• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Streamlines Barracuda Product Family; Simplifies Selection for Consumers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seagate is streamlining its flagship family of desktop drives under a single product that hones in on performance and big capacities to help satisfy the explosive growth in content creation and consumption by businesses and consumers worldwide. The new Barracuda family makes it easier for consumers to find the product they need and reduces costs for Seagate's original equipment manufacturer and distribution channel customers by reducing the number of product qualifications and amount of inventory they need to manage.

"A simpler desktop drive product family is exactly what Seagate customers are asking for," said Scott Horn, vice president of Marketing at Seagate. "The new Barracuda family reflects the reality that end-users want a full range of hard drive capacities and as much performance as we can give them to help manage and store massive amounts of digital content. In addition, our OEM and channel customers want to reduce overhead costs by having fewer product lines to qualify and manage in their inventory."

Desktop PC performance is growing in importance as computer users consume and otherwise use more and more multimedia - a blend of text, audio, images, animation and video - and other rich-content files in areas as diverse as business, advertising, art, education, entertainment, engineering, medicine, mathematics and science. Higher hard drive performance often means a faster computer and quicker access to this content.

The new Barracuda hard drive - to be available first at online retailers Amazon, CDW, Newegg and TigerDirect - is designed for desktop, tower or all-in-one personal computers; workstations, home and small business servers; network-attached storage devices; direct-attached storage expansion; and home and small-business RAID solutions. Capacities of the family range from 250GB to a massive 3TB.

The simplification of the Barracuda family comes as Seagate begins volume shipments of its 1TB-per-disk Barracuda hard drive. Seagate plans to end production of its Barracuda Green drive in February 2012. Seagate analysis shows that its new Barracuda drives have a nearly identical power-consumption profile as energy-efficient desktop drives but deliver much higher performance. Barracuda XT, Seagate's fastest desktop hard drive, will be folded into the new Barracuda family and re-emerge, in name, as the company's desktop solid state hybrid drive.

Technical Specifications
The new Barracuda hard drive features a SATA 6 Gb/s interface, 7200 RPM spin speed and up to 64 MB cache to deliver high performance across all capacities. Seagate's SmartAlign technology, a feature of Seagate's Barracuda Green drives, will continue to ship with the flagship Barracuda drives to help the hard drive industry segue from the current 512-byte sector standard for hard drives to the new 4096-byte sector size. The new 4K standard enables the use of stronger error correction algorithms to maintain data integrity at higher storage densities and capacities.

Environmental Commitment
Seagate is committed to building hard drives to the highest quality and environmental standards. More than 70 percent of materials used in its storage products are recyclable, and all of its products are halogen-free and comply with the rigorous REACH standard. These and other initiatives at Seagate are what truly make a difference to the environment.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Memory 32GB GSkill DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16-8GVKC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z (1440P 144Hz, TN, Freesync) & 2x ASUS VE248
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider optical
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not to mention we're experiencing shortages in all areas, so we figured; Hey, why not? Let's make this natural disaster work for SEAGATE.

System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
The supplier for work told me to expect a shortage on drive for a month to 2 months. :(

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
we dont need more streamliners and simplification - we need more reliablity because your MTBF falls very very very short of the quoted specifications!

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
all I read was blah blah blah- we are dropping our green line- blah blah blah

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Barracuda XT, Seagate’s fastest desktop hard drive, will be folded into the new Barracuda family and re-emerge, in name, as the company’s desktop solid state hybrid drive.

Finally! I'm hoping the desktop version have more than 4GB of SSD space.

we dont need more streamliners and simplification - we need more reliablity because your MTBF falls very very very short of the quoted specifications!

Seagate drives are just as reliable as anyone else.

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
So...I know this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know if with the Seagate/Samsung buy out, will they stop manufacturing the 2TB F4/1TB F3 drives or continue and just phase them out eventually? Or are they no longer in production? Shops seem to still stock them, I'm hoping after the prices drop back down and the supply issues are over that the Samsung drives are still for sale, they've been a lot more reliable than any Seagate drives I've had.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro

lol. nailed it

So...I know this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know if with the Seagate/Samsung buy out, will they stop manufacturing the 2TB F4/1TB F3 drives or continue and just phase them out eventually? Or are they no longer in production? Shops seem to still stock them, I'm hoping after the prices drop back down and the supply issues are over that the Samsung drives are still for sale, they've been a lot more reliable than any Seagate drives I've had.

aye, the samsung 2TB F4's are damn good drives. I bought 2 of them 2 months ago for a total of $152 including tax + shipping from newegg. now that same drive is listed at $230 excluding shipping + tax...

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Finally! I'm hoping the desktop version have more than 4GB of SSD space.

Seagate drives are just as reliable as anyone else.

I have heard of more seagate failures then any other brands.

and if you google 'seagate failure rate' it will pull up literally hundreds of hits about broken hard drives revolving around the barracuda line - Inquirer done a news post about it

most sites are saying seagates have a 25-35% failure rates.

Its not just me saying this - the whole of the internets is.

so where is your proof that they are just as reliable as anyone else?

I dont hear this much negativity about Samsung or WD - I know for a fact that WD get a fair bit of flack, but no where near as much as seagate.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I have heard of more seagate failures then any other brands.

That is nice, I've been running a repair shop for about 6 years now, and see a pretty even number of WD and Seagate drives come in.

and if you google 'seagate failure rate' it will pull up literally hundreds of hits about broken hard drives revolving around the barracuda line - Inquirer done a news post about it

And if you google "WD Failure Rate" you will get the same. The Inguirer article turned out to be a firmware issue, the notorious firmware issue actually, so that doesn't really apply to the entire line of drives, especially since it has been fixed a long time ago. And don't forget WD hasn't been immune to their fair share of firmware issues, like their Green Edition drives causing SMART to go apeshit...

Any site that doesn't have a number from seagate or deals in millions of drives is totally full of shit.

And the whole internet is saying the same things about WD. People will complain when they get a bum drive, that is the fact. It doesn't mean they are unreliable just because a minor percentage have problems.

Besides my experience, I think I've pretty much proved that all of your evidence applies to WD as well, so my question is where is your proof that they aren't? "Random people on the internet says so" isn't a valid excuse.

I dont hear this much negativity about Samsung or WD - I know for a fact that WD get a fair bit of flack, but no where near as much as seagate.

Interesting, and you know Samsung is Seagate...right... Kind of disproves your whole argument when you say "I haven't heard the same about Samsung" when Samsung is owned by Seagate. If your entire argument hinges on "the internet says so" it kind of kills it to say "the internet doesn't say so" about the very company you just said the internet did say so... You just contradict yourself.

Oh, and yeah, as I said, there are plenty of bad press about WD out there too. You just seem to ignore it I guess.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Interesting, and you know Samsung is Seagate...right... Kind of disproves your whole argument when you say "I haven't heard the same about Samsung" when Samsung is owned by Seagate. If your entire argument hinges on "the internet says so" it kind of kills it to say "the internet doesn't say so" about the very company you just said the internet did say so... You just contradict yourself.

youre talking like Samsung never made their own hard drives at all.

well....FYI - Yes they have. and I am fully aware that Seagate has bought samsungs HDD department, but the whole move hasnt taken place yet and wont till the end of this year. otherwise Samsung are still making their own hard drives

There are members here in the forum that have had a lot of failed seagate hard drives, not just relating to firmware issues that you have pointed out. Im talking about the kinda failure that results in an RMA.

So what if you own a tech shop?? Oh great, Just because you own a tech shop that automaticly means you speak for every single consumer?? get off your high horse.

I am happy for you that you havent had to deal with many returned and faulty hard drives, but that still doesnt speak for everyone else unless youve suddenly become the one and only one stop shop on the internet and on the street for pc hardware and everyone has to go through you???

So what if i choose to follow the internet?? Isnt that what you do before buying new hardware? Look for reviews. Im not saying i follow them for everything. but then If theres loads of people saying a certain brand, component or peripheral etc etc is bad then i wont buy it, simple as that.

I dont just buy things at random with my eyes closed and cross my fingers hoping it wont break for two weeks as i go through paypal to make my payment.

Its great you got your own opinion about Seagate. but I'll stick to mine and i will continue to not recommend them to anyone who is looking for advice or who I am building a system for.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
youre talking like Samsung never made their own hard drives at all.

well....FYI - Yes they have. and I am fully aware that Seagate has bought samsungs HDD department, but the whole move hasnt taken place yet and wont till the end of this year. otherwise Samsung are still making their own hard drives

Samsung stopped making drives when Seagate bought them, Seagate makes the drives now. Might still be in factories that used to be Samsung factories, but they are Seagate factories now. And where do you think Seagate got their new 1TB platter technology from? Samsung. So Seagate drives are going to be more Samsung than Seagate from now one, that is kind of the point of this news article.

