• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Secure Apple Macs Fall Prey To Linux DDoS Trojan

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
The first rule about Apple having viruses, you don't talk about Apple having viruses.

not quite true

""The first rule about Apple having viruses, is Apple deny and don't talk about Apple having viruses
:rockout::rockout::banghead::banghead:

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
not quite true

""The first rule about Apple having viruses, is Apple deny and don't talk about Apple having viruses
:rockout::rockout::banghead::banghead:

Blasphemy! Silence, you infidel! Stop spreading your lies! Apple is invincible to viruses! There never was, and never will be, viruses on Macs!

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
"" Ello ""

IN order not to upset the fans of a certin Brand sold worldwide
Perhaps we NON USERS OF THAT BRAND should in future refer to trojens and virus's that target "That Brand" as :laugh: ""Maggots""":laugh:

seems to me to be the perfect description

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
Blasphemers! The Almighty Mac is infallible! The Holy Apple are invincible to such underhanded methods! Such baseless accusations of weakness from heathens does not serve them well, only causing them to solidify the fact that they are infidels! Those liars must burn! Death to the non-believers! Glory to Apple! Hail Steve Jobs! Hail, Apple Triumphant! Hail, Apple Magnificent!

so who we burn? :laugh:

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
Something else to ram down the throat of my Mac elitist friends.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Blasphemers! The Almighty Mac is infallible! The Holy Apple are invincible to such underhanded methods! Such baseless accusations of weakness from heathens does not serve them well, only causing them to solidify the fact that they are infidels! Those liars must burn! Death to the non-believers! Glory to Apple! Hail Steve Jobs! Hail, Apple Triumphant! Hail, Apple Magnificent!

lmfao

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Never Liked Macs- too confusing to use, even more confusing to fix

Last Apple Product I enjoyed was the IIE.

How is a GUI which both M$ and Apple have stolen back and forth, confusing? I'll admit there are some basic design ideas that are slightly different, but it doesn't take long to figure out.

Confusing to fix? Did you only deal with AIO iMacs or the billion screw laptops?

Their towers and desktops were always pretty straight forward. Aside from a few models, usually easy to get at the internals. I've dealt with repairs on a lot of PCs which were nightmares compared to Macs.

Apple used to tote their Macs for resale value, still do but its not as good as it once was. Course partially because of the healthy upgrade market. It made sure you could run more modern CPUs on the older outdated rigs. Bunch of upgrade companies developed all sorts of upgrade options. Even for the Macs considered to be unable to upgrade, they found ways to use L2 cache slots to upgrade. Good 5+ year life on each Mac before needing to upgrade or buy new. Nowadays, lucky to get 2-3.

They also try to dissuade people from upgrading more and more now. Which bred the aftermarket PC GPU to Mac flashing community. Should be no technical reason for newer GPUs to not work with some of the earlier x86 Macs, but sure enough...Apple put a limitation in. Its all about selling more Macs now which they can't do if people hold onto machines forever.

Halk

System Name Desktop PC
Processor 1090T
Motherboard Crosshair IV Forumula
Cooling Arctic Freezer 7 pro
Memory 4x2GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) DirectCU 580
Storage Vertex 2 120GB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X 650
Software Win 7 Home Premium x64
In a final note, as an experienced Mac user, I find this "article" insulting. There are quite a few of us longtime Mac users that have more technical experience than 99% of the Windows PC users out there.

I thought it was best to read the forum guidelines before I responded to you. I took particular exception to the sentence I have quoted, as I felt it was an attempt to belittle others.

Be polite, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. This includes trolling, continuous use of bad language (ie. cussing), flaming and insulting others.

In order to comply with the rules, I must not say anything at all. I should not flame or insult you, or continually use bad language whist I describe you. Sadly I am unable to both stick within the rules, and quantify your smugness or resemblance to genitalia.

Syborfical

The information is from Sophos, who relies on fear in order to sell their products. I've yet to see any Mac malware that in the the real word is a threat. You aren't going to trick me into typing in my system password to install your malware. Try again.

