• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon HD 7970 Tessellation Performance Figures Surface

Benetanegia

We also dont know if the CUs are locked to clock speed or they went with a more NVIDIA approach and sped them up.

They are still locked if we are to believe the rumors.

Again I don't expect shaders themselves to be very different from what they were.

So there is a slither of hope, very slim though.

Yeah, but I wouldn't count on that. I'd rather be surprised than dissapointed. Again.

And the complete lack of any performance slides other than tesselation performance is not good really.

Processor Core i7 4710K
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Water
Memory Gelid 16GB
Video Card(s) HD5870, stock at the moment
Storage Kingston HyperX 256GB
Case Cosmos S
Power Supply BeQuiet Dark Power 750
Software Win7 x64
With 2048 SPs you really need them SPs to be a lot faster/efficient than they were if you want the card to be significantly faster. It is fairly posible to have much faster SPs, but like with BD we again depend on a net "IPC" increase in order to get a significant performance gain. Since I don't want to believe in fairies again, I'm counting on SPs being fairly equal hence with 30% more SPs and 30% more TMUs and similar clocks, 30% performance increase is kinda the maximum I would expect. According to OBR numbers, net "IPC" or perf-per-shader might actually be slightly down and wihle it was not something I would have expected, it's not really something completely imposible.

Assuming the same speed of the CUs, you should at least factor in the inefficiency (ie underutilisation) of the D5/D4 VLIW architecture, which should not be an issue with GCN.

This time around OBR does seem to have access to slides, which look legit. Who knows, maybe he does have a source. But then again, the last time AMD put a launch forward was with the 4870/50, which turned out to be pretty nice. So if the rumours are correct, we'll know in a week's time.

Benetanegia

Assuming the same speed of the CUs, you should at least factor in the inefficiency (ie underutilisation) of the D5/D4 VLIW architecture, which should not be an issue with GCN.

That's the point, for graphics there is no big inefficiency. There was some for VLIW5 (~80% efficiency) but for VLIW4 it should be much better. I've not seen numbers for VLIW4 but for VLIW5 the average utilisation was 3.9 out of 5. Of course for VLIW 4 it won't be the same, it has to be slightly lower because 3.9 was achieved thanks to sometimes doing 5 of 5, but at least 3.6 is probable, also accounting for the performance compared to Barts and Cypress, etc.

You have to realise (everybody needs to) that AMD (and Nvidia a long time ago) has abandoned VLIW, not because it's inefficient for graphics, but because it's inefficient for GPGPU. From a graphics standpoint, they are not doing this because they want, they are doing it because they need to, because that's the only option if they want to ever enter the HPC market.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
I am not sure how well nVidia did in Tessellations but normally only the stuff that AMD want to get leaked actually gets leaked, from this i would read that the Tess improvement is 7970's biggest improvement.

I hope i am wrong.

Im confused. why would the massive tesselation improvement with the 7970 be a bad thing. Tesselation/Geometry processing has always been AMD card's weakest link.

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
Well, heaven is a great benchmark and that performance increase just made me hard.

Benetanegia

Im confused. why would the massive tesselation improvement with the 7970 be a bad thing. Tesselation/Geometry processing has always been AMD card's weakest link.

He is refering to the fact that they are only talking about tesselation improvement. With less than a week until release, they have not leaked a single performance chart other than that.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
To be honest with you, I'm very excited about these cards, and have really high hopes for them, I want a new DX11 card for my HTPC, and the XFX 6970 I recently ordered was DOA, so if these cards are half as fast as they are being hyped to be, I would gladly get one to replace my 285s, if not, we know AMD will price them accordingly and that'll lower the prices of cards like the 570 and the 6970, and I may give it another shot :p, so either way, it's a win-win scenario.

AMD needs a winner here, and although I wasn't happy about them buying Ati a few years back, you have to admit their latest GPUs and APUs are the only thing keeping both Intel and Nvidia from obscenelly increasing their prices, and that can only be good for us as costumers :)

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
He is refering to the fact that they are only talking about tesselation improvement. With less than a week until release, they have not leaked a single performance chart other than that.

Probably because with the new architecture of these cards thats the biggest improvement. I mean off course there is improvement in the other areas and a big one im pretty sure, but Tesselation has never been AMD cards thing. So I would think that they would try to improve that a bit for the new cards.

System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
I'm a fan of ATI/AMD graphics cards, so I hope these figures are accurate. But AMD earned my complete distrust of any of their marketing ploys with the Bulldozer fiasco.

