• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer On Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

koorosh

System Name Heftop!
Processor Pentium Dual Core T3400 @ 2.16 GHz
Motherboard Toshiba
Memory 2GB Kingston + 1GB Samsung DDR2
Video Card(s) Crappy GMA X4500 128MB shared
Storage Toshiba 500GB 5400rpm
Display(s) 15.4"
Case Satellite Pro S300-EZ1511
Software Vista HB SP2 32bit | Fedora 16 x86_64
and I really don't understand why people would want something this new on the consumer side of a Linux OS...

It doesn't matter it's consumer or enterprise it should have linux support soon enough. Things has changed and you don't need to wait years for linux to support latest hardware. It may be become custom to use linux on your old hardware but it's not necessary, linux runs great on new hardware too.

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Sounds like vague BS...Still doesn't help the poor people that paid for these turds thinking they would be a good chip but got fooled by the name....and on FM2....OK so in other words AM3+ is dead already...F*ck off AMD...at least the ATI division is still worth something.....the B4 stepping wont ever happen....They will likely abandon this and move on...

and I really don't understand why people would want something this new on the consumer side of a Linux OS...
R U kidding? The Bulldozer is going to sell out everytime it released. AMD won't be able to meet demand which sucks, it will just take me longer to get one. We do know a B3 revision is coming, we also know AMD know Bulldozer needs to be faster. If they can tweak the design enough it may perform much better than what we have today.

D

Deleted member 67555

It doesn't matter it's consumer or enterprise it should have linux support soon enough. Things has changed and you don't need to wait years for linux to support latest hardware. It may be become custom to use linux on your old hardware but it's not necessary, linux runs great on new hardware too.
I understand that but Linux is better imo at using way less resources than a Windows OS..So I don't see the need for Top of the line or newer hardware...oh wait this chip sucks ass...nevermind

R U kidding? The Bulldozer is going to sell out everytime it released. AMD won't be able to meet demand which sucks, it will just take me longer to get one. We do know a B3 revision is coming, we also know AMD know Bulldozer needs to be faster. If they can tweak the design enough it may perform much better than what we have today.

You're right because most people don't pay attention to sites like this or are loyal Fanboi's that can't except it's a turd...
As for the revision..Read between the lines..They are gonna try Higher Clocks and a more efficient IMC...that's not gonna help that much because as it's pointed out again and again it's design flaw in the pipeline...same as Netburst....I'm guessing they will take the same route Intel did with Piledriver

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I understand that but Linux is better imo at using way less resources than a Windows OS..So I don't see the need for Top of the line or newer hardware...oh wait this chip sucks ass...nevermind

You're right because most people don't pay attention to sites like this or are loyal Fanboi's that can't except it's a turd...
As for the revision..Read between the lines..They are gonna try Higher Clocks and a more efficient IMC...that's not gonna help that much because as it's pointed out again and again it's design flaw in the pipeline...same as Netburst....I'm guessing they will take the same route Intel did with Piledriver
O.K. I will post this again. Not sure if true, but it makes sense with the revisions based on process steppings. And once again can these minor improvements be enough to "at the very least" blow away any Phemon II CPU out of the water? In my estimation we should be able to see a 10% to 15% bump in performance with this B3 stepping clock for clock vs. the B2 stepping Bulldozer. That IMO is AMD's goal to at least ensure it's faster than the older based gen i.e.: Phenom II's. Acually it now makes a lot of sense and the reason why you cannot find FX 8100's anywhere, because AMD scraped the B2 stepping in favour for the B3 coming either late Dec 2011 or sometime in Jan 2012.
So what about this so called B3 stepping. This was posted on semiaccurate by somebody that calls themself ATInsider. If what he says is true, how much performance can a B3 give Bulldozer before Piledriver gets released with another added 10% increase?
AMD FX – Series B3 revision is more than just a basic stepping:
I have direct knowledge of a possible B3 revision for the AMD FX line of CPUs. I cannot disclose performance projections at this time, but be assured AMDs processor division is working vigorously on a (B3) stepping revision with minor architectural tweaks. The base architecture will not be changed at this time.
Within the B3 stepping revision, expect minor tweaks to the following:
1) L1, L2 and L3 latencies
2) Cache Thrashing Issues
3) Modified Algorithms for Branch Prediction
4) Healthy Bump in Processor Frequency
5) Slight Frequency increase via NB Controller
6) “Total Intelligent Control”
:confused:For example programs and applications should look at the module design approach and the ability for the processor to intelligently turn off and/or turn on specific cores that it believes is hindering performance for maximum performance. (May be for Socket FM2, not sure at this time).
7) Power will be improved but not my much. We will have to wait for Socket FM2 or a future B4 revision for the AM3+ platform for better power efficiency especially when Over-clocked.
ATInsider
http://semiaccurate.com/2011/10/17/bulldozer-doesnt-have-just-a-single-problem/comment-page-1/#comment-11399

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
What does this have to do with the current FX chip and Linux? Nothing. Please stay on topic.

Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
What does this have to do with the current FX chip and Linux? Nothing. Please stay on topic.
O.K. but I was answering a question. Anyhow my point was the B3 revision may bring performance increases to have them perform better in benchmarks.

BenchZowner

System Name Benching Rig
Processor Intel Core i7 Extreme 965
Motherboard Foxconn BloodRage
Cooling Liquid Nitrogen - K|ngp|n pots masterpieces
Memory CellShock & CSX D9GTR 1GB DIMMs ( 3* )
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 280 SLI
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 730BF
Case My bench
Audio Device(s) Benching rig, no sound :D
Power Supply Modded OCZ ProXStream 1000W
Just me or do the colors on those grafts burn your eyes too:cry:
anyway I think Intel and AMD have a deal. AMD makes low end cpus and Intel doesn't enter the GFX market.

BenchZowner

System Name Benching Rig
Case My bench
Just me or do the colors on those grafts burn your eyes too:cry:
anyway I think Intel and AMD have a deal. AMD makes low end cpus and Intel doesn't enter the GFX market.

Burn my eyes no, but I'm a bit hardcore, even 12 hrs of continuous battlefield 3 gameplay can't burn my eyes.

I can agree that the colors are a bit funky, not my fault, Swiff Charts Pro decides the colors everytime ( you can change them, but I didn't really thought about the colors it picked this time :p )

It,s prob my Asus monitor:) it has the no touch buttons and I tend to have piles on my desk that set them off and f the settings up.
On topic though I think we will see some improvement in linux/win7 with core optimization but in the end it is what it is. A Ford is not a Porsche no matter how much you tweak it.

Bulldozer does O.K. in those benchmarks. But it doesn't say anything about disabling the onboard graphics on the i7 and i5 CPU's.

BenchZowner

System Name Benching Rig
Case My bench
The integrated GPU was disabled.
Enabled or disabled it wouldn't make any difference at all anyway.

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
I did somemore digging about todays Benchmarks. check this out :cool:
Vapor
Posted on: 10/19/2011 02:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The real reason that Bulldozer did not stack up in the benchmarks is the compiler used for for each of the benchmarks. All of these closed-source benchmarks are compiled on the standard Intel compiler with the Intel libraries. It is not optimized to support any instructions beyond SSE3 for any processor other than Intel chips. SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, and FMA4 significantly increase the floating point performance of AMD processors, but are not used by code compiled on an Intel compiler. Intel was sued for this and settled rather than fix it.

If you look at the integer performance of the benchmarks, AMD almost always out-performs the intel chips and shows a 15-30% increase in performance over the Phenom II x6 processors. If the compiler used was completely optimized for both Intel and AMD, floating point performance would also show similar gains.

Lastly, under full load where all of the threads are being used, the Intel chip is not physically capable of beating the AMD chip. 4 cores that complete one instruction each per cycle cannot physically beat 8 cores completing 1 instruction each per cycle, when threads are continually running.

Lets compare My favorite to Intels best as it is easier to see the elephant in the room.

AMD fx-4170
4.2ghz 1866mhz RAM 12mb Cache total. 1mb L2 per core

Intel 2600K
3.6ghz 1333mhz RAM 9mb Cache total. 1mb L2 for all cores

Intel Fanboys will say it supports 1600RAM but it will run at 1333 unless you overclock it and AMD can overclock RAM to 2500 easy so lets compare fairly. Also intels Hyperthread causes stuttering. It requires ineffiency in order to gain a boost, by having gaps in code it threads other processes in those gaps. Being ineffective makes hyperhthread run well, but since it only has 1mb L2 cache having to store any extra data to hyper-thread creates stuttering
I would also like everyone to understand many of these benchmarks online are biased. Some were re-re-posted before final silicone was ever in existence. Some have obvious falsehoods like showing hyperthread on a 2500's CPU-Z readout. They usually fix them when you comment on this too.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

LOL! Yeah, I have both a 8150 and a 2500K. I don't find myself using the 8150 too much. Why? The 2500K is faster in everyday use and gaming all while using way less power. For servers, BD is a good buy due to it's price... as long as you don't care about the electricity bill.

You know, I see your posts all over the internet.. on other forums. I'm really starting to believe you actually work for AMD and you're just spreading your BS to save face. Am I wrong? If so, what is your motiviation?

it will just take me longer to get one.

If you really want one, PM me. I do ship to AMD headquarters. :laugh:

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Still just BS. Show me proof, show me that every user can buy a chip, plug it in, and get different results, and I might start listening. Conjecture on compiler optimizations doesn't help the end user, and until it does, that whole thing is just plain old BS.

Thanks anyway.

And yes, I have a very large BIAS...TO THE TRUTH.:roll:

I've noticed that Turbo isn't working properly on many boards, with cores sitting @ 1400 MHz(idle), while two clock up, even though all should be clocking up to 3300MHz with my chip. This same issue could be happening in every review...do I care?

Nope!

What matters is not what is possible, but what the end user will experience. Change that experience, and then speak up, as until then, it just seems like pulling at straws.

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
For servers, BD is a good buy due to it's price... as long as you don't care about the electricity bill.

I would wait for you to see Interlagos/Valencia reviews before you infer Zambezi is clocked the same as Interlagos and Valencia :laugh:

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I would wait for you to see Interlagos/Valencia reviews before you infer Zambezi is clocked the same as Interlagos and Valencia :laugh:

Um. Okay? :rolleyes: You missed my point as I'm not really talking about Interlagos/Valencia not to mention it's not the topic of this thread.

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Um. Okay? :rolleyes: You missed my point as I'm not really talking about Interlagos/Valencia.

You are inferring that Bulldozer on the desktops is representative of Bulldozer on the servers

For servers, BD is a good buy due to it's price... as long as you don't care about the electricity bill.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You are inferring that Bulldozer on the desktops is representative of Bulldozer on the servers

No, I'm not. I'm inferring that a Bulldozer desktop chip can be used as a servicable server chip. Either way, it doesn't matter. I own the chip and I deem it a pretty good failure all around. :) Cheers to waiting for a new stepping or whatever. Now please, lets see some charts and graphs that I don't care about.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
No, I'm not. I'm inferring that a Bulldozer desktop chip can be used as a servicable server chip. Either way, it doesn't matter. I own the chip and I deem it a pretty good failure all around. :) Cheers to waiting for a new stepping or whatever. Now please, lets see some charts and graphs that I don't care about.

Congrats on your 27,000th post. :toast:

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
I'm inferring that a Bulldozer desktop chip can be used as a servicable server chip.

A workstation chip you mean then like the LGA 1366/LGA 2011 platform

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
A workstation chip you mean then like the LGA 1366/LGA 2011 platform

Yes, though not as efficient.. I think. I don't have much experience with LGA 1366/2011. Brass tacks, BD needs better single threaded performance and lower leakage. Fix that and it's a big win for everyone.

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Yes, though not as efficient.. I think. I don't have much experience with LGA 1366/2011. Brass tacks, BD needs better single threaded performance and lower leakage. Fix that and it's a big win for everyone.

Improved single threaded performance is coming 2013 with Steamroller
Leakage improvements is coming 2012 with Piledriver/2014 with Excavator

^-- there is more stuff involved but that is the general idea what you get from the SOG

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!

^-- there is more stuff involved but that is the general idea what you get from the SOG

They need improved single threaded performance yesterday, not 2 years from now.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

This I know.

They need improved single threaded performance yesterday, not 2 years from now.

This I agree with.