• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A+ Certification Help

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
True but in my situation it was different. Having to do paperwork for both and then college was not ideal due to the MGI Bill

At Chattanooga tech, CompTIA testing is 300$ a test. I called to get it and CCNA before I went to college and it seemed like It wasn't worth it so I just got a degree in electronics engineering. Employers like to hear that over "I got a A+ cert"

Sorry off subject, but how far away are you from Chattanooga?

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
I took a practice test got like a 50%ish on it, the questions were extremely out dated and incorrect.

We measure a processors speed in
A) Hertz
B) Megahertz

and two other answers, I chose Hertz being the base unit... Apparently MHz is correct?

Well, even scientific calculators are measured in Mhz so yeah. :) Measuring in Hertz would be a pain in the ass (imagine yourself counting the digits). :D

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
I took a practice test got like a 50%ish on it, the questions were extremely out dated and incorrect.

We measure a processors speed in
A) Hertz
B) Megahertz

and two other answers, I chose Hertz being the base unit... Apparently MHz is correct?
Lots of people still use MHz.

What practice test did you take though? It's not surprising that questions would be out-dated tbh.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
Experience Experience Experience,,,

Multiple Boss's, strait up told me, Experience is what gets you in the tech jobs generally.

Many a time a boss hires a microsoft/A+ certified tech, and on the first day gets a call about a simple solvable issue. Then he tells them what to do and fire's there ass :eek:

Its never a negative to have a A+ though, just a never a big enough positive without experience or On-site TRAINING.

I myself tried taking some test out there, after some search. I would get 50-70%'s to be honest, but thats exactly what got me, multi-choice super technical (rarely talked about) questions. What exact value's for operating system minimum usage requirement's, how many usb's, and compatible hardware questions

Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Experience Experience Experience,,,

Multiple Boss's, strait up told me, Experience is what gets you in the tech jobs generally.
I've ran into plenty of people with tons of experience that have trouble getting well-paying jobs because they don't have the desired certs and/or degrees. Of course, it goes both ways too; you're going to have an equally hard time getting well-paying jobs if you've only got certs and/or a degree but no experience. You need both. Generally, getting the certs/degree is what will help you land entry-level positions to get the experience you need for the good stuff. Not many people are willing to hire if you have no qualifications at all.
I myself tried taking some test out there, after some search. I would get 50-70%'s to be honest, but thats exactly what got me, multi-choice super technical (rarely talked about) questions. What exact value's for operating system minimum usage requirement's, how many usb's, and compatible hardware questions
That's the thing about the CompTIA certs; the tests are all just memorization questions. That's what makes them so easy to pass.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
At Chattanooga tech, CompTIA testing is 300$ a test. I called to get it and CCNA before I went to college and it seemed like It wasn't worth it so I just got a degree in electronics engineering. Employers like to hear that over "I got a A+ cert"

"it seemed like 1000$ in certs wasn't worth it so I got a 50,000-80,000$ degree..."

? really

if you're just starting out and making either minimum wage or just a bit better an A+ and a Net+ will guarantee you 13-15$ an hour. A much better prospect than flipping burgers especially if IT is what you want to go into.

Then you can work on your degree while making enough to either pay for classes, or at least enough to where you reduce the amount of money you owe when you finish. (unless you're a silver spoon luckly bastard or a super genius, in either case wtf are you doing on here?)

I started way back in the day with just a little IT experience and an A+ while now it doesn't count for much it did get me hired and on a career path. I mean seriously how the hell can you weigh a tech cert against a degree? that's like saying an apple isn't as good as a 200$ steak dinner from the finest steak house. Sure it's not, but it's much better than starving. lol

In a time where college graduates have a 1 in 5 shot at getting hired, wasting money on a degree when all you needed at the time was a decent job isn't sound advice.

get the job, then work on getting the education. This will also save you from wasting time on a degree for a profession you find out isn't for you (hence the high dropout rates in the freshman year of college).

I can confirm the 13-15/hr rate as that's what I'm usually offered and I'm just starting out with an A+ and a Net+. Also, if you do any repair for friends/family, then put on your resume that you run a pc repair business out of your home.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

streetfighter 2

if you really want to impress a future employer then take the initiative by learning an emerging technology. nobody cares if you can navigate your way around tcp/ip in windows server. they want to know what kinds of new things are out there that they can leverage to their competitive advantage.
How well do jobs pay in imaginationland? :D

Nah, seriously though, good luck getting to an interview without a degree and/or certs, even if you are gloriously overqualified due to rigorous personal study.
still i'd like a job there...

and damn those test for certs are expensive.
When you no longer feel the need to remind stupid people how stupid they are, then you will be ready young Padawan. :p
Also, if you do any repair for friends/family, then put on your resume that you run a pc repair business out of your home.
Just don't apply at the IRS. :D

Last edited: