• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Secure Boot: Handy Malware Backdoor for Nosy Governments?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
thanks and not surprising. qubit reads too many FUD blogs.

the unfortently fact is that people like qubit will read that and then claim is nothing but lies by the evil corporations and there million stock holder to push there agenda of ridding the world of Linux ... :banghead:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
You see this is the problem with "qubit news". The post is full of potentials and maybes but people ignore that.

and you sir seem like a troll since post #1 I see nothing wrong with this type of journalism. He isnt using slander, He is simply pointing out what COULD happen if this WERE to become a problem. Just because software engineers have had the ability to backdoor your PC for the past 30 years is irrelevant, but true. The fact of the matter is that however unlikely it may be it is something that can be a real problem either now or down the raod, and what if this secure boot is adopted and developed further? what if companys start doing it? what if they FORCE you to have it enabled? what if they dont have an opt-out to scan your PC for updates in the future? what if that turns into some anti pr0n act and they start filtering you on the PC level? unlikely? How unlikely is it? their have been a number of bills attempting to be passed that censor the net. what makes doing it on the hardware level diffirent? I see nothing wrong with these news stories, you may think their biased or what have you. But I think he does a good job of showing you all the angles and the not so immediate effects of what things could be. Of course I dont have the mind of a child. So when I read this I can put together what he is saying as fact and what could happen.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
and you sir seem like a troll since post #1 I see nothing wrong with this type of journalism. He isnt using slander, He is simply pointing out what COULD happen if this WERE to become a problem. Just because software engineers have had the ability to backdoor your PC for the past 30 years is irrelevant, but true. The fact of the matter is that however unlikely it may be it is something that can be a real problem either now or down the raod, and what if this secure boot is adopted and developed further? what if companys start doing it? what if they FORCE you to have it enabled? what if they dont have an opt-out to scan your PC for updates in the future? what if that turns into some anti pr0n act and they start filtering you on the PC level? unlikely? How unlikely is it? their have been a number of bills attempting to be passed that censor the net. what makes doing it on the hardware level diffirent? I see nothing wrong with these news stories, you may think their biased or what have you. But I think he does a good job of showing you all the angles and the not so immediate effects of what things could be. Of course I dont have the mind of a child. So when I read this I can put together what he is saying as fact and what could happen.
paranoia is the gateway to ignorance
and no
NONE of his post cite ANY facts 100% of his posts are conjecture or lose assumptions based on oddball sources and personal bias
I am done with this thread and pretty much any thread by qubit I can only hope that eventually something will be done before techpowerup's good name is ruined by people like him

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
paranoia is the gateway to ignorance

thanks hemmingway, are you part of the dead poets society as well? It almost seems like your trying to classify me with your book quote. I'll have you know i fear nothing from secure boot and i honestly dont think the govt will use my PC to its advantage. But their is no need to attack someone for mentioning what could happen. If thats the case im going to yell in BOLD text at everyone who reccomends a new PSU when theirs a graphics card problem. Because obviously going by liner logic the PSU could never cause an issue with a graphics card.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
no the point is techpowerup isnt the-register or the national inquirer
techpower up does not report baseless-conjecture or link to sites like the above OR at least It never used to. if I wanted to read about WHAT IFS and MABYS and other assorted tin foil hat _news_ I would read slashdot or phoronix
and as much as I hate my self for using this card I can't think of any better way to put it
the foss user thought process
> disagree with lowly windows user > claim to be Superior > fail > blame Microsoft > tell everyone that mean ol corporations and "the man" are out to get them > be proven wrong by the majority of users >QQ

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
no the point is techpowerup isnt the-register or the national inquirer
techpower up does not report baseless-conjecture or link to sites like the above OR at least It never used to. if I wanted to read about WHAT IFS and MABYS and other assorted tin foil hat _news_ I would read slashdot or phoronix
and as much as I hate my self for using this card I can't think of any better way to put it
the foss user thought process
> disagree with lowly windows user > claim to be Superior > fail > blame Microsoft > tell everyone that mean ol corporations and "the man" are out to get them > be proven wrong by the majority of users >QQ

so he should be linking here?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
so he should be linking here?

no he should't be linking at all in fact he should't be writing at all
everyone of his posts is a mixture of assumptions and FUD he has YET you show any credible proof of anything he is reporting
every-post I read by him reads like he is desperately searching for a way to connect his dots in such a manor that gives credit to his theory anyone or anything that is coperate or not "open" is evil and is out to get him
So yeah, you're damn right I'm negative about this technology and I'm going to keep writing news articles about it. Remember, governments and big corporations like nothing better than to restrict and control the population for their own gain and profits.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa take the tin foil hat off please
I should add that that kind of reporting is EXACTLY whats wrong with journalism today and its the kind of thing I can't stand

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
frankly I really don't care the more he writes the more people think he is out of his gourd sooner or later the shit will hit the fan
/out

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
everyone of his posts is a mixture of assumptions and FUD he has YET you show any credible proof of anything he is reporting
every-post I read by him reads like he is desperately searching for a way to connect his dots in such a manor that gives credit to his theory anyone or anything that is coperate or not "open" is evil and is out to get him

frankly I really don't care the more he writes the more people think he is out of his gourd sooner or later the shit will hit the fan
/out

One Moar thing....please use the edit instead of multiple posts;)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I should add that that kind of reporting is EXACTLY whats wrong with journalism today and its the kind of thing I can't stand

Because I can see that you're making a lot of sense... :rolleyes:

/out
In your opinion, of course. Note the following:

- It's not possible to please everyone all the time. A lot of people appreciate my articles - thankyou :toast:
- You trash my news, but naturally offer no reasonable counter argument
- If you don't like my articles, then why do you read them and then whinge pathetically every time? They are very simple to avoid
- There's the comments section of TPU. If you have to whinge about them, do it there and quit crapping and derailing my news threads
- You say I'm talking rubbish, but that's just your opinion. I see nothing that makes your opinion more valid than mine and I know you don't either
- Please don't double post
- You really are very rude and offensive. How would you like it if someone kept calling for you to lose your job? You've already had some of your worst posts deleted. :nutkick: Get a life