Perhaps things are better now that they replaced their whole marketing team, but perhaps not.

Fortunately I don't need a new graphics card. In any case, I would advise anyone to wait an see independent reviews before purchasing anything from them.

Here’s the problem it could be disinformation plant by whomever, ATI never comments on the validly of such leaks… will not confirm or deny
All this would only indicate (if not tampered) is AMD has enough faith that tessellation will no longer be trailing Nvidia, and appears they have isolated and repaired that bottle neck. I look at it as a positive and one less item to concern ourselves with.

Processor Core i7 4710K
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Water
Memory Gelid 16GB
Video Card(s) HD5870, stock at the moment
Storage Kingston HyperX 256GB
Case Cosmos S
Power Supply BeQuiet Dark Power 750
Software Win7 x64
That's the point, for graphics there is no big inefficiency. There was some for VLIW5 (~80% efficiency) but for VLIW4 it should be much better. I've not seen numbers for VLIW4 but for VLIW5 the average utilisation was 3.9 out of 5. Of course for VLIW 4 it won't be the same, it has to be slightly lower because 3.9 was achieved thanks to sometimes doing 5 of 5, but at least 3.6 is probable, also accounting for the performance compared to Barts and Cypress, etc.

You have to realise (everybody needs to) that AMD (and Nvidia a long time ago) has abandoned VLIW, not because it's inefficient for graphics, but because it's inefficient for GPGPU. From a graphics standpoint, they are not doing this because they want, they are doing it because they need to, because that's the only option if they want to ever enter the HPC market.

VLIW was good for pushing vectors and points around. But modern engines have evolved way beyond that. There's lots of other calculations (shading, occlusion, etc) that VLIW architectures are not best suited for. So yes, while I realise that VLIW is good for geometry processing, I still believe that other workloads seen in games tend to be more GPGPU.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
ATI's cards have always been competitive, unlike some AMD CPU's, and I'm sure they are releasing this to gain any additional foothold they can with a competitive product offering.

Their software/support is/has always been their downfall, not the drivers, but the BS they promise and never deliver on, or hey, yeah, $600 for that card, and now buy this and this and this to make good on our advertisements.

Fortunately OpenCL and a clean "C" path for programmers will make everything better as long as MS buys in, and with it becoming part of the new DX on 8 it will be a shoo in for AMD and Nvidia.

Benetanegia

Probably because with the new architecture of these cards thats the biggest improvement.

That's the point. Of the games/benches shown there, which ones are getting the biggest improvement? Heaven and Crysis 2. The ones which are more heavily tesselated. Less tesselation, less performance improvement. If Heaven is on the Extreme tesselation preset, those results are not much better than a GTX 580 either.

The rest use less tesselation and their performance is shown as only 50% over HD6970. With no tesselation at all performance is probably significantly lower than 50% and there's the fact that this are the way way too much overinflated AMD PR slides, as usual. You have to take 20% off of those numbers to get the real thing.

Remember this?

VLIW was good for pushing vectors and points around. But modern engines have evolved way beyond that. There's lots of other calculations (shading, occlusion, etc) that VLIW architectures are not best suited for. So yes, while I realise that VLIW is good for geometry processing, I still believe that other workloads seen in games tend to be more GPGPU.

95% of games are console ports and that's not going to change. VLIW is perfectly well suited for games. You might see a 5-10% efficiency gain going with 1d shaders, you may also loose a 10-20% simply because it's a new architecture also.

But, well, I don't know why people say AMD's marketing department sucks. 1 year ago going with this exact same architecture approach was a really really bad idea, it added an unsourmountable ammount of transistors for no gain. Today, not only does not hurt performance, it will magically make it a lot better! AMD's marketing department sucks? They are gods. :respect:

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Tesselation/Geometry processing has always been AMD card's weakest link.

ATI were doing tesselation way ,way before nvidia and are on generation 5-6 or something nvidia were lagging behind and simply added i think 8 -16 tesselation engines into fermi to catch up, which it did but amd havent gone the same route and just thrown more tess units in , cos theirs are just better

and its slightly unimportant anyway because no ones using tesselation right, as it is check crysis 2,s underfloor oceans etc 20-30% increase from AMD would be fine if they get 50%-4x in some games hows that bad

and why do some fags spend their eves shitting on others dreams for a buzz wagwan wi that fanboys do my nut

and imho the move to compute units and MIMD instead of simd and vliw is due to the constant switching between compute and rendering tasks taking a toll on performance ,another aspect of 7xxx performance increase will be multi threaded capabillty ie it can run more then 1 thread at the same time and also its supprort of iommu may up performance too all in its worth keeping an eye on

Last edited:
marketing ploys with the Bulldozer fiasco
Again, “ATI” never comments on the validly of such leaks… will not confirm or deny.

But the management AMD (CPU side) that was there a year ago had "loose lips" and we known what results. I think Rory and a new PR structure will hold to what ATI side has done, which more often has worked for them, strategic plants, orchestrated talking points, controlling the presentation and effect.

That was the issue BD… A Peacock parade (executives) flapping their wings way too early and not on any talking points. Then the bad news and egos and finger pointing… then everything went out of control. Had AMD came in and calmed waters, clarified the massage, tempered expectations and not say anything (or not used the FX designation), upon release even when late it could have gone better. Rory was right to shake down the PR side… for a part of that disaster.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
ATI were doing tesselation way ,way before nvidia and are on generation 5-6 or something nvidia were lagging behind and simply added i think 8 -16 tesselation engines into fermi to catch up, which it did but amd havent gone the same route and just thrown more tess units in , cos theirs are just better

and its slightly unimportant anyway because no ones using tesselation right, as it is check crysis 2,s underfloor oceans etc 20-30% increase from AMD would be fine if they get 50%-4x in some games hows that bad

and why do some fags spend their eves shitting on others dreams for a buzz wagwan wi that fanboys do my nut

and imho the move to compute units and MIMD instead of simd and vliw is due to the constant switching between compute and rendering tasks taking a toll on performance ,another aspect of 7xxx performance increase will be multi threaded capabillty ie it can run more then 1 thread at the same time and also its supprort of iommu may up performance too all in its worth keeping an eye on

I guess, but Ati cards ever since the HD2900 have been running virtually the same architecture. jsut added new ram controllers, more Sps and tweaked it in the 6xxx series for one more tesselation engine. From the Gt2xx to the GT4xx(even though the 4xx series is a giant chip to suck power, not nessecarily perform:D) was new and now the geometry processing of Fermi still is not beat by AMD offering.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Tesselation is overrated and overused/not implemented correctly by some.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Tesselation is overrated and overused/not implemented correctly by some.

I don't think tessellation is over rated, definitely not used in the right ways though.

IMO tessellation should be used when your right up close to something, mostly on things like bricks/details and things like that.

No need for it to smooth edges and stuff as that's not all that noticeable.

Also dynamic tessellation so you can smash a guys face in would be nice.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I don't think tessellation is over rated, definitely not used in the right ways though.

IMO tessellation should be used when your right up close to something, mostly on things like bricks/details and things like that.

I agree with your post, I'm saying it's currently overrated in it's current form and/or the way it's been implemented.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro

+1

id use it on terrain though also pantherx12
but not allways extreme tesselation ,it should be graded on the objects importance in the scene ie near stuff more detail far stuff a bit of tess not just random kerbs or 1 level of a game

essentially fanboys do my head in with their mindless waffle and debate damn smooth

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
It is overrated, but on somethings i like what it does to the visuals.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
i personally think its fine that a card vender will focus its pr on the good point of its card or to bend benchmark makers, their way to make their cards look good , i dont mind at all their tryin at least and something may yet come of it imho its just better to take all tech news with enthusiasm and a big pinch of salt im allways eager for every bit of tech,,,,, to be reviewed and properly then i can really get excited ,or not.

System Name Red Matter 2
Processor Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Water is Masterliquid 240 Pro
Memory GeiL EVO X 3600mhz 32g also G.Skill Ripjaw series 5 4x8 3600mhz as backup lol
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX 6800
Storage EVO 860. Rocket Q M.2 SSD WD Blue M.2 SSD Seagate Firecuda 2tb storage.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG32VQ
Case Phantek P400 Glass
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA G3 850
Mouse Roccat Military/ Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Razer Chroma
Software W10
Honestly mate, Unigine is a benchmark too. But you make a sweeping statement about not trusting any benchmarking utility out there, mate.

So what is it really mate? And besides mate, if you further check on Tech Report's revisions on their methodology, FPS isn't exactly the ultimate factor, mate.

Yup...you need some good old fashioned remedial sarcasm training...mate

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11