• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Hits $1 Billion Milestone in Just 16 Days

System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
They don't have the developer pool it would take to crank out an engine. They will have to purchase one or it will be more than a year for the next cod. They can milk it with DLC which is easy to produce quickly to buy time. But they don't need a new engine yet as the new consoles aren't on the radar yet. CoD = Console and consoles are DX9.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
They don't have the developer pool it would take to crank out an engine.

Because Activision told them "we'll do things our way or you just f**k off" so they all left. :laugh:

They will have to purchase one

You're saying that as if they are incapable of doing so for years. I though MW2 was also a blockbuster game? And obviously CoD4:MW? :laugh:

or it will be more than a year for the next cod. They can milk it with DLC which is easy to produce quickly to buy time.

Which they exactly did with MW3. It's the most expensive DLC ever. :laugh:

But they don't need a new engine yet as the new consoles aren't on the radar yet. CoD = Console and consoles are DX9.

Yeah, consolitis at its worst.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
You guys are so negative :laugh:

This is an eye opener for all Developers, to know that a Milestone such as this can be achieved in the Video Game world.

This shows the power of the Video-game industry pretty well, and now the competition follows.

ENOUGH WITH THE MW3 NEWS SPAM, We need more interesting topics obviously :twitch:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That'll be me then. :) Check this out: I loved CoD4 and bought MW2 when it came out. Still haven't got round to playing it. MW3 comes out, I buy that, because it continues the story and I like the MW series. Of course, I can't play it until I've played MW2 first, which I still haven't got round to... :laugh:

lol, thats funny. it kinda sounds like me. I have about 15 games on backlog right now

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
That'll be me then. :) Check this out: I loved CoD4 and bought MW2 when it came out. Still haven't got round to playing it. MW3 comes out, I buy that, because it continues the story and I like the MW series. Of course, I can't play it until I've played MW2 first, which I still haven't got round to... :laugh:

lol, thats funny. it kinda sounds like me. I have about 15 games on backlog right now

I am not a fan but see what people would like in them but to me being a old time gamer there really short and 1/2 the time you are not actually playing lol.

I really don't think their worth the $60 marker as only games like Skyrim deserve that.. But people like movies and putting that in games makes sales and i like that more than watching a film just that like i said though there short games and repeated over and over.

you make a good point about price for quality of content but that applies to SP. when it comes to the price of MP, the price of $60 is a steal if you really enjoy the game regardless of the title because you will end up spending days and days on that game

Hi there "entropy13", no offense here but, numbers in the title tells the different story..., enhhh, CHEERS!

dont mind entropy, he is in denial

They need to improve the shoddy graphics in the cod series, they all look the same, never pushing any boundaries, makes for one hell of a boring game to look at. Not to mention the hideously linear gameplay. I agree that cod2 and mw1 were the best of the cod series, just wish theyd give the game battlefield 3 graphics, at least!

I primarily play games for their fun factor. that is based on about 70% gameplay and 30% graphics. IMO, that is the problem with most games today. many devs focus way too much on graphics and bundle it with mediocre gameplay

It just means more sheeple are attracted to MW3 and not BF3.

yep, there is way more sheeple playing MW3 than sheeple playing BF3 so uh... MW3 must be doing something right

Highest sales make it the most bought game, nothing else. As for reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3

It gets 80% from gaming sites (across 22 reviews). BF3 gets 89% (across 59 site reviews)

as the statistics clearly display- they are both good games. BF3 fanboys should stop being so butthurt because they cant sway others with their irrelevant opinion

You guys are so negative :laugh:

This is an eye opener for all Developers, to know that a Milestone such as this can be achieved in the Video Game world.

yep, it is simply ridiculous. haters will always be haters though

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Oh no, I've got way more than that on backlog and I'd rather not count. I'm convinced that many of these I'll never ever get round to playing. Of course, it doesn't stop me buying yet more games. :eek:

Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
dont mind entropy, he is in denial

:confused:

In denial about what? Did I, in any way, in any of my posts, ever denied that MW3 hit $1 billion?

:rolleyes:

yep, there is way more sheeple playing MW3 than sheeple playing BF3 so uh... MW3 must be doing something right

Bit of a paradox there. There can't be any sheeple playing BF3.

Also, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Minaj, Lil' Wayne must all be doing something right too, I guess. THEY'RE THE BEST MUSIC OF THE 2010s EVER!!!! W00T!!! :laugh:

AUTO-TUNE FTW!!!!! :laugh:

I primarily play games for their fun factor. that is based on about 70% gameplay and 30% graphics. IMO, that is the problem with most games today. many devs focus way too much on graphics and bundle it with mediocre gameplay

WTF? MOST PC GAMES TODAY ARE CONSOLE PORTS. How the hell then did the "many devs" focus way too much on graphics? :laugh:

as the statistics clearly display- they are both good games. BF3 fanboys should stop being so butthurt because they cant sway others with their irrelevant opinion

So do you think I'm a BF3 fanboy too? :laugh:

yep, it is simply ridiculous. haters will always be haters though

Agreed. MW3 as a game is ridiculous. As a $20 DLC however, it's much more reasonable.

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
So do you think I'm a BF3 fanboy too? :laugh:

yes and a very selectively ignorant one

I am going to take my own advice and ignore you. your arguments dont have a foundation

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
When a map-pack makes $1 billion in 16 days, you know the 99% is responsible for the problems of the 99%, not the 1%.

Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
yes and a very selectively ignorant one

I am going to take my own advice and ignore you. your arguments dont have a foundation

How can I be a fanboy of something I am yet to play? :laugh:

And in this thread that was the first time I ever mentioned BF3, since it were other people that brought that game up here, and not me. :laugh:

I guess you'd still brand me a BF3 fanboy though with all the posts I made so far, even though I haven't played that game yet, but had the opportunity to play (or waste my time, more accurately) MW3 already. :laugh:

When a map-pack makes $1 billion in 16 days, you know the 99% is responsible for the problems of the 99%, not the 1%.

I guess there would be a difference over here. Although the "99%" does prefer MW3, they most certainly didn't contribute to that $1 billion because MW3 has lesser system reqs. :laugh: Or they could rent the consoles and play it there. Or rent the PC.

Those who really wanted BF3 bought it in retail.

And as I have mentioned already, I was able to play MW3 on a computer with also MW2 in it, and the "newer" game had worse framerates. It's the system of the friend that I have mentioned earlier. I got to make the comparison personally and was able to confirm it. Although it's probably more of MW3 being a worse console port than MW2 too.

Last edited:
Still haven't bought it even though i had plans. 53 EUR (59,99 EUR on Steam) for this game. Are they stupid or just crazy? And it will hold this price for ages. It's not that good especially since i basically wanted it for singleplayer mode.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
How can I be a fanboy of something I am yet to play? :laugh:

ahh ok- so that means you were trolling. thanks for clearing that up

Still haven't bought it even though i had plans. 53 EUR (59,99 EUR on Steam) for this game. Are they stupid or just crazy? And it will hold this price for ages. It's not that good especially since i basically wanted it for singleplayer mode.

it has a good SP mode. I enjoyed it much more than BF3's SP. it has some decent challenges too if you play it on the hardest setting

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
it has a good SP mode. I enjoyed it much more than BF3's SP. it has some decent challenges too if you play it on the hardest setting

Confession: I generally like playing my games on the easy settings, because I tend to be a bit rubbish at them sometimes... or am just too impatient to master them on a harder setting. :eek: :laugh:

Also, it does seem to be fashionable on TPU to bash the Call of Duty series for various reasons. In my book, all versions of CoD & Battlefield series are excellent and have different strengths and weaknesses. And of course, nothing stops a gamer from getting both. ;)

Reactions: Fx

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
Confession: I generally like playing my games on the easy settings, because I tend to be a bit rubbish at them sometimes... or am just too impatient to master them on a harder setting. :eek: :laugh:

Also, it does seem to be fashionable on TPU to bash the Call of Duty series for various reasons. In my book, all versions of CoD & Battlefield series are excellent and have different strengths and weaknesses. And of course, nothing stops a gamer from getting both. ;)

you gotta play what you enjoy because you define your own experience :toast:

I always choose the hardcore/nightmare settings because I love challenges. the only time I will dial it back a notch is if there is a subtle difference in the hardcore setting that doesnt enable you to reload a Save. that is usually more common in turn-based strategy games though like Mount & Blade and the Total War series

agreed. CoD and BF series are both great. I have been playing them from their beginning. lots of fanboys and/or trolls talk shit but really they are comparing apples to oranges as they are two different styles of FPS

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
you gotta play what you enjoy because you define your own experience :toast:

I always choose the hardcore/nightmare settings because I love challenges. the only time I will dial it back a notch is if there is a subtle difference in the hardcore setting that doesnt enable you to reload a Save. that is usually more common in turn-based strategy games though like Mount & Blade and the Total War series

agreed. CoD and BF series are both great. I have been playing them from their beginning. lots of fanboys and/or trolls talk shit but really they are comparing apples to oranges as they are two different styles of FPS

Oh yeah and I forgot to confess that sometimes I get perhaps halfway through a game and just wanna get to the end of it, so turn on the cheat modes and remove most of the challenge of the game. :roll: I did this with Fallout 3 quite early on in the game, actually. However, I still couldn't figure out how to amass the skill to unlock certain abilities and couldn't set the bomb off. I did quick google for the problem, but came up empty handed. In the end, I was too lazy to register on the Bethesda forums and really search out the answer, so the game has stalled for me, from that point, lol. Oh, the irony of using a cheat and getting stuck because of it. :laugh:

So, grats to you for maxing out the difficulty. :toast: I'd just go insane with frustration.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
Oh yeah and I forgot to confess that sometimes I get perhaps halfway through a game and just wanna get to the end of it, so turn on the cheat modes and remove most of the challenge of the game. :roll: I did this with Fallout 3 quite early on in the game, actually. However, I still couldn't figure out how to amass the skill to unlock certain abilities and couldn't set the bomb off. I did quick google for the problem, but came up empty handed. In the end, I was too lazy to register on the Bethesda forums and really search out the answer, so the game has stalled for me, from that point, lol. Oh, the irony of using a cheat and getting stuck because of it. :laugh:

So, grats to you for maxing out the difficulty. :toast: I'd just go insane with frustration.

doesnt playing a game with cheats remove the satisfaction of defeating it with your own merit though?.. at least a little bit?

I actually quit Fallout 3 early on because I didnt like how the game enabled you to freeze time and select where to shoot an enemy. that removes the skill-requirement, essentially dumbing down the game so I immediately uninstalled

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
doesnt playing a game with cheats remove the satisfaction of defeating it with your own merit though?.. at least a little bit?

Yeah, sure. It can also feel ironically satisfying to go around feeling all invincible, lol. I may well switch cheat mode on and off during the game.

I actually quit Fallout 3 early on because I didnt like how the game enabled you to freeze time and select where to shoot an enemy. that removes the skill-requirement, essentially dumbing down the game so I immediately uninstalled
Actually, I liked that feature and it wasn't all that much of a dead cert either, depending on the weapon's accuracy, or if the player just fluffed it. ;) It was still possible to line up the perfect shot, hit fire... and watch the damned thing miss! :laugh: It could make for a real "Oh shiiiiiit!!" moment, lol.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

You don't know what you're talking about man!! It would have been 4bn, obviously. :laugh:

Tell you what though: global recession or no global recession, it doesn't stop people spending money, does it?

I can take that MW3 from you as Christmas present :D

COD4 is what I like the most, short, fire, kill, die, play for 1 hr or so and back to what ever u r doing.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
CoD4 and the old CoD are the only ones ill play now. The new ones are so dissapointing to me.

CoD has more people playing it because its easier for 12 year olds to sit in a corner and spray their little sub machine guns that are 100% more powerful then assault rifles, which in my book makes no sense at all

Last edited:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
CoD has more people playing it because its easier for 12 year olds to sit in a corner and spray their little sub machine guns that are 100% more powerful then assault rifles, which in my book makes no sense at all

agreed- akimbo needs to be nerfed or deleted. however, there isnt many corners in MW3 like they are trying to discourage camping, which is fine by me but that doesnt bother me because camping is easy to counter. it isnt like the counter strike days where camping+AWP= godly

almost all the maps are small and designed for close quartered combat which makes using akimbo ideal since most encounters are up close

this is the first MW where I would have to resort to buying a map pack in order to enjoy the maps

Last edited:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
agreed- akimbo needs to be nerfed or deleted. however, there isnt many corners in MW3 like they are trying to discourage camping, which is fine by me but that doesnt bother me because camping is easy to counter. it isnt like the counter strike days where camping+AWP= godly

almost all the maps are small and designed for close quartered combat which makes using akimbo ideal since most encounters are up close

this is the first MW where I would have to resort to buying a map pack in order to enjoy the maps

yeah all the maps are tiny and flat. No variety. just building and BS

Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10