There are members here in the forum that have had a lot of failed seagate hard drives, not just relating to firmware issues that you have pointed out. Im talking about the kinda failure that results in an RMA.

And there are plenty of members that have had WD drives fail I'm sure. In fact, I seem to remember that last HD failure thread I read on here was a WD drive. Anecdotal evidence doesn't help your argument any either way though.

So what if you own a tech shop?? Oh great, Just because you own a tech shop that automaticly means you speak for every single consumer?? get off your high horse.

No, it means I've likely got a lot more experience with a large volume of hard drives and hard drive failures. Just because you read a few articles online that means you speak for every single customer? Get off your high horse there bud.

I am happy for you that you havent had to deal with many returned and faulty hard drives, but that still doesnt speak for everyone else unless youve suddenly become the one and only one stop shop on the internet and on the street for pc hardware and everyone has to go through you???

That is where you are wrong, I have had to deal with many returns and faulty hard drive, it makes up a very large portion of my break/fix business. Probably 2-3 machines a week with failed drives.

But see that is where you went wrong. You obviously have very little actual experience with the subject, so you assume that everyone else does as well. You assume that my argument is that Seagate doesn't have any failure, which is wrong. My argument is that Seagate has just as many failures as everyone else, or if you prefer everyone else has just as many failures as Seagate. And I say that based on my very large experience with failed drives and the fact that I see a pretty equal number of WD and Seagate drives come into my shop failing or failed.

So what if i choose to follow the internet?? Isnt that what you do before buying new hardware? Look for reviews. Im not saying i follow them for everything. but then If theres loads of people saying a certain brand, component or peripheral etc etc is bad then i wont buy it, simple as that.

Sure I read reviews before buying hardware. However, a bunch of random people complaining about their drive dying isn't a review, now is it? And as I said, you can find that for pretty much every manufacturer, and you can find actual articles for every manufacturer too. So if you plan is to not buy anything anyone says something bad about, then good luck with never buying a hard drive again. Just google WD Failure, and 6 of the first 10 results are people complaining about a failed drive, and another result is a site offering to recover data from failed WD drives.

I dont just buy things at random with my eyes closed and cross my fingers hoping it wont break for two weeks as i go through paypal to make my payment.

Good for you, I'm glad you will let random people on the internet make those tough decisions for you. I bet you rely on newegg reviews too.:laugh:

Its great you got your own opinion about Seagate. but I'll stick to mine and i will continue to not recommend them to anyone who is looking for advice or who I am building a system for.

That is nice, no matter how stupid your logic is, at least you are willing to stick behind it!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Samsung stopped making drives when Seagate bought them, Seagate makes the drives now. Might still be in factories that used to be Samsung factories, but they are Seagate factories now. And where do you think Seagate got their new 1TB platter technology from? Samsung. So Seagate drives are going to be more Samsung than Seagate from now one, that is kind of the point of this news article.

And there are plenty of members that have had WD drives fail I'm sure. In fact, I seem to remember that last HD failure thread I read on here was a WD drive. Anecdotal evidence doesn't help your argument any either way though.

No, it means I've likely got a lot more experience with a large volume of hard drives and hard drive failures. Just because you read a few articles online that means you speak for every single customer? Get off your high horse there bud.

That is where you are wrong, I have had to deal with many returns and faulty hard drive, it makes up a very large portion of my break/fix business. Probably 2-3 machines a week with failed drives.

But see that is where you went wrong. You obviously have very little actual experience with the subject, so you assume that everyone else does as well. You assume that my argument is that Seagate doesn't have any failure, which is wrong. My argument is that Seagate has just as many failures as everyone else, or if you prefer everyone else has just as many failures as Seagate. And I say that based on my very large experience with failed drives and the fact that I see a pretty equal number of WD and Seagate drives come into my shop failing or failed.

Sure I read reviews before buying hardware. However, a bunch of random people complaining about their drive dying isn't a review, now is it? And as I said, you can find that for pretty much every manufacturer, and you can find actual articles for every manufacturer too. So if you plan is to not buy anything anyone says something bad about, then good luck with never buying a hard drive again. Just google WD Failure, and 6 of the first 10 results are people complaining about a failed drive, and another result is a site offering to recover data from failed WD drives.

