• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

January 9 Launch Date for AMD Radeon HD 7900

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
House or video cards?

J

John Doe

My internal ATI contact now working for AMD has already confirmed to me that there’s a strong possibility of a HD 7900 series launch for mid to late January 2012. In other words, they’ve been baking in the oven for several months now and AMD has enough to meet any possible demand. I’ve gotten this info on September 22, 2011 but was told not to say anything until after Christmas. AMD does not want to affect HD 6000 series Christmas sales by announcing the HD 7000 too soon. So much for the Top Secret :D

Yeah, and Boy George told me he's in love with you the other day. :D I've had enough of your AMD nonsense. How many more posts, threads you have to post to praise AMD? Enough is enough.

7mm

System Name Chip
Processor AMD FX 4100 @ 3.60 GHz (2 x 2MB L2, 8MB L3)
Motherboard BIOSTAR 880GZ (850 SB)
Cooling Stock AMD
Memory 2GB + 4GB @ 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Color Master AMD Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3
Storage WD Green 2TB (SATA 2.0)
Display(s) 20" Samsung SyncMaster 2033sw (15000:1)
Case Regular White
Audio Device(s) OnBoard : Realtek Integrated Digital HD Audio
Power Supply ATX UMAX 550W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Just about time I've being told to upgrade from Radeon HD 4350 and I made up my mind with Radeon HD 6670 DDR5, now shouldn't I wait for a month for better upgrade!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
This is wrong. The highest OC's on 6970 cards have been seen on reference solutions. Yes, Lightnings OC well though with reference you're guaranteed to get quality. Non-ref, even a good solution can be a crapshoot and not OC due lack of QC. I.E. Gigabyte's older Ultra Durable cards.

Really? Care to prove that with some examples of reference cards overclocked on the stock air cooling?

J

John Doe

Really? Care to prove that with some examples of reference cards overclocked on the stock air cooling?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6950_1_GB/25.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_6950_Vortex_II/30.html

If you need to ask, I wouldn't expect you to understand. With reference, you most the time get a good sample. Reference boards are all made by Sapphire (PCPartner), while non-ref's are unknown. That's why they tend to have better QC and mess up less.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten

If you need to ask, I wouldn't expect you to understand. With reference, you most the time get a good sample. Reference boards are all made by Sapphire (PCPartner), while non-ref's are unknown. That's why they tend to have better QC and mess up less.

That's a 2.15% difference which is probably more down to individual chip variation rather than anything else.

For example my first 6870 could over-clock to 1100mhz and do 1000mhz with no additional voltage.

My second 6870 can't go over 960mhz without jibbing out.

My cards were identical in every other way ( reference design by the way with the fancy voltage control and such ;) )

J

John Doe

That's a 2.15% difference which is probably more down to individual chip variation rather than anything else.

For example my first 6870 could over-clock to 1100mhz and do 1000mhz with no additional voltage.

My cards were identical in every other way ( reference design by the way with the fancy voltage control and such ;) )

That's not the point. With reference, you have a higher chance of getting a good sample.

VisionTek 900352 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 ...

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
That's not the point. With reference, you have a higher chance of getting a good sample.

VisionTek 900352 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 ...

I don't think there is a higher chance man, maybe you've just got lucky.

I see the same variation regardless of whether it's reference or not.

In fact some of the highest over clocks I've seen are on non reference cards.

How ever I know it's all down to luck, any over-clocking always is.

I don't just speak from my experience either, I speak from this forums entirely collective user-base XD

J

John Doe

I don't think there is a higher chance man, maybe you've just got lucky.

I see the same variation regardless of whether it's reference or not.

In fact some of the highest over clocks I've seen are on non reference cards.

How ever I know it's all down to luck, any over-clocking always is.

That's not what I meant. Companies go cost cutting when they go non-ref. So if you just buy some random non-ref board without research (like that one), chances are you'll get a cheaply made board with QC all over the place. With reference, you always get that solid, tested and proven design.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
That's not what I meant. Companies go cost cutting when they go non-ref. So if you just buy some random non-ref board without research (like that one), chances are you'll get a cheaply made board with QC all over the place. With reference, you always get that solid, tested and proven design.

This is why I read reviews before buying things :laugh:

See now I get what your saying, but the way you were saying it was well not right :laugh:

Should of gone with that statement straight away, save yourself all the grief you got :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

Actually, the difference is probably due to the fact that the reference board is pushing 1.19v through the core by default and the PowerColor card is only using 1.15v by default. But he probably was hoping we didn't notice that.;)

And when the PowerColor card was ran at ~1.2v(or 1.19v maybe, the graph is a little hard to read exact voltages) it hits 965MHz, so 35MHz more than the reference with the Volterra when using the same voltages.

Not a great example... Keep trying there John Doe.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Actually, the difference is probably due to the fact that the reference board is pushing 1.19v through the core by default and the PowerColor card is only using 1.15v by default. But he probably was hoping we didn't notice that.;)

And when the PowerColor card was ran at ~1.2v(or 1.19v maybe, the graph is a little hard to read exact voltages) it hits 965MHz, so 35MHz more than the reference with the Volterra when using the same voltages.

Completely missed that, but then I've always ignored that graph :laugh:

J

John Doe

Great, you know actually it's like discussing with a brick wall when arguing with you. You do realize reference is the best with the Cayman GPU, right? It has the highest QC and the best power delivery. As long as temps are kept in check, reference with Volterra is a beast. Most non-ref solutions of Cayman are cheaper to make, inferior. Especially after the revision change, 2nd revision boards haven't been doing as good as the first 6950/70's did.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Completely missed that, but then I've always ignored that graph :laugh:

Oh, one more thing. Did you happen to wonder why he picked the 1GB review instead of the reference 2GB? My guess is because the 2GB reference sample only managed 860Mhz...:roll:

Yep, those reference cards will definitely give you a great overclock. Guaranteed!</sarcasm>

Great, you know actually it's like discussing with a brick wall when arguing with you. You do realize reference is the best with the Cayman GPU, right? It has the highest QC and the best power delivery. As long as temps are kept in check, reference with Volterra is a beast. Most non-ref solutions of Cayman are cheaper to make, inferior. Especially after the revision change, 2nd revision boards haven't been doing as good as the first 6950/70's did.

You keep saying that, but have yet to show any proof. And the proof you tried to show just made you look worse. As I said, keep trying.

Yeah, I can understand the brick wall thing, you just keep posting things and I just keep shooting them down for the BS they are... I can understand that becoming frustrating.

Last edited:
J

John Doe

Oh, one more thing. Did you happen to wonder why he picked the 1GB review instead of the reference 2GB? My guess is because the 2GB reference sample only managed 860Mhz...:roll:

Yep, those reference cards will definitely give you a great overclock. Guaranteed!</sarcasm>

Yes, they will. I didn't give attention to those details at all. Good making up.

You keep saying that, but have yet to show any proof. And the proof you tried to show just made you look worse. As I said, keep trying.

The burden of proof is on you. It's your ignorance that doesn't know about how the revision change affected the boards. Do your research, ask Lord Jummy. He has reference boards. I don't own the cards in question so this is all I can say. What proof do you want me to show you? I had a bunch of non-ref boards with that red PCB made by Flextronics (same company), they didn't OC crap. Not even a few Mhz. Such thing would pretty much never happen with a reference board, because it's higher quality make with higher QC.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Yes, they will. I didn't give attention to those details at all. Good making up.

And your reason for the 2GB sample clock like crap then? If the reference boards are so much better, why only 860Mhz. Note: I know the answer, I'm just trying to figure out if mister know-it-all can figure it out.

The burden of proof is on you. It's your ignorance that doesn't know about how the revision change affected the boards. Do your research, ask Lord Jummy. He has reference boards. I don't own the cards in question so this is all I can say. What proof do you want me to show you? I had a bunch of non-ref boards with that red PCB made by Flextronics (same company), they didn't OC crap. Not even a few Mhz. Such thing would pretty much never happen with a reference board, because it's higher quality make with higher QC.

Not it isn't. You made the initial claims, you have to prove them. You have to prove that the Volterra PWM is important. All you've done so far is make claims, and the small little amount of proof you tried to provide actually proved the opposite of your claim, that when a non-reference card without a Volterra is set to the same voltage it will clock higher than the reference with the Volterra.

J

John Doe

Not it isn't. You made the initial claims, you have to prove them. You have to prove that the Volterra PWM is important. All you've done so far is make claims, and the small little amount of proof you tried to provide actually proved the opposite of your claim, that when a non-reference card without a Volterra is set to the same voltage it will clock higher than the reference with the Volterra.

I didn't say it's important. They took off what made the GPU fancy. It's now just an inferior GPU with inferior drivers. It has nothing left to make itself really distinguish from nVidia. Understand? And no, a non-ref card will NOT clock higher than a reference with these cards. It depends on your sample; the GPU you got.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
Oh, hey look. 7900's are releasing on Jan. 9!

C-c-c-c-combo Breaker!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I didn't say it's important. They took off what made the GPU fancy. It's now just an inferior GPU with inferior drivers. It has nothing left to make itself really distinguish from nVidia. Understand? And no, a non-ref card will NOT clock higher than a reference with these cards. It depends on your sample; the GPU you got.

What you posted seems to contradict that statement, doesn't it. Seems the Volterra isn't important at all, you basically only got one thing right. It depends on the sample, the Volterra doesn't improve your changes at all.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
What proof do you want me to show you? I had a bunch of non-ref boards with that red PCB made by Flextronics (same company), they didn't OC crap. Not even a few Mhz. Such thing would pretty much never happen with a reference board, because it's higher quality make with higher QC.

Cmon man you buy a cheap board what do you expect?

It's like buying a £35 motherboard and expecting it to be as good as a £200 one.

If you get the non reference cards that are the same price or more expensive than a reference one you'll typically get decent over-clocking headroom unless your unlucky.

Anyway, think that's me done in this thread.

Way off topic :laugh:

Shall we make a new thread to discuss reference vs 3rd party designs?

J

John Doe

What you posted seems to contradict that statement, doesn't it. Seems the Volterra isn't important at all, you basically only got one thing right. It depends on the sample, the Volterra doesn't improve your changes at all.

Yes, it does. It provides accurate software voltage monitoring. Right at point and very stable regulation. It shows it's benefits under more extreme cases, so as to what degree it helps depends on your case. There haven't been extensive testing on it to show how much it adds to the reliability/stability of GPU. Though, more advanced VRM designs get lower ripple, which equates to cleaner power.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yes, it does. It provides accurate software voltage monitoring.

guess which one is reference:
GPUS.jpg

JustaTinkerer

System Name Just need to tidy it up now
Processor FX-8120
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO 990X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 280 H2OC
Storage OCZ ocz vertex plus(60GB), 2TB hdd
Display(s) 1x ACER x19ws ( need new one)
Case Custom
Power Supply (GOT) OCZ GameXStream 1010 Watt
Software LOL
Benchmark Scores Soon, very very soon, just need to tidy it up.
J

John Doe