• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to login to root account in LMDE ?

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Hello

I just installed linux mint debian on an old HDD , i have knowledge of PCs and i do learn stuff quick.

Testing stuff out ... so have no idea about linux, but i won't learn this way, i will learn it my way, as i have learned win7, tweaked the shit out of it. This is testing, so i don't really care if anything breaks, i have windows on another hdd so don't worry.

Please how do i access every single file every thing whatever it is on the computer without permission errors, read-only crap ... etc

I have spent 2 hours to search the web how to get into root mode in terminal... now i still don't have access to change simple files in /etc , still didn't figured out how to install/update firefox ... no deb file to be seen ...

Also the auto updater reported so many warnings and 1 error .. kind of weird. Is this normal ?

Thank you for help

seriously this has to be the biggest joke ever ... can't find anything on the web, just some "root login" in terminal nonsense ... don't tell me it's not possible then i hit the format button right away.

what a good first-impression haha , also i installed LMDE cause one guy told me the difference from others so i thought this was to be the "OS FOR PROs" and look what i get - fiddle with this nonsense, where there could just be a SIMPLE option at start that could save me hours. I laugh from time to time at the stupidiness of the software at large, mostly at microsoft, but linux scores one here, cause im really angry i lost like 4 HOURS DOING .... NOTHING.

The community expects you to know things to understand ... but it does really "good" on getting you started to learn, i am fucking sick of this babysitting, how the heck can those that CAN and WANT to evolve fast ... but can't because there are "security" measures for noobs in place. See the stupidity. It's stupid. If i would design debian, the first option i would offer: Select Root Mode or Normal Mode. DONE No stupid sudo sumo chmod whoami wtfomg fiddling with the consoles all day long. what the heck man, all this could be avoided very simply in the beginning before the system starts for damn sakes sake of sakes.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
If you don't want to spend time in the console don't do Linux. And why would you want to have root access constantly? That is nothing you want in a system anyway.

My advice is that you get used to the console and keyboard shortcuts, it's the way Linux was meant to be.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
You have to give explicit permissions for any root operation. I am not familiar with mint, but I do mess with my android. Usually, any root command starts with "su" which I gather stands for super user. Dangerous territory here. What su does is access a tool box of commands called busy box. They let you do a whole bunch of admin stuff I don't care to know.

Learn busy box and you are golden.

System Name pubg machine
Processor Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard MSI Gaming Edge Wifi x570
Cooling Kraken Z73
Memory 32GB Dominator RGB
Video Card(s) RTX 3080FE
Storage Firecuda 520 2TB
Display(s) Odyssey G7
Case h710i
Audio Device(s) Arctis pro wireless
Power Supply NZXT c1000
Mouse Logitech g pro wireless
Keyboard Logitech g915 tkl
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores pwning n00bs like you
actually su is the command that gives you root access during a specific session. sudo is likely what you're thinking of ^. @OP, seriously, i think you need to re-evaluate your motives for using linux or at the very least do some googling. i suggest you google 'what is sudo' 'what is su' 'what is apt-get' to get started. good luck.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
I don't know about debian edition, but in Gnome Edition I can just login as root with my administrator account password at the login screen - but keep in mind that Gnome Edition is based on Ubuntu and Debian Edition is based on Debian and the only common thing between Ubuntu and Debian is the barest necessities in the Linux kernel.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Ok ... fresh start.

Im doing something and well i have to edit a configuration file, which is read-only.

The whole folder is read only.

Plus if you're root it doesn't nag you about "not found" it is in "sbin/blabla", the root just executes even if it's in other folders.

See the point here, i want to use the console, but im left down and can't do anything, how am i supposed to learn if im not allowed to do anything ? That "step by step from babysitting mode up" is a way of learning that in my opinion is quite less effective for me, i wouldn't have figured out as much of the low level stuff.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Aha ... now i asked someone physically who knows this and he fixed it for me in less than 10 seconds, using root in console he right clicked on /etc and "opened as administrator" TADA ... done. The window was painted red in color so that means it works.

My motives for linux are wine, system tools, tweaking, driver modification, programming, stuff that you can't do effciently with these silly permission naggies. Throwing away time to get this console to work, while i should already have wine working and other stuff prepared.

Dangerous territory here.

no offense but i simply
do
not
care

I said that in the first post ;) I am testing which means learning, im not depending on linux. I don't have to babysit it in the first install , hell i'll probably do 10 reinstalls before i settle down so ... i don't really expect to settle down anytime soon.

Feels like one of those threads where i want to disable/explain the windows pagefile and everyone goes "why, you shouldn't do that, windows won't work" ... they know exactly what i mean over at the software forums :p noumerous such occasions. Well people should start to ... relax and stop worrying so much.

The problem with those worries is ... they're invalid, wrong information. I don't run pagefile on win7 and everything works better than ever. To this date i haven't seen a single app to be saying "cannot run because pagefile is disabled"... trololololo

EDIT:

Anyways already reinstalled LMDE - downloading updates now. Firefox did not update and also updates were broken so i didn't want to waste more time on the whole thing.

But okay i won't use anything alse except "sudo passwd root" which will let me to open as admin and there i am what i wanted so no other things necessary imo.

Last edited:

eightclicknine

Ok ... fresh start.

Im doing something and well i have to edit a configuration file, which is read-only.

The whole folder is read only.

Plus if you're root it doesn't nag you about "not found" it is in "sbin/blabla", the root just executes even if it's in other folders.

See the point here, i want to use the console, but im left down and can't do anything, how am i supposed to learn if im not allowed to do anything ? That "step by step from babysitting mode up" is a way of learning that in my opinion is quite less effective for me, i wouldn't have figured out as much of the low level stuff.

Are you trying to access through terminal?
Root mode in debian should be su- or su -
sudo gedit will get you into any config file as root
/etc/sudoers contains information on giving accounts root privelage
sudo visudo is used to open this sudoers file to edit permissions.
I agree with the others, the GUI is great but linux is ALOT of cmd line, so if you want to learn this it is crucial that you learn command line, you will get no where fast without it.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Okay the guy showd me now to do it with

sudo su

i open folders "as administrator" and give write&read permissions to everyone

Works fine thought. Still some programs like SQLITE3 had problems writting as i had to make write permissions to the normal account too not just root , on the empty file it self and not just folder , but weird because i ran every command with root, seems to be faster than going into /sbin/ and whatelse.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
None taken. Just stating the obvious.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
you should probably do some reading on linux directory structure and file permissions before you begin.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
you should probably do some reading on linux directory structure and file permissions before you begin.

not to mention the essential gnu commands.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
not to mention the essential gnu commands.

very true. a lot of new people to linux think they can just plow through it and learn as they go. that is a very painful way to go about it even for the quickest of learners. you may even get frustrated enough to think Linux sucks because you can't understand how it works.

remember, if you hit a wall in linux, it is not linux it is YOU.