• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Occasionally no audio from HDMI

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Edit: The issue has been fixed. The cause seems to be the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard.
-I've tried different HDMI cables, both generic and expensive.
-I've tried different HDMI ports.
-I've tried an add-on GPU using the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard.
-I've tried disabling all other audio output sources aside from HDMI.
-I've tried playing with audio settings on the TV.

None of the above worked. I had to swap the motherboard out for the original Biostar one that was in there, but had no HDMI, and add an external GPU (HD 3450 256MB in my case) for it to work flawlessly. The irony is, had I bothered to dig out the HD 3450 when we first bought the TV to allow for HDMI output on the Biostar motherboard, I would not have had to replace it with the Gigabyte motherboard to begin with.

Our parents bought one of the Dynex 55" TVs that were on sale during Black Friday. While they have no complains about the quality, they do have an issue with an occasionally soundless boot.

It seems that whenever the computer is turned on before the TV, the computer will not output any audio. Windows sound settings shows that there is sound but through S/PDIF rather than HDMI. A reboot solves the issue, but it does get annoying. I've tried both a $30 Belkin HDMI cable from Best Buy that my neighbor lent me, and a $3 Rosewill HDMI cable from Newegg. Both have the same issue.

Is this because of the crappy TV? Or is it a Windows 7 or BIOS setting?

The HTPC specs, off the top of my head:
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
Athlon II X2 245
4GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 1000MHz

Last edited:
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Definitely a handshaking problem between the TV and the PC. Easiest way to determine if it is the PC or the TV that is the problem is to connect another HDMI device like a Blu-ray player to the TV instead of the PC using the same HDMI cable and input to see if the problem still occurs between those two devices or not. Even so, doubt there is much you can do to fix the problem unless there is a firmware update available that fixes the problem for the device at fault.

System Name WTF it actually turns on!
Processor AMD FX-8350
Motherboard MSI 990fxa-gd80
Cooling Raystorm swiftech mcp655 xspc dual bay res Rx240 Rs240
Memory 16gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Power color R9 280x
Storage 2x1tb+2x2tb seagates
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27B350H
Case Tt core v51
Power Supply CORSAIR GS700
Try setting hdmi as the default sound device in windows it may help and in the playback devices you can switch from spdif to hdmi without rebooting.

If the tv is not on the pc will not detect a hdmi device so it sets the audio to the next default audio source it's the way windows handles not knowing the audio\video output source.

System Name Main / Home Media Serever
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.75ghz / AMD AM3 5200+ x2
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance / Biostar 790GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight / XIGMATEK Apache
Memory 12gb of G.Skill Value Series DDR3 / 4x 1gb DDR2
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6870 1gb / Asus Radeon 5450 512mb
Storage 2x Samsung 830 64gb SSD Raid 0 & 750gb WD Blue HDD / OCZ Vertex II 80GB & 10TB of HDD Space
Display(s) 2x Acer 24" LED / Samsung 50" LED
Case Xigmatek Asgard II / APEX PC-389-C
Power Supply Rosewill 750w / Antec EArthwatts 380w
Software Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 / Ubuntu 14.04
I have this issue sometimes as well. Maybe try a different driver version? I can usually fix it as well by unlugging and plugging back in the hdmi cable.

Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Try setting hdmi as the default sound device in windows it may help and in the playback devices you can switch from spdif to hdmi without rebooting.

If the tv is not on the pc will not detect a hdmi device so it sets the audio to the next default audio source it's the way windows handles not knowing the audio\video output source.

Will definitely look into that first thing tomorrow. Actually, I just checked, the device itself is enabled, but Windows just won't detect it as plugged in.

I have this issue sometimes as well. Maybe try a different driver version? I can usually fix it as well by unlugging and plugging back in the hdmi cable.