Good for you, I'm glad you will let random people on the internet make those tough decisions for you. I bet you rely on newegg reviews too.:laugh:

That is nice, no matter how stupid your logic is, at least you are willing to stick behind it!:rolleyes:

No i dont rely on newegg reviews - I rely on techsite reviews like guru3d, TPU & Hardwarehaven etc etc. I do look at Newegg reviews but i dont take them seriously Just like I would yours.

as for my 'stupid logic' - I would be even more stupid to buy something thats known to have a high failure rate. I dont like losing data or constantly having to deal with RMA's. rather be safe then sorry.

Im sorry i dont fit your critera.

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...

Can I ask what sort of systems you fix, whether it's mostly business systems/custom builds or OEM pre-builts for home consumers? I tend to find Seagate to have a very good reliability with their SCSI and business-grade drives (as do WD), but A LOT of their consumer end drives have very poor reliability and I mean hardware-wise, not firmware. All HDD manufacturers had issues with firmware at some point (WD/Seagate and even Samsung with their pre-February 2011 2TB F4s). Same goes for WD drives -- I have 640GB WD Blues known for their great reliability that never have problems; their external/OEM pre-built used drives, on the other hand, have had pretty bad reliability in my experience. I personally ran four WD10EARS drives for a while -- 1 died before the year was up (I got a replacement that still works), 3 of those died shortly after.

I'm not trying to defend either of them, but the only thing I will say is that I can see why Samsung lost money on their HDD division: they seem to be the premium consumer-end HDD manufacturer for the most part -- kind of like a CPU company that only sells to the enthusiast/high-end market, the return isn't there compared to WD or Seagate that bin their failed retail drives to use in budget external drives/OEM systems, which I never saw Samsung do and which is no doubt where the money is.

Last edited:
System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Hard drives fail, that is just a given. None are going to be perfect.

Both Seagate and WD have had problem years. Take note of which models people are flaming about and you'll prolly see this. Personally, I've used both, liked both. Course when I've had to get one, I've seemingly bought either before or after the problem year.

Just gotta learn to look for that when you buy one. Last 1TB drive I got, I had to do a full search looking at the reliability on the model years. Settled on Seagate because WD at the time was having some issues and I haven't been disappointed.

Only been one manufacturer that I've had the most problems with. That was Maxtor. Dealt with a lot of their drives in Macs that I would work on. Terrible quality. Then I'd dig in e-waste bins at my college and sure enough most of the drives listed as dead were Maxtors. Glad they aren't around anymore.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Then I'd dig in e-waste bins at my college and sure enough most of the drives listed as dead were Maxtors. Glad they aren't around anymore.

Maxtor was bought by seagate in 2006

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
No i dont rely on newegg reviews - I rely on techsite reviews like guru3d, TPU & Hardwarehaven etc etc. I do look at Newegg reviews but i dont take them seriously Just like I would yours.

as for my 'stupid logic' - I would be even more stupid to buy something thats known to have a high failure rate. I dont like losing data or constantly having to deal with RMA's. rather be safe then sorry.

Im sorry i dont fit your critera.

So, let me get this straight, you won't buy a hard drive that has a "known" high failure rate. You base your opinion that Seagate has a high failure rate on the fact that you can google for Seagate Failure and you get results. So when you do the same with WD you get a bunch of results too, so does that mean you don't buy WD either? So what drives do you buy?

Can I ask what sort of systems you fix, whether it's mostly business systems/custom builds or OEM pre-builts for home consumers? I tend to find Seagate to have a very good reliability with their SCSI and business-grade drives (as do WD), but A LOT of their consumer end drives have very poor reliability and I mean hardware-wise, not firmware. All HDD manufacturers had issues with firmware at some point (WD/Seagate and even Samsung with their pre-February 2011 2TB F4s). Same goes for WD drives -- I have 640GB WD Blues known for their great reliability that never have problems; their external/OEM pre-built used drives, on the other hand, have had pretty bad reliability in my experience. I personally ran four WD10EARS drives for a while -- 1 died before the year was up (I got a replacement that still works), 3 of those died shortly after.

I'm not trying to defend either of them, but the only thing I will say is that I can see why Samsung lost money on their HDD division: they seem to be the premium consumer-end HDD manufacturer for the most part -- kind of like a CPU company that only sells to the enthusiast/high-end market, the return isn't there compared to WD or Seagate that bin their failed retail drives to use in budget external drives/OEM systems, which I never saw Samsung do and which is no doubt where the money is.

