• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 990x

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Because i have two x58 boards. If i didnt have them i would have got SB and i find that me i7(on x58) pretty much keeps up with it. I would just like a gulftown 4 it coz i think ill be using it 4 ages. Looks like the 990x is out of the question. Did sumbody say u can get a 970 for $380? Where can i get it from. Thanks.

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
I've seen the 970 go cheap in packs. Sometimes you can find a 5 pack of them for $700-1000. Buy the pack and sell the rest individually for profit :p

They also sell the plain i7 980 too. It's priced around $500 also brand new. Maybe you can find a second hand one.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I too would llike an i7 990x and have been looking for a good deal.

As I cannot find one, at what I feel is a reasonable price, I bought an i7 970 from another TPU member. Waiting delivery.

I will take my i7 950 and build a system for my brother.

Arguments for a different cpu/sandy are not in the cards as I already have a second hand evga x58 board and memory.

My next build will most likely be a socket 2011, skipping a generation.

Last edited:
System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Because i have two x58 boards. If i didnt have them i would have got SB and i find that me i7(on x58) pretty much keeps up with it. I would just like a gulftown 4 it coz i think ill be using it 4 ages. Looks like the 990x is out of the question. Did sumbody say u can get a 970 for $380? Where can i get it from. Thanks.

That is what they go for in the US, idk how much it is in AUS, sorry.

I have 2 X58 boards AND extra triple channel memory. It doesn't mean you have to build an X58 system. As I told you before, sell the board you like less. It makes no sense to buy something that will cost you more for less performance. Just because you have spare 15" tires doesn't mean you should base you next care purchase on it. Just sell your 15" tires and get 17" ones! Don't get an inferior car that costs more because of the 15" tires for god's sake.

My suggestion is to sell an X58 mobo now and see what SB-E brings. From there, you can choose what you want to buy. Also note the PCI-E 3.0 vs 2.0 and little things like that. An i7 990X is going to last you FAR LESS than SB or SB-E. You will be able to keep your SB(-E) setup many years more than you will be able to keep your X58

I've seen the 970 go cheap in packs. Sometimes you can find a 5 pack of them for $700-1000. Buy the pack and sell the rest individually for profit :p

They also sell the plain i7 980 too. It's priced around $500 also brand new. Maybe you can find a second hand one.

Where have you seen these packs?

I too would llike an i7 990x and have been looking for a good deal.

As I cannot find one, at what I feel is a reasonable price, I bought an i7 970 from another TPU member. Waiting delivery.

I will take my i7 950 and build a system for my brother.

Arguments for a different cpu/sandy are not in the cards as I already have a second hand evga x58 board and memory.

My next build will most likely be a socket 2011, skipping a generation.

It's called selling your mobo and memory. I have an extra mobo and memory that I will sell. I was tempted to buy an i7 970, but I came to my senses. It is too late for you anyways, so I hope you enjoy your i7 970

@ OP

It makes no sense to limit yourself just because you have an extra mobo. Be smart and make sure to understand my point I made in my response to your quote

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
That is what they go for in the US, idk how much it is in AUS, sorry.

I have 2 X58 boards AND extra triple channel memory. It doesn't mean you have to build an X58 system. As I told you before, sell the board you like less. It makes no sense to buy something that will cost you more for less performance. Just because you have spare 15" tires doesn't mean you should base you next care purchase on it. Just sell your 15" tires and get 17" ones! Don't get an inferior car that costs more because of the 15" tires for god's sake.

My suggestion is to sell an X58 mobo now and see what SB-E brings. From there, you can choose what you want to buy. Also note the PCI-E 3.0 vs 2.0 and little things like that. An i7 990X is going to last you FAR LESS than SB or SB-E. You will be able to keep your SB(-E) setup many years more than you will be able to keep your X58

Actually the i7 970 / 990x could potentially give him better performance depending on what he's doing. Did you ever think maybe he just wants an extreme edition chip with 6 cores that he can have fun with? You need to realize that not everything is about money all the time. Not everyone is exactly like you, and sometimes people buy things even if other people think it's illogical. You will accept it eventually.

That car analogy is awful btw lol. The high end motherboards he has are like spare 15" tires? Come on, that's extremely exaggerated downplaying. They're more like the entire car body, the CPU is the engine, the PSU is the battery/alternator? (lol), etc. The car analogy just doesn't work though because it's not interchangeable in the same way that computer parts are. I respect your repeated attempts at trying to force him to do something he doesn't want to do.

Where have you seen these packs?

I almost bought a 3 pack of 970's on eBay for $500. They were chip only, no retail box, but still. I have seen several 5 packs on eBay and CL also when I was hunting for mine.

It's called selling your mobo and memory. I have an extra mobo and memory that I will sell. I was tempted to buy an i7 970, but I came to my senses. It is too late for you anyways, so I hope you enjoy your i7 970

@ OP

It makes no sense to limit yourself just because you have an extra mobo. Be smart and make sure to understand my point I made in my response to your quote

Not everyone wants to go through the annoying process of trying to hock their computer equipment over the internet. It is a total pain in the ass most of the time. That, and you won't get decent money for it. I think it makes sense to hold onto something if you can use it. I only sell off stuff that I have extras of or just totally don't need / will never use.

Explain exactly how he's limiting himself? You make it out like the gulftown 6 cores are crappy, and that the SB chips destroy them. This is just not true. The X58 mobo's actually provide better options in many cases still, and the high end ones are better (IMO) for high end gaming rigs with multiple GPU's.

The 2500K and 2600K are great CPU's, no doubt, but they don't crush and destroy the gulftowns. They are quite even in a lot of cases, and both outdo the other every now and then. The gulftowns have advantages, and so do SB. I just don't see how you think it's such a huge terrible mistake he's making. There are many high end system builders on youtube and such that are still using the 990x instead of the SB chips because the X58 platform offers more in terms of high end gear. Who cares if it's EOL. If all you care about is money, that's fine, but some people just want to buy awesome stuff :D

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
A more rational answer, thank you.

The analogy I gave might not have been the best, but I'm just trying to get my point across. I can understand that an Extreme chip can be fun, but that is not what is attracting him, as the i7 970 in his radar perhaps more than the 990X is now. So no, he is NOT looking for FUN from OCing an Extreme chip

Damn those packs are cheap o.o How do they sell it so cheaply!?!?

He doesn't even have to sell his mobo, he could throw it away or get another quad core, he'd still be saving money compared to buy a hexa. The price of the Hexa chip is much MORE than the price of an SB CPU and mobo COMBINED. Hell, he could get another i7 920/30/50 + an SB setup for the price of just an i7 970/90X.

He cares if it is EOL. Why? He states a reason he wants theses hexa cores are because he thinks he will keep them a long time. Thing is that with PCI-E 3.0 and future upgrade paths etc, SB(-E) will serve him better. You also forget about SB-E quad that is coming up, that will most likely beat the Hexacores in every aspect (they come out in 2 weeks, and he doesn't seem like he needs a CPU NOW). Also note that an i7 2600K OCed to it's maxed potential beats the i7 990X OCed in almost EVERY case. Also note he only games!!!!

I understand your arguments, but they do not apply here, as his motivations are different. Not for fun, but instead for longevity and performance and OCing, where SB(-E) is better everywhere. And he GAMES.

Also note that SB(-E) is awesomer than X58 :p

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
I honestly think that the 970 would serve him just as well as a 6 series chipset and an SB chip. The platform may be basically EOL, but a solid X58 board and the 970 will last for several years, which is plenty long enough in my opinion. I don't know about him but I build new machines every 6 months to a year.

The 970 may as well be the 980, and from my experience it's practically an extreme chip minus the unlocking. (obviously that's the whole point of extreme, plus they're cherry picked). PCIE 3.0 isn't going to be actually utilized for years as far as graphics cards go. He's building his machine for gaming, and I can't see a 970 being obsolete for many years in that regard.

Don't the X58 boards now have better pcie bandwidth than the p67/z68 boards also?

Waiting for LGA 2011 is a different story, and the price is going to be very high on new CPU's and motherboards for X79, so I don't really see a problem with going 970 for the next couple years for him. I just don't see why you are so incredibly opposed to him using his current high end mobo and buying a 970 cheap lol.

What I want is a list of specs/reasons why going over to Z68 right this moment is better than his high end Gigabyte G1 assassin board w/ a 970/990x in it. Other than "money" I just don't see it. The 2600K is really not that amazing next to a 970 when they are both OC'd past 4GHz. They trade blows for sure, and each have their own strengths.

Do I think it would be smart to wait and get an IB or SB-E setup? Yes! It's obviously a good idea to wait and get the new performance king, but I also think there's nothing wrong with getting a high end hexacore chip now. We just see things a bit differently. I respect your opinion, I just think you are forcing your opinion a little hard on him.

System Name Homelabs
TBH, I am a bit tired of this discussion :p I think there is enough info out there for him to decide better. If he chooses not to listen to my warning, at least I voiced my opinion enough and I am happy about that. So this will be one of my last lengthy responses on the topic, after that, if you would like to continue this discussions, I have no problem doing it threw PMs, chatting or other ways.

I would like to point out the most important thing... and that is to find what is best FOR HIS NEEDS. Now he contradicts himself a little, but it is easy to see what he really wants: Performance, longevity, but most of all, OCing

Well its to basically have the BEST! Ive been reading mixed reviews of the 970 how sum oc and sum dont. With the 990x its and oc demon. I still am considering a 970 though but the 990x would be nice.

Here he wants the "BEST" and a high OC

Ok mate i dont need lecturing im asking hom much people will pay. I dont care too much about performace. U dont think i know half of this shit?

But he doesn't care that much about performance?

Well i was thinking the 970 but alot of reviews cant get em past 4.2. which is why id like the 990x coz they get 5 now worries. The thing is (like everybody) i dont want to pay f..k all for it.

He wants a high OC, ie: 5Ghz

Because my gaming doesnt make any difference with a ssd and they r to expensive for the amount of gigs u get. Ill be waitn 4 them to drop 4 ages.

He cares about money

I saw an oc3d dude get 5-5.2ghz. Correct me if im wrong but they must be the best oc chip(4 x58) coz if they arnt there is no way im spending that sort of cash on it.

Cares about money and OC

I do understand that but atm i can add a third card. Ok heres the deal. I have a p6t deluxe right but then i bought a spare board(g1 guerrilla) 4 the components and it supports tri-fire. I was thinking of dogging a nice hex core and overclocking the shit out of it and maybe sum new cards to go with it(ati 7000 series). Ahhhh this is all to much.

He says X58 is his personal preference and is insisting on X58, but here we realize that it is just because he bought a motherboard that is X58 and he feels obliged to use it

2500k does not eat i7 990x at high res with 8xaa its all so close. How many frames u talking coz eatings got to be 15+ 4 me!

Oh wait, he cares about performance!

Thats kinda the idea there mate. One thing is 4 sure i aint getting sandy bridge now its too late 4 me.

Either it is too late because SB is too old for him (but X58 is older) or it is too late because he already has a 2nd motherboard (more likely) which is a sad excuse to pay much more money for something he doesn't really want. I think he convinced himself that it's X58 or nothing ONLY because of the mobo

Thanks lordjummy for your input. Its much appreciated. I really would like the 990x for my first extreme editon( without paying to much of course) but if i can get a cheap 970 that would be half decent aswell. Whats your highest oc on the 970? Thanks mate.:toast:

He doesn't care much about the "Extreme" of the CPU, but more for the OCing

U think ill be fine with a 970? Coz if i do i wanna get sum high numbers. What revision did/do u have?

Sry i looked at your screen shot. Are they all b1?

He wants to OC high

He actually wants SB :p He is just making himself think it is off limits now that he has a 2nd mobo

Look a the spoiler above a little. He is obviously feeling guilty for buying the mobo a little bit and wants to put a chip in it to feel better. That is my take anyways. M point is that he doesn't have to feel pressured to buy X58, there are other BETTER options for him.

X58 has more PCI-E lanes. SB-E has even more. SB-E is coming out in 2 weeks, so there is virtually no wait for him, and the 4-core is rumored to be priced under the i7 2600K/2700K price.

I think it is obvious he will not be as happy with X58 than the alternatives. It seems the biggest thing he wants is OCing, where SB will definitively be better

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Thanks for your input guys. Im going to get my 970 and whack it on either one of my x58 then eventually sell the other booard i suppose. If ivy or sb-e is any good(especially on power) i will replace my q9550 and p45 with it. This is the machine i use majority of the time. My i7 x58 sits in the cupboard patiently waiting 4 me to use it. This is because it uses too much power so i use it sparingly mainly 4 crysis and metro when i get bored. I really love the x58 chipset so i wanna keep it and basically get one of the best cpus 4 it. No harm in that. There will always be better stuff around the corner but sentimental value cant be beat.:toast:

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
I agree, and am very jealous of your purchase! It's a blast playing with each generation of hardware, and I always miss out on the newest, and have to buy used. My w3570, a $1000 cpu, cost me $150, and I don't regret buying it! If you hunt hard, you can buy nice older gen stuff to play with for cheap.....

System Name Homelabs
I agree, and am very jealous of your purchase! It's a blast playing with each generation of hardware, and I always miss out on the newest, and have to buy used. My w3570, a $1000 cpu, cost me $150, and I don't regret buying it! If you hunt hard, you can buy nice older gen stuff to play with for cheap.....

150$ :eek: Damn great deal

I cannot find the packs you mentioned LordJummy, if you see one let me know

Last edited:

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
150$ :eek: Damn great deal

I cannot find the packs you mentioned LordJummy, if you see one let me know

It's random. I just found people selling 5 or more at a time in a pack, non retail boxed. You probably won't find something like that every day.

Last edited by a moderator: