• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noises About Radeon HD 7900 Series with XDR2 Memory Grow

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Type of memory is unrelated to PCI-E lanes.

IOMMU in 7-series GPU. That is all.

Pretty sure ECH was thinking about this when mentioning PCI-E. I am sure he was wondering is PCIe bandwidth was enough to take full advantage of the bandwidth offered by XDR2.

Not all users use VGAs for gaming..GPGPU has it's purposes too.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
And it doesn't, there's nothing limiting the card from using XDR on PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Really? I'm clearly ignorant eh? Way to go buddy. Yes, they ARE kinds of SDRAM. But they DIFFER between each. Full stop.

LOL, I'm talking about a 7970 with XDR2 vs 7970 using GDDR5 in current vs next gen PCIe. I should have made "it" more clear but that's what I was referring to.

J

John Doe

IOMMU in 7-series GPU. That is all.

Pretty sure ECH was thinking about this when mentioning PCI-E. I am sure he was wondering is PCIe bandwidth was enough to take full advantage of the bandwidth offered by XDR2.

Not all users use VGAs for gaming..GPGPU has it's purposes too.

LOL, I'm talking about a 7970 with XDR2 vs 7970 using GDDR5 in current vs next gen PCIe. I should have made "it" more clear but that's what I was referring to.

PCI-E has sufficient bandwidth to make use of memory. Do you have an idea on how much bandwidth PCI-E x16 2.0 can provide? How much of it is used by memory? A miniscule amount.

System Name Ladpot ◦◦◦ Desktop
Processor R7 5800H ◦◦◦ i7 4770K, watercooled
Motherboard HP 88D2 ◦◦◦ Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Mixed gases ◦◦◦ Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, D12SL-12, liq.metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB DDR4-3200 ◦◦◦ 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 ◦◦◦ heaps of dead GPUs in the garage
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2TB ◦◦◦ Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006 / Contour Balance Keyboard / Logitech diNovo Edge
Software W11 x64 ◦◦◦ W10 x64
Benchmark Scores It does boot up? I think.
You are currently running DDR3-SDRAM.
Right, instead of SDR-SDRAM (Single Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory).
John Doe obviously referred to data rate with "SD" (SDR-SDRAM), not the basic type of the DRAM.

You're being a pedant for no reason.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
PCI-E has sufficient bandwidth to make use of memory. Do you have an idea on how much bandwidth PCI-E x16 2.0 can provide? How much of it is used by memory? A miniscule amount.
I see, LOL you must be having a bad day arguing with people here. Let me put it this way as I really find your reply silly. I want to see the benchmark results and find your reply pointless.

J

John Doe

I see, LOL you must be having a bad day arguing with people here. Let me put it this way as I really find your reply silly. I want to see the benchmark results and find your reply pointless.

Does DDR to GDDR3 make difference from AGP to PCI-E x16? It doesn't. Memory as a whole doesn't matter to a significant amount. It doesn't make enough difference to be noticeable from one type to another, let alone from one interface to the other. What matters is the GPU itself; it's core. Not the memory, which is why your arguement is pointless.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Memory controller interfaces with system ram, via DMA, over PCIe bus.

XDR2 has it's own specialized controller, which may affect how system memory is accessed. PCIe 3.0 offers less overhead, which may make transfers faster over PCIe 2.0, if done right.

Add in the IOMMU, for additional system ram accesses, and yes, the interface used might play a role.

I'm not sure why you think it's a moot point. Nothing wrong with answering a question, now is there?

J

John Doe

Memory controller interfaces with system ram, via DMA, over PCIe bus.

System RAM is sufficiently fast. Like I said, nothing is limiting XDR2. For a fact, nothing is limiting PCI-E 2.0 at all. That's why 3.0 still isn't set up yet.

XDR2 has it's own specialized controller, which may affect how system memory is accessed. PCIe 3.0 offers less overhead, which may make transfers faster over PCIe 2.0, if done right.

Add in the IOMMU, for additional system ram accesses, and yes, the interface used might play a role.

You're talking as if mem performance matters over what we currently have. Not to a significant amount, and 2.0 already has low overhead.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Does DDR to GDDR3 make difference from AGP to PCI-E x16? It doesn't. Memory as a whole doesn't matter to a significant amount. It doesn't make enough difference to be noticeable from one type to another, let alone from one interface to the other. What matters is the GPU itself; it's core. Not the memory, which is why your arguement is pointless.
Your post is pointless. You can't reference older ddr or gddr3 to AMD's next gen video cards using current hardware. Which is why I said the tests should be done. Get mad all you want but your entire reasoning, referencing old hardware is the very reason why I made the suggestion. The only way to know what the results are is if it's tested once it's made available. :laugh:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
For a fact, nothing is limiting PCI-E 2.0 at all.

System ram efficiency affects GPU performance. Just fire up a CodeMasters title to see what I mean. I use F1 2010 in my board reviews specifically because it's so sensitive to system ram performance.

You're talking as if mem performance matters over what we currently have

The addition of an IOMMU into the GPU itself does make the memory subsystem a bit more important for GPGPU. Gaming...time will tell.

J

John Doe

Your post is pointless. You can't reference older ddr or gddr3 to AMD's next gen video cards using current hardware. Which is why I said the tests should be done. Get mad all you want but your entire reasoning, referencing old hardware is the very reason why I made the suggestion. The only way to know what the results are is if it's tested once it's made available. :laugh:

What's done will be done. The card isn't out yet, so the closest comparison I can do would be with older hardware.

System ram efficiency affects GPU performance. Just fire up a CodeMasters title to see what I mean.

Bullshit.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Reading comprehension in important. I said Bandwidth efficiency, not speed. There is very much a huge difference between the two.

Slower CPU, but faster memory, wins. Note that both are using identical ram speeds(1333 MHz 9-9-9-24). The APU platform is far more efficient at memory control than Thuban's.

I make a point of using benchmarks anyone can replicate.

J

John Doe

Reading comprehension in important. I said Bandwidth efficiency, not speed. There is very much a huge difference between the two.

Neither changes anything in this case since both PCI-E 2.0 and DDR3 already have a fast balance.

Slower CPU, but faster memory, wins. Note that both are using identical ram speeds(1333 MHz 9-9-9-24). The APU platform is far more efficient at memory control than Thuban's.

I make a point of using benchmarks anyone can replicate.

That doesn't have anything to do. It's comparing a different CPU memory controller to the other, not lane controller or faster memory to slower.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That doesn't have anything to do. It's comparing a different CPU memory controller to the other, not lane controller or faster memory to slower.

That's exactly my point. XDR2 has it's own controller, which will use the PCIe bus to communicate with system ram. Like how the APU controller makes better use of the bandwidth available, likewise, XDR2's controller may as well. This may place greater load on the PCIe bus.

This is doublied by the addition of an IOMMU, which is basically just yet another memory controller, but one specific to System Memory Access, rather than both accessing system memory, and onboard caches. Perhaps the use of the IOMMU is needed with the XDR2 contorller, or perhaps not...time will tell.

It's something to be aware of, and to look at, when and if this new technology is used. This also bolster's ECH's interest in if PCIe matters..he never said it would matter...he was curious how it will play out. Could amount ot nothing, of course, but it's far to early to tell.

chron

And it doesn't, there's nothing limiting the card from using XDR on PCI-E 2.0 x16.

Really? I'm clearly ignorant eh? Way to go buddy. Yes, they ARE kinds of SDRAM. But they DIFFER between each. Full stop.

He's just saying you were ignorant about one small fact, not in general.

J

John Doe

He's just saying you were ignorant about one small fact, not in general.

No, I wasn't. I referred to "SD" and "SDR" RAM. Not as DDR RAM. It's only uninformed if you don't know what you're reading.

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
The prices Rambus charges puts their products out of the consumer range. This isn't happening, I'm confident. This is just scuttlebutt.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
There is no manufacturer of memory currently even making XDR2. So how are you suppose to validate a memory controller without any memory chips? How are you suppose to make cards without any memory to put on them so you can validate the card?

I wish there was a black hole on the internet where we could put this XDR2 rumor so it would never return. :banghead:

chron

There is no manufacturer of memory currently even making XDR2. So how are you suppose to validate a memory controller without any memory chips? How are you suppose to make cards without any memory to put on them so you can validate the card?

I wish there was a black hole on the internet where we could put this XDR2 rumor so it would never return. :banghead:
The industry is probably at a point where they can see where things are going with a certain kind of technology, even when it's at it's infant stage.

It's only a matter of time before RAMBUST sues AMD too. LOL
Yep they had litigation, but we weren’t actually made privy to what to an exact settlement. Could have RAMBUS and AMD worked out an agreement for use of technology? RAMBUS honestly at some point needs to find someone, they aren’t friendly with Nvidia so AMD is a likely partner.

The prices Rambus charges puts their products out of the consumer range. This isn't happening, I'm confident. This is just scuttlebutt.
Well that was back a long time ago, and then it really never made it to market so hard to say that position is valid today with the right partner. While it will be the premium offering on the highest end offer card. If it works... there will be takers

So what’s Rod Dhat Solution Marketing Manager for RAMBUS using? How do you know who is or who’s not making chips? Then why did AMD seemingly start branding Radeon memory that might have been Hyundai (Hynix)? Your entire dither presents the dumbest argument. You're saying a company like AMD can’t find somewhere/someone to make R&D samples and production? ...wow is your thinking that pathetic! :wtf:

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Jeeze will you all stop your bitching... :roll:

IF this thing has XDR2 I want it !!! :laugh:

Because of the extra bandwidth not only would 256 mem bus be still usable on next generation high end, but 128 could be used on GPU's as powerful as the current 6970 making the GPU's smaller and cheaper. Since AMD sells GPU's (at least after the initial release of reference cards) not complete cards or the RAM chips, it would make the product they sell cheaper to produce. They've already paid the licensing, which I read runs out this year, I see no reason for AMD not to do it. Providing of course it's readily available and the engineering isn't so hard as to hold back production.

Add to that AMD seems to like to be ahead of the curve vs. nVidia with new tech.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
System RAM is sufficiently fast. Like I said, nothing is limiting XDR2. For a fact, nothing is limiting PCI-E 2.0 at all. That's why 3.0 still isn't set up yet.

You're talking as if mem performance matters over what we currently have. Not to a significant amount, and 2.0 already has low overhead.

so you would prefer a 6990 with 4 gigs of cheap ass DDR3 rather than GDDR5.