I tried two that and also tried two different HDMI ports, nada. :ohwell:

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a similar problem when using PCM.
Try switching your Dynex TV's sound from PCM to Raw or Raw to PCM.

sound.png

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
All you have to do is Disable the other audios. (sound options) Simply setting HDMI as default is not enough. Disabling the onboard audio will default the audio as always HDMI

Of course if you use onboard sometimes then you will be switching this in sound options as needed. (no need to reboot) The computer cant simply read your mind. Its going to switch the audio to what is avilible. If the comp is on before the TV then of course its going to pick the onboard sound. Unless its disabled

I solved this problem by building a HTPC separate from my gaming rig

Last edited:
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
I have a similar problem when using PCM.
Try switching your Dynex TV's sound from PCM to Raw or Raw to PCM.

View attachment 44586

I just tried this and it didn't work. It was set to PCM by default and changing it to RAW didn't change anything. While we're at it, would you happen to experience an issue with the "HDMI 1 1080P" notification constantly popping up at the upper right hand corner of the screen? And also, are you able to view the full 55 inches via HDMI? My TV is displaying black bars on all 4 corners, similar to the bars that appear when the screen's aspect ratio is different than that native to the video file. What is unusual is that I've set Windows to run 1920x1080, which is also the TV's native resolution.

All you have to do is Disable the other audios. (sound options) Simply setting HDMI as default is not enough. Disabling the onboard audio will default the audio as always HDMI

Of course if you use onboard sometimes then you will be switching this in sound options as needed. (no need to reboot) The computer cant simply read your mind. Its going to switch the audio to what is avilible. If the comp is on before the TV then of course its going to pick the onboard sound. Unless its disabled

I solved this problem by building a HTPC separate from my gaming rig

The HTPC connected to this TV is not used for any other purpose. I did try disabling all audio sources other than HDMI, but that didn't bring back the audio. It's currently installing SP1, so I won't go any further with testing until I get back from class tomorrow.

For some odd reason, Windows 7 has prevented me from being able to set any default audio devices. Upon right clicking, the option is grayed out.

Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Update your BIOS

System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
And also, are you able to view the full 55 inches via HDMI? My TV is displaying black bars on all 4 corners, similar to the bars that appear when the screen's aspect ratio is different than that native to the video file. What is unusual is that I've set Windows to run 1920x1080, which is also the TV's native resolution.

Pisses me off when it does this. Go in catalyst options/desktops & displays/configure/scaling options. Move the slider to 0%, and you should be done! Odd thins is I only have this with ATI cards, now I may be wrong but its the conclusion I made, never had that issue with NV cards as of yet.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The HTPC connected to this TV is not used for any other purpose. I did try disabling all audio sources other than HDMI, but that didn't bring back the audio. It's currently installing SP1, so I won't go any further with testing until I get back from class tomorrow.

For some odd reason, Windows 7 has prevented me from being able to set any default audio devices. Upon right clicking, the option is grayed out.

That is odd, though it definitely sounds like a Windows issue. Mainly, it is just picking a sound output at boot, because the TV isn't on it doesn't detect anything plugged into that port, so it uses the SPD/IF. Odd that it doesn't let you change it though, or disable SPD/IF and force the HDMI to be used...

Pisses me off when it does this. Go in catalyst options/desktops & displays/configure/scaling options. Move the slider to 0%, and you should be done! Odd thins is I only have this with ATI cards, now I may be wrong but its the conclusion I made, never had that issue with NV cards as of yet.

I've only seen this on AMD cards as well, it seems like an issue with their drivers that they've just never bothered to fix. It seems like such a simple fix too, just default the slider to 0%.

Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Update your BIOS

I updated the BIOS not too long ago, and there has only been one revision since. Gigabyte doesn't say whether or not it addresses this issue in the new BIOS, so it's something I would prefer avoiding until I can rule out other factors.

Thanks! I felt cheated that I was only getting 50 inches, but I attributed that to the nature of off-brand (or Best Buy's house brand really) TVs.

That is odd, though it definitely sounds like a Windows issue. Mainly, it is just picking a sound output at boot, because the TV isn't on it doesn't detect anything plugged into that port, so it uses the SPD/IF. Odd that it doesn't let you change it though, or disable SPD/IF and force the HDMI to be used...

Disabling everything else only leads to no audio output. The audio icon in the bottom right hand corner has an X over it, and when I have Windows auto-troubleshoot, it says that audio is disabled.

You mentioned no graphics card in your post so your using onboard graphics right? Call Gigabyte support, first thing they will tell you is do you have the latest BIOS. And use the latest drivers from Gigabyte. You may have a bad board. And the other issue is a scaling problem. Easy fix if you have the right graphics drivers.

List all your hardware please

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just tried this and it didn't work. It was set to PCM by default and changing it to RAW didn't change anything. While we're at it, would you happen to experience an issue with the "HDMI 1 1080P" notification constantly popping up at the upper right hand corner of the screen? And also, are you able to view the full 55 inches via HDMI? My TV is displaying black bars on all 4 corners, similar to the bars that appear when the screen's aspect ratio is different than that native to the video file. What is unusual is that I've set Windows to run 1920x1080, which is also the TV's native resolution.

Nope, full screen and no bars, unless the signal was not HD.
When the PC was hooked up... it was good to go full screen, after I set it up for 1080P and adjusted the scaling in CCC (like assaulter_99 & newtekie1 stated). Had little picture in middle with black around it (top, bottom and sides), until I worked out the scaling.
Only pop-up was when I turned on the TV and it says HDMI X 1080p (X is the HDMI port used)... well, it actually doesn't say anything, it just displays it on the screen.
Actually, it does not do anything anymore, as I gave it to the sister-in-law, because her old TV died.

Try using the zoom button on the remote to try the different settings (auto, normal, cinema, etc.).

If, you have another hdmi cable, try it.
Also, try a different hdmi port on the tv.

Like, some others mentioned, I would try some other hdmi devices and see how they work with the TV, too.
:)

System Name INTEL/AMD
Processor I7 4790k stock / 1100T@3.8GHZ(on air)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GAMING 5 / GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 / zalmen 9900
Memory 4x4 GB 1600 / 4x4gb 1600
Video Card(s) GTX670 x2 / ATI 5870 x2
Storage 2xcorsair ssd 120gb raid0 /2x adata ssd 120gb
Display(s) 55Iinch LCD / 22inch acer
Case CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3) / Anteck 900
Power Supply Enermax 800EWT / 750 zalman
Software Win 10
Its a dynex they just suck. Trust me i know.

Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
You mentioned no graphics card in your post so your using onboard graphics right? Call Gigabyte support, first thing they will tell you is do you have the latest BIOS. And use the latest drivers from Gigabyte. You may have a bad board. And the other issue is a scaling problem. Easy fix if you have the right graphics drivers.

List all your hardware please

The scaling issue has been fixed. I would rather not deal with Gigabyte support over a board that has long been discontinued. They'll be no more knowledgeable than the folks here at TPU. I'm going to try a different motherboard very shortly. If that fails, I'll reconsider calling Gigabyte.

Nope, full screen and no bars, unless the signal was not HD.
When the PC was hooked up... it was good to go full screen, after I set it up for 1080P and adjusted the scaling in CCC (like assaulter_99 & newtekie1 stated). Had little picture in middle with black around it (top, bottom and sides), until I worked out the scaling.
Only pop-up was when I turned on the TV and it says HDMI X 1080p (X is the HDMI port used)... well, it actually doesn't say anything, it just displays it on the screen.
Actually, it does not do anything anymore, as I gave it to the sister-in-law, because her old TV died.

Try using the zoom button on the remote to try the different settings (auto, normal, cinema, etc.).

If, you have another hdmi cable, try it.
Also, try a different hdmi port on the tv.

Like, some others mentioned, I would try some other hdmi devices and see how they work with the TV, too.
:)

Tried both a different cable and a different HDMI port, no luck.

Its a dynex they just suck. Trust me i know.

I wouldn't be surprised. The good thing is that we have until Jan 31 to return this thing, so if a comparable deal pops up between now and then, this goes right back to the store.

It seems he only solution right now for the audio is to turn the TV on before the PC, but sometimes we forget and then it gets annoying. Another solution would be to buy a male-male audio cable and run the sound off stereo versus HDMI.