• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stem cells may be the cure for damaged hearts

T

twilyth

Stems cells were harvested from patients and then grown in the lab. When they were reintroduced to areas affected by scarring from previous heart attacks, not only was the scarring reduced but the pumping ability of their hearts improved - often dramatically.

Source

Is a cure for heart failure on the horizon? In a finding some are calling a breakthrough, heart failure patients given stem cells taken from their own bodies showed dramatic and lasting improvement.

The researchers tested the experimental stem cell therapy in only 16 patients, according to a written statement released in conjunction with the research. But if the finding is confirmed in additional studies, "It could offer an entirely new option and a potential cure for patients who are now dying from heart failure," study author Dr. Roberto Bolli, director of cardiology at the University of Louisville in Kentucky, told ABC News.

"The improvement we have seen in patients is quite encouraging," another University of Louisville researcher told WebMD.

"Michael Jones, our first patient, could barely walk 30 feet [before treatment]," Dr. John H. Loughran said. "I saw him this morning. He says he plays basketball with his granddaughter, works on his farm, and gets on the treadmill for 30 minutes three times a week. It is stories like that that makes these results really encouraging."

For the study - published in on Monday in The Lancet and presented at an American Heart Association meeting in Orlando, Fla. - researchers harvested stem cells from the patients' hearts during bypass surgery at Jewish Hospital in Louisville.All of the patients had severe heart failure, as shown by measurements of how much blood the heart's main pumping chamber, the left ventricle, was able to "eject" with each contraction. The patients all had a left ventricle ejection fraction (LVEF) of 40 percent or lower. An ejection fraction of 50 percent or higher is considered normal.

The stem cells were purified and allowed to grow in number, and then reinfused into the regions of the patients' hearts that had been scarred by their heart attacks. Four months after the reinfusion, the LVEF of the patients who had gotten the stem cells rose from 30.3 percent to 38.5 percent. One year after reinfusion, eight of the patients showed even more dramatic improvement.

In addition to testing ejection fraction, the researchers did MRI scans of the patients' hearts - and found that the area of scarring had fallen significantly in those who had gotten the stem cell treatment. That finding seems to disprove the long-held belief that once scarring occurs, the heart tissue is forever dead.

"The results are striking," Bolli said in the statement. "While we do not yet know why the improvement occurs, we have no doubt now that ejection fraction increased and scarring decreased. If these results hold up in future studies, I believe this could be the biggest revolution in cardiovascular medicine in my lifetime."

But other experts expressed caution.

"This is positive, but the crucial next steps are to see whether this improvement is confirmed in the final completed trial, and to understand whether the cells are actually replacing damaged heart cells or are secreting molecules that are helping to heal the heart," Dr. Peter Weissberg, medical director of the British Heart Foundation, told the BBC.

Dr. Bolli said a follow-up study is in the works.

The study comes more than two years after a heart failure patient at Cedars Sinai Heart Institute in Los Angeles became the first in the world to have stem cells from his own body reinfused into his heart, as CBS News reported.

WebMD has more on heart failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I saw that on the NBC Nightly News program and the first thing that came to my mind: you got to expire some time.

T

twilyth

Could a mod please fix the title to say "stem cells" instead of "stems"? Thank you.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Title fixed Twil.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Dick Cheney is going to live longer!

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma / Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth / Roccat Isku
Software Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores one time I scored a 3 on 3dmark 11
Isn't there stem cell treatments? I remember hearing about a lady who lost part of her pinky and regrew it with a few months of stem cell treatments and $1700

T

twilyth

Title fixed Twil.
Thank you. :)
Dick Cheney is going to live longer!
You're just . . . twisted. You're the guy who sees a naked woman on a motorcycle and wonders if it's a '98 Ducati or a '97. :toast:
Isn't there stem cell treatments? I remember hearing about a lady who lost part of her pinky and regrew it with a few months of stem cell treatments and $1700
Good point. Previously they had used stem cells from bone marrow I think and they didn't work. So one Dr. had the idea to harvest the cells directly from the heart. I think this was more difficult not only in terms of gaining access (the first patient had them harvested during open-heart surgery), but also because there are so few natural heart stem cells.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff