• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will using USB extension cables effect wireless speed?

System Name KXa DrakeN
Processor Intel Core i7 3770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68 1155
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory 8GB Ripjaw-X Red 1866mhz
Video Card(s) 2X ASUS GTX780 DCUII OC
Storage Crucial M4 128gb+Intel 320 160gb Gen3+2TB BLack WD+1TB Black WD
Display(s) DELL S2740L 27'' LED LCD
Case NZXT Phantom 410
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR D2X
Power Supply Corsair HX1050wt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
hello guys.. need opinion

I have a question, I just bought a wireless usb which is TP-LINK TL-WN821N 300mbps for my dad pc.

the main problem is I only got fair connection strength for his PC as his pc was in the bedroom downstairs and the wireless modem (TP LINK TD-W8960N 300mbps MODEM ROUTER ADSL2+ WIRELESS N) mounted upstairs (a lil far from his bedroom) of my house, and this make the line become slow for his PC.

Is it possible for me to get full connection strength if I connect the wireless to the USB extension cables (5-10meters from his PC) so that the wireless USB is a little nearer to the Modem?

Thanks. :)

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
LOL then what's the point in having a Wireless card if your going to tether it?

You may as well just run a cat5e all the way to the router and have done.

If you actually want the wireless to work properly there are a few things you could try.

Firstly try find out why your signal is so bad. Could be you have thick floors, or you have weak ariels.

Secondly get some software to let you see what other traffic is going on in your area. There is a lot of software out there that will let you see all the routers in your local area, And more importantly they will tell you what channel and how much power those routers are throwing out.

If you change your channel to one that has less traffic you may get better results.

Also if you have the signal power up to 100% try reduce it to about 50% and see if that improves the connection. You get less noise, and more distance at lower power output.

Finally your question about USB extenders. It's a digital cable and as such you should not see a significant drop in performance for using one. But those cables are only supposed to be 4-5 meters at maximum length, and more than that and they simply fail in a lot of tasks, Probably due to increased resistance more than anything.

the only way around this is to use a powered USB hub at every cable junction.

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5

Q1: How long of a cable can I use to connect my device?
A1: In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

Q2: Why can't I use a cable longer than 3 or 5m?
A2: USB's electrical design doesn't allow it. When USB was designed, a decision was made to handle the propagation of electromagnetic fields on USB data lines in a way that limited the maximum length of a USB cable to something in the range of 4m. This method has a number of advantages and, since USB is intended for a desktop environment, the range limitations were deemed acceptable. If you're familiar with transmission line theory and want more detail on this topic, take a look at the USB signals section of the developers FAQ.

Q3: How far away from a PC can I put a USB device?
A3: With the maximum of 5 hubs connected with 5m cables and a 5m cable going to your full speed device, this will give you 30m of cable (see section 7.1.19 for details). With a low speed device, you will be able to get a range up to 27m, depending on how long the device's cable is. With a straightforward cable route, you will probably be able to reach out 25m or so from the PC.

Q4: I need to put a USB device X distance from my PC. What do I do?
A4: If X is less than 25m or so (see previous question), buy a bunch of hubs and connect them serially with 5m cables. If you need to go farther than that, put another PC, or maybe a laptop, out where you need the device to be and network it with the first PC using something that's intended to be a long-range connection, such as Ethernet or RS-485. If you need to use nothing but USB, consider using USB based Ethernet adapters to hook the PCs together.

Last edited:

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
Secondly get some software to let you see what other traffic is going on in your area. There is a lot of software out there that will let you see all the routers in your local area, And more importantly they will tell you what channel and how much power those routers are throwing out.

can you throw out some names of this software id like to try this as well

OK down to REAL ANSWERS :

1.) There is no problem using a USB extension cable on your Wireless USB dongle - it can often help a lot just to tweak the dongle's position, AND get some distance between it and the actual PC Case which is usually responsible for the most of the signal loss anyway. As long ans its a NORMAL, every day USB extension , and not some crazy long custom thing, or a mess of multiple extensions chained together it will be FINE - Perfectly Fine.

2.) The only real way to analyze WiFi properly is to move around a lot taking readings - Best bet is if you have an Android phone, or a friend with an Android phone get a tool like "Wifi Analyzer" https://market.android.com/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer - Its free on the market and you can actually walk around with the phone sweeping about for Good or Bad spots for signal - and it will graph channel separation nicely too.

There is also software for the PC that does this - one I can think of is "InSSIDer" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inssider - Does a similar thing - scans for all networks, signal strength, and channel separation. You can use it on a laptop / netbook to walk around doing a signal strength survey - or just run it on your PC and watch the graph as you wave your USB wireless dongle around on the end of the USB extension cord looking for a "Sweet Spot" but really - scanning with a phone is a lot easier :)

I'm SURE there also iApps for this - But I don't use iProducts, so I cant name any - I'm sure Google can solve this problem for you.

Last edited:
System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
can you throw out some names of this software id like to try this as well

wireless netview, solar winds(expensive), passmark wirelessmon
WirelessNetView is a small utility that runs in the background, and monitor the activity of wireless networks around you. For each detected network, it displays the following information: SSID, Last Signal Quality, Average Signal Quality, Detection Counter, Authentication Algorithm, Cipher Algorithm, MAC Address, RSSI, Channel Frequency, Channel Number, and more.

i didn't read his post, but i know there are apps to view this. i use my android, but ahve come across some good ones before.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL then what's the point in having a Wireless card if your going to tether it?

I do this, myself, so that I can move it to a desirable location (to get a better signal).
I can move it around and place at different heights and locations.
Something like this:

You may as well just run a cat5e all the way to the router and have done.

Maybe, it is a pain in the butt to go through the walls (you know... pipes, electrical, framing, etc.)
Possibly, they may have the newer fire proof wall partitions, which, are an absolute horror to work on.

If you change your channel to one that has less traffic you may get better results.

Yes, this is a good idea... I have moved to ch.11 in my place to reduce interference from other sources.
You need to try different frequencies and test.

Also if you have the signal power up to 100% try reduce it to about 50% and see if that improves the connection. You get less noise, and more distance at lower power output.

The is not the best advice, IMO, you need the power output from both ends to overcome the inherent background noise or improve the S/N ratio (signal strength relative to background noise). The quality of the receiver amp(s) S/N ratios in the equipment are a big factor; but, are dependent on the engineered design and not really tweak-able by a layperson.
SNR.gif

@OP>
USB cable extender is fine, as long as, it is in specs. It won't hurt to try.

You might wanna try antenna mods/designs for better/selective signal reception.
Directional or hi-gain antennas for wi-fi.
wi-fi antenna mods

You can try a high output wireless extender. Radio labs carries some really high powered devices (extenders. amps, etc.). Ex.: High power Wireless Access Point RL 3022 Deluxe Extreme Range - 600mW Output!

There are a lot of options out there... Let your fingers do the walking.

Just my opinions and not meaning to diss anyone.:)

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
All this so far is good information, also you could look into buying some higher gain antennas as 95Viper mentioned. Going by the manufacturer's website http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TD-W8960N#spec it looks like you can replace the original antennas (look for ones that are reverse SMA). Just remember to get one for both antennas, a stronger "send" signal is of no use if the router still can't see the "receive" signal from the computer.

System Name KXa DrakeN
Processor Intel Core i7 3770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68 1155
Cooling NZXT Kraken X60
Memory 8GB Ripjaw-X Red 1866mhz
Video Card(s) 2X ASUS GTX780 DCUII OC
Storage Crucial M4 128gb+Intel 320 160gb Gen3+2TB BLack WD+1TB Black WD
Display(s) DELL S2740L 27'' LED LCD
Case NZXT Phantom 410
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR D2X
Power Supply Corsair HX1050wt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit