• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radioactive decay is not a constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
This discovery isn't going to have much impact on anything except the age of the known universe. We're still talking billions of years old but it might end up being ± 1 billion years from 13.75 billion years old instead of the tighter margin of error previously used (± 0.11 billion years).

why? i thought current age of the universe is calculated from hubble's constant which is nowadays calculated from WMAP data but other data sources like galaxy observations gave similar results ?

T

twilyth

It plays into radiation treatment also. It will allow doctors to be more precise in the dosage.....in theory.

Do they still use radioisotopes in treating cancer? I thought they used directed energy like the gamma knife - where you use low dose x-rays from multiple angles intersecting the tumor.

Anyway, proton beam therapy is better and safer than either. The problem is that you need to build a cyclotron in the basement of your facility in order to offer this treatment and I think there are only 2 or 3 of these machines on the US east coast.

Thatguy

Everybody knows there are problems with the standard model. For example the zero point energy predicted by quantum mechanics is off by 120 orders of magnitude from what is measured via the Casimir effect.

I think most physicists would be excited to find that there is some new physics to be discovered beyond what the current standard model can account for.

The standard model, is born flatly out of observational ignorance.

Steven Douglas

This discovery isn't going to have much impact on anything except the age of the known universe. We're still talking billions of years old but it might end up being ± 1 billion years from 13.75 billion years old instead of the tighter margin of error previously used (± 0.11 billion years).

Sorry for digging up such an old thread, especially as a first time poster, but this is one I found intriguing.

What I could not discern from what I have learned thus far is whether the decay rates of all radioactive materials are affected.

If all decay rates are affected by neutrino interaction, this could potentially affect what we know about geophysics, and specifically Plate Tectonics. While it is commonly thought that the Sun was around 70-75% as hot during the Archean, the Earth was exponentially less depleted. It is also thought, based on the unusually high concentration of nitrogen in the Earth that a storm of neutrinos, mostly solar in origin, could have attacked the Earth through the Archean.

From one paper:

The storm of neutrinos from the young sun might have attacked the primitive earth because it is argued that the cyclic thermal expansion of the solar core may be connect to the cyclic occurrence of the glacial epoch. Although the neutral pion is recognized as a non-exchange part in the nuclear strong field, it clearly plays a decisive role in nuclear transmutation of carbon-oxygen nuclei pairs as catalyst of dynamic nuclear interaction.

Simply put, and assuming an increase in neutrino bombardment equates to an increase in nuclear decay, could a storm of neutrinos from the Sun throughout the Archean caused the Earth to be much hotter than previously thought?

This is intriguing to me because we are hard pressed to understand or reach a general consensus on why Plate Tectonics (by whatever mechanisms) ever got started on the Earth, let alone continues today.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@Steven Douglas

I'm sorry I don't know enough about this to have a proper debate with you. However, what you say seems to make sense and I just want to welcome you to TPU! :toast:

Steven Douglas

@qubit - Cheers!

Nothing to debate, really. I have an avid interest in geodynamics, but I am by no means an expert or authority. I was just throwing it out there as an intellectual curiosity more than anything. It's one of those things where a relatively small effect can seem only mildly significant on first glance, but when I think about it on actual geological timescales, and multiply the sheer number of actively decaying elements involved some 3-4 Gya, the ramifications for early Earth processes look staggering to me.

Most of the radiogenic elements in the earth are fixed in quantity and have long been depleted, but if neutrino storms accelerated this depletion process early on, in ways nobody anticipated given the a priori assumption of decay rates as reliable constants - that could equate to heat production and heat flows on scales nobody has considered.

Meh, fun to think about anyway. :)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Sorry for digging up such an old thread, especially as a first time poster, but this is one I found intriguing.

What I could not discern from what I have learned thus far is whether the decay rates of all radioactive materials are affected.

If all decay rates are affected by neutrino interaction, this could potentially affect what we know about geophysics, and specifically Plate Tectonics. While it is commonly thought that the Sun was around 70-75% as hot during the Archean, the Earth was exponentially less depleted. It is also thought, based on the unusually high concentration of nitrogen in the Earth that a storm of neutrinos, mostly solar in origin, could have attacked the Earth through the Archean.

From one paper:

Simply put, and assuming an increase in neutrino bombardment equates to an increase in nuclear decay, could a storm of neutrinos from the Sun throughout the Archean caused the Earth to be much hotter than previously thought?

This is intriguing to me because we are hard pressed to understand or reach a general consensus on why Plate Tectonics (by whatever mechanisms) ever got started on the Earth, let alone continues today.
Plate tectonics are actually fairly easy to explain. Under our feet, about 95% of it is magma and other liquid metals which have currents and flows just like on the surface in the oceans. The other 5% is at the flow's mercy having no point of stability except itself. The crust forms naturally because of the temperature difference between the vacuum of space and the hot interior of the Earth. The plates are the result of the magma flows creating tensions on the surface which in turn, cause the plates to break where they are weakest.

Basically, plate tectonics started in much the same way as slag occurs on molten iron. The iron is more dense than the crust and has internal flows because of the variation in temperature. The less dense slag is at the flows mercy.

There's only two areas of parting consensus I know of:
1) The Expanding Earth theory. That is, as the Earth cools, it expands in size. Just as someone putting fat on fast creates stretch marks, Earth growing (since skin is more flexible than rock) creates fissures which in turn form plates.

The theory opposing it with more consensus is that Earth was always the same size more or less and the magma flows created the plates.

2) The source of heat at the center of the Earth. There's theories from nuclear fission to plain old pressure. Obviously, there's no way to test the core of the Earth--only theorize about it.

As for decay, it is a can of worms that will take a long time to unravel. The scientists studying it didn't think it had much of an impact but there is no way to prove it either way. All we really can be pretty sure about is the sequence of events--not when they happened relative to modern dates.

Bow

System Name SLOW-MO-SHUN III
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 7950X 4.5ghz 16 Core
Motherboard MSI MPG X670E Carbon wifi
Cooling Quench 360 Liquid Cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR 5-5200
Video Card(s) NVidia GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB GDDR6X
Storage 1TB Kingston NV2 M.2 SSD 2TB 2.5 SanDisk SSD Plus
Display(s) Asus 28" VP28UQG 4K 3840x2160
Case Athena M1, 6 Chassis Fans
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA Super Nova 1000W
Mouse Razer Deathadder
Keyboard Razer Ornata
Software Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
It all depends on the distance from the Sun. Could be days off. Could be thousands of years off. They don't know. All in all its a kick to the nuts of Archeology and quantum phyics......I love it!

:toast:

Steven Douglas

Plate tectonics are actually fairly easy to explain.

It's actually not quite that simple. There is quite a difference between what is being commonly taught and what is actually known. Despite "molten slag", mantle plumes (of every shape size and ad hoc definition), rolling convection cells (whole or partial mantle) and other visualizations, we are still without an accepted mechanism for what triggers, causes and drives Plate Tectonics. That is not controversial, as I can give a ton of quotes to that effect from some of the most respected Penrose Medal winning names in the industry.

Here is an excerpt from the USGS: (emphasis mine)

The tectonic plates do not randomly drift or wander about the Earth's surface; they are driven by definite yet unseen forces. Although scientists can neither precisely describe nor fully understand the forces, most believe that the relatively shallow forces driving the lithospheric plates are coupled with forces originating much deeper in the Earth.

We know that forces at work deep within the Earth's interior drive plate motion, but we may never fully understand the details. At present, none of the proposed mechanisms can explain all the facets of plate movement; because these forces are buried so deeply, no mechanism can be tested directly and proven beyond reasonable doubt. The fact that the tectonic plates have moved in the past and are still moving today is beyond dispute, but the details of why and how they move will continue to challenge scientists far into the future.

That is actually a very mild, diplomatic way of putting it. It is not a simple question of knowing the basics as we try to refine the details. As a contributor and presenter to the GSA, I know firsthand the level of controversy that exists in this field. The only thing that is not controversial is the fact of controversy itself.

"Alfred Wegener's theory of continental drift died in 1926, primarily because no one could suggest an acceptable driving mechanism. In an ironical twist, continental drift (now generalized to plate tectonics) is almost universally accepted, but we still do not understand the driving mechanism in anything other than the most general terms" - Walter Alvarez

All that to say, Plate Tectonics, for as invaluable as it has been as a working paradigm, has produced as many questions as answers, and is still very much in search of fundamental, definitive support, after thirty years of enthronement as the reigning paradigm. That has nothing to do with alternative theories (e.g., "expanding/growing earth), but rather theories that fall firmly within the Continental Displacement/Plate Tectonics regime.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
It's actually not quite that simple. There is quite a difference between what is being commonly taught and what is actually known. Despite "molten slag", mantle plumes (of every shape size and ad hoc definition), rolling convection cells (whole or partial mantle) and other visualizations, we are still without an accepted mechanism for what triggers, causes and drives Plate Tectonics. That is not controversial, as I can give a ton of quotes to that effect from some of the most respected Penrose Medal winning names in the industry.

That is actually a very mild, diplomatic way of putting it. It is not a simple question of knowing the basics as we try to refine the details. As a contributor and presenter to the GSA, I know firsthand the level of controversy that exists in this field. The only thing that is not controversial is the fact of controversy itself.

"Alfred Wegener's theory of continental drift died in 1926, primarily because no one could suggest an acceptable driving mechanism. In an ironical twist, continental drift (now generalized to plate tectonics) is almost universally accepted, but we still do not understand the driving mechanism in anything other than the most general terms" - Walter Alvarez

All that to say, Plate Tectonics, for as invaluable as it has been as a working paradigm, has produced as many questions as answers, and is still very much in search of fundamental, definitive support, after thirty years of enthronement as the reigning paradigm. That has nothing to do with alternative theories (e.g., "expanding/growing earth), but rather theories that fall firmly within the Continental Displacement/Plate Tectonics regime.
You a geophysics major?

Steven Douglas

You a geophysics major?

No, I'm actually an old man. My degrees are in physics and electrical engineering. I worked in geophysics on the mineral exploration side in my younger years (ground resistivity and ground/aerial magnetometer surveys). I learned from the geophysicists I worked with, and have a circle of geologist and geophysicist friends still, but I'm otherwise self-taught over the years. Even the papers I present are all self-funded, just an avocation for me.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
No, I'm actually an old man. My degrees are in physics and electrical engineering. I worked in geophysics on the mineral exploration side in my younger years (ground resistivity and ground/aerial magnetometer surveys). I learned from the geophysicists I worked with, and have a circle of geologist and geophysicist friends still, but I'm otherwise self-taught over the years. Even the papers I present are all self-funded, just an avocation for me.

Ah very nice. I'm currently studying for Geophysics and found your post quite intriguing.

But welcome to our forums, we are a decent bunch and you can guarantee we will be there in your time of need (and from my experience here, that isn't just tech exclusive).

T

twilyth

@Steven Douglas: Welcome. There are a lot us older folks here and it's always a pleasure to find a member with a rigorous scientific background.

One of the theories I've heard that makes some sense to me is the idea that tectonics is caused by convection currents in the mantle and that these in turn result from radioactive decay of heavy elements like Uranium near the core. It seems to me that without some internal heat source, our core should have solidified long ago. How well regarded is this idea? Thanks.

Processor Phenom II 955 @ 3955Mhz 1.45v
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 push-pull /2x140mm + 2x230mm + 2x120mm = super noisy computer
Memory 4x2Gb Kingston DDR3-1333 8-8-8-22 @ 1527Mhz
Video Card(s) Crossfire 2x Sapphire Radeon 6850 @ 850/1200
Storage 320Gb Western Digital WD3200AAJS
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1920x1080
Case Azza Solano 1000R Full-Tower
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S (integrated) + quadraphonic speakers
Power Supply CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 700w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
i remember a video where a 405nm laser was shined on thorium ore and there was an unexplained drop in gamma ray emission but i just cant seem to find the video...damn

Processor Phenom II 955 @ 3955Mhz 1.45v
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 push-pull /2x140mm + 2x230mm + 2x120mm = super noisy computer
Memory 4x2Gb Kingston DDR3-1333 8-8-8-22 @ 1527Mhz
Video Card(s) Crossfire 2x Sapphire Radeon 6850 @ 850/1200
Storage 320Gb Western Digital WD3200AAJS
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1920x1080
Case Azza Solano 1000R Full-Tower
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S (integrated) + quadraphonic speakers
Power Supply CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 700w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Steven Douglas

@Steven Douglas: Welcome. There are a lot us older folks here and it's always a pleasure to find a member with a rigorous scientific background.

One of the theories I've heard that makes some sense to me is the idea that tectonics is caused by convection currents in the mantle and that these in turn result from radioactive decay of heavy elements like Uranium near the core. It seems to me that without some internal heat source, our core should have solidified long ago. How well regarded is this idea? Thanks.

There are more schools of thought than there are schools at this point, but that is at least a subset of one of the more popular ones.

Generally speaking, one prevailing school of thought is that the majority of radiogenic heat producing elements are contained within the continental crust, such that heat flow becomes a function of secular cooling of the core and mantle and radiogenic heating of the crust.

Kellogg and others have hypothesized over the past decade or so the possibility of a chemically distinct layer in the lower mantle with a substantial concentration of radiogenic materials to account for heat flow through the surface. This is but one of the many plausible conjectures posited, which can't be directly falsified, but only indirectly tested, while mostly inferred.

Even the general agreement that exists about total heat flow is an adopted number based on approximations using a boatload of assumptions. We can't measure heat loss near mid-ocean ridges, and there are large areas over continents where heat flow is not measured - not to mention we don't know very much at all about radioactive concentration in the lower crust.

How it's received, on the other hand, is another story. Like any new hypothesis, there will be followers just because it is a lead that can be followed. This one is among the more popular flavors of the decade, because it simultaneously reinforces the popular concepts of bottom-up whole-mantle convection and deep mantle plumes.

Those who are engaged or wedded to their own theories tend to respond with either not responding, or else responding with the classic, "Is this really required?" Which, of course, means only that their equally plausible, and in their minds more straight forward or elegant, explanation is to be preferred.

Here is an example [pdf] of how this is dealt with by Warren Hamilton, Penrose Medal winner from the Colorado School of Mines:

A conceptual shift is overdue in geodynamics. Popular models that present plate
tectonics as being driven by bottom-heated whole-mantle convection, with or without
plumes, are based on obsolete assumptions, are contradicted by much evidence, and
fail to account for observed plate interactions. Subduction-hinge rollback is the key to
viable mechanisms. The Pacifi c spreads rapidly yet shrinks by rollback, whereas the
subduction-free Atlantic widens by slow mid-ocean spreading. These and other fi rstorder
features of global tectonics cannot be explained by conventional models. The
behavior of arcs and the common presence of forearc basins on the uncrumpled thin
leading edges of advancing arcs and continents are among features indicating that
subduction provides the primary drive for both upper and lower plates. Subduction
rights the density inversion that is produced when asthenosphere is cooled to oceanic
lithosphere: plate tectonics is driven by top-down cooling but is enabled by heat.
Slabs sink more steeply than they dip and, if old and dense, are plated down on the
660 km discontinuity. Broadside-sinking slabs push all sublithosphere oceanic upper
mantle inward, forcing rapid spreading in shrinking oceans. Down-plated slabs are
overpassed by advancing arcs and plates, and thus transferred to enlarging oceans
and backarc basins. Plate motions make sense in terms of this subduction drive in a
global framework in which the ridge-bounded Antarctic plate is fi xed: most subduction
hinges roll back in that frame, plates move toward subduction zones, and ridges
migrate to tap fresh asthenosphere. This self-organizing kinematic system is driven
from the top. Slabs probably do not subduct into, nor do plumes rise to the upper
mantle from, the sluggish deep mantle.

I probably should have just quoted Hamilton to begin with, rather than shoot my mouth off and open a potential can of worms. But oh well. I really don't have a horse in this race - and I don't see a need for anyone to have one. There is so much that I don't know, especially as regards some of the more complex, and less comprehensible (IMO) work that has been produced. I tend to be more of a champion of "Multiple Working Hypotheses", as I oppose, in principle, the notion of paradigm enthronement of any kind. It is really unnecessary, and can lead to circular self-reinforcement, given how difficult it is to unseat an incumbent (like the Ptolemaic universe and other reigning paradigms).

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X

I must be missing something because how, exactly, does fluid dynamics not account for plate techtonics? Yes, it is impossible to prove but from what we see on the surface, it appears to be a match. Actually, it wouldn't be very hard to produce a computer simulation and attempt to map out all the currents in the magma that would create the plate techtonic movements on the surface.

It sounds to me like Warren Hamilton was unintentionally describing the need for the expanding Earth theory. Personally, I believe plate tectonics are a result of fluid dynamics and the expanding Earth theory. The expanding Earth theory can explain the annomalies in age, especilly under the Pacific Ocean. Fluid dynamics can explain other annomalies like the New Madrid Fault.

Last edited:

Steven Douglas

I must be missing something because how, exactly, does fluid dynamics not account for plate techtonics? Yes, it is impossible to prove but from what we see on the surface, it appears to be a match. Actually, it wouldn't be very hard to produce a computer simulation and attempt to map out all the currents in the magma that would create the plate techtonic movements on the surface.

There are thousands of such models, and they are anything but simple, unless you are talking about a mere visualization. I can do that with a simple rendering program, but it would be scientifically meaningless. I can also do a numerical simulation, but which assumptions do I plug in, and using which physics?

One of the best, most respected modelers in the business is Paul J. Tackley of UCLA - I'll let him do the speaking on that one. None of the following is considered controversial: (pdf, part 2)

The Quest for a Self-Consistent Plate Tectonics (emphasis added)

Lithospheric plate tectonics and mantle convection are
different aspects of the same, coupled system, yet mantle
convection simulations do not exhibit plate tectonic behavior
unless it is imposed by the modeler
. This is because present
convection models assume that the mantle is a viscous fluid,
and ‘realistic’ temperature-dependent viscosity results in an
stiff, immobile, rigid lid. Thus, for example, the present plate
treatment in TERRA requires the direct specification of plates
by the modeler, with the plates then being tracked using
particles, and rules governing the interaction of plate particles at
the plate boundaries. While such approaches are facilitating
some important research, it is ultimately necessary to identify
the correct self-consistent description of plate tectonics and
mantle convection, in which both components arise naturally
out of a unified material description of rock deformation as a
function of temperature, pressure, and stress. Team members
Tackley and David Bercivici at the University of Hawaii have
been investigating such approaches, with some success
(Bercovici 1998; Tackley 1998).

The rigid lid problem is just one problem geodesists and geodynamicists face with models. There are many others - so many variables, known and unknown, especially at depth, with so many observable behaviors of the lithosphere which must be interpreted correctly and accounted for by any model.

It sounds to me like Warren Hamilton was unintentionally describing the need for the expanding Earth theory. Personally, I believe plate tectonics are a result of fluid dynamics and the expanding Earth theory. The expanding Earth theory can explain the annomalies in age, especilly under the Pacific Ocean. Fluid dynamics can explain other annomalies like the New Madrid Fault.

Warren Hamilton, an absolutely brilliant man whom I have talked with at length, has a very specific general theory of his own which is explicable, plausible, and which he believes accounts for all observable lithospheric behavior. But to interpret a call for new paradigm cannot be interpreted by anyone as a call for their favorite paradigm.

Hamilton's problem, one faced by so many in his position in the mainstream, is not that he must dethrone the PT paradigm itself; only a few major governing assumptions surrounding that paradigm, which have become untenable, fraught with problems, and do not fit with what we now understand after 30 years of PT enthronement. That is a daunting task on its own, even for one in the mainstream.

Once the fictitious monster was erected and given putative life, every governing assumption, right or wrong, became vital enough to be defended, even with numerous ad hoc repairs if it was later contradicted by numerical modeling or observation.

I don't personally dismiss out of hand alternate theories of any plausibility, regardless how outlandish seeming at first. That includes Expanding/Growing Earth theories, in all their forms, which offer explanations for many observable phenomena while giving rise to many new problems - big ones, like how to account for the expansion itself, which cannot be volume alone, due to gravity problems, but in some cases a seven or eight fold increase in the mass of the Earth which would be required over a relative short span of geological time (~250My). Furthermore, if a theory involves the assumption of a changing constant, or completely new physics with no foundational support (like in the case of Neal Adams), even then it does not mean that their theories are not true; only that the worker championing that theory is faced with even more daunting tasks - ones usually left to others (e.g., "My theory of FTL travel can explain everything - all we/you all need to do is find a way to make dilithium crystals..."

One of the major problems with paradigm enthronement, rather than a continued Multiple Working Hypotheses approach, involves conclusions that are hastily and prematurely drawn based on observations that falsify an existing theory. The work of Wegener, Hess, Vine, Matthews and many others had successfully and conclusively established that at least some continents were, at one time connected, and had since been displaced - by whatever mechanism which was yet to be established. That much was proved to everyone beyond all doubting. Wegener's "continents plowing through oceanic crust" was untenable (mere conjecture, Wegener did not propose this as part of any theory, but just threw it out there as one plausibility based on what was known at the time).

Another plausibility was "slag floating on molten mantle", with rolling convection cells, and the cyclical creation and destruction of oceanic crust. It was so visually and intuitively plausible, in fact, that it became enthroned as part of the theory just because it makes sense - even though we had no way of knowing at the time if it was true. When that happens, what is known and unknown, including fundamental untested assumptions, are conflated to form the skeleton of a hypothesis which must be later fleshed out - on the a priori assumption that it is all essentially correct. Thus, anything that falls outside that paradigm can, and often is, dismissed without further inquiry.

In this way, science can often be like a friend who asks you to dinner, takes you to McDonalds, lets you know that anything on the menu is available for selection, and then asks you "What kind of a small orange soda would you prefer?"

Anyway, I'm rambling now, and need to stop. All this to say that I think that the pouncing onto and latching hold of anything based on a visually intuitive plausibility is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a lead; one more avenue to explore, so you follow it. But you don't enthrone it. You don't seal off all other avenues of exploration, and channel all resources into a favored channel, regardless how compelling. If it is truth, it will need no defenders, but will reward all adherents - as it reveals itself as such over time.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
This is because present
convection models assume that the mantle is a viscous fluid,
and ‘realistic’ temperature-dependent viscosity results in an
stiff, immobile, rigid lid.
And that's the heart of it, no? We don't know how fluid the magma is and it is difficult to theorize about because there is an enormous volume of it, has variable densities (closer to the center, the more dense it is), variable heat, and variable pressures. You're right, it would be difficult to make a working physics model because there's too many variables and not enough information.

I think there's only one way to get a definitive answer and that is to start construction on probes. At the same time, what applicable knowledge could be gained from this? It would no doubt be very expensive requiring a lot of very exotic materials in order to withstand the heat and pressure. Something has to offset/justify the cost.

...like how to account for the expansion itself...
The core cooling. As it cools, it causes the crust to grow thicker.

...in some cases a seven or eight fold increase in the mass of the Earth which would be required over a relative short span of geological time (~250My).
Mass likely didn't change--density decreased. If mass did increase, it would likely be the result of an extraterrestrial body colliding with the Earth and their respective masses joined.

Random thought: Don't major earthquakes cause days to become a fraction longer? Would that not be explained by the Earth getting a fraction larger?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Anyway, I'm rambling now

Here on TPU we don't "ramble". We "discuss at great length even to the point of nausea".
Until you start seeing tl;dr you are good to go. :toast:

You commented that you are an "old man". How old (if you don't mind me asking)?

One more question, you said that you hold a degree in Physics. Could you switch to writing computer games for a living? The physics in a lot of the games are terrible and the industry needs you. :)

Oh btw ... welcome to TPU.

Steven Douglas

I think there's only one way to get a definitive answer and that is to start construction on probes. At the same time, what applicable knowledge could be gained from this? It would no doubt be very expensive requiring a lot of very exotic materials in order to withstand the heat and pressure. Something has to offset/justify the cost.

The very best we can do with probes at this point, and it is being tried, is tantamount to a tiny pinprick on the skin of the Earth - just at one point, and not relatively deep at that. It is a massive undertaking with results that are extensively studied, and teaching us a lot.

The core cooling. As it cools, it causes the crust to grow thicker.

The word crust has to be qualified, same as the core, as differentiated from the mantle and the crust, all of which cool at different rates, some of which are thermally insulated. Differentiated crust (continental and oceanic) "thickens" by top-down cooling and solidification, but there is a finite amount of chemically distinct continental crust, which does not "thicken" (i.e., the actual mass quantity of continental crust does not increase) with cooling.

Mass likely didn't change--density decreased. If mass did increase, it would likely be the result of an extraterrestrial body colliding with the Earth and their respective masses joined.

An increase in density and not mass would necessarily, and by definition, entail a contraction, not expansion - which would then beg a completely different explanation for new oceans and the displacement of ancient continents. The only way that you can have an expanding earth by way of increased density is to make part of the interior Earth hollow (becomes more dense by displacement) - which may be covered by an entirely different theory described using that word.

A mass increase in the Earth based on collisions or accretion would still need to be explained, including some kind of evidence, including an explanation of how a manifold increase in mass resulted in a continental displacement which occurred only in the past 250 My.

Nothing I want to argue or entertain, necessarily, I'm just describing some of the challenges proposed by any proposition, as I see them.

Random thought: Don't major earthquakes cause days to become a fraction longer? Would that not be explained by the Earth getting a fraction larger?

Shorter, not longer, but not based on a change in diameter. Google "earthquakes lod" (sans quotes) - lots of stuff on that.

You commented that you are an "old man". How old (if you don't mind me asking)?

51-ish. Not really old, just too old to have "a major" in something. lol

One more question, you said that you hold a degree in Physics. Could you switch to writing computer games for a living? The physics in a lot of the games are terrible and the industry needs you. :)

Oh btw ... welcome to TPU.

Cheers!

No, my code writing ability is atrocious, I'd just make the games worse. I do like playing games, but could never write them. And, btw, I don't hold advanced degrees in anything. No Masters, no PhD. Moreover, I have Huntington's Disease - initial onset - which has caused a deterioration of my brain to the point where I can't even do the math any more - even relatively simple stuff. Thus, a lot of stuff I won't even get very far into here, and will readily cave in and turtle on arguments, just to avoid taxing myself. Gotta budget those interests, so whatever I talk about here, take it all with a shaker of demented salt!

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The very best we can do with probes at this point, and it is being tried, is tantamount to a tiny pinprick on the skin of the Earth - just at one point, and not relatively deep at that. It is a massive undertaking with results that are extensively studied, and teaching us a lot.
Yes, which is why we need a device that will bore through the crust, hit the mantle, and presumably fall to the core. It would have to be extremely dense and very thermo-resistant (hence expensive).

The word crust has to be qualified, same as the core, as differentiated from the mantle and the crust, all of which cool at different rates, some of which are thermally insulated. Differentiated crust (continental and oceanic) "thickens" by top-down cooling and solidification, but there is a finite amount of chemically distinct continental crust, which does not "thicken" (i.e., the actual mass quantity of continental crust does not increase) with cooling.
The thickening of the crust would presumably be composed of the same material in the mantel closest to where the two meet. So yes, chemically they're likely not to be the same.