In a final note, as an experienced Mac user, I find this "article" insulting. There are quite a few of us longtime Mac users that have more technical experience than 99% of the Windows PC users out there.

Thanks for the laugh.

You have just re affirmed that some mac uses are very arrogant. Not all use some.
I was going to use a figure like 99% but I know that is not true.

So since this is a E-Penis contest how do you measure up?

Who really cares what OS you run or how technical you are?

If your an arrogant asshole you can run BeOS, Free BSD or what ever you want it still makes you a arrogant asshole.

BTW linux unix and even MAC is has virus and mal ware out there. Its rare. I Have gotten malware for linux a few times, all it did was use all my ram or used all my processor. A quick kernel upgrade and its fixed.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
In my opinion?

Apple is going to get imploded with viruses, because of the simple fact that apple users are SNOBBY and believe there so secure and safe when it comes to there systems(OS).

III PREDICT!: There is some malware out there already hitting some macs and is now being discovered(News example above).What is going to happen is someone or somehow there is going to be a massive break in the OS security and at VERY FAST pace almost all mac OS"s will fall prey to some nasty NASTY nasty malware/virus/trojan/ddos/keylogger and APPLE! will not be able to respond fast enough.

Then you will see the mac crowd come to realization.

I have never seen, nor have experience with Mac's and virus issue's. That in my opinion makes the SNOBBY mac corporate business men and User's vulnerable to a massive VIRAL attack that is one whole punch to the mac OS crowd. The OS security team(if its a team), wont be able to respond fast enough, and over 50% of the mac's will be virus consumed and cracked within a week.

I believe windows has had experience with MASSIVE attacks and usually SOON (@ least today) they respond with patches and fixes for those malicious viruses.

What I am trying to say is, maybe MAC will get caught way off-guard in the FUTURE and it will take a HUGE toll on apple OS's and users all in one punch. Its the perfect setting(Snobby user's, low counter(protection) experience,and the growing market with apple and there macs.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
The information is from Sophos, who relies on fear in order to sell their products. I've yet to see any Mac malware that in the the real word is a threat. You aren't going to trick me into typing in my system password to install your malware. Try again.

Snobby user above!!!

The funny thing is with you SNOBBY ASS USERS. you can fix any PROBLEM with a mac VIRTUALLY using GOOGLE, and following STEP BY STEP GUIDES MADE BY THE PRO'S(or INFORMED).

Second of all, that 1% of Windows PC users' IS STILL BIGGER THEN YOUR ENTIRE MAC CROWD so GTFO. Number's still exceed your IMAGINARY numbers.

You could not even talk about the same technical issue's some of us Windows Users understand EVERYDAY. You could not even prove it.

There is just no argument there, experience and longevity and customer base just rape any of your speculations.

Were mac's not made in Steve Job's mind for simplicity and the fact that the USER was not a computer SAVVY person? Tell me i'm wrong.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I just ran across these tidbits elsewhere ...
The last Macintosh trojan that we reported on was named Flashback.C, and would execute after you opened a .dmg file posing to be Adobe Flash player. It would install and disable your Apple Anti-Malware system. If you had LittleSnitch installed, the trojan would not execute, instead automatically delete itself.

... then talking about this new malware ...
Does it do anything else?

Yes. OSX/Tsnunami.A not only makes your computer attack Web Sites, but it also it attempts to fill your computer with more malware. Generally this wouldn't be too bad of an issue, as the Apple Anti-Malware is not disabled by this trojan. Most of it would be forbidden to execute from the start. But a mix of this trojan, plus the Flashback.C trojan is an ugly combination.

Just a heads up for Apple users. :toast:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I just ran across these tidbits elsewhere ...

... then talking about this new malware ...

Just a heads up for Apple users. :toast:

Rubbish man, Apples are completely secure! qubit fixes Kreij with his best stern look.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Well... many, if not most, of us at TPU that use windows do not fall into that 99%, sorry.

Though qubit could have worded it differently... say for example instead of... "For years Apple Mac users have felt smug that their computers..." He could put "For years many Apple Mac users have felt smug that their computers..."

moose has a fair point.

and pantherx12 as well, If Mac or Linux computers were as widespread as Windows PCs, then there'd probably be just as many hackers, etc, using those systems or attacking those systems.

The more you have, the more likely someone will want some of it (or mess with it in some way)

Regardless, thanks for the info qubit, Mac users should appreciate the heads up. Many Mac users may be used to software simply being safe to use on their OS, so seeing this may at least teach them to have some caution with 3rd party apps and such.

You misunderstood my point. I was referring to the "However, that hardly sounds like a challenge does it, given the general lack of basic technical skills and security knowledge of ordinary computer users?".

The problem I have with this is that it really portrays a stereotype that isn't true. I'm sure if you did a scientific calculation of the percentage or number of PC users (not just those on TPU!) that "lack basic technicals skills and security knowledge" it would be just as high, if not higher than Mac users. Since there is absolutely no scientific data the author can cite (unless I missed it), he is injecting his opinion as if it were fact.

I think you typified the smugness perfectly. :laugh:

smug
Exhibiting or feeling great or offensive satisfaction with oneself or with one's situation; self-righteously complacent

I was in no way being "smug", but maybe you just didn't know what the word meant. :laugh:

if you think of yourself as one of the 'more (technically) skilled' mac users, than perhaps its just lame to compare yourself to the average user of the opposing team. just take the challenge and compete to the 'more (technically) skilled' windows users and see if thats gonna work out... :rolleyes:
otherwise its just a stupid meaningless phrase.

good fight, good night!

I do consider myself a "more (technically) skilled" Mac user. I spent years (mid 90's-mid 2000's) on the DealMac forums helping others and learning from others. There were a large number of other Mac users there that I would say were experts or advanced users. Just because they aren't here on TPU doesn't mean they don't exist. As I said before, I was originally objecting to the fact that the author was trying to portray Mac users as those who "lack basic technicals skills and security knowledge".

Yes, there ARE some Mac users who can make nearly every member of this forum look like technical idiots...but they're extremely rare.
And there ARE Mac users who are much more technically literate and knowledgeable than the average 'just works' Mac user... but they're very uncommon and much smaller in number than PC 'enthusiasts'.
And there ARE Windows PC users who are just as much technical morons as the average Mac users that are made fun of on forums like this... and they're just as common as the uninformed Mac users. Some of them even sign up for membership here and ask silly questions. Just as their Mac counterparts do on Mac forums.

Ok, but you are making those "numbers" up and that's based on your opinion, not fact. You haven't cited any statistical data proving your argument, just as the original author of the "article" hasn't.

I can say that I know both Windows and Mac users and even the less tech savvy ask me to install an antivirus on their Windows PCs. On the other hand, most Mac users always reply they don't need antivirus software.

I'm not going to argue with you about this. I have my opinion, you have yours, and the facts speak for themselves.

I for one would like to see a coalition of Hackers get together and do nothing but harass & infect MAC users....

Just for the LuLzzz...

From the looks of it, this would be just as good of a place to start as any! :laugh:

Well to be honest, qubit is right. I have used macs since 1998 and the "Apple community" has changed quite a bit over the years. It went from arrogance to out right ignorance. There are exceptions to all harsh generalizations so timta2 might be an exception despite the wild claim to be possessing "more technical experience than 99% of the Windows PC users". Just how would you quantify your technical experience to be that level?

There are a lot of us out there and I agree with you that some "harsh generalizations" are made about Apple users in general, some similar to the unfair ones about PC users which we know aren't true either! :laugh:

Apple user since 1983, Commodore user since 1985, Mac user since 1986, DOS user since 1986, and Windows user since 1992. But maybe you weren't asking me specifically ;)

In all fairness, Sophos Mac AV is completely free for home use. So the motivation is quite nil except for mindshare. Virus' can hit Mac's, they can hit anything that reads out code. But every Month I service 400+ Mac's, maybe more, for the last 10 years and I have never, ever seen a virus on a Mac unless I put it there. People always say they have one but in the end it is something completely different. But no-one should start a fight with their guard down. Mac users are like Apollo Creed in Rocky IV. Drago is around the corner.

