• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why Do We Dream? To Ease Painful Memories, Study Hints

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

A military guard sleeps in the ruins of Hatra, a UNESCO World Heritage site in Iraq, in an undated picture.

In a recent experiment, brain scans of people who viewed emotionally provocative pictures and then went to sleep showed that the part of the brain that handles emotions powered down during rapid eye movement, or REM, sleep—the stage in which dreams occur.

What's more, the subjects reported that the images had less of an emotional charge the morning after. This suggests that REM sleep may help us work through difficult events in our lives, the researchers say.

Why we sleep is still unknown, and even more elusive is the relationship between sleep and our emotional well-being, said study leader Matthew Walker, a neuroscientist at the University of California, Berkeley.

(Read about the mysteries of why we sleep in National Geographic magazine.)

There's already anecdotal evidence for sleep's therapeutic benefits—such as the oft-repeated adage that a person will go to bed and feel better in the morning, Walker said.

And clinical data show that psychiatric mood disorders, from anxiety to post-traumatic stress disorder, can lead to sleep abnormalities.

"Despite that suggested interplay, we've understood remarkably little about the basic brain science that may underlie a relationship between our emotional lives and our sleeping lives," he said.

As his new research now suggests, "it's not time that heals all wounds—it's REM sleep."

Sleeping on It Helps

For the experiment, Walker and colleagues divided 34 healthy young volunteers into two groups. People in each group viewed and rated their reactions to 150 images shown at 12-hour intervals while an MRI scanner measured brain activity.

The pictures, which have been used in hundreds of studies, ranged from bland objects—i.e., a kettle on a counter top—to gory pictures of people maimed in accidents, Walker said.

One group viewed the pictures in the morning and again in the evening without sleeping in between. The other group saw the same images before a full night of sleep and again the next morning.

The volunteers who slept between viewings reported a much milder emotional reaction to the images after the second viewing.

(See "Dreams Make You Smarter, More Creative, Studies Suggest.")

MRI scans performed during REM sleep revealed that brain activity fell in the amygdala—the emotion-processing part of the brain—possibly allowing the more rational prefrontal cortex to soften the images' impact. (See an interactive brain map.)

In addition, recordings of the subjects' electrical brain activity during sleep made with electroencephalograms showed a decrease in the levels of brain chemicals linked to stress.

When people experience an emotional event, stress chemicals are released to flag and prioritize that event, essentially reminding the brain to work through it during sleep, according to Walker, whose study appeared November 23 in the journal Current Biology.

"Somewhere between the initial event and the later point of recollecting, the brain has performed an elegant trick of divorcing emotions from memory, so it's no longer itself emotional," Walker said.

"That's what we mean by overnight therapy."
from national geographic

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
This probably explains why I like to sleep a lot when I'm depressed :laugh:

I'm curious how nightmares affect this though.

On the contrary old memories won't ever let me sleep :confused:

Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
On the contrary old memories won't ever let me sleep :confused:
That's what made me comment about nightmares. I know plenty of people whose painful memories cause nightmares, which obviously don't ease the pain.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
:confused: We know the reason why we (and all mammals) sleep: it is a time when the body basically goes into repair mode fixing damaged tissues (like muscle tissue from exercise or injury as well as for fighting off infections). On the other hand, if you never sleep, the body can't repair itself and something will eventually give from cellular breakdown.

The brain, on the other hand, categorizes and stores short term memories into long term memories. Dreams occur when you wake up preemptively during that process. This is also why dreams are usually a jumbled mess--the brain doesn't transfer from short to long in chronological order. The order it does it is largely unknown.

As other's pointed out, I think the results will vary on who you study and how they cope with trauma. Recurring nightmares are something of a mystery but your random nightmare is likely the result of what you "saw" as a memory transferred. If it is something you fear--it'd likely be considered a nightmare.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II
Storage Corsair F120 SSD +9,5TB storage
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64
Benchmark Scores I only care about practical performance.
:confused: We know the reason why we (and all mammals) sleep: it is a time when the body basically goes into repair mode fixing damaged tissues (like muscle tissue from exercise or injury as well as for fighting off infections). On the other hand, if you never sleep, the body can't repair itself and something will eventually give from cellular breakdown.
Is that a fact.

http://boingboing.net/2008/05/10/threeyearold-boy-has.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Herpin

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/sci...y-wright-randy-gardner-david-blaine-2855.html

I'm not claiming they don't have some sort of "hidden" function that they are not aware they are sleeping, but one would think "dozing off" for a few minutes every now and then would at least result in some kind of injury. Surely, the body doesn't care what "you" are up to if it feels the need to sleep. Take it from someone who fell asleep behind the wheel :rolleyes:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Tired driving is as bad or worse than drunken driving.

Tired driving is as bad or worse than drunken driving.
I haven't tried driving drunk, but my job has had me driving extremely tired on multiple occasions and it's scary as fuck, especially in traffic.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I don't know about this.

I have had some traumatic experiences and it only took time to get over them.
At random or due to someone marginal, it can trigger the recollection of the event(s) in dreams further on down the track.

Seeing the image of the soldier, my Father admitted to me, for a long time after the war he was in, he was still getting a reoccuring memory of things he experienced.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Extreme 6
Cooling Thermalright Venemous X
Memory 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 480
Storage A-Data 128GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) HANNspree 25" 1080p 2ms
Case Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) Creative XFI
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750w
Software Win 7 pro x64
Is that a fact.

http://boingboing.net/2008/05/10/threeyearold-boy-has.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Herpin

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/sci...y-wright-randy-gardner-david-blaine-2855.html

I'm not claiming they don't have some sort of "hidden" function that they are not aware they are sleeping, but one would think "dozing off" for a few minutes every now and then would at least result in some kind of injury. Surely, the body doesn't care what "you" are up to if it feels the need to sleep. Take it from someone who fell asleep behind the wheel :rolleyes:

While they may have a condition that does not allow them to sleep, However, I am willing to bet that they day dream often. Daydreaming is technically classified, according to my psychology teacher, in the same category as sleep.
When you're awake, if you haven't gotten enough rest the night before, then your mind will lapse into daydreams. These daydreams allow your brain to sort through events that may have occurred throughout your day. It also uses this time to sort through and decide what it's going to transfer into long term memory and what its going to discard.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I figured this out a long time ago... I mean I'll go to sleep sad or stressed out from a long day of BS and wake up feeling refreshed.

Should have made a well documented study of my findings... crap.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
I haven't tried driving drunk, but my job has had me driving extremely tired on multiple occasions and it's scary as fuck, especially in traffic.

I've done both. Only one resulted in a crash. And might I add, from my experience, people should be more mad at you for driving under the influence of sleep deprivation...
As a side note, I wont say "I'm not proud to have DUI [of alcohol]", because I really do believe that being tired is a lot worse for countless reasons. In retrospect I might go so far as to say my judgement was more impaired tired than while drunk, but maybe that's just me.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813

Did my first stint of motorway driving in the dark, early hours last week for work, it was 06:30am and completely pitch black when I joined the motorway yet really busy and I had only had maybe 5 hours sleep, needless to say it definately took a lot more concentration than usual so I can only guess how bad it would of been with no sleep.

I've done both. Only one resulted in a crash. And might I add, from my experience, people should be more mad at you for driving under the influence of sleep deprivation...
As a side note, I wont say "I'm not proud to have DUI [of alcohol]", because I really do believe that being tired is a lot worse for countless reasons. In retrospect I might go so far as to say my judgement was more impaired tired than while drunk, but maybe that's just me.
You're probably right. I normally refuse to drive when I'm that tired, but when I'm on call and my boss tells me to get my ass somewhere, he doesn't give a flying fuck whether or not I'm tired because I'm getting paid to be available for immediate dispatch.

The_Ish

Processor Intel i7 2600K
Cooling Corsair H60
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Software Win 7 x64
You're probably right. I normally refuse to drive when I'm that tired, but when I'm on call and my boss tells me to get my ass somewhere, he doesn't give a flying fuck whether or not I'm tired because I'm getting paid to be available for immediate dispatch.

He'll be sorry if you do crash. I hit a semi head on at about 50mph. By some miracle, I only broke two toes and got some minor scrapes on my face and left arm and a small gash on my left knee. Since then I always tell people who do stupid stuff that seemingly insignificant choices can make an enormous difference in, not only your life, but your entire family and friends lives..