An increase in density and not mass would necessarily, and by definition, entail a contraction, not expansion - which would then beg a completely different explanation for new oceans and the displacement of ancient continents. The only way that you can have an expanding earth by way of increased density is to make part of the interior Earth hollow (becomes more dense by displacement) - which may be covered by an entirely different theory described using that word.
An increase in volume with no increase in mass means a decrease in density. I said "density decreased," not increased.

A mass increase in the Earth based on collisions or accretion would still need to be explained, including some kind of evidence, including an explanation of how a manifold increase in mass resulted in a continental displacement which occurred only in the past 250 My.
You reference 250 My frequently. How was that number reached? Radioactive decay?

Shorter, not longer, but not based on a change in diameter. Google "earthquakes lod" (sans quotes) - lots of stuff on that.
That subject (earthquakes shortening days) still confounds me. Could you explain how, exactly, that happens in a sentence or two? Is it due to the jolt of energy released when the pressure is released? I mean, the length of day is strongly tied to the Moon. How can something minor like that, here on Earth, have any impact on the length of day.

The links suggest "Earth's mass shifted" but that's about as descriptive as calling the Sun orange.

Steven Douglas

You reference 250 My frequently. How was that number reached? Radioactive decay?

No, radioactive decay is involved, but it's based on a very liberal estimate of the age of the very oldest ocean floors, along with an even looser tie-in with the Permian Triassic mass extinction event (The Great Dying), and the Siberian Traps of similar age, which preceded the creation of what are now the deep oceans, and which many believe was a triggering event of some kind, or coupled in some way. The actual oldest "large body" ocean floor is in the western Pacific, near the Mariana Trench, and has been dated to 180 My. All continental crust is much, much older.

That subject (earthquakes shortening days) still confounds me. Could you explain how, exactly, that happens in a sentence or two? Is it due to the jolt of energy released when the pressure is released? I mean, the length of day is strongly tied to the Moon. How can something minor like that, here on Earth, have any impact on the length of day.

The links suggest "Earth's mass shifted" but that's about as descriptive as calling the Sun orange.

Just remember that when we're talking about possible LOD changes based on earthquakes, we are talking MINISCULE hypothetical changes. Even the moon's effect on the LOD is based on tidal forces on a body that is not perfectly solid. If the Earth was a perfect solid, there would be no shifting of mass (especially the oceans), and no change in rotation.

The best lay explanation I can offer: Imagine yourself freefloating in space. Without something to push away from, you will remain in one place (or, at least, on the same Newtonian trajectory). However, you can, by shifting your own mass internally, cause yourself to rotate - quite fast, in fact, without anything but your own mass pushing against itself. You won't go anywhere, but you will rotate. And, conversely, you can "reverse" this rotation by shifts in the opposite direction. That's really all that happens with an earthquake or a tidal shifting of mass caused by any external body (the sun has tidal effects on the Earth as well).

Technically, every single movement you make can cause a miniscule, albeit unmeasurable and negligible, change in the LOD, as your mass, which is part of the Earth, shifts. So when people say that an earthquake caused a shift in the LOD, it is not a question of whether this occurred, but only how substantially it occurred, and in what direction.

Steven Douglas

An increase in volume with no increase in mass means a decrease in density. I said "density decreased," not increased.

My mistake, sorry. An increase in volume, and corresponding decrease in density necessarily means an ENORMOUS decrease in surface gravity over time (inverse square law - [corrected]). That poses many problems, and is untenable on many fronts, only one of which is trapped sediment dunes of a given height that would have been impossible under increased gravity. It also poses a problem for dinosaurs, who are already being made much lighter and stronger than ever previously thought in order to fit the assumption of fixed surface gravity. A decrease-in-density/increase-in-volume would strain that even further, crushing the dinosaurs, even at their already adjusted putative mass and strengths. The only way around that is to increase mass along with volume - and not a small increase in mass, but by many times the original mass of the Earth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.