I have had two i7 970's and they are a sweet cpu! The one I still have, I used to bench @ 4.72GHz:

Most of the time it is just crunching all twelve threads for WCG @ 4.0GHz (1.24V). Runs cool and overclocks really well. But maybe I was just lucky. The other i7 970 I had was just a cruncher and I never really tried to overclock it.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
U think ill be fine with a 970? Coz if i do i wanna get sum high numbers. What revision did/do u have?

Sry i looked at your screen shot. Are they all b1?

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
They are/were both B1 revisions/

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
And I would say hell yes to the 970, will oc quite well, and a buttload cheaper than the 980x 990x series. But if you can find a 990x for a good price.....

johnspack

Here For Good!
Keyboard Ducky
Use tighter timings for a 1st gen i7, will do much more than extra speed...

yummy! and iv got a much faster cpu coming.....
Some cpu results, I really need my faster i7 for this....

It's all about how you tweak your system. A 2600k system in the wrong hands
could mean a slow system. A first gen i7 system could scream in comparison....

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs

You have a freakin W3570... You are not poor.

I agree, it is nice to buy used parts for something you can't afford otherwise, especially high-end hardware. Except there is one problem... You would be buying LOWER END HARDWARE for a HIGHER FREAKIN PRICE. Go play with the newer more power efficient more upgradable more powerful hardware for half the price... HALF THE PRICE

If I find a 970 for 200 or so used, I'll pounce on it! It's fun old tech to play with. When I can buy an sb-e cpu for 200, I'll buy that. For now, all I can get is 26/700k and it will cost me over 500 bucks minimum(inc new mobo). It's nice and all, but I'll wait for sb-e owners to sell off for ivy bridge cpus ect. I guess charge cards must be nice....

If I find an i7 970 for 200$ I would buy it too... If I found a Ferrari Enzo at 1000$ I'd buy it too. It ain't gonna happen anytime soon, what are you smokin? You can buy an i5 2500K at 200$ if you want and a P67 or a Z68 board for 90$. That is under 300$! Why would SB-E owner sell off ivy bridge CPUs? :confused:

Yep thought so, if I had the money I'd outbid that! Fun cpu to get if you can.....

That would be idiotic... Buy a CPU worth 500$ for 800$ that will perform exactly the same for your uses... :banghead: Because paying 200~300$ LESS on a FREAKING SB-E UNLOCKED HEXACORE or 200$ more for a SB-E XTREME PROCESSOR is not a better deal either. Not to mention you could buy 4* i5 2500Ks. :wtf: Is everything alright in there?

And I would say hell yes to the 970, will oc quite well, and a buttload cheaper than the 980x 990x series. But if you can find a 990x for a good price.....

Does it make sense to buy a used Civic 2009 for DOUBLE the price of a brand new Civic 2010 ? No ... Same thing should go for X58 vs SB for him. Does it make sense to pay 150$ for a CPU the OCs only a bit better than the other? No That is i7 970 vs 990X

Use tighter timings for a 1st gen i7, will do much more than extra speed...
http://img.techpowerup.org/111028/ram1.png
http://img.techpowerup.org/111028/ram2.png
yummy! and iv got a much faster cpu coming.....
Some cpu results, I really need my faster i7 for this....
http://img.techpowerup.org/111028/cpu1.png
http://img.techpowerup.org/111028/cpu2.png
It's all about how you tweak your system. A 2600k system in the wrong hands
could mean a slow system. A first gen i7 system could scream in comparison....

K so you are comparing a W3570 clocked at 3818Mhz With DDR3 RAM 1700 cl8 vs a i7 2600K with DDR3 1333 cl9 and you brag about the W3570 being faster in some tests? (memory speed READ and PhotoWorxx). Also note that in Memory Write the 2600K equals it and in CPU Queen and surpasses it. Now OC that 2600K to 3818 and put 1700 cl8 RAM on it and see it destroy the W3570. Also note that the i7 2600K can OC MUCH BETTER than your W3570.

It's like comparing the Civic 2009 with a Civic 2010 Si, but you limit the 2010 to have only 80% throttle. Yea OK now compare 2009 and 2010 Si when they both have the gas pedal to the floor.

A 2600K in THE SAME FREAKING HANDS than someone with a W3570 is going to OWN the W3570. Get over it.

OP, you can go buy the i7 970/990X if you want, just know that it makes no financial sense, nor will you even see much of a difference with your current CPU. Yes I am being annoying, but I don't like people giving misinformation to try to justify an ILLOGICAL purchase

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Logical has nothing to do with personal preference! Each to there own mate.

System Name Homelabs
Logical has nothing to do with personal preference! Each to there own mate.

I was more referring to johnspack and his outbidding of the 7XX $ bid comment along with his screenshot, where he tries to justify this purchase in an unfair way.

Thing is, both are intel, this is not brand preference. So just out of curiosity, what do you prefer of the old X58 platform than the newer SB and SB-E platforms? Because both SB and SB-E have many things better than X58, but what makes you want to still get X58?