Most of what I fix are consumer pre-builts.

Personally, I bought 3 WD 400GB RE2 Enterprise drives to run in RAID5, within 6 months 2 had failed and needed to be RMA'd. I just bought two RE4 500GB drives for a RAID1 array. One came totally DOA. It came sealed in a WD box, but there was a small tear in the ESD bag, and a dent in the top of the drive! So somewhere after the ESD bag was put on the drive, but before it was boxed up a the WD factory, something was either dropped on the drive or the drive was dropped.

Then there was the WD Raptor firmware issue that caused the drives to totally brick themselves after 50 days of running straight. And it took 10 Months:eek: for WD to finally release a fixed firmware...

I'm not saying you are wrong, the enterprise drives definitely are more reliable generally, just pointing out a few examples of WDs having problems, sometimes major. Desktop drives are generally less reliable, but honestly I wouldn't put extra money into an enterprise drive at this point, because they aren't that much more reliable.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
So, let me get this straight, you won't buy a hard drive that has a "known" high failure rate. You base your opinion that Seagate has a high failure rate on the fact that you can google for Seagate Failure and you get results. So when you do the same with WD you get a bunch of results too, so does that mean you don't buy WD either? So what drives do you buy?

Not just that i can google it - but word of mouth my friend. even though googling WD failures pulls up a lot of stuff. I have heard a lot more about seagate then WD. Sure random people can bitch about anything they think is wrong with the drive - but if they all bitch about a certain thing in particular - does that make them all liars?

for example - you go on holiday to an exotic country and you have no idea where you are but you need to get to your hotel which is roughly located in the area so you ask for directions - 15 people point towards north, 2 people point towards the west.

are the 15 people that point north liars because they are random people??

your 'logic' doesnt make much sense either :shadedshu

and what do i buy you ask??? My pre-seagate samsungs are still working just great thanks. Im still rocking an older F1 in my rig and it has been flawless.

When one of them does choose to die. I will attempt to get another pre-seagate samsung but if that fails then I will most likely head over to WD for lack of a better option or give Toshiba a go.

I have WD Scorpio blacks in both my laptops and they run great.

YoukY63

I will answer for him. Check at this (french only, sorry): http://www.hardware.fr/articles/843-6/disques-durs.html

On this website they analyzed the sells of one of the major e-shop in France, and calculated the failure rates for hard drives, motherboards, power supply, etc... for each brand and each models. The sample number for hard drives exceeds >10,000s, so their is no problem on the reliability of their numbers (and that is wayyyyy more accurate than your methodology).
Results: failure rates for hard drives sold between October 1st 2010 and April 1st 2011, analyzed from October 1st 2010 to October 1st 2011 (that means disks between 6 months to 1 year old)
-Samsung: 1.5%
-Seagate: 1.8%
-Western Digital: 2%
- Hitachi: 3%

The same analysis 1 year earlier:
-Samsung: 1.8%
-Seagate: 2%
-Western Digital: 1.5%
- Hitachi: 3.1%

The give the full details, they even add that for this year, if they remove the sells of Seagate 7200.11 160GB impacted by old buggy firmware, the 2010-2011 failure rate would be "only" 1.6%.

Anyhow, Seagate HD are not worse than WD disks. So thank you to not scare people with biased informations.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
my 160GB seagate barracuda is lucky to have survive for ~6 years then (oh wait, my 6GB seagate medalist is still alive D: )

System Name Custom DIY
Processor Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8 Turbo 1.4v
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro 8801
Cooling XSPC RS240 + 120mm Rad/fan
Memory Corsair 1866 Vangence 9-10-9-27-2T
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX570 SLI
Storage OCZ Revodrive 110GB + 2x1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS MT276HE
Case CoolerMaster Sniper
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
Power Supply ANTEC TP-750 Blue 750Watts
Software win7 64
Benchmark Scores http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1347866
i think that since company have made 1 TB + HD the failure rate as raised up consistently ... in general i ad more HD failure in the last years that in the other 10 years total i worked with computer... and thats any brand ... and a bit more seagate with their firmware problem on the 1TB

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Oddly i think it depends on person to person. Like i have only had one bad WD and that was on a 850MB hdd that has a loose PCB on it.

How ever near every single Seagate or WD drive i have had only Seagate have give me bad blocks but worked for years after still.

However, some people have nothing but issue's with WD drives and none or near no issue's with Seagate drives.