• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

News Section Feedback Goes Here

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I understand what you are saying, Bta, and given that W1zz thanked you on the post he agrees with you.
I guess I feel that the people who come to TPU are looking for three things; hardware help, software help and gaming help. It is because of this that I feel the sections I mentioned would be useful to the TPU members.

I'm still trying to come up with a vision for GPU that would make it stand out, as I feel that there is still room in the gaming website realm to be something new and innovative. I also think that there is room to have a software site that caters to users in a better way than what's out there. Perhaps W1zz is looking to expand upon the offerings available to TPU members, perhaps not. But until he completely bails out on the idea of moving into new areas, I will ponder it. It's more of a mental challenge than playing Sudoku,;)

I could create my own site, but I like the TPU community and the way everything here is run. It is my opinion that there is no better place to come for assistance and community than TPU. It is for that reason that I would rather help build W1zz's empire than start a new one.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Perhaps W1zz is looking to expand upon the offerings available to TPU members, perhaps not.

always, but need vision, strategy, implementation ideas and manpower

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
As far as the original intent if this thread goes, I think the news coverage has been exceptional.
The coverage has been not just timely, but better than the "big" sites. It is my personal opinion that the content of the news is more objective and to the point than almost all of the other sites I visit.

I think that the member's responses are for the most part on topic and within what I would consider appropriate.
I think the overall way that TPU is managed has a lot to do with the attitude of it's members and how they respond and reply to threads. There are times when things run amock, but that is usually the exception, not the rule, and the mods do a fine job of keeping things well in hand.

All in all, excellent job everyone! :toast:

@Bta, I think you should make up fake news stories once in a great while to keep us on our toes. ;) They will probably be picked up by major news channels in the US as real. lol

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
i'd be interested to see the daily hit count to see if less people visit on TPU on the weekends due to little to no news. just curious.

There are less people logged into the forums Friday night through the weekend. However, I'm certain it's because people what to get out and do something on the weekend rather than cruise forums.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Just wanted to pop in here and say that I am really liking the news content at the moment, in particular the addition of qubits articles.

This site always had, and still has, all the news I want and come here for about hardware and gaming, but now qubit has brought in a whole different angle on the news, in respect to the articles he posts. As oppose to straight up information some of them have contained a lot of food for thought and discussion in the area below.

Special mention to qubit but it is the whole news team, guys you are doing better than ever!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Just wanted to pop in here and say that I am really liking the news content at the moment, in particular the addition of qubits articles.

This site always had, and still has, all the news I want and come here for about hardware and gaming, but now qubit has brought in a whole different angle on the news, in respect to the articles he posts. As oppose to straight up information some of them have contained a lot of food for thought and discussion in the area below.

Special mention to qubit but it is the whole news team, guys you are doing better than ever!

Thankyou very much wolf, it's great to feel appreciated! :toast:

I think having a different angle from a second writer (me, in this case) makes for more interesting and varied news stories. And if we should get a third writer, then so much the better!

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
I appreciate the site and every person that contributes to making it what it is. I have no issues with the way things are written by anybody and I appreciate all of the news stories. Even if it's something I don't want to hear cough*Bulldozer failing*cough. Keep up the good work guys, you truly do make this the best site on the web.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64

I have to respectfully disagree. While qubit's passion is obvious, the fact that his opinion completely washes over the actual "news" he's trying to report can be irritating. It's one thing to have an opinion, but it's quite another to beat you over the head with it under the guise of reporting news. His latest Ubisoft post is a perfect example. He spends the entire article bashing the very DRM that's he's supposed to be reporting is not being used anymore.

If you're going to report news, do it. If you're going to write editorials don't call it news. If I want someone on a soapbox I'll read an Nvidia vs ATi thread.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I have to respectfully disagree. While qubit's passion is obvious, the fact that his opinion completely washes over the actual "news" he's trying to report can be irritating. It's one thing to have an opinion, but it's quite another to beat you over the head with it under the guise of reporting news. His latest Ubisoft post is a perfect example. He spends the entire article bashing the very DRM that's he's supposed to be reporting is not being used anymore.

If you're going to report news, do it. If you're going to write editorials don't call it news. If I want someone on a soapbox I'll read an Nvidia vs ATi thread.

Thanks for your view, much appreciated. :toast: Thing is, with any non-neutral and bland style of reporting, it's gonna be like Marmite - some love it, some hate it.

An editorial is something like my article Are The Days Of DRM Numbered? which I actually marked as an editorial and you can see the difference there in reporting there. Note that the "Editorial" logo only appears on the front page, unfortunately.

System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
qubit I like your work, honestly the people that hate on it seem to have a disposition to be the guy/gal that hates on everything.

Basically, keep up the good work.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
qubit I like your work, honestly the people that hate on it seem to have a disposition to be the guy/gal that hates on everything.

Thankyou! :rockout:

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Im fairly new here, so my opinion is not as worthy as some longer term members of course, that said, this is a great place to hang out on the net im finding. Good atmosphere. great news articles and great content, thanks for providing for to me. I am very grateful.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
While qubit's passion is obvious, the fact that his opinion completely washes over the actual "news" he's trying to report can be irritating.

I hear if ya post anything that conflicts with his news or debate his opinion that he will report all of your posts, after a lengthy back and forth, until people get infracted. This is the biggest reason why I avoid his news posts... That being said he is a decent guy and is new at the news so passion might be clouding judgement on his part.

An editorial is something like my article Are The Days Of DRM Numbered? which I actually marked as an editorial

If I remember right you only marked as an editorial after a lot of people bitched about it not being news.

Last edited:
Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Thanks for your view, much appreciated. :toast: Thing is, with any non-neutral and bland style of reporting, it's gonna be like Marmite - some love it, some hate it.

An editorial is something like my article Are The Days Of DRM Numbered? which I actually marked as an editorial and you can see the difference there in reporting there. Note that the "Editorial" logo only appears on the front page, unfortunately.

Maybe our ideas of editorials differ then; my idea of news isn't one sentence of news, two paragraphs (or what passes for paragraphs in your particular writing style.) I'm not saying you shouldn't voice an opinion; that's fine and dandy. It's just that your opinion shouldn't be the central focus of a news article unless you're trying out for a job at Fox News Channel. One man's opinion, I suppose.

Yeah, because I definitely have a reputation around here as someone that hates on everything. :wtf:

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Yeah, because I definitely have a reputation around here as someone that hates on everything. :wtf:

You got called out Don....see, can't hide all the hate forever.:roll:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I hear if ya post anything that conflicts with his news or debate his opinion that he will report all of your posts, after a lengthy back and forth, until people get infracted. This is the biggest reason why I avoid his news posts... That being said he is a decent guy and is new at the news so passion might be clouding judgement on his part.

If I remember right you only marked as an editorial after a lot of people bitched about it not being news.

Wrong and wrong, my friend. :) And here's why.

1 You can be as conflicting as you like and disagree as much as you like. The people that may have got nailed are the ones who were just throwing cheap insults at me and were generally thread crapping with personal attacks towards me. Doing this is against the standard forum rules for anyone, hence the mods err, moderated. I've had people give me scathing replies, but with an attempt at constructive criticism and I'm fine with that. Heck, in some cases I've even thanked such posts! :toast:

2 No, I'll mark something as an editorial if it really is an editorial. I think there was one article where people convinced me that it should be marked that way, so I did. That's only taking on board what people are saying, not bowing to pressure. So, I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't aren't I? :p For example, I posted Are The Days Of DRM Numbered? the other day as an editorial straight off, because that's the kind of article I intended it to be. In the end, the line between an editorial and a standard news article is a blurred one, since an editorial is often based on news.

So, the long and the short of it is, you're very welcome to post as much as you like in my news threads and can feel free to "call me out" on anything you disagree with. I may well strongly disagree with you, but hey, discussing stuff is what we have a forum for! Avoiding cheap personal attacks and staying within the forum rules is the only requirement.

Maybe our ideas of editorials differ then; my idea of news isn't one sentence of news, two paragraphs (or what passes for paragraphs in your particular writing style.) I'm not saying you shouldn't voice an opinion; that's fine and dandy. It's just that your opinion shouldn't be the central focus of a news article unless you're trying out for a job at Fox News Channel. One man's opinion, I suppose.

The key thing to remember is that my news style is like Marmite: you either love it or hate it. :laugh: If I went all bland and boring(tm), trust me, I'd have fans of my current writing style calling me out on that too, lol.

And believe it or not, writing news without the commentary is actually easier and quicker, because you're just regurgitating something you've seen or read. My articles put food for thought in with the news I'm reporting and that takes a lot more time, effort and concentration.

Now, if I make a factual error in the article, such as a wrong date or something, then I appreciate being advised of this, so I can fix it poste haste.

Last edited:
System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

My post was a bit too vague. Some of the people that were posting came across as much. But if you want to put your hat in with theirs, that's your call.

I'm not going to call anyone out directly, as it's not my style. I personally dislike conflict in general and much prefer that people just get along.

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
My post was a bit too vague. Some of the people that were posting came across as much. But if you want to put your hat in with theirs, that's your call.

I'm not going to call anyone out directly, as it's not my style. I personally dislike conflict in general and much prefer that people just get along.

This is how i feel too, well said if you dont mind me commenting.;)

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

That's because he didn't even know the editorial marker existed, until I marked it (on that particular editorial piece).

I'll blame the rest on the fact that I'll be 5 1/2 hours ahead of qubit to reach ZOMG2012.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I hear if ya post anything that conflicts with his news or debate his opinion that he will report all of your posts, after a lengthy back and forth, until people get infracted.

The posts in news articles are no different than the posts in any other section.
If the posts violate the ettiquette posting guidelines of TPU, then a response by the mods may occur (ie. Name calling, thread crapping, excessive obsenity etc. etc.)
It is still our perogative to deal with reported posts or not. There are reported posts that result in no action because it is just someone being butthurt when no warnable or infractionable action has occurred.
As in all threads, if the back and forth responses anger you to the point where you lose control and violate the guidelines, then it is prudent to not stay involved in the thread long enough to reach that point. No one is making you cross the line or forcing you to stay involved in any discussion.

This is not directed at anyone in particular ... just a general tip from yer ol' Uncle Kreij ;)

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
The posts in news articles are no different than the posts in any other section.
If the posts violate the ettiquette posting guidelines of TPU, then a response by the mods may occur (ie. Name calling, thread crapping, excessive obsenity etc. etc.)
It is still our perogative to deal with reported posts or not. There are reported posts that result in no action because it is just someone being butthurt when no warnable or infractionable action has occurred.
As in all threads, if the back and forth responses anger you to the point where you lose control and violate the guidelines, then it is prudent to not stay involved in the thread long enough to reach that point. No one is making you cross the line or forcing you to stay involved in any discussion.

This is not directed at anyone in particular ... just a general tip from yer ol' Uncle Kreij ;)

I hear ya we all just need to take these forums as a grain of salt... I try to get along the majority of the time. :toast: ie. don't get butthurt :D

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
Since commenting on the quality of news posts in the news posts seems to frowned upon, I'll just avoid qubit's articles as are they are unprofessional, irritating and over the top in just about any case where he seems to have a strong personal view.

Why is that you can do this just fine:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155327

But end up with this at others?
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155317

btarunr's news posts are excellent and all a news post should be. qubit's ones may read like his personal blog as opposed to the front page of TPU and are severely degrading the quality of the main page.

Just my 2c.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Our views, your views.

Since commenting on the quality of news posts in the news posts seems to frowned upon, I'll just avoid qubit's articles as are they are unprofessional

Apparently this practice of sensationalizing news and injecting lame opinion into news is okay to do here, so I'm just going to stay out from now on as well. I mean really, is this what you want Btarunr? From what I gather you are the head of this news department and your news posts seem to be to the point and void of unecessary opinion. Why the change with the new guy? DO you really think it brings in more people? I can see the extra news stories posted on weekends and such without the unecessary opinon bringing in people as well. If I have to roll my eyes any more at some of the "news" being produced here I'm afraid my eyes will give out and I won't be able to read at all. :(

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Either way (and ive mentioned this in one of qubits other articles) people should NOT be bashing him in the thread.

The way i see it, if youre going to bitch about it, take it to PM's and leave it out of the main thread. The thread is there for news and your opinion ON THE NEWS. Not on how the news is written. It doesnt look good for newcomers to the site.

Isnt that basically what Bta said on page 1 post 1?