• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to make full access/write to every single folder/file on entire filesystem

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
I have made good progress since .... however it's not enough - I am running LMDE x64

But now i have been stall for some days

Now i have figured out why some files are "no reference found" or stuff is just missing , cp defconfig .config doesn't appear to be working either.

I am searching throught linux forums as well, the only thing i found so far is webshit.

Thank you for any help

EDIT: I was thinking of making some script file that has all folders on entire filesystem and that added to chmod stuff so it'll be automated, i am not going to do that via the buggy UI ... it's slow

EDIT2: One little problem setting me back: You can't open as administrator when multiselecting many files/folders. here we go again

EDIT3: the best way would be how do i login into ROOT in the first place, the hidden account !

Last edited:

temp02

I really don't see what the problem is with creating a script to do gain rwx access to all the files (it's not something I would do though), or you can just sudo su on console and do whatever you want from there, like this:
Code:
sudo su
nautilus .
to run the file browser with root privileges.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
I really don't see what the problem is with creating a script to do gain rwx access to all the files (it's not something I would do though), or you can just sudo su on console and do whatever you want from there, like this:
Code:
sudo su
nautilus .
to run the file browser with root privileges.

I need other apps to have full write access to whatevertheheck are they doing. My work cannot continue because apps don't have permissions

EDIT: Well i went selected many files / folders inside file browser as admin and then also used "apply to enclosed files" but that doesn't do for all tree imo. Well better than nothing...

i got this error
sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0666, should be 0440
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

this did the trick right away
chmod 0440 /etc/sudoers

saved me that i had one terminal running in sudo already :) im using LIVE CD now , the old HDD is broken , saved me a reboot here.

Last edited:

temp02

I need other apps to have full write access to whatevertheheck are they doing. My work cannot continue because apps don't have permissions

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you want, but can't you just
Code:
sudo ./<app_that_you_want_to_launch>
?
This will make the application run in root mode, aka, access to everything.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
im using the root console always already

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix

this is the second post you've made about this. honestly, spend 20 minutes reading about linux file permissions and the difference between system users and regular users!!!!

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
well guess something else was the problem

compiling those sources is such a pain in the ass

and so hard to find download links to .deb .... i spent 1 hour on one site to find a download link , i managed through "show site source" and then snip the source code of the file that way , what heck is this

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
download links to what?

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
1) make clear what your purpose is: what exactly do you want and why?
2) You cannot run Mint as root, simply because of all the people who switch to that from Windows. People like that don't realise that all system files are basically text files. If you run as root (and I don't mean as superuser using your user account (with su or sudo)) and you get hacked, your entire system can be ripped apart pretty easily. Hence the fact that you can run progs as superuser, but can't login into the root account in Mint.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
distros like mint (based on ubuntu, based on debian) have specific dependencies for software. much more stringent that something more open like centos. so if you want to install additional software onto mint you will need to make sure every dependency is met. since you are new, stick to stuff in the official repository. apt-get install will download and install all of the required libraries for you.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
login via normal user
su -
enter root password
problem solved

the root account is not designed to be used for "normal" system usage

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
login via normal user
su -
enter root password
problem solved

hate to sound elitist, but he would have figured that out in the first 5 minutes of running linux if he had read the basic documentation.

Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
download links to what?

random stuff

1) make clear what your purpose is: what exactly do you want and why?
2) You cannot run Mint as root, simply because of all the people who switch to that from Windows. People like that don't realise that all system files are basically text files. If you run as root (and I don't mean as superuser using your user account (with su or sudo)) and you get hacked, your entire system can be ripped apart pretty easily. Hence the fact that you can run progs as superuser, but can't login into the root account in Mint.

Re-Format ... solved
it's not like windows when it means throwing a lot of work and time away.

I already reinstalled LMDE like more than 5 times in 2 weeks. And not even using full two week time.

distros like mint (based on ubuntu, based on debian) have specific dependencies for software. much more stringent that something more open like centos. so if you want to install additional software onto mint you will need to make sure every dependency is met. since you are new, stick to stuff in the official repository. apt-get install will download and install all of the required libraries for you.

login via normal user
su -
enter root password
problem solved

Well thank you, I was desperate at first, i have since found out more how stuff works, but i now do chmod -R 777 /etc ... and maybe other stuff too where some app cries about access errors.

hate to sound elitist, but he would have figured that out in the first 5 minutes of running linux if he had read the basic documentation.

found only webshit for days ... and google doesn't link documentation stuff a lot - plus , so much stuff about this UBUNTU which is incompatible with LMDE

And why the heck is LMDE for TESTING what testing , found issues with inability to properly use WINE , oh "WINE was removed from testing" So WHAT , that means i can't even run the stable ones WTF. Well i FORCEFULLY installed unsable versions .. but i have no idea what to do next , install game , install DX , VCredist ... ?

Also why the heck is so many distros - just makes it harder to choose ... like one guy says "im going to make my own distro" ... well im not against it, but then you have these distros which focus on some niches ... and im not saying that's bad, i like performance but some ommisions are just ridicolous for whatever normal or not operation.

Who the heck decides what will be where and what not. Why not make the best distro which has EVERYTHING , super performance, rooot , UI , Wine , ... every update, every upgrade, every program , and i don't care if it's 10 GB large or more, just this constant fiddling around is kind of a weird mindset "oh if you don't need that program you should not have installed" - , Win7 takes 15-25 GB in it's final stage btw.

I thought this was all community, but it feels more like very regulated. LMDE was said to be faster and more responsive in performance, but what the heck does this help if half of stuff doesn't work, testing testing testing something all the time testing testing, and the sheer number of things

Just imagine if they got rid all of these distros and make one huge linux OS, and just make these features and "WAYS" choosable as an option. All of em! Like a huge configuration before the installation for customization.

And what's the point of a 1 GB iso , and then i have to spend hours downloading additional stuff from slow repository servers.

Well ... All those distros should go to analyze which approach is better, the best approach be used for ultimate linux OS, this can be the way distros and updating works , or whatever. Just best of best. Why would i be choosing distros like that. Ah for performance choose LMDE (but 50% doesn't work) , for UI choose UBUNTU (but hey you can't do this/that) ...etc

Mint is a different color and includes many non-free components that Ubuntu makes you install afterwards.
This is also a reason many people choose Ubuntu over Mint.

Hmmm ... interesting to see if Mint stays with Gnome or not.

See ... weird.
What the heck is "different color"

Why do you have to have a whole different distro for trivial stuff like that could be just 2 options in same OS ?

So Mint has pre-installed components than Ubuntu, so that's the main reason people use Ubuntu - that's the biggest joke i heard on the entire web (in this category).

So you sacrifice, all other difference, just becuase "it doesn't have stuff pre-installed" - what a stupid reason.

Whatever maybe's all justifiable.

But the bottom line is:

The features are sometimes scattered accross distros, "you want that but you want that also, no you only can choose one or the other!"

Many programs are not available in good version for many other distros.

I think this whole idea of distros is somewhat splitting the community ... the total developers working on linux are not connected, disorganized, and effectiveness is obviously not ideal what could have been, some of them work here, a little there , little here, meh , it's just again how i call it , FIDDLING AROUND. Imagine 100.000 of those developers joining to make ultimate distro, 1 month we focus on kernel , 2 month we focus on wine, 3 month we focus on some drivers, 4 month we focus on audio ... , you'll have more stable releases, more people immediately testing dev build, if end of mothn (or set perios of time of focus) each update will not release until it's stable enough, testing would be easier because of the massive focus ... (no reliance on random web people) and you obviously won't have to test your new changes to 10 different distros.

This kind of approach would destroy all competition.

And a funny thing, we only see distros ... where's the standard vanilla that these distros are actual distribution/edition from .... WHAT ?

Last edited:
System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
I think this whole idea of distros is somewhat splitting the community ... the total developers working on linux are not connected, disorganized, and effectiveness is obviously not ideal what could have been, some of them work here, a little there , little here, meh , it's just again how i call it , FIDDLING AROUND. Imagine 100.000 of those developers joining to make ultimate distro, 1 month we focus on kernel , 2 month we focus on wine, 3 month we focus on some drivers, 4 month we focus on audio ... , you'll have more stable releases, more people immediately testing dev build, if end of mothn (or set perios of time of focus) each update will not release until it's stable enough, testing would be easier because of the massive focus ... (no reliance on random web people) and you obviously won't have to test your new changes to 10 different distros.

This kind of approach would destroy all competition.

And a funny thing, we only see distros ... where's the standard vanilla that these distros are actual distribution/edition from .... WHAT ?

There is no "standard vanilla" OS that all distros are based on. The name "Linux" is used as an umbrella term, mainly because that is the name of the kernel. And the kernel is maintained centrally, yet of course a kernel is but a kernel so indeed there is some fragmentation.
BTW, you talk about focus but on what on earth would they focus on? Taking on Microsoft? Various Linux related software projects and companies serve computing in areas in which MS is not even active. So on what else would they focus? Home users? Business users? Techy people? Non-techy people? And let's not forget about the massive diversity in backgrounds of the many people/organisations involved. One can not throw the whole bunch on a heap.