This is a recent development. Until recently (a year ago or so) they were charging a premium price. I do applaud them for this but they aren't doing this purely to be nice and there are business motivations behind it. Just like a lot of the free Windows AV, it's only a matter of time until the nags are implemented and the functionality is reduced unless you buy the premium version.

also, the mac OS is based more-so on BSD. of which, i remember a hack fest no so long ago, to which apples os came in last, over windows and linux.

That required direct machine access and use of social engineering to work. If I could actually find something in "the wild" I could as easily install it onto my Mac sitting here. Just as easily as you could install malware on your PC sitting there.

I thought it was best to read the forum guidelines before I responded to you. I took particular exception to the sentence I have quoted, as I felt it was an attempt to belittle others.

In order to comply with the rules, I must not say anything at all. I should not flame or insult you, or continually use bad language whist I describe you. Sadly I am unable to both stick within the rules, and quantify your smugness or resemblance to genitalia.

Nope, that was a complete misunderstanding on YOUR part. I was defending the group that was being "belittled". As for the rest of your statement, stay classy. I've read the rules many times over and feel that I in no way violated them. I'm free to state my opinion here just as you have, and I live in the United States Of America, where we have this thing called the First Amendment to the United States Constitution :laugh:

Thanks for the laugh.

You have just re affirmed that some mac uses are very arrogant. Not all use some.
I was going to use a figure like 99% but I know that is not true.

So since this is a E-Penis contest how do you measure up?

Who really cares what OS you run or how technical you are?

If your an arrogant asshole you can run BeOS, Free BSD or what ever you want it still makes you a arrogant asshole.

BTW linux unix and even MAC is has virus and mal ware out there. Its rare. I Have gotten malware for linux a few times, all it did was use all my ram or used all my processor. A quick kernel upgrade and its fixed.

I don't think I'm arrogant, as you would probably agree if you knew me in really life, but you are entitled to your opinion. My "E-Penis" measurements are above.

Snobby user above!!!

The funny thing is with you SNOBBY ASS USERS. you can fix any PROBLEM with a mac VIRTUALLY using GOOGLE, and following STEP BY STEP GUIDES MADE BY THE PRO'S(or INFORMED).

Second of all, that 1% of Windows PC users' IS STILL BIGGER THEN YOUR ENTIRE MAC CROWD so GTFO. Number's still exceed your IMAGINARY numbers.

You could not even talk about the same technical issue's some of us Windows Users understand EVERYDAY. You could not even prove it.

There is just no argument there, experience and longevity and customer base just rape any of your speculations.

Were mac's not made in Steve Job's mind for simplicity and the fact that the USER was not a computer SAVVY person? Tell me i'm wrong.

Nice personal attack from a fellow longtime TPU user. I hope you feel better about yourself.
Oh, and take a look at my specs, I'm a Windows user, just like you. :toast:

Since it sounds like you are challenging me, what are these "technical issue's some of us Windows Users understand EVERYDAY", so that I could prove it? Do you see me posting "Please help me with my computer" on the forums here on TPU?

I wasn't speculating on anything, I was just saying that not all mac users "lack basic technicals skills and security knowledge".

Apple created the Mac OS to offer a great user experience, not an OS for people who are stupid and need an easy to use computer. You were mostly right.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
"It just works" is the biggest fail of a slogan that a company has had the stupidity to make. "You can't configure me" would be more better.

tell this to the two ipods i had to restore last night, and my ever crashing iphone

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
You misunderstood my point. I was referring to the "However, that hardly sounds like a challenge does it, given the general lack of basic technical skills and security knowledge of ordinary computer users?".

The problem I have with this is that it really portrays a stereotype that isn't true. I'm sure if you did a scientific calculation of the percentage or number of PC users (not just those on TPU!) that "lack basic technicals skills and security knowledge" it would be just as high, if not higher than Mac users. Since there is absolutely no scientific data the author can cite (unless I missed it), he is injecting his opinion as if it were fact.

My assertion about clueless users was based on a bit of common logic, isn't hard to understand and I stand by it. It's interesting to see that you accuse me of not using any "scientific calculations", yet you don't give any hard evidence to support your point either. :laugh: Got any for me?

You say you're a technically competent Mac user and I'm happy to take that at face value (you're on here, after all ;) ) but you're the exception, not the rule. Look, I work on an IT helpdesk and I see just how effing clueless most of these PC users are, so I have every reason to believe that a dumbed down, DRM locked down Mac is gonna attract even more clueless users buying into the "it just works" mantra. Man, I despise the koolaid that Apple's been peddling all these years. Maybe without Jobs's reality distortion field Apple will turn into less of a control freak company? Here's hoping.

It looks like Mussels's experience illustrates one example of the lie to the "it just works" mantra.

System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
Ok, but you are making those "numbers" up and that's based on your opinion, not fact. You haven't cited any statistical data proving your argument, just as the original author of the "article" hasn't.

That's true, that's all anything that is posted in a forum can be, unless a citation is given.
I would say that "article" is a good characterization of the original post, not in the sense of a long, thought out, logically consistent piece of argumentation with citations (as in academic publishing), but as a piece of opinion on a news item.
It's too easy to throw the 'citation' bomb without thinking of the context. If you're looking for vetted, cited, and formal "news", a forum such as this is not the place for such a thing. It is unreasonable.
A forum, like this one, is perpetuated in the traditional, human, and fundamentally irrational way -- word of mouth. It is up to the reader to determine the worth of a posting, and to sift through its information for any grains of truth, it is not up to the poster to be exquisitely formal and correct, even if their wish is to present a piece of information. No matter how much we may want it to be so...
Think things through next time.
Don't react to inflammatory nonsense.
And don't assume your position is unassailable when dealing with opinion, especially when relying purely on logical form while presenting no substance.
:shadedshu

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
That's true, that's all anything that is posted in a forum can be, unless a citation is given.
I would say that "article" is a good characterization of the original post, not in the sense of a long, thought out, logically consistent piece of argumentation with citations (as in academic publishing), but as a piece of opinion on a news item.
It's too easy to throw the 'citation' bomb without thinking of the context. If you're looking for vetted, cited, and formal "news", a forum such as this is not the place for such a thing. It is unreasonable.
A forum, like this one, is perpetuated in the traditional, human, and fundamentally irrational way -- word of mouth. It is up to the reader to determine the worth of a posting, and to sift through its information for any grains of truth, it is not up to the poster to be exquisitely formal and correct, even if their wish is to present a piece of information. No matter how much we may want it to be so...
Think things through next time.
Don't react to inflammatory nonsense.
And don't assume your position is unassailable when dealing with opinion, especially when relying purely on logical form while presenting no substance.
:shadedshu
Great post, especially that last bit. :rockout:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
hey qubit, as an addition to your comments:

You get clueless users on any platform, not just in the PC world. its just that Mac users seem proud of it, under the umbrella of "it just works, so i dont HAVE to learn that stuff"

Its that pride in ignorance that really gets under our skin - especially in cases like this, where that willful ignorance results in harm to other internet users worldwide, by allowing their 'secure' systems to become part of DDoS botnets.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
hey qubit, as an addition to your comments:

You get clueless users on any platform, not just in the PC world. its just that Mac users seem proud of it, under the umbrella of "it just works, so i dont HAVE to learn that stuff"

Its that pride in ignorance that really gets under our skin - especially in cases like this, where that willful ignorance results in harm to other internet users worldwide, by allowing their 'secure' systems to become part of DDoS botnets.

Indeed yes, well said. :toast: Ignorance most certainly isn't bliss when others pay for their stupidity.

I know what you mean about the massed ranks of the great unwashed (and I'm also including all platforms here). They actually revel in their ignorance and consider it "uncool" to actually know anything. How f* retarded. :shadedshu

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i think the attitude is a new variant of british royalty and nobility - they considered being fat and pale prestigious, because the working class had to be out in the sun doing manual labor.

Since these roles today arent physical labor, some people seem to have the attitude that being ignorant of how things work means you're important enough to not need to know how it works, since someone else can do it for you. its bizarre.

[/off topic]

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
I think the bottom line is that any os is only as secure as it's user, or administrator. A mac with an uninformed operator is going to be just as exposed as a windows pc with an uninformed operator.

But having said that, it is clear that windows pcs are and have always been the bigger target given the nature of unix based systems, and their much lower market share. But that argument is a double edged sword because, when you're a target you learn how to compete better than when you're sitting idle waiting for someone to hit you every once and a while.

I personally would consider no system truly impenetrable and wouldn't consider my data safe from any attacker. I am behind a hardware firewall, I keep fairly up to date on OS security, and do regular scans and updates for the real time monitoring software. But more importantly, I restrict access to critical stuff to drives that I can physically detach from the network when it's not in use. Regular back ups are as important as any part of secure systems.

I don't think mac users are standing out there being purposefully ignorant, I think perhaps you just seem to seek out the vocal crowed who somehow think they are superior because they have a more expensive product than other people do. You see just as many users on pc side of the fence who think they are superior to mac users because their pc cost less, or has a better graphics card, or something along those lines. You even see that crap on smart phones, where people who use android phones think their platform is superior to ios or vice versa.

Frankly the highly opinionated users with a superiority complex can wind up giving any group a bad reputation. Ever seen a political rally? How bout a religious gathering? Anyone who believes they are superior in one way or another to any other human being shouldn't have an opinion that is taken seriously anyway.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
..........Nice personal attack from a fellow longtime TPU user. I hope you feel better about yourself.
Oh, and take a look at my specs, I'm a Windows user, just like you. :toast:

Since it sounds like you are challenging me, what are these "technical issue's some of us Windows Users understand EVERYDAY", so that I could prove it? Do you see me posting "Please help me with my computer" on the forums here on TPU?

I wasn't speculating on anything, I was just saying that not all mac users "lack basic technicals skills and security knowledge".

Apple created the Mac OS to offer a great user experience, not an OS for people who are stupid and need an easy to use computer. You were mostly right.

My bad, at the time I was a little aggravated (waiting for a drink :laugh::laugh:) I could name os issues but I have been using windows XP for a while now till a grab some new ram. Been running 2gb and playing everything smoothly, 400-350mb usage tops for my OS resources. I use the AMD fusion program for profiles, and slapped in a modified launcher so it works with my system(Intel fusion). Cut all programs off and about 400mb or less is used tops, 1.5gb+ for games.

I watched a documentary on Netflix yesterday pretty much revolving around design and the revelations of design(apple had a big segment in it). What Apple and the Apple's team do is try to design a product that is natural to the human person.
Example: If a alien(outer-space) were to come down and see a metal spoon, he could readily understand how to use it for food or a scoop.
When real design comes into play, it revolves more on the natural simplicity around that product/design. All these ipod's, iphones, ipads, Macbook's, even macpros were designed in the eye of natural simplicity and understanding. Yes there are technical's in the way but when you pick up readily any device from the big Apple you virtually know how to use it and start plucking away, everything works without hitches. That's the beauty of it.

The same goes with apple OS's yes there a little out of that design aspect, but when they were made and or designed, every thought of USER trouble was pinpointed and suppressed fairly well, even with virus protection.

Personally that's how I believe apple broke economic barrier's(500$ product, 1mil+ sales). Design and natural capability and ease of use were very very very strongly enforced within that company's team.

My bad though, no hard feeling :toast: :eek:

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I've been stating this for long time now even a few times on the forum that the only reason Mac's were secrue is cause they weren't popular enough to target. I even warn my Mac friends, you just wait and see I'd say... for once Mac becomes popular enough you will be in sudden shock.

Even proposed this analogy I think I have mentioned on TPU once before.

Apple OS (Mac's) are like the Native Americans in North America prior to the arrival of the Europeans which you could say are like the Windows OS. Windows carries all these diseases (AKA Viruses) but are mostly immune to them while the Native Americans (Apple OS) all peaceful and ignorant to the troubles disease brings with it are suddenly hit very hard by these virus now "ported" to them.

I find that explanation to sit well with many people. Been preaching it for years.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit